Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

This is just wrong...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/50041037

If you got a 4% increase in performance by doping you'd be banned; these shoes should be binned and the times deleted just like what happened when the sportswear companies came up with radically different swimsuits a few years ago and records were broken by miles all over the place. "Running on trampolines" isn't running.

Mike the only way to avoid cheating is to drug test after every meal for life and to compete stark naked  …  or you could scrap all records and allow them to compete any way they wish  drugs included

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

First four games of the World Series all won by the away team, seems a bit odd or is there little or no home field advantage in baseball?

In most American sports home field advantage isn’t really a thing.  That’s why I fail to grasp why EPL teams can’t win away.  In America it just isn’t much of a factor for some reason.  Maybe because the sports are more individual based?  It has vexed me for a while now.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

In most American sports home field advantage isn’t really a thing.  That’s why I fail to grasp why EPL teams can’t win away.  In America it just isn’t much of a factor for some reason.  Maybe because the sports are more individual based?  It has vexed me for a while now.

Or maybe the away teams don’t have to run the gauntlet of hatred like they do here, fans here create an atmosphere that is fantastic for the home team, and toxic for the away team.

You need to get over here and experience it you won’t regret it. 
I remember going to a play off final with another two families from my close against Leicester one was an ardent Swindon supporter, the other was an American who at the time was over here working for Motorola, his wife and kids were slightly scared by the voracity passion and noise, but he loved it he said he had never experienced anything like it. 

We are very tribal over here maybe that’s the difference. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Or maybe the away teams don’t have to run the gauntlet of hatred like they do here, fans here create an atmosphere that is fantastic for the home team, and toxic for the away team.

You need to get over here and experience it you won’t regret it. 
I remember going to a play off final with another two families from my close against Leicester one was an ardent Swindon supporter, the other was an American who at the time was over here working for Motorola, his wife and kids were slightly scared by the voracity passion and noise, but he loved it he said he had never experienced anything like it. 

We are very tribal over here maybe that’s the difference. 

Yeah the violence against the team coaches and flares and stuff would never fly over here. They pride sports here being a family atmosphere and safe, You’re right that is probably it.   The culture of hooliganism in England is not something we’ve ever had here.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

The culture of hooliganism in England is not something we’ve ever had here.

That's history. Admittedly the odd isolated incident but 99.9% of games it's a non-issue.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

That's history. Admittedly the odd isolated incident but 99.9% of games it's a non-issue.

Except when your fans travel through Europe the fights in France, the town squares littered and trashed.  It might not be brawls but they are not civilized either.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Except when your fans travel through Europe the fights in France, the town squares littered and trashed.  It might not be brawls but they are not civilized either.

To be honest there’s very little fighting in this country and what there is magnified by the press, there’s more let’s call it hostile chanting swearing and jeering, and that is what teams call the home advantage or the twelfth man if you like, because at some grounds it’s definitely unnerving for the players and their supporters. 
European football is a different kettle of fish all together, it takes on a different meaning and minority of supporters from all countries go there to fight.

South American football is the same if not worse, football is used as a medium for life’s social problems by certain individuals, unfortunately that’s the way it is and to stop it is near on impossible when so many countries have fans who subscribe to it. 
Luckily you don’t find that in your country, and when your supporters travel the world supporting their national team they don’t get involved in that side of the game, and will not be attacked by other countries supporters because it is a two way thing, and slightly organised. 
So you can go to football in this country in the knowledge that you will be physically safe, but you may here stuff the you don’t here in everyday life. 

On 27/10/2019 at 12:45, MikeO said:

First four games of the World Series all won by the away team, seems a bit odd or is there little or no home field advantage in baseball?

On 27/10/2019 at 15:39, markjazzbassist said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50231661

"It is the first time in World Series history that the visiting team has won each of the first six games."

"North American sport has never seen a seven game series where the first six were all won by the away team. It defies all explanation and logic."

Looks like away field advantage is a thing this year!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50231661

"It is the first time in World Series history that the visiting team has won each of the first six games."

"North American sport has never seen a seven game series where the first six were all won by the away team. It defies all explanation and logic."

Looks like away field advantage is a thing this year!

that is the championship matches.  let me amend my statement, those matches the home side fans do help.  i'm talking normal league games it doesn't.  when i lived in LA the Kings (hockey) were atrocious at home and prolific Away.  It became such a thing that during the playoffs and then Stanley cup the coach had the team staying in a hotel across the street even when they were home so it seemed like they were away to give them that away boost.  they won the stanley cup, guess what?  they were away.

Piss poor this from Derby. Fair enough sack a player for drink driving but not only because they won't take a lower contract. 

He's a silly cunt for drink driving but he's done nothing worse than the other two, other than he's older. Just an excuse to get rid rather than moral grounds. 

30 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Piss poor this from Derby. Fair enough sack a player for drink driving but not only because they won't take a lower contract. 

He's a silly cunt for drink driving but he's done nothing worse than the other two, other than he's older. Just an excuse to get rid rather than moral grounds. 

Wasn’t Keogh just a passenger anyway?

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Wasn’t Keogh just a passenger anyway?

Just read that he doesn’t even have a driving license anyway.

On him getting sacked... maybe they’re coming down harder on the fact that he’s the club captain. Maybe the whole story hasn’t been reported to the public. Regardless, his Derby career was over, doesn’t make it okay, but with 18 months on his contract and likely 14 months out, plus his age - it’d be highly unlikely that he’d ever play for Derby (or possibly anyone else) again.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Just read that he doesn’t even have a driving license anyway.

