Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

40 minutes ago, johnh said:

There should be rules that pitches must always be like that.

:D

Going back to my London days a very good friend of mine was one the "pitch invaders" in his parka as a kid but no way to identify him from the vid, he was Hereford born and raised but was a Villa fan in top flight stuff; had many happy pub sessions with him. What a day that must've been! The only match that beats it for me as far as giant killing goes is when Colchester beat Leeds.

59 minutes ago, MikeO said:

:D

Going back to my London days a very good friend of mine was one the "pitch invaders" in his parka as a kid but no way to identify him from the vid, he was Hereford born and raised but was a Villa fan in top flight stuff; had many happy pub sessions with him. What a day that must've been! The only match that beats it for me as far as giant killing goes is when Colchester beat Leeds.

In 1977 I was at Swindon v Everton FA Cup round it ended 2-2 on a pitch that was more like a beach, if you google Swindon v Everton you will see it Kenny Stroud equalised with one of the best goals you will ever see off a beach for a pitch. 

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

In 1977 I was at Swindon v Everton FA Cup round it ended 2-2 on a pitch that was more like a beach, if you google Swindon v Everton you will see it Kenny Stroud equalised with one of the best goals you will ever see off a beach for a pitch. 

In season 1958/59 I played an FA Amateur Cup game against Durham City in Durham.  It had snowed all week and only five games were played in the whole of the country, including ours. Durham put 80 tons of sand on the pitch and it was just like playing on the beach.  We actually had a match report on the radio 'Sports Report'.   We won 2 - 0.  I have a match report from the Observer which described me as a 'young player with a future'.   Should I take them to court?😁

6 minutes ago, johnh said:

I have a match report from the Observer which described me as a 'young player with a future'.   Should I take them to court?😁

Well you're still around John so you can't say they were wrong👍

15 minutes ago, johnh said:

In season 1958/59 I played an FA Amateur Cup game against Durham City in Durham.  It had snowed all week and only five games were played in the whole of the country, including ours. Durham put 80 tons of sand on the pitch and it was just like playing on the beach.  We actually had a match report on the radio 'Sports Report'.   We won 2 - 0.  I have a match report from the Observer which described me as a 'young player with a future'.   Should I take them to court?😁

😂😂😂 could you be more specific in what they felt you had a future in, if it was to live a long life you wouldn’t win😀

1 hour ago, johnh said:

I’d love to see that! Can you scan and upload it?

21 hours ago, Matt said:

Spoke to son in law today, when he sorts out the scan problem he is going to scan the report and send it to me on email.  Is there anyone on here can upload it to this thread if I forward the email to them?

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Spoke to son in law today, when he sorts out the scan problem he is going to scan the report and send it to me on email.  Is there anyone on here can upload it to this thread if I forward the email to them?

I can do that John no problem. I'll send you my email address in a personal message.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Actually excited! I got offered 2 programs from 1985 but told the family to give it to EITC for a possible auction. Wish I’d had seen them though

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Actually excited! I got offered 2 programs from 1985 but told the family to give it to EITC for a possible auction. Wish I’d had seen them though

Matt, I have loads of programs from the 1950's and 1960's, including the first game I played for Yorkshire Amateur in 1957.  (the year I was demobbed from the Army) Away at Goole Town.  I also have six Yorkshire Amateur 'home' programs for the 1957/58 season.  Must have about 20 odd programs for the 1950's/60's, mainly Amateur Cup games against teams from all over the country.  Several London clubs. The biggest difference, distance wise was between Durham City (unfortunately didn't get a program) and Eastbourne United (did get a program).

15 minutes ago, johnh said:

Matt, I have loads of programs from the 1950's and 1960's, including the first game I played for Yorkshire Amateur in 1957.  (the year I was demobbed from the Army) Away at Goole Town.  I also have six Yorkshire Amateur 'home' programs for the 1957/58 season.  Must have about 20 odd programs for the 1950's/60's, mainly Amateur Cup games against teams from all over the country.  Several London clubs. The biggest difference, distance wise was between Durham City (unfortunately didn't get a program) and Eastbourne United (did get a program).

They’ll be worth a few pennies too

56 minutes ago, johnh said:

There just happened to be a Press photographer walking past.  Lucky eh!   (picture in Telegraph)

It's not by a press photographer though John, it's credited to "reuters/Twitter:UtdLedger"" and UtdLedger is just the Twitter name of a United fan who was present and made himself a few quid flogging the image to Reuters.

Minority interest only I'm sure but a Brit (Joe Salisbury) made it into the final of the Oz open tennis overnight. Only mentioning it due to the bizarre nature in which him and his partner got the decisive break in the deciding set;  Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan served it and it went...

15-0

Double fault 15-15

30-15

Double fault 30-30

Double fault 30-40

Ace 40-40

Double fault 40-A

Double fault game over.

Sounds like the sort of game I played as a ten year old:unsure:

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Beat me by a minute, but I suspect you're right that they'll get away with it on appeal.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Beat me by a minute, but I suspect you're right that they'll get away with it on appeal.

