Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

What Grinds Your Gears...

Recommended Posts

On 02/04/2019 at 21:58, MikeO said:

Knob has pulled out of the deal, and I'm off to Scotland on Friday so no time to get another ad/sale sorted until I get back in three weeks. Pissed off but it's worth more than £7k so might work out for the best in the end, still annoyed by the smug email I got:mad:.

Er, so the £7000 is no longer in my pocket:unsure:

Oh, missed that.  Sorry to hear it.  I can sympathise, had it happen to me once.  Guy phoned me, asked me would I not sell it until he could see it. 'I want it ' he said.  He never turned up., never heard from him again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MikeO said:

On the verge of losing another friend to cancer, admitted to a hospice with the tumour slowly closing off the wind pipe; steroids temporarily putting off the inevitable horrific traumatic end. 

Nobody would put a dog through that agony, they'd be gently put to sleep. I see no argument whatsoever (religious zealotry aside) against euthanasia; why extend someone's life for a few days/weeks so they can suffer for a while and then die in agony? Completely insane.

Sorry to hear that, Mike. 100% with you on euthanasia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeO said:

On the verge of losing another friend to cancer, admitted to a hospice with the tumour slowly closing off the wind pipe; steroids temporarily putting off the inevitable horrific traumatic end. 

Nobody would put a dog through that agony, they'd be gently put to sleep. I see no argument whatsoever (religious zealotry aside) against euthanasia; why extend someone's life for a few days/weeks so they can suffer for a while and then die in agony? Completely insane.

Spot on. The sooner assisted dying is legalised the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeO said:

On the verge of losing another friend to cancer, admitted to a hospice with the tumour slowly closing off the wind pipe; steroids temporarily putting off the inevitable horrific traumatic end. 

Nobody would put a dog through that agony, they'd be gently put to sleep. I see no argument whatsoever (religious zealotry aside) against euthanasia; why extend someone's life for a few days/weeks so they can suffer for a while and then die in agony? Completely insane.

I know how you feel Mike    :cryingsmiley: you take care buddy and try to ensure your friend has a happy ending as best you can-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It is the right word Matt, alternatives were far worse.

 Never a word that springs to mind in these situations. Grateful or relief, but that’s not important now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Died a few hours back, peacefully I'm told so happy for that. 

bless him  I will happily say a prayer for him Mike 

🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my girls 30th yesterday so we went over to her place to take her out for lunch, her other half (smashing lad) had taken the day off work which we weren't expecting and he didn't fancy the Lebanese restaurant we were going to so it was decided wife and daughter would go for the meal while me and him went to a pub. They're trying to save enough money for a holiday with their kids next year so we decided to give her cash for that rather than a prezzie so we gave her £300 which she then gave straight back to us because she said she'd just fritter it away so could we look after it for her, no problem. Gave wife £60 from it to cover their lunch and had a great time in the pub while we waited for them to join us when they'd done, was driving so only had the one pint. Home several hours later I went to get the envelope with £240 in it out of my bag and it wasn't there, searched everywhere, phoned the pub. Gone. Only thing I can think of is it dropped out of my bag (I dropped it to be accurate, it didn't leap out by itself) when I pulled out the car keys for wife while I went to pay, underground car park so dark.

Expensive 'king lunch😠, but nobody to blame but myself; just glad the I took the £60 out for the women so it was "just" £240 rather than the full £300. Someone got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MikeO said:

One of my girls 30th yesterday so we went over to her place to take her out for lunch, her other half (smashing lad) had taken the day off work which we weren't expecting and he didn't fancy the Lebanese restaurant we were going to so it was decided wife and daughter would go for the meal while me and him went to a pub. They're trying to save enough money for a holiday with their kids next year so we decided to give her cash for that rather than a prezzie so we gave her £300 which she then gave straight back to us because she said she'd just fritter it away so could we look after it for her, no problem. Gave wife £60 from it to cover their lunch and had a great time in the pub while we waited for them to join us when they'd done, was driving so only had the one pint. Home several hours later I went to get the envelope with £240 in it out of my bag and it wasn't there, searched everywhere, phoned the pub. Gone. Only thing I can think of is it dropped out of my bag (I dropped it to be accurate, it didn't leap out by itself) when I pulled out the car keys for wife while I went to pay, underground car park so dark.

Expensive 'king lunch😠, but nobody to blame but myself; just glad the I took the £60 out for the women so it was "just" £240 rather than the full £300. Someone got lucky.

You never know mate, someone might’ve handed it in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikeO said:

One of my girls 30th yesterday so we went over to her place to take her out for lunch, her other half (smashing lad) had taken the day off work which we weren't expecting and he didn't fancy the Lebanese restaurant we were going to so it was decided wife and daughter would go for the meal while me and him went to a pub. They're trying to save enough money for a holiday with their kids next year so we decided to give her cash for that rather than a prezzie so we gave her £300 which she then gave straight back to us because she said she'd just fritter it away so could we look after it for her, no problem. Gave wife £60 from it to cover their lunch and had a great time in the pub while we waited for them to join us when they'd done, was driving so only had the one pint. Home several hours later I went to get the envelope with £240 in it out of my bag and it wasn't there, searched everywhere, phoned the pub. Gone. Only thing I can think of is it dropped out of my bag (I dropped it to be accurate, it didn't leap out by itself) when I pulled out the car keys for wife while I went to pay, underground car park so dark.

