IGNORED

Kenwright: True Blue Or Epic Swindler?

Romey 1878

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so we end up back in 2004. His 24/7 search has seen absolutely zilch. Owners of integrity are in existence, the unfortunate greed of some does not excuse him the fact that he has failed to find a buyer. 6 years on, the same questions are being asked. Unless any of us are privvy to inside knowledge, how are we to know who has or is interested, and unless we are able to carry out due diligence how would we know the ability to fund the club.

All I know is a net spend of next to nothing in his time has cost us our ability to kick on. Just keep reading the kings dock episode, gross mismanagement on a massive scale, people can talk about the Europe ban as much as they want, for me kings dock is the one big missed opportunity in the history of the club.

I know for a fact that Lerner approached him before buying villa. Whether you think Lerner is good or not he is a credible chairman and has supported villa tremendously. This itself makes me doubt bill and his honesty

im a little drunk and this is the second time ive had to write this (and i know it wont be as good as the first) because of this f... google chrome. angry.gif

maybe this highlighted part was public knowledge, but i didnt know... if it wasnt, sounds like a strange statement to make. Anyway, Im like Mark, I only started paying attention to this backroom stuff recently because I was too young to care or understand it before (and im not 100% sure i get it now. Anyone who says they do, i dont believe you).

anyway, going back to what i spent 20 minutes writing and now have to retype..... Here are some facts. Before BK we were relegation fodder. Season in, season out for quite a while. BK brought in Moyes. Since then, we have qualified for europe 6 out of 8 seasons. Anyone saying "yeah, but we should be improving on that" is ungrateful and quite frankly deluded - its not that easy. Unless we get a billionaire sugardaddy, thats not going to happen and in a few years, unless we are self-sufficient it wont matter anyway. Plus, even then its not guarenteed! Also, if you look at it, is it really going to make a difference? Look at City. 300m on players with a wage bill that could finance small countries since the oil baron took over (3 years) and what have they won? sweet FA. What are they going to do this season? Sweet FA... Liverpool have just managed to escape bankruptcy from Yanks (who owned a big american sports team and thought theyd try their luck in he EPL) and have been saved by... yanks (who own a big american sports team and think they'll try their luck in he EPL rolleyes.gif ) and have again put their hope into someone who doesnt give 2 shiney shits about the club. Yet theyre continually hoping these new owners will plough money into the club, give them a few big name signings (who are signed purely for selling shirts and making the owners, not the club, rich) and buy themselves success... its not going to happen. Once for 1 club every 10-15 years maybe, but not anymore. We have a chairman who loves the club and is trying to do the best by it, that is fact. If it wasnt, we would be the ones 300m in debt scrounging for anyone to come in and temporarily save our asses.

DM and BK have won nothing, that is also a fact. A FA cup final and a semi final is not enough I agree, but it doesnt warrent the football we have played over the years. Another fact. Like it or not, BK has signed the cheques on all our long term commitment contracts (the vast majority of whom are very good players) and has broken the transfer record several times.

So knock him all you like (this is the brief version because its 3am here and im fed up of this arguement) , despite the cockups he is still a good chairman doing his best for the club. Is his best good enough - not quite but Id rather have him than the new Shite owners or Citeh sheikh. We are still a club that other fans envy purely because our chairman cares about us. BK is still the chairman that got us to the point were we can be play good football with good players, still the chairman who got us to the point were we can argue about Champions League / Europe rather than "lets just survive this season".

