IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

http://www.espnfc.us/rangers/story/2230080/rangers-reject-approach-from-phoenix-suns-owner-robert-sarver

Wish Nikica was still here to comment on this. They seem to be run by idiots. In financial crisis, had to get an emergency loan, a guy comes offering free money to own them (owns other sports teams that are very successful) and they say "no, not enough money". Beggars can't be choosers. I hope they miss the cut and stay in the championship, maybe ole Stubbs Hibs will make it up

http://www.espnfc.us/scottish-league-one/story/2233105/robert-sarver-ups-rangers-takeover-bid-to-20-millionoffers-emergency-loan

Going all out for it, paying off their loans and then offering 20m pounds. They say it will still be rejected, I don't understand why since they could go belly up, but I guess they have their pride.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30742947

I think Mr Bruce needs to have a long word with himself.

If anyone has truly looked at this case and looked at it properly then i'm sorry but the lad is guilty according to the letter of the law. He may not be guilty according to his morals but what he did was wrong.

• The girl had never met him, he pestered the porter to give him a room key.
  • His brother and mates were outside trying to film? How did they know what was going to happen???
  • The girl was out of it - the toxicology reports supported that.

Guilty or not, if he has served his sentence, should he not be able to get a job in his profession?

He's on license. If he was a boxer he wouldn't be allowed to fight till he had served 5 years.

Since when should convicted rapists be allowed to have a job of choice? If he was a Doctor or a lawyer would he be able to practice again?

I'll be honest I found the whole Tyson thing distasteful. From a personal perspective I myself still wanted to see him fight - but ultimately he was a convicted rapist. I actually think the circumstances for the Tyson case were more questionable than Ched Evans. Tyson said on the balance of his behaviour towards women over years he deserved to be punished but he says he was wrongly convicted.

If Evans clears his name then fair enough but i'm sorry, he was found guilty and his appeal was kicked out.

Being a professional athlete is a privledge. The NFL have the right approach.

He's on license. If he was a boxer he wouldn't be allowed to fight till he had served 5 years.

Since when should convicted rapists be allowed to have a job of choice? If he was a Doctor or a lawyer would he be able to practice again?

I'll be honest I found the whole Tyson thing distasteful. From a personal perspective I myself still wanted to see him fight - but ultimately he was a convicted rapist. I actually think the circumstances for the Tyson case were more questionable than Ched Evans. Tyson said on the balance of his behaviour towards women over years he deserved to be punished but he says he was wrongly convicted.

If Evans clears his name then fair enough but i'm sorry, he was found guilty and his appeal was kicked out.

Being a professional athlete is a privledge. The NFL have the right approach.

I'm not going to argue right or wrong, I'm trying to take a step back and look at things. If the law has let him out, he should be allowed to work. Any profession is a privilege, its something that one works towards based on ones skillset.

If he was a doctor, should he not be allowed to practice medicine?

If people aren't happy with him, then they need to be unhappy with the way the law works too.

I'm not going to argue right or wrong, I'm trying to take a step back and look at things. If the law has let him out, he should be allowed to work. Any profession is a privilege, its something that one works towards based on ones skillset.

If he was a doctor, should he not be allowed to practice medicine?

If people aren't happy with him, then they need to be unhappy with the way the law works too.

No one is stopping him from earning a living - he can be a taxi driver, labourer, plumber if he wants? Some may choose not to use his services but thats the way it is. The same with football - fans are making their voices heard. Desperate clubs who need goals are prepared to compromise their morals but the fans aren't.

If footballers started to realise that they are in a priveledged position then maybe they wouldn't behave like animals.

