Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Mings who only averaged about 5 games a season for Bournemouth is going to Villa for £20m. £20m for a player that can't even get in the third worse defense in the league.

All the more reason to trust Brands. We’ve gotten Gomes and Digne for double that and maybe £10m or so more. 

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

All the more reason to trust Brands. We’ve gotten Gomes and Digne for double that and maybe £10m or so more. 

I'm hoping he's got something up his sleeve. Bit worried Silva has made a winger his main priority when that's the position we're most stacked in. Much more in need of powerful centre mid, an experienced centre half, plus some competition for Sigurdssen who doesn't suit the role he's been asked to do. 

Brands has done wonders with the players coming in so far but not done so well with the outs, the more difficult part of the job thanks to the stupid signings and high wages offered out by Walsh. Don't see why we've turned down £28m for Lookman and sold Vlasic for half that. 

36 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Bernard, Gomes and Davies can all play 10. Last thing we need is another.

None of them are natural. They'd only ever be cover rather than competition. There's no pressure on Sigurdssen for his place. Plus the style of football Silva is trying to play doesn't suit his strengths. We'd have been better off with Perez who is technically not as gifted as Sigurdssen but reads the play better and makes better runs. 

I make no apology for putting this in the sports thread rather than off topic, just got it from a guy I was in the team with and went to school with, about 1970. My dad's in it as well (appearing on the left after about ten seconds), I'm to the 'keepers right and recognisable in the game by the Alan Ball white boots, I had a bit of a shocker by the look of it😂.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Mike, I'm sure I saw you take a corner and hit the first defender?  Unless you weren't the only one in white boots.

You did indeed. In my defence back then, as I'm sure was the case in your day (worse almost certainly) the balls were heavier, it was a bit of a quagmire of a pitch and we didn't have the luxury of "modern" smaller pitches; so I was 10/11 on an adult size pitch, getting the damn thing into the penalty area was an achievement:lol:.

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What’s with the red shirt shocking behaviour, and is that a rugby ball?

I prefer to remember the shirt as rorange, and the misshapen appearance of the ball is purely down to the power of the shot; it needed time to recoverB).

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I prefer to remember the shirt as rorange, and the misshapen appearance of the ball is purely down to the power of the shot; it needed time to recoverB).

😂

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11740/11765310/huddersfield-could-face-fa-punishment-over-heavily-branded-shirt?fbclid=IwAR07Bh_tFMsRK7_DYuZAxc-qNmvAEImotxnQ0Z6bpN9UBjqFSq8L3B3AerI

Huddersfield could face punishment over the size of the sponsor on their shirt. Doesn't say what the potential punishment will be though. 

Thinking back I remember an umbro kit with loads of umbro badges in the background. Man United's Chavelot sponsor can't be too far breaking the rules, their logo is hideously big. 

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11740/11765310/huddersfield-could-face-fa-punishment-over-heavily-branded-shirt?fbclid=IwAR07Bh_tFMsRK7_DYuZAxc-qNmvAEImotxnQ0Z6bpN9UBjqFSq8L3B3AerI

Huddersfield could face punishment over the size of the sponsor on their shirt. Doesn't say what the potential punishment will be though. 

Thinking back I remember an umbro kit with loads of umbro badges in the background. Man United's Chavelot sponsor can't be too far breaking the rules, their logo is hideously big. 

n

29 minutes ago, Lowensda said:

Best Football related PR stunt in years. Marketing gods at Paddy Power. Huddersfield will never get that amount of press coverage in their lifetime. 

PP only needed to generate enough engagement to last a season, they've single handedly put Huddersfield on the map with a lifetime of PR. 

Also, the end result is incredible. What a gesture (their presence will of course be felt everywhere around the club still) just keeps it clean on the shirts so that football purests are kept happy. 

Not just that, but it means it’s not actively promoting a potentially devastating addiction. I’ve always vehemently detested sponsors of dangerous products (booze, betting, even gaming) so for me it’s a fantastic stance! I hope we follow suit quickly.  

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

So no sponsor at all?! Brilliant!!!!

Paddy Power are still the "shirt sponsor" but have decided not to put their logo on the shirt it seems...no way has it been done for altruistic motives though, it's a calculated move to get themselves into the headlines, and it's worked.

Paddy Power MD, Victor Corcoran, said: “Shirt sponsorship in football has gone too far. We accept that there is a role for sponsors around football, but the shirt should be sacred.

“So today we are calling on other sponsors to join the Save Our Shirt campaign, and give something back to the fans.

“As a sponsor, we know our place, and it’s not on your shirt.”

https://www.sbcnews.co.uk/europe/2019/07/19/paddy-power-launches-save-our-shirt-campaign-alongside-real-huddersfield-kit/

Quite a clever move as most betting companies on the shirts I'd never heard of before. Paddy Power is basically trying to get rid of the platform to protect their market share from new competitors. 

On 19/07/2019 at 07:32, Matt said:

Not just that, but it means it’s not actively promoting a potentially devastating addiction. I’ve always vehemently detested sponsors of dangerous products (booze, betting, even gaming) so for me it’s a fantastic stance! I hope we follow suit quickly.  

The whole kit sponsorship is such an alien concept to we Yanks when we see it the first time. In all of our professional sports, nothing is on the jersey, besides the small logo of the apparel company - it's almost sacred. There would be an angry mob with torches and pitchforks if a team dared to "sully" their jersey/uniform with an ad. The only exception is NASCAR. but that's a different animal completely.

Are there any real restrictions, legally or from the FA, on kit sponsorship? 

European team athletic champs this week-end in Poland and the final event, as always, the mens 4x400 relay. GB & NI managed a paperwork fuck-up which led to the naming our reserve shot-putter on the first leg😂. Sadly we withdrew, it might've been an interesting watch.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11787077/jan-siewert-sacked-by-huddersfield-after-fulham-defeat?fbclid=IwAR3SawKbtYyMNuzjk-X0nhWPXipikbUiKFlBCqWpRk-hVFEjHkpOsq4OdG0

Huddersfield sacked their manager only three games in, although carrying over his prem record Seiward only won one of 19. They should have stuck by Wagner. 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11787077/jan-siewert-sacked-by-huddersfield-after-fulham-defeat?fbclid=IwAR3SawKbtYyMNuzjk-X0nhWPXipikbUiKFlBCqWpRk-hVFEjHkpOsq4OdG0

Huddersfield sacked their manager only three games in, although carrying over his prem record Seiward only won one of 19. They should have stuck by Wagner. 

Didn't Wagner choose to go?

It shows the true character of the clubs when it gets tough. I have a lot of respect for burnley they stuck with dyche when he got them promoted and relegated and promoted again.  It shows they didn’t all of a sudden think they were hot shit.  Huddersfield was a miracle to even be up here with Wagner and they never even bought him players at the premier level, no striker or wingers it was blood and guts.  When he left I knew they were done for.  They’ll be in league two in a couple years time like Sunderland and Portsmouth.