Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

At lot of it is due to the time of the year. League Cup is smack bang in the middle of EL and CL group stages. If you get knocked out then there is no reason not to go full throttle for the FA Cup.

I think the FA should seriously consider ditching replays though.

And kick lower league clubs in the bollocks? I'm surprised the FA hasn't done it already for that reason alone. 

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And kick lower league clubs in the bollocks? I'm surprised the FA hasn't done it already for that reason alone. 

They can make it so that the higher league clubs pay the profits to the lower league clubs (or some other financial arrangement). 

When all teams are playing too many games already, it seems a straight forward way of cutting back, especially as 95% of all replays aren't wanted by either side. 

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

They can make it so that the higher league clubs pay the profits to the lower league clubs (or some other financial arrangement). 

When all teams are playing too many games already, it seems a straight forward way of cutting back, especially as 95% of all replays aren't wanted by either side. 

So it's all about money then?

Small team gets a draw at home v a PL side, lose on pens but get financially compensated. Bollocks.

Club, players and fans would far rather get a day out at Goodison, OT, Anfield, Emirates or wherever; it'll be the best day their club will ever have whatever the result. I sat with Woking fans at Goodison many years back and it was an incredible experience (admittedly not a replay as we were drawn at home but the point is the same).

You're suggesting kicking any romance out and replacing it with a cheque; very very sad day when/if that happens.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

At lot of it is due to the time of the year. League Cup is smack bang in the middle of EL and CL group stages. If you get knocked out then there is no reason not to go full throttle for the FA Cup.

I think the FA should seriously consider ditching replays though.

Good points Bailey.  Also it makes me wonder if they could ditch the league cup and just have the 1 cup like most European leagues do (Germany, Spain, Italy).  

I don't get this playing too many games stuff- years ago you had one sub more league games and I remember us and Boro having 4 replays back in the day. Granted the CL and EL are now groups but it's 6 games then the knock outs so altogether it's 15 games if you started in the old European Cup it wasn't far off that antway.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Good points Bailey.  Also it makes me wonder if they could ditch the league cup and just have the 1 cup like most European leagues do (Germany, Spain, Italy).  

I can't see the Football League being fine with getting rid of their own competition.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The idea of boxing is great till you get punched in the head .... only then so you realise what it's all about 

Annoys me all these fellas who think they can just pick it up.  Nonsense.  Requires more than just a good physique and athletic ability. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

The idea of boxing is great till you get punched in the head .... only then so you realise what it's all about 

Annoys me all these fellas who think they can just pick it up.  Nonsense.  Requires more than just a good physique and athletic ability. 

I have a feeling that a lot of people will be lining up to knock his head off.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

So it's all about money then?

Small team gets a draw at home v a PL side, lose on pens but get financially compensated. Bollocks.

Club, players and fans would far rather get a day out at Goodison, OT, Anfield, Emirates or wherever; it'll be the best day their club will ever have whatever the result. I sat with Woking fans at Goodison many years back and it was an incredible experience (admittedly not a replay as we were drawn at home but the point is the same).

You're suggesting kicking any romance out and replacing it with a cheque; very very sad day when/if that happens.

I don't really see the romance of the FA Cup, so maybe that is where I differ. I don't really enjoy watching those type of games. 

How many of those games actually get to a replay though? Maybe one or two a year. Most are similarly tiered sides who probably aren't even that bothered with the competition at that stage. We can count them this season ;)

I do understand your point of view and can see why people would be disappointed but I for one wouldn't be.

On 18/09/2017 at 17:22, markjazzbassist said:

In essence: Potch says Spurs too big a club to worry about domestic Cup competitions.  He says he will make wholesale changes and play youngsters.

And yet he's started Vertonghen, Trippier, Dembélé, Son, Alli, Sissoko and Llorente plus has Alderweireld, Kane, Dier and Eriksen on the bench:huh:.

26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

And yet he's started Vertonghen, Trippier, Dembélé, Son, Alli, Sissoko and Llorente plus has Alderweireld, Kane, Dier and Eriksen on the bench:huh:.

To be fair only Alli, Vertonghen and maybe Dembele are likely starters at the weekend (bench aside) and Son is coming back to fitness and Alli is banned from Europe. Dembele didn't start against us and Trippier looks to have lost his place to Aurier. Llorente won't start any other games unless Kane is injured. 

Most think Spurs have a thin squad but they have more options than many think.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To be fair only Alli, Vertonghen and maybe Dembele are likely starters at the weekend (bench aside) and Son is coming back to fitness and Alli is banned from Europe. Dembele didn't start against us and Trippier looks to have lost his place to Aurier. Llorente won't start any other games unless Kane is injured. 

Most think Spurs have a thin squad but they have more options than many think.

Still, to my mind, a stronger XI/bench than his press conference suggested he'd put out; he implied that he wasn't bothered by it but he plainly is, forgetting any other selection the fact that Kane is on the bench is a clear signal he wants to progress.