"We could have had any girl we wanted in that nightclub.
We were drinking, having fun there. It’s not uncommon we pick up girls.
Footballers are rich, they have got money, that’s what the girls like."
Here's it best summarised by someone who analysed the case (not me):-
"She made no complaint of rape to the police - she could not remember. They were investigating the disappearance of her bag when they found out the full story. Macdonald was cleared because he had a "reasonable assumption" of consent (the girl went willingly with him to the hotel room). Evans was convicted because he had never even met the girl and the jury were of the opinion that she was in no condition to either consent or deny sex with him. Perfectly sound judgement, and the jury, who heard ALL the facts in court found him unanimously guilty."

Edited by Hafnia

Football is his last chance. He's not going to find employment anywhere else. I personally think he should complete his sentence before he's considered though.

That said I doubt anyone will take him on from this country. It's all about PR. If his conviction was before his professional career or completely out of the public eye most lower league clubs would have taken him.

No one is stopping him from earning a living - he can be a taxi driver, labourer, plumber if he wants? Some may choose not to use his services but thats the way it is. The same with football - fans are making their voices heard. Desperate clubs who need goals are prepared to compromise their morals but the fans aren't.

If footballers started to realise that they are in a priveledged position then maybe they wouldn't behave like animals.

"We could have had any girl we wanted in that nightclub.
We were drinking, having fun there. It’s not uncommon we pick up girls.
Footballers are rich, they have got money, that’s what the girls like."
Here's it best summarised by someone who analysed the case (not me):-
"She made no complaint of rape to the police - she could not remember. They were investigating the disappearance of her bag when they found out the full story. Macdonald was cleared because he had a "reasonable assumption" of consent (the girl went willingly with him to the hotel room). Evans was convicted because he had never even met the girl and the jury were of the opinion that she was in no condition to either consent or deny sex with him. Perfectly sound judgement, and the jury, who heard ALL the facts in court found him unanimously guilty."

Seriously? I don't know the case details, I go on the conviction (which he has served), but that explanation makes it sound incredibly harsh. Anyway, I'm not going to argue the case, he was found guilty.

You didn't answer my question about the same situation in a different privileged job.

Also, why are some jobs acceptable for convicted rapists and others not?

Agree that fans voicing their opinions is fine, just as Bruce can voice his opinion too. Not sure where compromising morals comes into it.

I think he should be allowed to play again. He's served his time.

Luke McCormick, who was sentenced to seven years and four months for killing two children through dangerous driving and driving under the influence, was able to resume his playing career once released from prison. So I see no reason for all this over Evans.

Luke McCormick, who was sentenced to seven years and four months for killing two children through dangerous driving and driving under the influence, was able to resume his playing career once released from prison. So I see no reason for all this over Evans.

I totally disagreed with Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick playing again.

Seriously? I don't know the case details, I go on the conviction (which he has served), but that explanation makes it sound incredibly harsh. Anyway, I'm not going to argue the case, he was found guilty.

You didn't answer my question about the same situation in a different privileged job.

Also, why are some jobs acceptable for convicted rapists and others not?

Agree that fans voicing their opinions is fine, just as Bruce can voice his opinion too. Not sure where compromising morals comes into it.

But that is the law Matt. Imagine what would happen if people were free to treat drunken people as they will? I've put a girl in a taxi before now who literally didn't know where she was, a few blokes closed in on her offering her more to drink. She had no recollection the next time I spoke to her. I know her husband.

The other footballer got off because she was apparently willing to go to the hotel with him, Evans never met the girl and spent time hasstling the porter for a key card after receiving a text off his mate saying "i've got a girl" - just wrong whichever way you look at it. The circumstances and non violent aspect is why he only got 5 years.

I don't have a priviledged job but am a professional and I would not be employed in my role having done what Evans done. Evans would have to be self employed from what I understand, not many people take chances on convicted rapists, it doesn't go too well in job interviews and background screening on job offers would flag it up if anyone tried to lie.

My comment was about the football community in general, not you. There wasn't this massive stink kicked up over footballer's who have killed people, they were allowed to resume their footballing career after serving their time, and so should Ched Evans.

