Matt

What Grinds Your Gears...

On 14/01/2019 at 21:43, markjazzbassist said:

stuff tastes awful.  beans on toast?  the english breakfast is a joke as well.  yes i'm serious.  i often wonder if the weather prevents english folks from growing vegetables, seems to be a large absence of them in their "cuisine" if you can even call it that.

I'm curious, why do you say that? How often have you eaten in England? There is this stereotype developed by American film, soap operas and comedies is just so far removed from reality it's untrue, just like the bad teeth thing and the pompous accent. Don't get me wrong, they exist but they're the minority, as with any stereotype.

I'm a massive foody, and I love cooking. Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times) and Chinese (very oily, but I love most other Asian cuisine).

The English breakfast can be, and mostly is, a work of culinary art. When I was home over Christmas, I had one every other day because it's such a treat from the local cafés (Hoylake and West Kirby have a few crackers). I don't mean pub food or greasy-spoon shit - they're supposed to be cheap and quick, you get what you pay for. But a true English Breakfast is special. I've even enjoyed the vegetarian ones! My only complaint is that they're often too small :D 

A roast dinner is pretty much only vegetables. Fish, chips and peas, pies are full of veg... British cuisine is fantastic, varied and vastly underrated. I'd happily take you on a food tour if you're ever over this way, we could follow it up with a Swiss food tour afterwards. If you think the British are bad with veggies, wait until you see what's here - cheese, bread, potato, egg, pickled onions, gurkins and wine for the most part - and I love it :lol: 

On 14/01/2019 at 20:33, johnh said:

Particularly if you live in the Alps where you can't get it!😁

only a quid a tin, if you can find them :( 

I agree with Matt about the English Breakfast being a work of culinary art.  Some years ago I used to visit Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire regularly to visit my dear old Dad when he was alive. I used to stay in the White Lion (Hotel/pub).  Their English breakfast was the best I have ever had. When they put the big oval plate in front of you, everything was still sizzling, straight out of the frying pan. Egg, bacon, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms.  Choice of toast, fried bread or hash browns.  Lasted me until tea time (evening meal).  

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

again i'm not bragging, i'm simply saying we are self aware of our shitty food.  meanwhile english are either willfully ignorant or blissfully unaware or their bad cuisine.  its like you guys just realized when i posted that your food may not be that great, which is a little scary having tasted your wares.

Wendy’s is amazing 

expats in the US is not the same as cooks in England any more than an Asian restaurant is the same outside of Asia, Mark. Until you’ve experienced it, don’t knock it ;) 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times)

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

I love the look of it but the smells just trigger memories :( 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have, i spent time in london

That’s the south, doesn’t count 😛 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I had a really excellent meal in the Lark and the Dove in Atlanta.