IGNORED

Aiden McGeady

The last time we played with 2 quality out and out wingers was Limpar/Kanchelskis - my favourite Everton team to watch 95/96 season!

Imagine...

...............Howard...............

Coleman.....Jags...Distin.....Baines

...............Neville..............

N'Zogbia...Felli.....Cahill...McGeady

.................Saha................

Imagine Saha, Cahill and Fellaini packing the box with wingers who are likely to get the ball into the danger areas!!!

This is going to hurt when N'Zogbia signs for Villa and McGeady says he's settled in Russian!!! :crying smiley:

95 was the last time we won anything - coincidence? Me thinks not...

95 was the last time we won anything - coincidence? Me thinks not...

But our league form was generally shite all through the nineties.

So a question, what would you prefer?

Decade like the nineties where week in week out we're pretty dismal but we win something.

Decade like the last one where we're competing (mostly) at the right end of the table but win nothing.

(Anyone over the age of thirty-five/forty can at this stage look smug and talk eighties B) )

But our league form was generally shite all through the nineties.

So a question, what would you prefer?

Decade like the nineties where week in week out we're pretty dismal but we win something.

Decade like the last one where we're competing (mostly) at the right end of the table but win nothing.

(Anyone over the age of thirty-five/forty can at this stage look smug and talk eighties B) )

Would prefer not to compromise, is that an option? :P

According to Russian and Belgian media Spartak Moscow have a deal with Standard Liège about Mehdi Carcela. But Carcela is still in doubt about his future: despite a €150.000 a month offer, he isn't sure whether he wants to go to Russia. Carcela happens to be a right winger, so I hope that means they'll be willing to part with McGeady.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, cause Scottish defenders are just such little pussys right?

I don't think Scottish have ever had the reputation of being pussies lol, but the overall standard isn't as tough going as the Prem.

There is a big decline at the moment of Scottish players in the best English teams too. When you look back, and think of some of the incredible talent that was around from Scottish players, it's taken a big nose dive where the top English clubs are concerned.

There are very few Scottish players, or even Russians getting game time in the top English clubs.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but in the entire squads of the 4 best teams in the Premiership last season, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City, only one solitary Scottish player exists in Darren Fletcher (Utd).

If you look further, and extend it to the top 8 teams last season, only 2 Scottish players were present, in Hutton (Spurs) and Wilson (Lfc) with Everton and Fulham each with no Scottish players in their squad.

Hutton was sent out on loan to Sunderland, and Wilson had 2 appearences.

In summary, the top 8 teams in the league aren't huge on Scottish players at the moment, even if Adam has since moved to Liverpool.

There have been lots of famous Scottish players over the years in many of the teams, but for some reason Scottish lads aren't getting much of a look in with the better teams in the Prem.

Why is this? (Genuine question)

Again, it's not critisising Scottish players, but simply highlighting the current state of the Prem.

The Russians fair a little better in the top teams (only by 1 player), but only Yuri Zirkov, Bilyaletdinov, Pavlyuchenko, and Arshavin exist in the whole of the English Premiership.

Of course, this proves nothing, as you can still be a great player outside of the top 8 teams in the Premiership, but you have to ask why the top teams aren't taking advantage of the Russian or Scottish markets more often.

Are they too expensive? Are they overlooked because they don't get the same publicity?

There are some famous Scottish faces managing Prem clubs though:

Ferguson

Moyes

Coyle

Lambert

Mcleish

Dalglish

Kean

Will we soon see an influx of Scottish players then?

If you take a look at the other 12 teams, the number of Scottish players increases significantly: (or does it?)

The number of Russians however is zero.

Aston Villa: Bannan (No Russians)

Sunderland: Bardsley, Gordon (No Russians)

West Brom: Dorrans, Morrisson (No Russians)

Newcastle: (No Scottish & No Russians)

Stoke: (No Scottish & No Russians)

Bolton: OHalloran (No Russians)

Blackburn: Hanley (No Russians)

Wigan: Caldwell (now at Brum), McArthur (No Russians)

Wolves: Berra, Fletcher, Griffiths (No Russians)

Birmingham: Burke (No Russians)

Blackpool: Adam (now at Lfc) Gilks, Craney, Ferguson, Husband, Sutherland, Harris, Kettings (No Russians)

West Ham: (No Scottisn & No Russians)

And the 3 newbies this year?

Norwich: Martin, Lappin, Hughes, Smith (No Russians)

QPR: Mackie (No Russians)

Swansea: Beattie, Dobbie (No Russians)

What does all this mean? I don't have a fricking clue, but I know I just wasted an hour of my life thinking about it. doh.giflaugh.png

• 1 year later...

I really like McGeady, with me having a soft spot for Celtic I'd rather he go there should we miss out on him than the likes of Sunderland. I'd love to have him here but I'm unsure how he'd fit in to our set-up now, we have Naismith and Pienaar on the wings so I'd only ever see him as cover (which is a great shame).

I never really got the fuss about McGeady... I dont watch much Scottish footy but I have seen him a few times for ROI and while he is a decent player, he seems like your general winger that can beat a man but fuck up the final ball 9 times out of 10 without really contributing anything else to the team. £1-2mil maybe but that much for a player of his ability (or lack of it) is crazy talk.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...