IGNORED

Jags And Baines Call-up?

MikeO

Jags in but not Baines...

Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Capello seems to have got a problem with Baines for some reason :mellow: .

"Capello seems to have got a problem with Baines for some reason"

England's loss. However this early in the season I'd not like to risk injuries to any of our players in a meaningless friendly.

Edited by Gwlad all over

I'm not being funny, but the more I look at this guy the more I think he hasn't really got a clue. What he should be doing is bringing in the young players and getting a young team ready for the championships in two or even four years time - I thought that was what everyone agreed after this year's fiasco(?).

Instead, he's asking players like Wes Brown and Paul Robinson, both 30+ (granted for a keeper that's not such a bad age), who at least have the decency to refuse the selection and resign as internationals. And on top of that he leaves out players like Rodwell, who have proven themselves at under 21 level, and was arguably the best young English player in the premier league last season. (Maybe that last statement is a bit biased, but at least top 10 - which should easily make the team.)

It's people like Jack Rodwell, that I think he should be building his team around, picking players, that are going to be hitting there prime in two-fours years time, not the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Zamora, who are going to be hitting their mid-thirties. Give these young lads the chances to play, get them playing as a team, give them the confidence to play, and work it out so that they are hitting their prime (individually and as a team) when the championships come round.

If I was Capello (and the FA for that matter), I'd be aiming for the big prize - To take the World Cup home on Brazilian soil in four years time. Sod the Euro's I'd be using that as a opportunity to give the team the necessary experience for playing in a major tournament, then using that experience as a platform for then going on to win the World Cup. English fans are not that arsed about winning the Euro's, it's the big prize every one wants.

But wtf do I know, I don't even support this team.

What is it with foriegn England managers and Everton players?? Play for anyone else and you can act like a tw4t publicly slaughter the manager and play like you couldnt give a toss and guarantee a starting place!!!! We had players last season who played better than any of that lot that went the world cup and still get they still get ignored seriously what more can they do??

I'm not being funny, but the more I look at this guy the more I think he hasn't really got a clue. What he should be doing is bringing in the young players and getting a young team ready for the championships in two or even four years time - I thought that was what everyone agreed after this year's fiasco(?).

Instead, he's asking players like Wes Brown and Paul Robinson, both 30+ (granted for a keeper that's not such a bad age), who at least have the decency to refuse the selection and resign as internationals. And on top of that he leaves out players like Rodwell, who have proven themselves at under 21 level, and was arguably the best young English player in the premier league last season. (Maybe that last statement is a bit biased, but at least top 10 - which should easily make the team.)

It's people like Jack Rodwell, that I think he should be building his team around, picking players, that are going to be hitting there prime in two-fours years time, not the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Zamora, who are going to be hitting their mid-thirties. Give these young lads the chances to play, get them playing as a team, give them the confidence to play, and work it out so that they are hitting their prime (individually and as a team) when the championships come round.

If I was Capello (and the FA for that matter), I'd be aiming for the big prize - To take the World Cup home on Brazilian soil in four years time. Sod the Euro's I'd be using that as a opportunity to give the team the necessary experience for playing in a major tournament, then using that experience as a platform for then going on to win the World Cup. English fans are not that arsed about winning the Euro's, it's the big prize every one wants.

But wtf do I know, I don't even support this team.

Sums it up for me!

Exactly what I said after the shambles of a World Cup from England.

Jags was good obviously let down by Dawson and an unfortunate touch.

Gerrard was world-class in the second half, absolute quality. That second goal was incredible.

The various 2 centre midfielders did their job but it's a waste having box-to-box players in that sitting positiong. Barry and Milner both don't have the long passing range to play there and Lampard is wasted. Rodwell and Huddlestone would be far far better choices in that position.

Really didn't get Capello's choices for his first 4-2-3-1 incarnation. Natural wingers on their preferred side? What's the point having wide men when you only have 1 player in the box? Surely the advantage of 4-2-3-1 is that it gives you the ability to play inside forwards with Johnson on the right and Walcott on the left getting into the box and A. Cole and G. Johnson getting space to bomb up the wing?

In the first half you had Walcott and Johnson on the touchlines with no space for G. Johnson or A. Cole to get forward... Walcott and A Johnson crossing the ball at the lone Rooney, Gerrard having no time to get into the box and 6 defensive players with 2 screening midfielders and full backs not making forward runs.

