Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

6 minutes ago, rubecula said:

some f my best mates over the years have been ginger nuts Mike,  no shame in that,  apart from being ginger nuts of course  lol lol

That's it though isn'tt it, nowadays people would be running to the press if called a ginger-nut while for me, that and worse was water off a duck's back.

12 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

So does every superstar in any sport. Lebron? Curry? Bryant? Brady? Bell? Clemens? Ronaldo? Neymar?

Every superstar who is used to winning reacts poorly to losing when officiating calls go against them. It’s not a new phenomenon, and I don’t think anyone faces the critique that Williams consistently faces.

Do I condone her behavior? No, but I don’t think it’s even on the level of a lot of dudes who don’t get shit for being so arrogant. She deserves a certain level of arrogance. She’s dominated a sport like few others have in the history of their respective sports. Even footballers like Pogba and Neymar who are flashes in pan in their sport get away with less criticism than she does.

So the official who made the correct calls is sexist because officials in the past didn't make the right calls?

I'm not buying that.  

54 minutes ago, sibdane said:

So the official who made the correct calls is sexist because officials in the past didn't make the right calls?

I'm not buying that.  

It's an unfortunate situation. I seen all this with Lance Armstrong and to a lesser degree Tiger Woods.   Fans who just can't accept that a person they held in high esteem can be flawed. 

7 minutes ago, hafnia said:

It's an unfortunate situation. I seen all this with Lance Armstrong and to a lesser degree Tiger Woods.   Fans who just can't accept that a person they held in high esteem can be flawed. 

From Zidane (moment of madness) to Hansie Cronje (pre-meditated cheating motivated by money) the history of sport is littered with examples. Meanwhile club golfers call penalties on themselves for grounding their club in a bunker seen by nobody else.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

That's it though isn'ttt it, nowadays people would be running to the press if called a ginger-nut while for me, that and worse was water off a duck's back.

indeed.  I was called a great deal worse when I was a youngster too  by adults as well as kids,  it was not nice  but it was relegated to water off a ducks back.

12 hours ago, sibdane said:

I'm not buying that.  

11 hours ago, hafnia said:

I don’t give a shit about tennis and I don’t hold Serena Williams in high esteem. I do think that standards of behavior are very different for men and women. Take this article, for example (long read, but quite worth it):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/565778/

The subtleties of patriarchy are extremely nuanced and not often perceptible, but they’re very strong. We all have very concrete ideas of what “men” and “women” should behave like, and to deny that we have those inclinations is dishonest. Whether you believe those ideas to be okay or correct is a different question, but to deny that we all have different standards is a little blind.

And yeah. It’s easier to hold people who you don’t respect as much to higher standards than people who you see as equals. See every genocide and every form of slavery to ever exist.

3 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

I don’t give a shit about tennis and I don’t hold Serena Williams in high esteem. I do think that standards of behavior are very different for men and women. Take this article, for example (long read, but quite worth it):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/565778/

The subtleties of patriarchy are extremely nuanced and not often perceptible, but they’re very strong. We all have very concrete ideas of what “men” and “women” should behave like, and to deny that we have those inclinations is dishonest. Whether you believe those ideas to be okay or correct is a different question, but to deny that we all have different standards is a little blind.

And yeah. It’s easier to hold people who you don’t respect as much to higher standards than people who you see as equals. See every genocide and every form of slavery to ever exist.

No one is suggesting that sexism doesn't exist because it absolutely does.

The problem with sexism it that it is over corrected in some areas to the detriment of equality when in other areas of life it is neglected. 

It's like the Rooney Rule.... biggest load of bollocks I've heard. 

Serena Williams has form for doing what she has done.... on this particular day she crossed an umpire who is known to be strict across the board.   She knew she had lost it, she knew she went too far that's why she got all "sporting to her Victor at the end.

I know what I seen and I didn't like it one bit. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

when the world cup qualifying match England needs to win was preceded by a concert and the field is all tore up I think then and only then will they realize what they have done.  in the meantime they will all be taking their envelopes of money and splurging.

Listening to "live" BBC commentary on Bath v Exeter rugby tonight but also watching Twitter feed; bemused by the fact that the Twitter feed is ahead of the live Beeb coverage.

While I was typing that Exeter got another try/con to put themselves well clear (19-39):yay:.

55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Great post that, thanks Mike.  I was 40 in the March and played my last game at the end of April.  Never had a serious injury and then halfway through the second-half of the last game, I got clean knocked out with a clash of heads.  The other guy ended up in hospital.  I had gone to the match in my car but couldn't drive home as I didn't know where I was and couldn't have found my way home.  Another player drove me home.  I spent a week walking around as if in a dream (they claimed at work that no one noticed!) and it wasn't until the second week that I started to feel somewhat normal.  I should, really, have packed in at early to mid 30's, my knees would be in a lot better shape than they are.  If I had my time over, I suppose I would still play 'till 40. Loved every minute of it.

