IGNORED

Beckford

I still can't see much appeal in this signing apart from zero transfer fee, from watching a few leeds games this season I just don't see him doing enough which isn't so bad when he's scoring for fun (in the 3rd tier!!) but recently he's made the Yak look like Usain Bolt and completely dropped off with the scoring. I'd have thought being dropped to the bench and brought on 2nd half for a few games would have made him want to prove himself but nothing seems to have changed.

That being said since beating United the whole Leeds team have gone seriously off the boil so this surely hasn't helped his case, so I guess as a 3rd/4th choice striker to come off the bench and maybe nick a few goals a season and if his wages are low he might be worth the risk, however much I don't wanna see him wearing royal blue I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

but i agree he's not good enough for a top 8 prem team, but he may be good enough to have as a 3rd choice, you've got to bear in mind we still have the yak and saha, we wouldn't be signing him to play everygame.

jb is hit and miss, sometimes as you say he can be off he boil, but he can make one run out of nowhere and itll change the game, he can make things happen.

Yeah understand that Mike, and i suppose as a free, he could offer something that we haven't already got.

It would have just been nice to see a tiny bit more ambition in the signing ala. Milito two seasons ago, admitedly he came out and said that Everton weren't big enough for him and the following season went to Inter in a big bucks deal. If I heard we were tring to sign a bosman of that quality/calibre then fine but like you say as a third choice if he can come on and change the game, then thats enough to warrent his (im guessing) relatively low wages?

might only play 5 games :P

any idea how much the wages would be? can't imagine them being high..well worth a free and cheap wage as a punt if you ask me..71 goals in 124 games granted not at the highest level but who knows what he could do with better players around him? i'd be happy at gettin him on a free and as said he is young enough to get a couple million from in a season if he doesn't do that well

guys, moyes doesnt fuck up to many times in the market, granted he has done a few times but this will cost us bugger all if he signs. He obviously sees something in him that will improve the squad! look at the likes of doyle for reading a few seasons ago! was playing in the irish league and didnt he come in and bang in 20 goals?

Get him in on a free, see what he's like, if he's shit loan him to a Championship club to raise interest & sell him next summer for £2-3mill. Simples.

To be honest i'm gutted we are getting linked with players of his ilk but as a business transaction we cant really lose on it.

Becchio is awful Bill, I get to see Leeds quite a bit and he's nowhere near good enough for us.

to the person who wasn't sure about vaughan - when he scores 30 a season i might reconsider, ok he's been i nthe championship but he's hardly set it alight

and to spiderman, the poitn stands, his finishing is average...the amount of times ive teased my mate this seasons about beckford not being able to finish his dinner. unfortunately its not as simple as that either when it comes to improving a player, he's not 16 or anything...finishing is quite a natural thing

Vaughan also hasn't ever played a full season of football. I'm not saying he's the answer for us up front, I think unfortunately injuries may have wrecked his chances of a top-flight career. I agree with you on Beckford though, his scoring record is impressive but he's played most of his career in the third tier or below, he gets a hell of a lot of chances to score those goals which he just wouldnt get a sniff at in the Prem

Vaughan also hasn't ever played a full season of football. I'm not saying he's the answer for us up front, I think unfortunately injuries may have wrecked his chances of a top-flight career. I agree with you on Beckford though, his scoring record is impressive but he's played most of his career in the third tier or below, he gets a hell of a lot of chances to score those goals which he just wouldnt get a sniff at in the Prem

Take on board that he might need a lot of chances to get the goals return that he has but doesnt he have to be taking up the right positions and being in the right places to fashion these chances..... that coupled with the fact that he will be linking up with better quality, more creative players in our beloved team surely peeps as stated earlier in the thread for me, for free an absolute no brainer!!!!!!

we'll probably offer him a 5 year deal on 60k a week though, because we're seemingly happy to pay over the odds for contracts...funny that we never have any money to spend when the likes of saha and neville are on like 10 year deal earning in excess of 50k...next week we'll tie distin down for another 5 years worth 60k a week and then give ossie a rise and offer young coleman 30k to stay at the club

Edited by CraccerC

I've heard of Beckford but know nothing about him. Free transfer, right? Where's the harm? I can't see Moyes making a very big mistake anyway when it comes to bringing players in. Players out thought? That might be a different story once all the rumours are proven true or false. If I see Peinaar, Arteta or Rodwell go, mesa won't be happy!