Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

BBC..

"Amelia Kerr hit a women's ODI record 232 not out and took five wickets for New Zealand against Ireland today.

No women has ever hit a century and taken five wickets in the same ODI before, let alone a double century.

In men's ODIs, the highest score by a player taking five wickets is 119 by West Indies legend Viv Richards."

She's only seventeen. Shows a bit of promise I'd say.

The women’s game is decent quality I’ve found. I can’t stomach women’s football but I’ll happily watch the cricket. 

3 minutes ago, rubecula said:

missed that Mike, what happened?

Missed putt that was going seriously downhill so he ran round and hit it back while it was still moving, got a two stroke penalty but the general opinion is that he should have been disqualified because it was cheating. Had it been a lesser name he'd have been gone.  

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Missed putt that was going seriously downhill so he ran round and hit it back while it was still moving, got a two stroke penalty but the general opinion is that he should have been disqualified because it was cheating. Had it been a lesser name he'd have been gone.  

He is really calm and calculated about it too. He didnt want to have to chip it back into the same area he was just in so tapped it back towards the green like he had just blobbed in the monthly stableford. He even said he had wanted to do it before and finally went and did it. 

He hasnt officially cheated and thats why he only has the two shots but it kind of feels morally wrong. I think it will open a can of worms and other players might follow suit and therefore I expect the rule will change.

i think he has really turned into a guy people root against.  when he first started winning he was "lefty" the guy you rooted for since he was different.  then the gambling thing came up, and then he fell off a cliff playing wise and has never been the same.  these antics today just reinforce how far he has fallen.

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think he has really turned into a guy people root against.  when he first started winning he was "lefty" the guy you rooted for since he was different.  then the gambling thing came up, and then he fell off a cliff playing wise and has never been the same.  these antics today just reinforce how far he has fallen.

He had a few swing issues and didnt win for about 5 years but he won the WGC early this year, playing great. Even in those 'drought' 5 years he went close in a couple of majors (not sure about regular tournaments). He has just got older and like a lot of golfers in the same generation (Els, Singh, Tiger, David Love) they have their physical problems, they arent as consistent as they used to be and they play less tournaments. I think he has just naturally regressed rather than fallen off a cliff.

Just now, Bailey said:

He had a few swing issues and didnt win for about 5 years but he won the WGC early this year, playing great. Even in those 'drought' 5 years he went close in a couple of majors (not sure about regular tournaments). He has just got older and like a lot of golfers in the same generation (Els, Singh, Tiger, David Love) they have their physical problems, they arent as consistent as they used to be and they play less tournaments. I think he has just naturally regressed rather than fallen off a cliff.

he's had the off field gambling issues as well which might have been draining him.  owed 2 million to just one bookie, he's got a serious problem

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/phil-mickelson-paid-vegas-businessman-nearly-2-million-gambling-debt/

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's had the off field gambling issues as well which might have been draining him.  owed 2 million to just one bookie, he's got a serious problem

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/phil-mickelson-paid-vegas-businessman-nearly-2-million-gambling-debt/

He is worth around $375 million so I doubt he would lose too much sleep! Mickleson has always been a big gambler so I suppose you dont know how many more bookies he owed!

Tommy Fleetwood is in with a shout posting 2 over.

Reed keeps battling away and Koepka is still leading by making some great up and downs but he isn'tt fully in control. DJ looks a little rattled though but he has the game to turn it around in an instance.

Its just because there is a larger proportion of men at the high end of elite sport especially in the sports where the big bucks are made, rightly or wrongly. Why would companies pay scientists to research a market that they make a fraction of the profit? Why would sports scientists who want contracts or referrals with elite male sportsteams research iniuries to women? 

For example if you Google netball trainers you will find lots of options. How many of these were tested and developed on men? 

I expect there will soon be a booming market in womens football and similar womens sport. Whoever starts that bandwagon rolling will make lots of money.

Anyone have any thoughts on the female commentator on BBC?  Personally I think she is dreadful. Dreary tone, absolutely no personality.  But it seems she is exempt from criticism cos she is female.  The female panalist is also garbage.... trying way too hard.  She's not alone Phil Neville is woeful too. 

It's not sexism. Hazel Irvine for my money is the best anchor on tv. 