Honestly. its like people have forgotten the nightmare of the 90s. We had 1 cup, but other than that it was brown trousers time every season (I remember crying at Barry Hornes volley and telling my dad i didnt want to be an Evertonian because even then it scared the crap out of me!). Many people are responsible for the turnaround... Most of them will be here, in some way at least, thanks to Bill Kenwright. No perfect, but better than most.

im a little drunk and this is the second time ive had to write this (and i know it wont be as good as the first) because of this f... google chrome. angry.gif

maybe this highlighted part was public knowledge, but i didnt know... if it wasnt, sounds like a strange statement to make. Anyway, Im like Mark, I only started paying attention to this backroom stuff recently because I was too young to care or understand it before (and im not 100% sure i get it now. Anyone who says they do, i dont believe you).

anyway, going back to what i spent 20 minutes writing and now have to retype..... Here are some facts. Before BK we were relegation fodder. Season in, season out for quite a while. BK brought in Moyes. Since then, we have qualified for europe 6 out of 8 seasons. Anyone saying "yeah, but we should be improving on that" is ungrateful and quite frankly deluded - its not that easy. Unless we get a billionaire sugardaddy, thats not going to happen and in a few years, unless we are self-sufficient it wont matter anyway. Plus, even then its not guarenteed! Also, if you look at it, is it really going to make a difference? Look at City. 300m on players with a wage bill that could finance small countries since the oil baron took over (3 years) and what have they won? sweet FA. What are they going to do this season? Sweet FA... Liverpool have just managed to escape bankruptcy from Yanks (who owned a big american sports team and thought theyd try their luck in he EPL) and have been saved by... yanks (who own a big american sports team and think they'll try their luck in he EPL rolleyes.gif ) and have again put their hope into someone who doesnt give 2 shiney shits about the club. Yet theyre continually hoping these new owners will plough money into the club, give them a few big name signings (who are signed purely for selling shirts and making the owners, not the club, rich) and buy themselves success... its not going to happen. Once for 1 club every 10-15 years maybe, but not anymore. We have a chairman who loves the club and is trying to do the best by it, that is fact. If it wasnt, we would be the ones 300m in debt scrounging for anyone to come in and temporarily save our asses.

DM and BK have won nothing, that is also a fact. A FA cup final and a semi final is not enough I agree, but it doesnt warrent the football we have played over the years. Another fact. Like it or not, BK has signed the cheques on all our long term commitment contracts (the vast majority of whom are very good players) and has broken the transfer record several times.

So knock him all you like (this is the brief version because its 3am here and im fed up of this arguement) , despite the cockups he is still a good chairman doing his best for the club. Is his best good enough - not quite but Id rather have him than the new Shite owners or Citeh sheikh. We are still a club that other fans envy purely because our chairman cares about us. BK is still the chairman that got us to the point were we can be play good football with good players, still the chairman who got us to the point were we can argue about Champions League / Europe rather than "lets just survive this season".

Honestly. its like people have forgotten the nightmare of the 90s. We had 1 cup, but other than that it was brown trousers time every season (I remember crying at Barry Hornes volley and telling my dad i didnt want to be an Evertonian because even then it scared the crap out of me!). Many people are responsible for the turnaround... Most of them will be here, in some way at least, thanks to Bill Kenwright. No perfect, but better than most.

Not bad for a drunk ;) but i couldnt agree more! obviously i cant connect with the last bit (which is personal to Matt) but everythin else is spot on and mirror my views exactly (even the retyping bit lol because i only use my phone and the amount of soddin times ive had to re-do huge paragraphs!!).

Tim Howards (+ players views) on BK

: http://www.dailystar...TO-BUY-EVERTON/

“I don’t see personally any problems financially with this club but I wouldn’t pretend to know the ins and outs.

“But I think Bill Kenwright has done an amazing job. He talks openly himself about these things and potential bidders.

“All over the world, ­Americans and other foreigners are buying clubs.

“For my money, this is the club I would buy. It’s just a bonus to have an owner who is actually a genuine supporter of the club.

“I think it’s a joke that some of these clubs get guys in who pretend to wear the colours and all that. They don’t have a clue. They spend the money and put the scarf on. That’s what they do with it.

“That’s no problem for me – but I just think having a guy who you know cares is just fantastic.

“He’s always there, not just at home games in his own box but away from home. You see him all the time.”

Careful some people might start calling you an apologist!

Personally I would call you greatful and level headed.

