IGNORED

Coleman Wins Award

Ian C

Seamus Coleman has been named the Irish U-21 Player of the Year.

efc__1281288061_coleman494.jpg

Seamus Coleman has won the FAI Under-21s International Player of the Year award.

The Everton right-back received the prestigious Irish football award upon the Reserves' arrival in Ireland for their final pre-season friendly against Sligo Rovers on Sunday evening.

Coleman was presented with an impressive glass trophy in recognition of his outstanding performances on the international stage during the 2009/10 season.

He has represented his homeland both at Under-21 and Under-23 level, having made a total of nine appearances for the Under-21s set-up.

Donegal-born Coleman has made excellent progress this season, helping Blackpool win promotion to the Premier League during his loan spell at Bloomfield Road earlier this year.

And as he continues his regular international involvement he will link up with the Under 21s straight after Sunday's game for their European Championship qualifier against Estonia in Dublin's Tallaght Stadium on Tuesday night.

Although quite shocked to have received the accolade, the 21-year-old was delighted to have been recognised by his country for his achievements during the last 12 months.

"I knew I was nominated about a week ago and I didn't really think I had a chance of winning it, but I’m delighted to win it - it's something that I didn't think I'd get," Coleman told evertonfc.com.

"This award obviously shows that I've made a lot of progress since I came to Everton and it's definitely helped me win this award."

Coleman has featured regularly in Everton's 2010 pre-season schedule and linked-up with the Blues' second-string for the game with his former club only 12 hours after returning from the first team's 2-0 defeat to VfL Wolfsburg.

Coleman broke into Sligo's first team at just 18 years of age and played there for two-and-a-half seasons before switching to Everton in February 2009.

After sustaining a nasty foot injury which prevented his involvement in Everton's pre-season campaign in 2009, he was pleased that David Moyes has involved him so much in the summer schedule this time around.

"After last year I just wanted to enjoy training and get some games - I got more games than I actually expected and I’m quite happy with how they went," Coleman continued.

"I got some first team experience last season at Blackpool that I enjoyed, and now I'm going to try and get as many games as possible at Everton.

"They love their football here in Sligo, and I have great memories of my time here, and I've always kept an eye on them since I left too.

"There are lots of good young players coming through in Ireland; you can see that in their international set-up. Shane Duffy is another player in the Republic of Ireland set-up who will have a good future as well."

Fellow Irishman Duffy has also travelled to Ireland for Sunday's match - his first piece of competitive football since his life-threatening accident in May.

"It's brilliant to see Duffy back," Coleman added. "I think a lot of people actually realise how lucky he is and he was very close to maybe not even being here so he will be counting his lucky stars really."

Link: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/08/08/coleman-wins-fai-award

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else think he's worth a punt as a right sided midfielder?

Terry Henry (his name if he was English not French) was a winger until Wenger tapped into his natural talent of scoring goals, how about Coleman being converted into an out & out winger on the right?

He certainnly looks good at attacking!!!

Hmmm