If Moyes did that I'd be screaming at him all day. So much for 'tactical' italians eh?

EDIT: Was very impressed with Gibbs. Very much like Ashley Cole if Ashley Cole wasn't a cunt and/or had a right foot.

PS. Rooney was shite.

Ratings:

Hart: 7

G. Johnson: 6.5

Terry: 6

Jagielka 7

A. Cole 6

Lampard: 6.5

Barry: 6.5

Gerrard: 8.5

A. Johnson: 6.5

Walcott: 7

Rooney 6

Subs:

Gibbs: 7

Dawson: 6

Zamora: 7.5

Wilshere: 6 (Didn't see enough of him)

Milner: 6.5

Young: 7

Edited by Ian C

I agree with most of that, although with rose tinted specs on I think I would have given Jags an 8. He did nothing wrong that I can remember, and he did clear that Dawson cockup off the line. (OK it was given as a goal)

But other than that I totally agree with Ian.

Ive got to admit i didnt really pay to much attention to this stupidly timed friendly but its becoming apparent to me that Cappello is a fantastic manager at club level but fcukin useless at international level!! Surely im not the only one to think that?? Well done Jags your first full cap pity you should have got it 5 weeks ago in Sth Africa!! How the hell did Carragher get there ahead of him??

I was at the game last night and was really impressed with Jags. Just a shame that all the Spurs fans booed him at every touch because he wasn't Dawson. Idiots.

I've written an article (well more of a rant) about what it's like attending England games now and the complete tools that you witness.

This Is England

I'm going to start off with an apology. This article is not going to be for the faint hearted. This is full of bile and misguided anger that has built for a good long while. If you disagree with me then fantastic, opinions are a great thing. Leave a comment and we can discuss it until the cows come home, but for the moment strap yourselves in and welcome to the world of my anger.

Let's start with some positives from last night. First and foremost England won. Gerrard once reverted to his favoured central role finally performed like the world class midfielder that he can be, Terry and Jags made for a solid enough partnership in the first half, Kierran Gibbs came in and gave a very competent performance that was full of future promise. They are the positives, but this article is not really about the performance or the result. Its about the event so bare with me.

A lot has been made about the importance of giving youth a chance, but it wasn't the youth on the pitch that impressed me it was the youth packed into the stadium. Last night was the seventh time I have been to Wembley in recent years and never before have I seen so many kids attending a game. You just don't see this enough at football anymore, let alone at an international match. This is a huge positive. It's just a shame that the experience was spoilt by a bunch of mindless cretins who should know better, and that's not a reference to the England players.

What's the point? Honestly. You sit there and you think, just what is the point? Sat in a magnificent stadium surrounded by a bunch of fans, most of whom I really would not urinate on if they where on fire, I would however probably happily urinate on them in any other situation though.

It wasn't just the booing that got to me, it wasn't just the painfully embarresing club loyalties that exist, it wasn't just the guy sat to my right blowing a bloody vuvuzela in my ear for the entirety of the game, it wasn't just the grumpy Aston Villa fan sat to my left who kept on getting Ashley Young confused with Kierran Gibbs, it wasn't just the guy in a Stone Island jacket who threatened to knock out a seventy year old Hungary fan for celebrating their goal, it wasn't just the guy who took a piss in the sink of the toilets, it wasn't just the bunch of piss heads sat in front of me who barely watched three passes get strung together because they were to engrossed in their pathetic xenophobic chatter. It was the whole lot. All of it together. This is England? It was sickening. For the second home international in a row I felt the need to apologise to a group of away fans, with my very embarrassed and beffudled "oh I'm so sorry, we're not all like that". This is England. This is England United. Its a disgrace really. The press make a lot of the fact that the players are bad role models for the kids because of their off the field antics. Bull. The kids don't care what happens off the park, they don't understand what happens off the park and most likely they don't know what happens off the park. I grew up with Gazza in his pomp for England, he was no saint but that didn't matter to me at all. I didn't know what he did in his spare time and it didn't matter to me. What mattered was what he was doing on the pitch. When he celebrated with the dentist chair I wasn't thinking "ooo I could really go for a bit of a booze now" I was thinking how brilliant football was. I discussed this with fellow Those Feet writer Luke Edwards and he made the brilliant point that when he grew up it was his parents that where his role models. That's how it should be, if you don't set the example yourself and expect some young sportsman with more money than sense to set the examples of how to live then you can't complain when they grow up like thuggish cretins. The bloke in the Stone Island jacket, whom I referred to earlier, at one point picked up his son, who could only have been five years old at most, and kissed him on the cheek after Gerrard got his second goal. For a moment it warmed my heart, I thought that maybe their was still hope. This was until he turned around, son still in his arms, and yelled at a Hungarian family a few rows away "have that you stupid c***s, now f**k off back to where you came from". This is England.