BK is by no means perfect, is anybody? We all know he has made mistakes but people who cant see what he has done for the club make my blood boil. Personally I am of the opinion that he has taken the club as far as he can and I am worried that we cant tread water for much longer or we will just slip back to mid table mediocrity. I am worried about what will happen when Piennar walks out, I am worried that we havent got a CF at the club worthy of wearing the shirt yet we cant do anything about it. But for all the neagatives I am happy that we have a very talented young squad, the majority of which are tied down to long term contracts,and a good young manager who despite all his knockers has done a fantastic job and will continue to do so.

When the new rules come into play about clubs living within thier means I would much rather have a football fan like BK in charge than some billionaire foreigner who has no love for the club and who cant spend his money anyway. How long will it be before they get fed up with thier new play things and take their money elsewhere?

Lying in bed last night turning over my views on it (I'd let it go but the obsequious response of the Editor made me angry).

I've said some of this before but this is it really...

Just because it's well written and detailed and backed by "facts" doean't make it the truth. You can find many well written, plausible and "factual" treatise online and elsewhere that "prove" all sorts of bullshit...FBI arranged 9/11, moon landings didn't happen, the earth is flat and the holocaust didn't happen (not putting these up as comparable situations, just making a point), there are many others.

For me it comes down to whether I believe Kenwright is an honourable man doing the best he can or a self serving duplicitous liar out for himself (please note my argument is as balanced and fair as the author's :P ).

For a couple of reasons I think the first one is true.

Firstly because (this I've said before) if he's an "epic swindler" then Davey is either complicit in the con or he's stupid and being taken in along with the rest of us....I don't believe either of those to be the case.

Secondly judging his character based on everything I've seen of BK over the years (including a short period when he was a client of a company I worked for when I dealt with him personally on a few occasions) I like and trust him on an instinctive level.

The one last thing that really pissed me off in the piece, although I'm not sure now whether it was in the original article or a comment, was the derision for those that didn't use the internet and got there information from the Echo and the Mirror and so were ignorant of the "facts."

If I see another post pointing to the fact that kenwright brought in David moyes I will go mental. He was well touted, cheap, and came highly recommended from Walter smith.

If I was to go to asda, buy a load of ingredients and give them Gordon Ramsey - does that mean I can take credit for the food he makes?

Can anyone tell me please, does this man deserve to be in control of everton? He just clearly doesn't! He is emotional and vocal, like many of the 30 odd thousand who will be there today. But that does not make it right. A chairmans ownership, when brought into serious question should be over, simple as that. He has way too many flaws and mistakes.

Some may say I'm a bill hater, I'm not. I don't think he is very good. That is not enough for our club. His tenure has seen missed opportunity galore. We have had a team on the cusp of something special for years. However he has never given us that little extra to to get there. I.e Where's our striker and right winger. Moyes on the balance should have been given more.

As I have said before, I think Bk has done a decent job so far and if he leaves soon he will probably be remembered as the chairman that got us through a tough time in the clubs era and brought in a good manager (regardless of who recommended him as I didnt see him linked with any other jobs) and helped build a quality team. Yes he has fucked up more than a couple of times but I chose to believe he was partly advised wrongly (aka Kirkby).

My fear for him is that if he keeps coming up with this '24/7' crap and 'watch this space' bollocks then he will just be tightening his own noose. We need some form of investment to move us to the next step. Im not talking about some arab billionaire so we can throw money at players with big reputations but just someone who can afford to keep funding updated contracts and provide a suitable kitty for the summer (6-10mil ish) without having to sell.

How about a bit of credit for not sacking him at the end of the 03/04 season? Most boards would have done I think.

Moyes should not be the reason he is at the helm mike. Whether it's his appointment or the fact he was kept on. Kenwright rightfully takes claim for the best manger we've had since Joe royal, even if smith can take some credit. There is more to his role that many chairmen have been fortunate not to face, of which he hasn't excelled at.

