IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Just seen photos of Gazza, oh my bloody god. Looks about 80, incredibly sad. Didn't know his health had deterioated this much. Shows what an illness alcoholism is.

Remember watching a piece on Football Focus about him when he was a teenager at Newcastle, interviewer and him went fishing from a little rowing boat; seemed a very modest and grounded young lad. Very sad.

Lib Dems are saying they'll bring back standing in football grounds as part of their 2015 election campaign.

Fucking hell that smacks a bit of desperation to me.

They know they're not getting back in so they can make any promise they want without having to follow through with it. And if, by some miracle, they did get back in they'd just break the promise anyway.

Arseholes.

Glad I haven't seen any "it's gazzas fault" comments.

Alcoholism is an awful disease and for people with untreated mental issues like gazza it was a trap.

A social drug that just seemed to magically ease the problems in his head. Unfortunately it will take him like many millions before him.

This is a serious illness that needs serious addressing. Health care practitioners make the patient feel weak and rely on will power. Complete load of bollocks.

There is a drug out the called baclofen which has been proven to help rewire the part of the brain that creates the craving. The problem is it was invented many years ago to treat muscle spasms and is out of patent, which means trillions of pounds in pharma money would be written off. Therefore the medical world have struggled to get it looked at.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/may/09/alcoholism-health-doctor-addiction-drug

Edited by Hafnia

Its not a disease, its an addiction and a horrible one at that.

Agree with the rest. If anyone is interested, I've found www.drinkaware.co.uk quite a useful site, their drinking tracking tool is very good

Edited by Matt

Its not a disease, its an addiction and a horrible one at that.

Sure I've mentioned it in the past but my grandfather drank himself to death and I had a couple of goes at it myself. Spent a month in a psycho ward in 1989 being detoxed and then most of 1994 in rehab after almost dying from pneumonia in Dec '93. Then went poacher turned gamekeeper and trained as an addiction counsellor; unfortunately never got past the voluntary sector because the government put fuck all money into addiction services. Cutting their own throats because a decent investment would save the NHS shitloads of money clearing up the problems it causes, not to mention the cost of policing the criminality involved. But it would be unpopular with Dail Mail/Express readers so there's no political will.

Seen a fair few friends die from this; it is indeed horrible.

Sure I've mentioned it in the past but my grandfather drank himself to death and I had a couple of goes at it myself. Spent a month in a psycho ward in 1989 being detoxed and then most of 1994 in rehab after almost dying from pneumonia in Dec '93. Then went poacher turned gamekeeper and trained as an addiction counsellor; unfortunately never got past the voluntary sector because the government put fuck all money into addiction services. Cutting their own throats because a decent investment would save the NHS shitloads of money clearing up the problems it causes, not to mention the cost of policing the criminality involved. But it would be unpopular with Dail Mail/Express readers so there's no political will.

Seen a fair few friends die from this; it is indeed horrible.

Society's attitude will continue to contribute to a massive problem as long as it continues to have an irresponsible attitude towards a drug.

Already seen the government running scared over E-cigs. Would not surprise me if a cure for alcoholism was seen as a problem on revenue streams.

Society's attitude will continue to contribute to a massive problem as long as it continues to have an irresponsible attitude towards a drug.

Already seen the government running scared over E-cigs. Would not surprise me if a cure for alcoholism was seen as a problem on revenue streams.

Spot on mate. The drinking culture in the UK vs Europe and the US is bewildering, something I never really saw the scale of until I left.

There is no "cure" for addiction other than friends and family support, on top of your own determination to beat it, and correctly identifying, then treating, the source of the individuals issue. The only way the government might be able to help prevent addiction is to make the substances too expensive but then brings its own set of problems (increase in crime for example).

As for Gazza, I'm mixed on it. He has had support and keeps relapsing so that makes me angry, but then I also know how hard it is to break the vicious circle. I wish him nothing but the best.

As for Gazza, I'm mixed on it. He has had support and keeps relapsing so that makes me angry, but then I also know how hard it is to break the vicious circle. I wish him nothing but the best.

Par for the course Matt. When I was in in '94 we had a group of eight to start with and we were told that statistically only two of us would be sober for two years (being a stubborn bastard I looked round the room and wondered who the other one would be). Most relapse, many multiple times, some drink themselves to death.

I didn't touch a drop for more than fifteen years but then decided I was a very different person in very different circumstances to where I'd been so I thought I'd give "social" drinking a go. AA wisdom says that it's not possible to do that, that the disease is "progressive and terminal" and that if you go back you'll very soon be where you were before and go on to get worse but that's not happened with me. I was literally a "vodka for breakfast" man at the end, couldn't leave the house without topping myself up and carrying more with me (in a Volvic water bottle). Now I have a beer or two most evenings and go to the pub for a couple once a week; although obviously there have been long periods recently when I've not had any at all.

I'm afraid that Gazza, with all the help and chances he's had, looks like following the George Best route sooner rather than later. Great shame.

Par for the course Matt. When I was in in '94 we had a group of eight to start with and we were told that statistically only two of us would be sober for two years (being a stubborn bastard I looked round the room and wondered who the other one would be). Most relapse, many multiple times, some drink themselves to death.

I didn't touch a drop for more than fifteen years but then decided I was a very different person in very different circumstances to where I'd been so I thought I'd give "social" drinking a go. AA wisdom says that it's not possible to do that, that the disease is "progressive and terminal" and that if you go back you'll very soon be where you were before and go on to get worse but that's not happened with me. I was literally a "vodka for breakfast" man at the end, couldn't leave the house without topping myself up and carrying more with me (in a Volvic water bottle). Now I have a beer or two most evenings and go to the pub for a couple once a week; although obviously there have been long periods recently when I've not had any at all.

I'm afraid that Gazza, with all the help and chances he's had, looks like following the George Best route sooner rather than later. Great shame.

Theres that word again, and the big reason I didn't like the idea of rehab. It is not a disease. It can certainly cause them, but in itself its not and by telling people that it is you add impending doom on top of their reasons for drinking.

Its really fucking difficult to stop, just as with any addiction. I'm happy for you that you're able to enjoy a few drinks mate, because the absolute abstinence would drive me even more crazy, and it also goes to show that its something you can overcome and, more importantly, moderate.

Theres that word again, and the big reason I didn't like the idea of rehab. It is not a disease. It can certainly cause them, but in itself its not and by telling people that it is you add impending doom on top of their reasons for drinking.

Its really fucking difficult to stop, just as with any addiction. I'm happy for you that you're able to enjoy a few drinks mate, because the absolute abstinence would drive me even more crazy, and it also goes to show that its something you can overcome and, more importantly, moderate.

Open to question but it's pretty widely accepted in the medical profession that some people are genetically predisposed to alcoholism, so that would tend to support the disease argument.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/aa990517.htm

Open to question but it's pretty widely accepted in the medical profession that some people are genetically predisposed to alcoholism, so that would tend to support the disease argument.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/aa990517.htm

I won't go into it mate, I know its a touchy subject. But I absolutely do not accept that it is a disease.