Expensive 'king lunch😠, but nobody to blame but myself; just glad the I took the £60 out for the women so it was "just" £240 rather than the full £300. Someone got lucky.

Really sorry about that Mike.  As Matt says, outside chance that someone handed it in somewhere.  Check with local police etc.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt said:

You never know mate, someone might’ve handed it in

 

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Really sorry about that Mike.  As Matt says, outside chance that someone handed it in somewhere.  Check with local police etc.,

Yeah I've been trying to get through to parking services at the council but they don't seem to ever pick up the phone; guess police is the last chance, I'll give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Car broke down.  2007 Jeep Liberty, old and well used 160k miles.  Hoping for an easy and cheap fix once I hear back from the shop.  Had to get it towed.  What a bear.

nope engine is locked up.  it's dead.  time to find a new car.  FFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

nope engine is locked up.  it's dead.  time to find a new car.  FFS

That's crap.

Last time that happened to me was a few years back about a week before I was due to drive up to Gatwick for a holiday. In desperation went to my local mechanics and asked it they could find me anything that would get us to the airport and back and that same day they got me a knackered Peugeot 406 with a dodgy new MOT for £400:). Not only did it get us to the airport and back it ran for another year (finding reverse was a complete lottery mind) before a predictable dramatic MOT failure, I stuck it on eBay and was totally honest about what a wreck it was but for some strange reason it bid up to.....exactly £400:lol:.

I hope you have a bigger budget than I had Mark, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's crap.

Last time that happened to me was a few years back about a week before I was due to drive up to Gatwick for a holiday. In desperation went to my local mechanics and asked it they could find me anything that would get us to the airport and back and that same day they got me a knackered Peugeot 406 with a dodgy new MOT for £400:). Not only did it get us to the airport and back it ran for another year (finding reverse was a complete lottery mind) before a predictable dramatic MOT failure, I stuck it on eBay and was totally honest about what a wreck it was but for some strange reason it bid up to.....exactly £400:lol:.

I hope you have a bigger budget than I had Mark, good luck.

not much, maybe after a month of taking the train (1.5 hour ride to work) i could save 3k, or i could just get a newer vehicle now on a car payment, but i don't want the payment or the debt.  argh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not much, maybe after a month of taking the train (1.5 hour ride to work) i could save 3k, or i could just get a newer vehicle now on a car payment, but i don't want the payment or the debt.  argh.

Don't know about over there, but here, as long as you've got a decent credit history, getting a bank loan is normally a much lower interest rate than taking a dealer's finance plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Don't know about over there, but here, as long as you've got a decent credit history, getting a bank loan is normally a much lower interest rate than taking a dealer's finance plan.

good point, something worth looking into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate being shafted by the law,  I have been totally honest with the DVLA  and now I have had my driving licence withdrawn until I can arrange a 'kin' medical with my doctor  so I have a new car  I can not drive and a doctor who is about ten miles away with no way of getting there  even if I make an appointment ….  ARRGH!:crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I hate being shafted by the law,  I have been totally honest with the DVLA  and now I have had my driving licence withdrawn until I can arrange a 'kin' medical with my doctor  so I have a new car  I can not drive and a doctor who is about ten miles away with no way of getting there  even if I make an appointment ….  ARRGH!:crying:

I thought you could barely see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought you could barely see?

:lol:  true  but with my specs on I can see things a lot better Romey ,,

but yes my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  however this goes back a couple of years,  and I have always been totally honest with them  it makes a mockery of being honest imo.  if I was a crook or criminal of some kind I would not say anything and I could still drive many cars as well as my own and I could drive to the doctors at any time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rubecula said:

:lol:  true  but with my specs on I can see things a lot better Romey ,,

but yes my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  however this goes back a couple of years,  and I have always been totally honest with them  it makes a mockery of being honest imo.  if I was a crook or criminal of some kind I would not say anything and I could still drive many cars as well as my own and I could drive to the doctors at any time.

 

Then you haven't been shafted at all. You should need a medical so they know you're safe to be behind the wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Then you haven't been shafted at all. You should need a medical so they know you're safe to be behind the wheel.

how many shuld I have to keep my licence?  this is not the first time and every time I am told they just want to let me keep the licence  … yet every time I get a positive result they send me for another  this time they took the licence away first !  All I want is to have a licence to get me to the medical again  surely that is not too much to ask ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rubecula said:

how many shuld I have to keep my licence?  this is not the first time and every time I am told they just want to let me keep the licence  … yet every time I get a positive result they send me for another  this time they took the licence away first !  All I want is to have a licence to get me to the medical again  surely that is not too much to ask ?

You should have to have them regularly because I imagine it's something that will continue to get worse as time passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You should have to have them regularly because I imagine it's something that will continue to get worse as time passes.

Sounds to me like he is, so he’s being responsible, but this time he can’t because they’ve taken his ability to get there away. Seems very counter intuitive in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You should have to have them regularly because I imagine it's something that will continue to get worse as time passes.

I  do mate  I really do.  it is damned frustrating though to not be believed when the fact is clear.  (and I need the car)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...