But that is the law Matt. Imagine what would happen if people were free to treat drunken people as they will? I've put a girl in a taxi before now who literally didn't know where she was, a few blokes closed in on her offering her more to drink. She had no recollection the next time I spoke to her. I know her husband.

The other footballer got off because she was apparently willing to go to the hotel with him, Evans never met the girl and spent time hasstling the porter for a key card after receiving a text off his mate saying "i've got a girl" - just wrong whichever way you look at it. The circumstances and non violent aspect is why he only got 5 years.

I don't have a priviledged job but am a professional and I would not be employed in my role having done what Evans done. Evans would have to be self employed from what I understand, not many people take chances on convicted rapists, it doesn't go too well in job interviews and background screening on job offers would flag it up if anyone tried to lie.

I know, thats why I said I go with the conviction.

You're dodging the 2 questions I put forward again mate.

1. Would you feel the same way about a doctor being refused work after serving his sentence, for a crime not linked with his profession?

2. Why are some jobs ok for a convicted rapist and others not?

Personally, having a convicted rapist as a taxi driver or plumber makes me more nervous. In a taxi, you're putting him in control of a vehicle and a confined space with exposure to potentially hundreds of drunk people (depending on his area) and as a plumber you're welcoming him into your family home. Personally, I'd rather have him in plain sight on a pitch.

Also, whilst I understand the argument against convicted criminals being employed, surely it goes against equal opportunity employment rules? If he has served his punishment, he should be allowed to work as he sees fit.

I know, thats why I said I go with the conviction.

You're dodging the 2 questions I put forward again mate.

1. Would you feel the same way about a doctor being refused work after serving his sentence, for a crime not linked with his profession?

2. Why are some jobs ok for a convicted rapist and others not?

Personally, having a convicted rapist as a taxi driver or plumber makes me more nervous. In a taxi, you're putting him in control of a vehicle and a confined space with exposure to potentially hundreds of drunk people (depending on his area) and as a plumber you're welcoming him into your family home. Personally, I'd rather have him in plain sight on a pitch.

Also, whilst I understand the argument against convicted criminals being employed, surely it goes against equal opportunity employment rules? If he has served his punishment, he should be allowed to work as he sees fit.

I thought I answered it. To answer it any person in a position of trust or esteem should noty be employed if they are criminals. Which is why I said, they could be a self employed plumber but would you hire them if you knew them???

I'm sorry but he's destroyed his chances of being a sportsman - they have an image "image rights" - would you want a convicted rapist playing for Everton? its his right but ultimately he will find it tough to find an employer.

I thought I answered it. To answer it any person in a position of trust or esteem should noty be employed if they are criminals. Which is why I said, they could be a self employed plumber but would you hire them if you knew them???

I'm sorry but he's destroyed his chances of being a sportsman - they have an image "image rights" - would you want a convicted rapist playing for Everton? its his right but ultimately he will find it tough to find an employer.

Fair enough.

Personally I'd let a doctor work again after a rape conviction, once he had served his time, so I have to be consistent and extend that to anyone. Otherwise the sentence is always "for life".

Was going to make this point myself before I went out; his offence was worse (not making a personal judgement, just basing that on him getting a longer sentence) and he was able to resume his career immediately, while still on license. Just no consistency.

So we shouldn't employ Steven Pienaar then presumably as far as you're concerned; drink driving is a criminal offence. Not to mention Duncan Ferguson.

Was going to make this point myself before I went out; his offence was worse (not making a personal judgement, just basing that on him getting a longer sentence) and he was able to resume his career immediately, while still on license. Just no consistency.

So we shouldn't employ Steven Pienaar then presumably as far as you're concerned; drink driving is a criminal offence. Not to mention Duncan Ferguson.

Clearly there is a need to seperate the elements, not because they played for us. Duncan was found over the limit also. However his imprisonment for a nudge with his head was ridiculous (read up on the fisherman as well).