Clare Balding is up there too. 

The commentator your talking avout is very boring but the BBC seem to like their pundits that way! 

Aluko has been mixed. Sometimes I thought she sounds like she has done her homework and then she will say something which completely misses the point. The fact she has done her homework puts her 1 up on most of the men though!

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

same.  my dad is old school 1950's macho man and he hates the women commentators.  i don't care as long as they do a good job.

I must be an aberration then Mark  I am a 1950's lad too.  

Interesting move considering they talent they already have out wide. Sane, Sterling, Silva, Mahrez. 

I suppose he might even consider playing Mahrez in a similar position to De Bruyne although I dont think he would be physical enough.

Well done Francesco (Rose, McElroy, Pepperell also); nice to see the yanks melting away under the pressure for once. Shame Tommy Fleetwood dropped four shots in three holes on the front nine or he'd have been well in it as well. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Wow -- David Silva has always seemed like such a stand-up guy, and I really wish him and his child well. Reading stories like these make me so thankful that my little girl hasn't had to go through that and really feel for the parents that do.

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they can consider me a fan now too, very cool

Very near my brother's house in the UK, whenever he's in the country he goes to watch; his brother-in-law is a season ticket holder.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Ian Wright being a total twat here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177178

Shame because I respect the guy but he's talking nonsense and imagining racism where it doesn't exist. Very unhelpful.

The rifle tattoo uproar might be tinged with a bit of racism, to be fair. Honestly I think we have another thread about a former player of ours criticizing his lifestyle choices that seems to have a bit of it as well.

But I agree that criticism of Sterling’s play doesn’t have anything to do with his race.

3 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

The rifle tattoo uproar might be tinged with a bit of racism, to be fair. Honestly I think we have another thread about a former player of ours criticizing his lifestyle choices that seems to have a bit of it as well.

But I agree that criticism of Sterling’s play doesn’t have anything to do with his race.

Exactly, he’s just not that good. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Stokes not guilty..... fookin joke. 

Whole trial was a joke imo, few blokes have a punch-up outside nightclub; hold the front page! Happens multiple times in every town and city (and sometimes outside the village pub) every weekend across the country. What was exactly the point of this fiasco, all the participants were charged so who exactly was the victim? Nobody; so why the need to lay out shedloads of money for it to go to court? Madness.

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent them on their way.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Whole trial was a joke imo, few blokes have a punch-up outside nightclub; hold the front page! Happens multiple times in every town and city (and sometimes outside the village pub) every weekend across the country. What was exactly the point of this fiasco, all the participants were charged so who exactly was the victim? Nobody; so why the need to lay out shedloads of money for it to go to court? Madness.

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent them on their way.

Definitely agree Mike but the testimony of the bouncers didn’t help they ramped it up looking for their 15 minutes of fame, just hand bags no pun intended being that 2 of them were Gay. 

The money on would be better used in getting kids out of poverty for no fault of their own, makes you sick 🤢 how this country squanders money. 

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent on their way.

To a point I agree but it's more and more commonplace people getting knocked unconscious and cracking their heads on the floor often resulting in death.   

Many people have done less than stokes and found themselves inside. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

What I want to know is why wasn't Hales on trial when the video shows him stomping on someone's head?!

25 minutes ago, hafnia said:

To a point I agree but it's more and more commonplace people getting knocked unconscious and cracking their heads on the floor often resulting in death.   

Many people have done less than stokes and found themselves inside. 

It's part of British culture unfortunately and has been for a long time. I was brought up in Guildford and we used to get the squaddies over from Aldershot on Friday and Saturday night causing chaos (came to Guildford because Aldershot was covered by military police). Guildford, the archetypal middle class commuter belt town literally had no-go areas for locals at the weekend; groups of people + alcohol = violence in the UK sadly. Went to Derby day at Epsom once, violence everywhere, wouldn't go again. I got attacked leaving a cricket match in Chelmsford once (fortunately it was in the days I could defend myself). If every victimless punch up went to court the system would grind to a halt under the weight of it.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

While I’m happy about the news because he’s fucking shit at his job, serious questions need to be asked about the paper round he did when he was a kid - that is a very old 32. 

32???!!!