Moyes should not be the reason he is at the helm mike. Whether it's his appointment or the fact he was kept on. Kenwright rightfully takes claim for the best manger we've had since Joe royal, even if smith can take some credit. There is more to his role that many chairmen have been fortunate not to face, of which he hasn't excelled at.

Joe Royle may be an Everton legend, but I would say that Moyes is a better manager overall than him. Moyes makes his mistakes tactically, but barring winning the Cup has a better record than Royle. Add to the fact that Royle walked away when he wasn't allowed to buy a couple of players, Moyes has stuck at the job.

So in my opinion Moyes is the best manager since Howard Kendall (version 1) :)

Edited by bluehuddo

If I see another post pointing to the fact that kenwright brought in David moyes I will go mental. He was well touted, cheap, and came highly recommended from Walter smith.

If I was to go to asda, buy a load of ingredients and give them Gordon Ramsey - does that mean I can take credit for the food he makes?

Can anyone tell me please, does this man deserve to be in control of everton? He just clearly doesn't! He is emotional and vocal, like many of the 30 odd thousand who will be there today. But that does not make it right. A chairmans ownership, when brought into serious question should be over, simple as that. He has way too many flaws and mistakes.

Some may say I'm a bill hater, I'm not. I don't think he is very good. That is not enough for our club. His tenure has seen missed opportunity galore. We have had a team on the cusp of something special for years. However he has never given us that little extra to to get there. I.e Where's our striker and right winger. Moyes on the balance should have been given more.

Maybe true but he made it happen and thats the point. Also, being on the cusp of something special largely down to him. The only thing we were on the cusp of before he took control was relegation.

Doesn't tell me anything i didn't already know. Under bill's tenure moyes has become the 4th highest paid manager in the premier league, hardly gonna bite the hand that feeds him now is he? Being the highest paid manager vs turnover plus highest paid not to win anything you are hardly in a position to criticise a chairman for his backing.

I think the article we are referring to carries more weight than moyes defence.

Doesn't tell me anything i didn't already know. Under bill's tenure moyes has become the 4th highest paid manager in the premier league, hardly gonna bite the hand that feeds him now is he? Being the highest paid manager vs turnover plus highest paid not to win anything you are hardly in a position to criticise a chairman for his backing.

I think the article we are referring to carries more weight than moyes defence.

was not aware of this, can you post your source mate? id have thought wenger, fergie, 'arry, grant, houllier, anchelotti, hughes, hodgeson and mancini would have been paid more.

was not aware of this, can you post your source mate? id have thought wenger, fergie, 'arry, grant, houllier, anchelotti, hughes, hodgeson and mancini would have been paid more.

Was 4th, now 5th after arsenes new deal. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/25/2085955/in-pictures-the-ten-highest-paid-football-managers-in

Again looking at the list he is highly paid, stand corrected on highest paid not to win anything, Mancini, then again those clowns at eastlands will pay their kit men a few grand a week.

Edited by Hafnia2

Was 4th, now 5th after arsenes new deal. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/25/2085955/in-pictures-the-ten-highest-paid-football-managers-in

Again looking at the list he is highly paid, stand corrected on highest paid not to win anything, Mancini, then again those clowns at eastlands will pay their kit men a few grand a week.

thanks for clearing that up for me mate

thanks for clearing that up for me mate

No worries. Interestingly was watching Martinez on sky sports earlier. Certainly a manager with a bright future. Should the time come when moyes becomes disgruntled at lack of transfer funds or fancies a change, he would be a suitable candidate.

No worries. Interestingly was watching Martinez on sky sports earlier. Certainly a manager with a bright future. Should the time come when moyes becomes disgruntled at lack of transfer funds or fancies a change, he would be a suitable candidate.

While I respect your opinion, I am not sure I actually agree with it.

I think that is why I like him. Give him a year or two he may have developed that balance. Remember him playing for Chester and he was a quality player who has come from good footballing stock.

Whilst I think moyes has given us so much I can't help but crave a little gung ho mentality. As much as I hate the barcodes I really enjoyed their demolition of Sunderland. Something I haven't seen us do to a team for a while.