On him getting sacked... maybe they’re coming down harder on the fact that he’s the club captain. Maybe the whole story hasn’t been reported to the public. Regardless, his Derby career was over, doesn’t make it okay, but with 18 months on his contract and likely 14 months out, plus his age - it’d be highly unlikely that he’d ever play for Derby (or possibly anyone else) again.

Fair enough if he's injured himself being stupid to get rid not to offer a lower contract and then when he's refused it to sack him on moral grounds is just wrong. 

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

7/7

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/50246029

Incidentally, why do teams constantly change their "starting pitcher"? Stephen Strasburg was the MVP but only started in two games. Is it just to give your best option the chance to rest his arm or does he come into the game later despite not being starter? I don't understand.

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

Fair enough if he's injured himself being stupid to get rid not to offer a lower contract and then when he's refused it to sack him on moral grounds is just wrong. 

Well if it is wrong, he can seek legal advice and will win the appeal. 

You don't know the ins and outs of it, you are just using the little snippets from the headlines and rushing to a Judgment. You might be right but I imagine there are lots of other issues that will have been taken into account as it will cost Derby a lot of money and a lot of negative media attention in order to try and terminate the contract of a footballer unlawfully.

46 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Well if it is wrong, he can seek legal advice and will win the appeal. 

You don't know the ins and outs of it, you are just using the little snippets from the headlines and rushing to a Judgment. You might be right but I imagine there are lots of other issues that will have been taken into account as it will cost Derby a lot of money and a lot of negative media attention in order to try and terminate the contract of a footballer unlawfully.

I'd imagine that's why he's refused the offer. Easy win for age discrimination with the two younger players not being dismissed for the same incident. 

You don't need the ins and outs when they've offered him the choice of a lower contract or go for gross misconduct. To then release a statement claiming the moral high ground is terrible as well. They deserve all the bad publicity. 

If they hadn't offered a contract and got rid of the other two there'd be no issue. But they've picked and chosed and even tried to leverage it. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

7/7

Incidentally, why do teams constantly change their "starting pitcher"? Stephen Strasburg was the MVP but only started in two games. Is it just to give your best option the chance to rest his arm or does he come into the game later despite not being starter? I don't understand.

Bingo. Pitching is very hard on the arm/shoulder. 

30 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Bingo. Pitching is very hard on the arm/shoulder. 

Ta for that, thought it was likely. So if someone starts a game is he then likely to play the whole game or come off after a while?

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Ta for that, thought it was likely. So if someone starts a game is he then likely to play the whole game or come off after a while?

They can play the whole game, but it's not uncommon to see 2-3 pitchers/game. Usually there is a type of pitcher that is called a "closer" and they'll usually play the last 1-3 innings. Usually they are pitchers that can throw extremely fast and they focus on getting the final outs in a game. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

7/7

they pitch on 5 days rest.  they throw 100-120+ pitches which destroys your arm.  but if you are lights out you can single handedly take the other team out of the game, give up 0 runs and your team just needs 1 score to win.  quality starting pitching is always coveted.

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'd imagine that's why he's refused the offer. Easy win for age discrimination with the two younger players not being dismissed for the same incident. 

You don't need the ins and outs when they've offered him the choice of a lower contract or go for gross misconduct. To then release a statement claiming the moral high ground is terrible as well. They deserve all the bad publicity. 

If they hadn't offered a contract and got rid of the other two there'd be no issue. But they've picked and chosed and even tried to leverage it. 

Of course you don't need the details, much easier to make broad assumptions from the headlines. 

18 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Of course you don't need the details, much easier to make broad assumptions from the headlines. 

Not just the headline. So you think it's perfectly fine what Derby have done? 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

Not just the headline. So you think it's perfectly fine what Derby have done? 

I don't know enough about the details to say whether it is fair or not.

I will say though that the club captain and senior player who injured himself through his own stupidity, when I expect he has a clause in his contract regarding such circumstances, is probably quite lucky to have been offered reduced terms. 

I would say they should all be sacked but ultimately from the clubs point of view Keogh has a greater degree of responsibility given his standing at the club. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I don't know enough about the details to say whether it is fair or not.

I will say though that the club captain and senior player who injured himself through his own stupidity, when I expect he has a clause in his contract regarding such circumstances, is probably quite lucky to have been offered reduced terms. 

I would say they should all be sacked but ultimately from the clubs point of view Keogh has a greater degree of responsibility given his standing at the club. 

I'm their statement they said they've sacked him for bringing the club into disrepute. 

A statement from the club read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

The statement says any player (which makes it a joke that the other two never hit sacked) and doesn't mention his captaincy being an influence, also personally I'd find it hard to argue wearing an armband would make you more responsible than the actual driver of the vehicle. 

On 01/11/2019 at 16:08, pete0 said:

I'm their statement they said they've sacked him for bringing the club into disrepute. 

A statement from the club read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

The statement says any player (which makes it a joke that the other two never hit sacked) and doesn't mention his captaincy being an influence, also personally I'd find it hard to argue wearing an armband would make you more responsible than the actual driver of the vehicle. 

Pete, that is a press statement. Are you expecting them to release all of the details to the press?

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

Would Keogh have been sacked if he wasn’t injured? I guess only those involved will ever know but for me that’s the major difference between him and the other two.

Probably not.