Matt

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I can imagine they will start well but I'm not sure that squad will cope with the demands of Bielsa and the league over 38 games. 

they have coped with Bielsa and the league over 46 games (championship plays more games) for a few years now, i think they will be fine.  that's not the issue for me.  the issue for me is quality.  bamford is a joke at striker, he misses so many open goals, i've watched a few of their matches and he is awful.  they need to improve the squad.  let's see if the owner will do so with the new cash windfall.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they have coped with Bielsa and the league over 46 games (championship plays more games) for a few years now, i think they will be fine.  that's not the issue for me.  the issue for me is quality.  bamford is a joke at striker, he misses so many open goals, i've watched a few of their matches and he is awful.  they need to improve the squad.  let's see if the owner will do so with the new cash windfall.

There is a huuuge difference in quality between the leagues. 38 games in the PL is much more tiring than 46 in the Championship 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

6 hours ago, Matt said:

There is a huuuge difference in quality between the leagues. 38 games in the PL is much more tiring than 46 in the Championship 

I can only echo what Matt has said. Its also a lot easier to stay sharp when you are top of the league and playing well as opposed to being beaten every weekend and trying to keep that same energy when you are playing every 3 days over the winter. 

Its already been a thing with Bielsa that his teams tire at the end of the season so when you factor in that they won't be able to be at anything but 100% all season it will drain them a lot more. As I have said before, they are a very average team (individually) and they have played well in their odd appearances against PL teams in the cups but week after week at that level is a different story.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Saudis have pulled out of the Newcastle takeover.  nice to see they will be battling relegation again next year.  never liked the toon.

😡
My home toon what have they done wrong, still honest supporters, just a greedy owner. 

On 05/08/2020 at 18:07, markjazzbassist said:

Looks like Ozil was right not to take a wage cut because he wanted to know where that saved money was going.

Now it's clear it was just going into the clubs coffers.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

A load of fucking nonsense.    They have millions behind them.  Got the makings of a top side.   It's ok for United who have owners who bleed the club but cos they sell a few shirts and can go and buy anyone.

Where was FFP when we were getting our best players poached? 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

A load of fucking nonsense.    They have millions behind them.  Got the makings of a top side.   It's ok for United who have owners who bleed the club but cos they sell a few shirts and can go and buy anyone.

Where was FFP when we were getting our best players poached? 

Fifa is corrupt, we were led to believe that the corruption had been kicked out the organisation when the 2 French idiots were exposed, obviously it hasn’t and we will receive the same or harsher treatment if we go on another spending spree this summer. 
As a supporter I would rather have a team where I enjoyed the football and pay the penalties for the overspending, than go through to many more seasons like the last couple, easy to say I know it’s not my money. 
But surely we would have a case to take them to court or some sort of tribunal, if we felt we had been treated differently than the big clubs, after all FFP rules were brought in to try and create an even playing field or so we were led to believe, for me it’s spend and take the establishment on. 

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Fifa is corrupt, we were led to believe that the corruption had been kicked out the organisation when the 2 French idiots were exposed, obviously it hasn’t and we will receive the same or harsher treatment if we go on another spending spree this summer. 
As a supporter I would rather have a team where I enjoyed the football and pay the penalties for the overspending, than go through to many more seasons like the last couple, easy to say I know it’s not my money. 
But surely we would have a case to take them to court or some sort of tribunal, if we felt we had been treated differently than the big clubs, after all FFP rules were brought in to try and create an even playing field or so we were led to believe, for me it’s spend and take the establishment on. 

I agree... let's out the fuckers.  City won their case, let's buy big and kick some arse. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Makes no sense with city getting off.  Goes to show it truly is rigged for the big clubs.

City had a similar ban in the past. Very different circumstances to the recent case.

38 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I agree... let's out the fuckers.  City won their case, let's buy big and kick some arse. 

Not exactly. They got away with it because of UEFA being shite at governing their own rules. Reading between the lines following the explanatory document it suggests that if UEFA hadn't messed up their own case against City then City would have been found guilty of breaking FFP rules and the punishment would have been upheld. 

As the Wolves case shows, its far from the end of FFP. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

City had a similar ban in the past. Very different circumstances to the recent case.

Not exactly. They got away with it because of UEFA being shite at governing their own rules. Reading between the lines following the explanatory document it suggests that if UEFA hadn't messed up their own case against City then City would have been found guilty of breaking FFP rules and the punishment would have been upheld. 

As the Wolves case shows, its far from the end of FFP. 

Bailey stop being so sensible and be an anarchist for once it’s great fun, and it’s the only to get what you want. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

It’s UEFA. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

So Juve sack Sarri (despite winning the league) and then appoint Pirlo.

I think thats a bit of a turn up for the books.

I just saw the news, pirlo was in charge of the u23 for a month!  They are hoping for the Zidane effect I’m guessing.  I love pirlo so I hope he does well but I dunno, seems to be throwing him in at the deep end. Hope he can swim