IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Great post that, thanks Mike.  I was 40 in the March and played my last game at the end of April.  Never had a serious injury and then halfway through the second-half of the last game, I got clean knocked out with a clash of heads.  The other guy ended up in hospital.  I had gone to the match in my car but couldn't drive home as I didn't know where I was and couldn't have found my way home.  Another player drove me home.  I spent a week walking around as if in a dream (they claimed at work that no one noticed!) and it wasn't until the second week that I started to feel somewhat normal.  I should, really, have packed in at early to mid 30's, my knees would be in a lot better shape than they are.  If I had my time over, I suppose I would still play 'till 40. Loved every minute of it.

On 01/08/2018 at 02:05, markjazzbassist said:

I just put the curse on them. Was about to point out that there were only four unbeaten sides in the top four leagues, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Forest Green when they conceded in the 97th minute to lose at Northampton. 1-0 up at half-time as well:rolleyes:. Having said that they only had four wins and eight draws so not exactly promotion form.

On another subject, why are Rugby League teams so much worse at kicking conversions/pens compared to Union players? Is it just because relatively speaking in comparison to Union the kicks are worth less so are practised less or is the ball a different shape? Serious question, I know in the past I've mentioned that I'm not a fan of the thirteen man game but that's beside the point, I'm just curious.

Notwithstanding the fact that Freddie Burns missed a sitter for Bath today so I know it can happen in both codes but it does seem a bit lop sided.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

On another subject, why are Rugby League teams so much worse at kicking conversions/pens compared to Union players? Is it just because relatively speaking in comparison to Union the kicks are worth less so are practised less or is the ball a different shape? Serious question, I know in the past I've mentioned that I'm not a fan of the thirteen man game but that's beside the point, I'm just curious.

Notwithstanding the fact that Freddie Burns missed a sitter for Bath today so I know it can happen in both codes but it does seem a bit lop sided.

One thing I’ve never gotten as well mike - is when they kick for touch in rugby league, they gain about 10 meters normally. Whereas in rugby union they get as much distance down the pitch as they can to attack closer to the other teams try line.

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think it's more the British game than League in general tbh. The Aussie's have got some fantastic kickers. It's something that winds me up, especially at Wigan. Since Pat Richards left, who was a phenomenal goal kicker (and an Aussie), we've sort of just muddled along with conversions.

On 13/10/2018 at 19:17, MikeO said:

I think its a general thing with League. Set piece kicking is crap, scrums are a farce, generally the tackling is worse and even set piece offence is completely unplanned. I love League and watching Wigan with my Dad got me into rugby in general but tactically Union is so superior its unreal. Even when I played both, the difference in training between the two was huge. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Stupid idea which would affect every team so why the headline? It says refs add on 30 seconds for each sub as it stands but they hold the whistle and the injury time board is "a minimum of" so if someone takes two minutes hobbling off then they can just add two minutes instead of thirty seconds, not fucking rocket science.

Capture.JPG

11 minutes ago, johnh said:

Just seen another report claiming that its 'fake news'.😦

The original post was from Piers Morgan so I don't suppose we should be surprised!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11537871/helicopter-crashes-in-the-vicinity-of-leicester-citys-king-power-stadium

Sky sports reporting it. Be surprised if it's a haux. 

Awful to see the wreckage. 

Can't help but think that the people on board were strapped in and potentially conscious when the fireball happened.   

Some vile pricks running a man United fanzine with 60k followers have made awful comments like "haven't the glazers got a helicopter" then released an old article about the Thai owner and some money thing.  Just awful.