Louis

The Odd News Thread

Woman calls 999 over broken eggs in fridge

A woman called 999 for advice on storing a cracked egg in her fridge.

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) said it was just one of several inappropriate calls they had received in the last six months.

Other examples included a caller who complained of suffering with toothache and another who wanted their breakfast making.

Last month, EMAS received almost 60,000 emergency 999 calls - a small proportion of which were deemed inappropriate.

Just now, rubecula said:

Woman calls 999 over broken eggs in fridge

A woman called 999 for advice on storing a cracked egg in her fridge.

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) said it was just one of several inappropriate calls they had received in the last six months.

Other examples included a caller who complained of suffering with toothache and another who wanted their breakfast making.

Last month, EMAS received almost 60,000 emergency 999 calls - a small proportion of which were deemed inappropriate.

:mellow:

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Nothing compared to this. My uncle was a fisherman up there in the seventies, really tough job (for those left behind as well, aunt killed herself:().

Bloke swims the length of the English Channel (Land's End to Dover, 348 miles) in support of cleaning up the oceans, and is met by Michael Gove.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45332167

If I'd seen Gove waiting on the beach I'd have turned around and swum back to Land's End!

19 hours ago, MikeO said:

Bloke swims the length of the English Channel (Land's End to Dover, 348 miles) in support of cleaning up the oceans, and is met by Michael Gove.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45332167

If I'd seen Gove waiting on the beach I'd have turned around and swum back to Land's End!

I’d be asking myself “how did a blobfish get into a suit and survive on dry land?”

22 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Harvesting scallops using industrial-scale scraping off the Normandie coast, under the noses of French fishermen abiding by a conservation policy... I'm with the French on this one.

I wonder how this is being reported in the UK as the article Mike posted shows how differently UK and Iceland media portrayed the Cod Wars and the effect it had on sustaining the conflict.

2 minutes ago, holystove said:

Harvesting scallops using industrial-scale scraping off the Normandie coast, under the noses of French fishermen abiding by a conservation policy... I'm with the French on this one.

Me too.

Fishing is an area that's going to be difficult post Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/10/ostend-fishing-fleet-fears-brexit-return-to-british-waters

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-fishing-industry-brexit-eu-subsidies-fishermen-european-union-market-a7954641.html

Driving through Woodley yesterday (about 4 miles from Reading).  About 100 yards ahead, I saw two policeman on the pavement, just standing watching approaching traffic.  Immediately suspecting a speed trap I slowed down.  As I got closer I saw that they were in paramilitary uniform and were both holding sub-machine guns.  Don't know what that was all about and haven't been able to find out yet.  Thought I was in Birkenhead for a minute!