IGNORED

Goodison Park - New Building Development Plans

This is the full article on the Echo and LDP site:

EVERTON FC'S star £9m retail and hospitality development will now not open until the summer of 2012.

The scheme is part of the club's response to the need for it to grow its commercial revenues while it looks for a financially-viable way to build a new stadium.

It was launched at a shareholders' forum last August and the scheme received planning permission in November.The four-storey building – which will house a shop, museum, café, corporate hospitality and offices – was expected to be completed by this autumn but the opening date slipped to Christmas.

However the club today said a decision had been taken to delay opening until summer 2012.

The club say the complexities surrounding IT moves and office relocation make it sensible to avoid a mid-season move.

Everton FC spokesman Ian Ross said: "This has been the acknowledged target date for some time as operationally it would have been difficult to open it mid-season. All of our partners are happy with the current timetable.

"This is a complex project involving several partners which when completed will deliver a prestigious multi-use building, one which will unquestionably benefit both club and supporters."

Everton FC chief executive Robert Elstone said in a blog on the club's website four weeks ago "We expect to start work soon as we wade through some complex legal matters."

Today Mr Ross denied legal issues were the cause of the schedule change.

This was the original article which seems to have been pulled?

EVERTON FC'S retail and office development has been delayed by a year after getting caught in "a legal quagmire".

Last month the club expected the £9m scheme, which was launched in August and received planning permission in November, to be completed by this autumn. The four-storey building will house a 10,000 sq ft shop, museum, café, corporate hospitality and offices.

The Club Everton marquee, which had been on the Park End car park, was removed before Christmas and the Dixie Dean statue was moved in early February in preparation for building work to begin.

But the project, which is being funded by club partners Kitbag and Sodexo, has been hit by a major delay, which has put back the expected completion date to summer 2012.

Everton FC chief executive Robert Elstone hinted at potential obstacles in a blog on the club's website, evertonfc.com, four weeks ago. "We expect to start work soon as we wade through some complex legal matters," he said.

Those plans have now been pulled back with a source blaming "a legal quagmire" for the delay. The club has decided that if a pre-Christmas opening is not possible, there is little benefit from opening the development in the second half of the 2011-12 season.

Everton FC spokesman Ian Ross said: "This has been the acknowledged target date for some time as operationally it would have been difficult to open it mid-season. All of our partners are happy with the current timetable.

"This is a complex project involving several partners which when completed will deliver a prestigous multi-use building, one which will unquestionably benefit both club and supporters."

The delay will come as a blow to the club, which was forced into a robust defence of its financial position when it published its accounts last month.

They showed debt levels at Goodison had risen to £45m and Mr Elstone admitted the club was "walking a financial tightrope".

With a new stadium off the agenda until the club can find a "viable funding model", it is looking to grow existing revenue streams, especially merchandise and corporate sales.

It is also continuing its search for a major investor – and one who can "accept that a big part of the return will be the profile and excitement of owning a football club", according to Mr Elstone.

In one article they blame legal problems, in the other they say legal problems aren't the reason for the delay.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering what you lot think of a ground share with us Reds ?

I'm fully against it. I don't mean that in an Anti-Liverpool way but I wanted Everton to have a unique 'home'. Not one which would be ground-shared with our rivals. It would cause too many problems for me, I mean I coulden't face having the statue of Shankly right outside my end of the ground, I'd want to go and watch Everton surrounded by Everton heroes not by ones from across the park who I don't look up to.

If it secured the future of both clubs then why not.

It could be one of the best grounds in football, and with the costs shared would release much needed revenue. I would hope it would be a large stadium, of around 70-80,000 and that there could be a 50 - 50 allocation for Derby matches, instead of the minority percentage for away fans.

Can you imagine a full house of that magnitude on Derby day?

The biggest problem would be getting the Derbies though, as unless we draw each other in the cup, we are unlikely to face each other next season, what, with Liverpool playing 2nd tier Championship football. happy.png

I'm fully against it. I don't mean that in an Anti-Liverpool way but I wanted Everton to have a unique 'home'. Not one which would be ground-shared with our rivals. It would cause too many problems for me, I mean I coulden't face having the statue of Shankly right outside my end of the ground, I'd want to go and watch Everton surrounded by Everton heroes not by ones from across the park who I don't look up to.

Sit at the other end of the ground then. Is uniqueness worth £300+ mil?

Just wondering what you lot think of a ground share with us Reds ?

Id be all for it. There was a great idea being thrown about a couple of years ago where Everton build a side and an end, Liverpool do the same. So effectively we build half a stadium each. Could be quite cost effective too.

Personally had an idea of using the Littlewoods building on edge lane for a stadium. Given its history in the city and the Moores family history with both clubs it could be spectacular. Already on the motorway route, aswell as having Wavertree Tech Park station down the road and the widening of edge lane already on the go. It could be iconic on the way into the city, and the amount of green space lost in the park could be replaced at both Anfield and Goodison if the council did a land swap.

To let my imagination run wild; the council could build a stand onto the existing building and also build the opposite side, let the clubs build an end each (a sort of Kop and Gwladys) then rent the stadium to the clubs on a match day. Club offices located in their own ends. Changing rooms (three of them, one each and visitors) and make the corporate facilities neutral but adaptable depending on who is the home team.

Got a bit lost in my own fantasy there.

How do you feel about sharing Stuart?