But who's to say I'm any better than the people I berate? I'm sat there with my notepad and my holier than thou attitude and my snarling looks and my bitter resentment. I'm no better. I'm just the flip side of the coin and neither of us can be right in the bigger picture. Perhaps I'm too weary and perhaps I don't communicate in the passionate grunts that seem to be in vogue with these cretins. But I'm English. We're all the problem and I'm tired of it. Once we're back on the same page then we're moving in the same direction. Unfortunately half of us are studying Ulyses and the other half are still confused by Spot The Dog.

The same is true of the England team. The lack of genuine communication throughout the team that has been apparent for a number of years now is unnerving. Each department connect well within each other but the link up between, say defence and midfield, is non existent. Fabio seems to have tried to instill a pass and move mentality in the team, but like with the fans in the stadium we have some players quoting Plato and some sounding out each word of the Mr Men series. Our Italian correspondent, Andrew Buonocore, spoke of how the mentality of the Italians has already moved on from looking at the national team in terms of shame and anger and have moved on to think in terms of change. We have yet to move on from that. As a team and as a set of fans we continually live in a state of shame, and with 44 years without success you think we would have got over ourselves. In a certain way it's very much like The Emperors New Clothes. We drape ourselves in the surroundings of a state of the art stadium telling all the world that "don't we look marvellou, aren't we brilliant, don't we deserve success now, just look at us". Take a step back and we're all just naked and the fancy vestiges we think we drape ourselves in are nothing.

I'm not sure what it is about England games which brings the cretins out of the woodwork. I've been to league games up and down the country and not experienced anything like it, and it's not about the quality of football that is on display. I've seen some abject performances and still had a brilliant time at a game. For example, despite not supporting them myself, I have attended many many Walsall games. I've witnessed some stunning games at Bescot Stadium. One that jumps to mind is the 2003 game against West Brom, in which the newly promoted Walsall faced a West Brom side that had just come down from the Premier League. Thanks to an inspired debut performance from Paul Merson, before he went all boozy and (allegedly) druggy again and pissed it up the wall, Walsall won 4-1 and for a brief moment sat atop the Championship. Now despite games like this I have also seen a few displays at Bescot that were hardly trouser tighteningly tantalisng, and the saddler faithful won't really disagree with me there, but the experience can be fantastic. The banter, the jokes, the commeradorie. You just don't get that at England games and it's a crying shame as this should be the time when we all come together. But attitutdes, over important club loyalties and an over inflatted sense of worth always get in the way.

We're not an awful team, we know that. But we're not a great team either, and it's that which we need to grasp now. The fancy stadium and large pay packets belie a huge and ongoing problem. We don't really have history, we had a good tourement 44 years ago. This doesn't mean a god given right to success. Hopefully the kids in attendance will grow up knowing this, hopefully the kids coming through in the team know this. Then we can rid ourselves of this albatros that has hung so heavy around our necks. Football is a wondeful thing but the experience shouldn't make me feel like this. The continual Americanistion of the game has got out of hand and the press have rammed it into our heads that we deserve success and that we can achieve anything we want as long as we rid the league of foreign talent. The whole thing is an endemic. This is England now and I just don't know what to think anymore. I'm too young to feel this much bitterness and anger at a meanignless friendly. Perhaps the passion I feel towards this is a good thing, then again perhaps this is exactly what is wrong with fan mentality.

By Jamie Maher

Edited by jamiemaher85

Just seen this posted on Kipper from the Daily Mail

JAGIELKA: 6/10

Missed two good opportunities and looked off the pace at times. At fault for own goal.

DAWSON: 7/10

Has been waiting for this chance and didn't disappoint. Looks comfortable at this level.

Are they fucking for real? :blink:

What the God damn hell?!