IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

by being a winger and being asked to take people on at any givenopportunity so I try not to get on the lads case when he is dispossessed.

What I do find hard to take is his sheer lack of hunger to get back when he does lose the ball and his badly mis placed passes.

I have really stuck up for this lad when everyone was giving him shit but the more I see him the more I regret my initial thoughts.

he cost us what 2m? we've spent more on FAR FAR worse players. for a 2m player he's fine. he's squad filler. when our first team is back (pienaar, mirallas) he won't get a sniff. in fact, once oviedo is healthy i think he will get more chances than aiden. heck i wouldn't be surprised if Kone played on the wing over him. so in that case, i think he's fine. i don't have high standards for a 2m player, Anichebe was 6m and mcgeady is definitely 1/3 the player he was, so i'm fine.

Hoo'a 'dey?

he cost us what 2m? we've spent more on FAR FAR worse players. for a 2m player he's fine. he's squad filler. when our first team is back (pienaar, mirallas) he won't get a sniff. in fact, once oviedo is healthy i think he will get more chances than aiden. heck i wouldn't be surprised if Kone played on the wing over him. so in that case, i think he's fine. i don't have high standards for a 2m player, Anichebe was 6m and mcgeady is definitely 1/3 the player he was, so i'm fine.

exactly :)

I see him put himself into good positions without the ball and create space between himself and defenders with the ball, but what I never see him do is take the immediate option. He tends to hold onto the ball so long that he runs out of the space he's done so well to create for himself. Then 9.9 times out of 10 he telegraphs his pass and we lose possession.

exactly :)

If Lukaku's high price tag can't be used a stick to beat him with then I fail to see how you can use McGeady's low fee as a means to defend his performances?

Fee is irrelevant to any argument here.

I still hope he'll come good like I've thought he would, but he's seriously testing my patience. Like I've said before; I can take it when he loses possession if he's trying to beat his man, you expect that from a winger, but at the moment he's losing the ball through sheer shitness.

I see him put himself into good positions without the ball and create space between himself and defenders with the ball, but what I never see him do is take the immediate option. He tends to hold onto the ball so long that he runs out of the space he's done so well to create for himself. Then 9.9 times out of 10 he telegraphs his pass and we lose possession.

Completely agree. The number of times he holds onto the ball when he should be playing someone in is infuriating. He should have put Rom through against Lille with an early slightly lofted through ball but instead he held onto it too long and then tried playing a flat ball to two players at the back post when a Lille defender (Kjaer who was excellent) could easily intercept.

He also should have done more in the first half. One example we had worked a lot of space on the edge of the area and I think it fell to him on the corner of the 18 yard box and instead of squaring it to Pienaar to have an unpressurised shot on goal he hit a weak volley/shot from a bad angle that was more akin to a back pass. Pienaar would have probably cocked it up anyway given how he was playing but he should have had the opportunity to do so!

Add that to another opportunity where he had the ball in a decent position probably 6 yards wide but 10-12 yards from the byline and instead of firing a shot in or attempting to square the ball, he ran closer to the byline and lost possession (cant remember if it was because he was tackled or because the space had been closed down).

He is just so bloody frustrating and we desperately need another consistent wide player in the squad, especially when the likes of Mirallas and Barkley are out.

If Lukaku's high price tag can't be used a stick to beat him with then I fail to see how you can use McGeady's low fee as a means to defend his performances?

Fee is irrelevant to any argument here.

I still hope he'll come good like I've thought he would, but he's seriously testing my patience. Like I've said before; I can take it when he loses possession if he's trying to beat his man, you expect that from a winger, but at the moment he's losing the ball through sheer shitness.

were did I use his fee to defend him?I wasn't saying exactly to the price tag, just that he's a decent player but nothing special, squad filler etc...

Been disappointed with him if I'm honest. Just seems to give the ball away every bloody time. If he was losing it trying to take his man on and being direct then I would sort of accept it but he ain't. It's always sloppy passes in decent positions and the amount of times he puts us in trouble by gifting possession is ridicilous. We were in a really good position against Lille in the 2nd half. 3 vs 2 situation, only had to find Lukaku or Eto'o in the box and his pass was just terrible. Like he didn't even know where to aim. I found myself shouting at him a lot of times on Thursday and it was mainly because he gave the ball away.

