Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Gary Ablett 1965 - 2012, R.I.P

Never forget that goal that he scored against West Ham in 1994, under Mike Walker. Arguably a major contribution to us staying up given we ended a horrendous run.

Wishing him all the best.

Just heard this on SSN. I didn't know he was suffering with cancer. Such a young age and an awful time of the year for his family.

RIP Gary and thank you.

RIP Gary, done some great work with our youth players, the only player to win a FA Cup as a blue and Red. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

(null)

I was there in November 94 when he scored the winner against West Ham, stooping header. We were desperate, hadn't won in ages. Remember the noise at the end, deafening whistles begging the ref to blow up, we were under the cosh big time. One of those games where I was close to tears through the tension.

Heard the news earlier today but didn't get a chance to comment

He was only here for a short time after the making the short journey over but he was a good, honest professional and the game will be poorer for his passing. Played in the Rideout Final and picked up an FA cup winners medal to add to his collection and I remember him scoring a few when Walker first took charge, he did an interview after the last day Wimbledon game in 1994 and talked about all what happened that day, scoring an own goal that actually nearly relegated the club and all the emotions of the day, he came across as a fine man. My sympathies to his family and loved ones at this difficult time. sad.png