Football is a competition. We should aim to be better than Liverpool on and off the pitch, and a stadium is huge to a club's identity. I want a better stadium than Liverpool, I want better fans than Liverpool, I want better atmospheres than Liverpool etc. If we shared ground, all new potential fans would see is one club filling the stadium, in the media spotlight and another not filling the stadium and looking inferior

Football is a competition. We should aim to be better than Liverpool on and off the pitch, and a stadium is huge to a club's identity. I want a better stadium than Liverpool, I want better fans than Liverpool, I want better atmospheres than Liverpool etc. If we shared ground, all new potential fans would see is one club filling the stadium, in the media spotlight and another not filling the stadium and looking inferior

Liverpool fans might stick around once they're relegated, they don't acknowledge Man U for winning more stuff than them, so it will be a few years before they swap to Chelsea/Arsenal/City wink.png.

As for us, anything over 30,000 is a sell out. We get near 40,000 for big games, which means we have fans who can't even see half the pitch so paying £40 to just be in the ground which gives me the belief that if the ground had better views, more fans would come. Personally, if there is only poor seats left I don't go.

I want a Bentley Continental convertible and a private jet to travel the world but might have to settle for sharing a taxi or thumbing a lift.

Totally agree.

Everton need a home that we can make our fortress and one that we can be famed for.

I want to turn up to a blue stadium with Everton flags everywhere and our history on proud display!

http://upload.wikime...zarenacombo.jpg

Everton and Liverpool have won loads of honours and have lots of history, but there will still be enough room to fit as much memorabilia as you can imagine into a football stadium. They won't even need to share changing rooms. Goodison is barely used other than every other weekend, you wouldn't notice if another team was already playing there on the alternating weeks.

Edited by pete0

Id be all for it. There was a great idea being thrown about a couple of years ago where Everton build a side and an end, Liverpool do the same. So effectively we build half a stadium each. Could be quite cost effective too.

Personally had an idea of using the Littlewoods building on edge lane for a stadium. Given its history in the city and the Moores family history with both clubs it could be spectacular. Already on the motorway route, aswell as having Wavertree Tech Park station down the road and the widening of edge lane already on the go. It could be iconic on the way into the city, and the amount of green space lost in the park could be replaced at both Anfield and Goodison if the council did a land swap.

To let my imagination run wild; the council could build a stand onto the existing building and also build the opposite side, let the clubs build an end each (a sort of Kop and Gwladys) then rent the stadium to the clubs on a match day. Club offices located in their own ends. Changing rooms (three of them, one each and visitors) and make the corporate facilities neutral but adaptable depending on who is the home team.

Got a bit lost in my own fantasy there.

How do you feel about sharing Stuart?

It's a great topic isn't it !!

I think a ground share would be a good idea as neither club appear to have the funds to go it alone. But it would have to be a 70 or 80 thousand searer wouldn't it ?

I was in Liverpool a month ago and did the stadium tours (yes your stadium too) and couldn't help thinking how good it would be to have a stadium on the waterfront somewhere with loads of restaurants and shops and stuff around it.

We will both never challenge the manc's unless we sort our stadium issues

Liverpool fans might stick around once they're relegated, they don't acknowledge Man U for winning more stuff than them, so it will be a few years before they swap to Chelsea/Arsenal/City wink.png.

As for us, anything over 30,000 is a sell out. We get near 40,000 for big games, which means we have fans who can't even see half the pitch so paying £40 to just be in the ground which gives me the belief that if the ground had better views, more fans would come. Personally, if there is only poor seats left I don't go.

I will always support Liverpool and there is always a place in my heart for both merseyside clubs as I love the people of Liverpool. Always been friendly to me and my family when we visit the city from down south, and I would never support Chelsea etc lol

The Allainz arena in Munich is a good example of how ground shares can work . When Bayern play it turns red, when Munich 1860 play it turns blue. Voila!

I can't link it on my phone but if you type in Allainz arena red to blue on YouTube you can see it 'in action'.

If a new shared stadium would provide financial security and income for the future then we'd be foolish not to do it. I can't see investment whilst we are still at Goodison.

And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't build a Shankly statue outside it!

The Allainz arena in Munich is a good example of how ground shares can work . When Bayern play it turns red, when Munich 1860 play it turns blue. Voila!

I can't link it on my phone but if you type in Allainz arena red to blue on YouTube you can see it 'in action'.

If a new shared stadium would provide financial security and income for the future then we'd be foolish not to do it. I can't see investment whilst we are still at Goodison.

And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't build a Shankly statue outside it!

Maybe they could bung shanks outside your dressing room yay.gif lol

I believe a groundshare is maybe the only way forward, especialy in the financial climate we find ourselves in and I wouldnt have a problem with sharing with Everton FC.

I know there is rivalry but there is not hatred like what exists between Liverpool and Utd ?

Edited by stuart1971

I want a Bentley Continental convertible and a private jet to travel the world but might have to settle for sharing a taxi or thumbing a lift.

Amusing, but I'm sure many people do have a Bentley so it's not impossible if you have the nous to get it.

Edited by paul

Couldn't help but grudgingly liking Shankly myself....many admirable qualities (colour blindness asidewink.png ). Proper honest working class bloke who never lost touch with where he came from.

I think football has changed too much nowadays to have that working class foundation, its all about money and making the big owners happy.

Benetiz had a bit of a fan/manager relationship and from what I can see so does moyes

Couldn't help but grudgingly liking Shankly myself....many admirable qualities (colour blindness asidewink.png ). Proper honest working class bloke who never lost touch with where he came from.

He was a blue really though!

"I have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It is scandalous that I should have to write these things about the club that I helped build into what it is today."

That's why we'll always be the People's Club!