Edited by Geth

I backed him.... He's making my player judgement look a tad shite. It's not down to ability, more application and confidence.

I do think he is the type of player to hit form and make people sit up and take notice. Like Rom, his good performances and bad performances are either 9/10 or 5/10. No real 7/10 "Naismith" consistency.

I backed him.... He's making my player judgement look a tad shite. It's not down to ability, more application and confidence.

I do think he is the type of player to hit form and make people sit up and take notice. Like Rom, his good performances and bad performances are either 9/10 or 5/10. No real 7/10 "Naismith" consistency.

Couldn't resist the dig at Rom there hey Haf :P

Couldn't resist the dig at Rom there hey Haf :P

Rom is my project! He can become an extremely good centre forward and a constant 8/10 player. It's not going to happen if we just accept what he is now. Plenty of hard work and maybe he will become a top notch striker.

Regarding McGeady he is a low risk signing but yes, he needs to pull his finger out. He's not doing it.

Rom is my project! He can become an extremely good centre forward and a constant 8/10 player. It's not going to happen if we just accept what he is now. Plenty of hard work and maybe he will become a top notch striker.

Regarding McGeady he is a low risk signing but yes, he needs to pull his finger out. He's not doing it.

How is he going to do that?

I'm sure Roms absolutely pissing himself with excitement now he knows you've taken him under your wing and are going to single handedly turn him into a consistent 8/10 on an internet forum he doesn't read.

Honest Haf, for an intelligent guy and a good poster you're really letting this Lukaku thing you have make you look stupid.

I'm sure Roms absolutely pissing himself with excitement now he knows you've taken him under your wing and are going to single handedly turn him into a consistent 8/10 on an internet forum he doesn't read.

Honest Haf, for an intelligent guy and a good poster you're really letting this Lukaku thing you have make you look stupid.

spot on. thank you. he's banging em in, let's see where it takes us :)

Nope not at first but regardless the insessant Lukaku bashing is becoming ridiculous and it's creeping into every thread on the board.

Ai. I get that.

It's just that I heard MikeO, Romey and Matt talking while I was in the tuck shop and they were saying that they are going to give us Gold Stars because we've been quite good this past week.

I just want my Gold Star so if we can just keep the peace a little longer....

Ai. I get that.

It's just that I heard MikeO, Romey and Matt talking while I was in the tuck shop and they were saying that they are going to give us Gold Stars because we've been quite good this past week.

I just want my Gold Star so if we can just keep the peace a little longer....

Teachers pet.

Guest blueboy122

He's infuriating is McGeady. I think he could be a top player but he is just lacking in confidence.

He came on last year for us and he looked brilliant a real winger! The thing is it doesn't take much for Everton fans to get on his back and I think he is a little sensitive to it.

Guest blueboy122

Leave it out.....All good natured.

• 2 months later...

I think he is going to be the player that Van Der Meyde should have been. He has that arrogance on the ball where he knows that if he knocks it past his man then he has got him beat. Proper old fashoined winger.

Mcgeady is going to be class... I've decided.

He's gonna be that significant player that we look at when playing the likes of the red shite who we just want on the ball attacking their full backs.

As I say, a full pre season and we will see the best of him.

Mirallas for me "should" be the most dangerous player in the team, the problem is that he isn't - far too greedy. He gets himself in brilliant positions to pass the ball and give an assist, always looks to go for glory and that is great when the conversion rates are higher than what his are.

In fact we have a few who are like that, Barkley and Gerry are just as bad. Mirallas should be old enough to know the right choice.

Often the best assist is to the person who has the simple task of making the easy pass to the goal scorer.... Thats what he can do more of. Too greedy - does great work from half way to penalty area lots of times, but sees it as his right to "have a go at the perfect goal".

Some Corkers here Haf! Mirallas digs too!