And they should as well. There are other clubs who take the piss but UEFA do fuck all, but they’ve wanted to get City for anything they could ever since they came into money and pushed the big boys. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

I must have more redshite friends, they were all over it on Facebook.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And they should as well. There are other clubs who take the piss but UEFA do fuck all, but they’ve wanted to get City for anything they could ever since they came into money and pushed the big boys. 

I agree in part but you have to set the bar somewhere, and now everyone will sit up and listen. 
And besides if we finish 5th we are in the CL so let it stick. 

They have been found guilty of inflating sponsorship deals to beat FFP rules. 
This surely has to be worrying for many clubs including us, we could easily be found guilty of the same thing how Usmanov’s money is coming into the club, to try and balance the books after the disastrous 3 years of spending. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

This surely has to be worrying for many clubs including us, we could easily be found guilty of the same thing how Usmanov’s money is coming into the club, to try and balance the books after the disastrous 3 years of spending. 

From the moment the owner's cousin, or whoever, awarded them a marketing contract of immense proportions, this has looked rather obvious from the outside. Of course, it's dangerous and unfair to assume; however, I'm not at all surprised of this news. Now we need a commission to determine the impact of gambling sponsorships and their influence on VAR decisions.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/08/05/the-season-kicks-just-three-premier-league-clubs-have-no-betting-brand-partnerships

On 15/02/2020 at 14:29, Palfy said:

Of course we will suffer from it, it’s been blatant and it’s scared the crap out of me since the FF deal. 

On 25/01/2020 at 17:08, johnh said:

On 25/01/2020 at 18:53, Matt said:

Capture.JPG

13 hours ago, Matt said:

That’s made my night!

Thanks Matt.  My son-in-law who scanned it for me is also a Matt! Thanks to Mike0 for loading it up too.  Really hope things are improving/going well for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51590396

Wow!

My mum used to have a shoulder that she dislocated many, many times; when we were little it was a hospital job and she was in agony but as it happened more often and got "looser" she just used to pop it back in and carry on as if nothing had happened, she knew the correct technique and did it without thought. But a knee? In a football match? If she was a man she'd have quite a pair!

On 26/02/2020 at 17:29, MikeO said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51590396

Wow!

My mum used to have a shoulder that she dislocated many, many times; when we were little it was a hospital job and she was in agony but as it happened more often and got "looser" she just used to pop it back in and carry on as if nothing had happened, she knew the correct technique and did it without thought. But a knee? In a football match? If she was a man she'd have quite a pair!

Respect!   Tough nuts up there north of the border.  I've still got a dislocated thumb from football.  The trainer couldn't get it back in so I said 'leave it to me', which is why it's still dislocated.😄

I'm so bored I nearly started watching the Rugby League game this afternoon (how come they're still playing btw?) but then I decided I wasn't that bored and went and sat in the garden so watch the grass grow instead.:67:

Bored? Then do what I’m doing. Lie comfortably on a sofa, maybe with a shot of whisky close at hand, and meditate on the following: The Reds were knocked out of the League Cup, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. The league will end with no winner. After all the boasting and gloating, their fans will have to accept the fact that this has been their least successful season in years. I’ve spent hours doing this, and it never ceases to lose its pleasure. :)

26 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Bored? Then do what I’m doing. Lie comfortably on a sofa, maybe with a shot of whisky close at hand, and meditate on the following: The Reds were knocked out of the League Cup, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. The league will end with no winner. After all the boasting and gloating, their fans will have to accept the fact that this has been their least successful season in years. I’ve spent hours doing this, and it never ceases to lose its pleasure. :)

Sounds like a plan.

With not much on yesterday, Maidenhead were prominent in the Sunday Times sports pages today.  Their Rugby XV played a friendly against Clifton from Bristol.  Report on the game from the ST Rugby correspondent Stephen Jones.  Big photo of the action too.   Also, a big report on the game between Maidenhead United v Stockport County in the National League.  15 minutes of fame!

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

I'm so bored I nearly started watching the Rugby League game this afternoon (how come they're still playing btw?) but then I decided I wasn't that bored and went and sat in the garden so watch the grass grow instead.:67:

I was that bored I actually had a conversation with the wife, and found out that she had been made redundant from Woolworths. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I was that bored I actually had a conversation with the wife, and found out that she had been made redundant from Woolworths. 

Shocking that mate, did she get a decent pay-off?

7 minutes ago, johnh said:

With not much on yesterday, Maidenhead were prominent in the Sunday Times sports pages today.  Their Rugby XV played a friendly against Clifton from Bristol.  Report on the game from the ST Rugby correspondent Stephen Jones.  Big photo of the action too.   Also, a big report on the game between Maidenhead United v Stockport County in the National League.  15 minutes of fame!

Wife was brought up in Clifton, most affluent part of Bristol by a stretch; the house they had (which she's shown me) must be worth £2m minimum now.