On 01/08/2018 at 02:05, markjazzbassist said:

I just put the curse on them. Was about to point out that there were only four unbeaten sides in the top four leagues, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Forest Green when they conceded in the 97th minute to lose at Northampton. 1-0 up at half-time as well:rolleyes:. Having said that they only had four wins and eight draws so not exactly promotion form.

39 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

25 minutes to go, and Gibraltar are one up, away, against Armenia. This would be a famous victory for them.

Amazing, all over. Armenia have 78% possession and 35 shots and lose:D.

On another subject, why are Rugby League teams so much worse at kicking conversions/pens compared to Union players? Is it just because relatively speaking in comparison to Union the kicks are worth less so are practised less or is the ball a different shape? Serious question, I know in the past I've mentioned that I'm not a fan of the thirteen man game but that's beside the point, I'm just curious.

Notwithstanding the fact that Freddie Burns missed a sitter for Bath today so I know it can happen in both codes but it does seem a bit lop sided.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

On another subject, why are Rugby League teams so much worse at kicking conversions/pens compared to Union players? Is it just because relatively speaking in comparison to Union the kicks are worth less so are practised less or is the ball a different shape? Serious question, I know in the past I've mentioned that I'm not a fan of the thirteen man game but that's beside the point, I'm just curious.

Notwithstanding the fact that Freddie Burns missed a sitter for Bath today so I know it can happen in both codes but it does seem a bit lop sided.

One thing I’ve never gotten as well mike - is when they kick for touch in rugby league, they gain about 10 meters normally. Whereas in rugby union they get as much distance down the pitch as they can to attack closer to the other teams try line.

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think it's more the British game than League in general tbh. The Aussie's have got some fantastic kickers. It's something that winds me up, especially at Wigan. Since Pat Richards left, who was a phenomenal goal kicker (and an Aussie), we've sort of just muddled along with conversions.

On 13/10/2018 at 19:17, MikeO said:

I think its a general thing with League. Set piece kicking is crap, scrums are a farce, generally the tackling is worse and even set piece offence is completely unplanned. I love League and watching Wigan with my Dad got me into rugby in general but tactically Union is so superior its unreal. Even when I played both, the difference in training between the two was huge. 

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

How many of us remember games like this?

That’s both hilarious and horrifying because of the memories it brings back both at the same time 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Stupid idea which would affect every team so why the headline? It says refs add on 30 seconds for each sub as it stands but they hold the whistle and the injury time board is "a minimum of" so if someone takes two minutes hobbling off then they can just add two minutes instead of thirty seconds, not fucking rocket science.

Capture.JPG

11 minutes ago, johnh said:

Just seen another report claiming that its 'fake news'.😦

The original post was from Piers Morgan so I don't suppose we should be surprised!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11537871/helicopter-crashes-in-the-vicinity-of-leicester-citys-king-power-stadium

Sky sports reporting it. Be surprised if it's a haux. 

Awful to see the wreckage. 

Can't help but think that the people on board were strapped in and potentially conscious when the fireball happened.   

Some vile pricks running a man United fanzine with 60k followers have made awful comments like "haven't the glazers got a helicopter" then released an old article about the Thai owner and some money thing.  Just awful. 

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Very moving, we're pissed off about a crap pen decision, bit of perspective.

Often when there’s a tragedy and people come out with statements about the deceased you can’t help but think they’re just saying what they think they should say. But when you watch that, and see many of them in tears, you know that all the things said about him were true and that he was a genuinely good man that was loved by those that got to spend time with him, and will be missed badly. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Often when there’s a tragedy and people come out with statements about the deceased you can’t help but think they’re just saying what they think they should say. But when you watch that, and see many of them in tears, you know that all the things said about him were true and that he was a genuinely good man that was loved by those that got to spend time with him, and will be missed badly. 

Quite right, the "thoughts are with xyz at this difficult time" platitudes are not being rolled out on this occasion.

Sadly just been on Twitter and it appears a BBC journo Dan Roan was recorded making crass insensitive and unfounded comments about the club employee on the flight. Horrible absolutely horrible. 

He will likely lose his job for this as no one in the game will want to know him.  I don't get some people.  

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Sadly just been on Twitter and it appears a BBC journo Dan Roan was recorded making crass insensitive and unfounded comments about the club employee on the flight. Horrible absolutely horrible. 

He will likely lose his job for this as no one in the game will want to know him.  I don't get some people.  

I don’t like people, and things like that are why. 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t like people, and things like that are why. 

Apologised, too late Dan. Never liked the self righteous twat anyway. As a reply has already said he's not sorry for the comments, he's just sorry they got recorded.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

I hope they sack him ASAP. 

What he said may be true, and if he'd have said it in private down the pub in a fortnight or to his wife over dinner then no problem; but to do it overlooking a sea of flowers in a very light hearted way is despicable.