IGNORED

Jonny Evans

Let's apply a bit of sense here... Won 3 title winners medals. Still 27. Yes at that crazy inflated price range of £5-8m that we Evertonians go into meltdown about thinking that you can still buy kanchelskis for.

He's ridiculously experienced, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's agood ball playing centre half.

Unless people can identify a better buy at less cost then I'm not sure why all the negative drama.

See other thread re:- shitty finances and why we have to buy at this level.

Edited by Hafnia

I don't rate him tbh. He seems ok but I've seen him ripped a new one on many occasions at Goodison. Put int a different perspective he'd be willing to sit on the bench and if Ferguson trusted him that much to give him over 150 app's that's good enough for me. You'd want him for nearer £5m though.

In the current market £7m is not a lot of money. Ok I get he only has a year left on his contract, but remember we paid £5m for Distin who was older, and player prices have gone up since then. He's a good pro, doesn't rock the boat and comes with a good attitude and mentality.

I can't see him getting ahead is Stones or Jags, but if he does I can only hope it's due to form.

There might be nothing in this though, just a newspaper rumour (hope so). I just think that there is definitely better out there (potential wise) especially for that price. I've never really rated him and he was definitely not the one I had in mind that would eventually partner Stones. Unless we win a trophy or sign exciting young players this summer then we are going to lose the likes of Stones next summer - no doubt about it. This signing would show a big lack of ambition in my eyes. Not saying he's crap but I don't necessarily see him strengthening us and pushing us to that next step either. He'd be a meh kind of player.

Let's apply a bit of sense here... Won 3 title winners medals. Still 27. Yes at that crazy inflated price range of £5-8m that we Evertonians go into meltdown about thinking that you can still buy kanchelskis for.

He's ridiculously experienced, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's agood ball playing centre half.

Unless people can identify a better buy at less cost then I'm not sure why all the negative drama.

See other thread re:- shitty finances and why we have to buy at this level.

No one is expecting a player of that ability for that kind of money you could apply that logic to any transfer and I agree in todays market it's not a huge amount but for a player like him at 27 with a year left on his contract I'd rather pass and I would deem it a fairly high fee

He's won medals within a top team it's hardly testament to his ability you could reel off a fair few that fall into that category it means very little when they've never really been an integral part in their success

I agree with Steve his attitude and professionalism etc is good but I'm sure there has to be better options out there

If he comes fee aside I'll back him but he's not a player I'd personally want here

One way or another chaps we are gonna need a centre half, knowing our finances it's not gonna be enough to buy the quality you want. So answerson a post card.

I'm not being critical. I think we could do a lot worse than Evans. Experienced player with a lot of years left in him. The price is a bit steep. But, all prices in England seem a bit steep right now.

I also think Vidic would be an excellent signing. Wages could be an issue though, as I said in that thread.

We need to bring in one experienced CB. We can have one of the two kids as our 4th choice. Not two. I don't want to watch our matches through my fingers.

More I think about it, the more I like it.

He's homegrown. He has plenty of league and European experience. He's the best CB United currently have. He's actually a very good (long) passer of the ball. As StevO pointed out, he would cost the same (£3m will be bonus related) as Distin, but younger. He won't disrupt the changing room. He would help players like Tom, settle quicker.

Its not as bad as people think and if it were a choice between Vidic or Jonny....I'd take Jonny. He has MUCH more going for him right now.

I also believe that Martinez is bluffing.

More I think about it, the more I like it.

He's homegrown. He has plenty of league and European experience. He's the best CB United currently have. He's actually a very good (long) passer of the ball. As StevO pointed out, he would cost the same (£3m will be bonus related) as Distin, but younger. He won't disrupt the changing room. He would help players like Tom, settle quicker.

Its not as bad as people think and if it were a choice between Vidic or Jonny....I'd take Jonny. He has MUCH more going for him right now.

I also believe that Martinez is bluffing.

I agree with this - he was the best thing since sliced bread a year or so ago. Just like Ashley Young was the worst a year or so ago.

He would flourish at a club where the fans don't expect every player to be the next Rio, Scholes, Beckham, Ronaldo or RVN.

We need a Centre Back, Roberto obviously doesnt feel Browning and Galloway aren't ready to through in just yet, especially both of them as Jags and stones could easilly be out through suspension or injury at the same time. I think at least one of those will go out on loan with a few to playing more the following season.

I agree Evans won't be happy to stay on the bench anjd we have a settled CD pair so unless Roberto is planning 3 at the back it doesnt make sense to me.

I would take Vlaar on a free wages may be more but he's 7M cheaper to balance that out.

There definitley seems to be an extra 50% on the fee of UK born players in the league.

He's no better than Kaboul, and he's just gone for £3m.

A premium is added just because of where he's come from. Not good enough and certainly not worth that sort of money.

If he comes I'll just have to make the most of the one season he'll spend on the bench.

Surprised anyone has touched Kaboul - dressing room trouble causer and spurs couldn't wait to get rid.

Was a good player before a big injury a year or so ago, but the rumours are he's pretty much finished and is patched up.

Typical Sunderland signing this one.

I'm telling you right now if we sign him he's Stones' replacement. Today's developments make me more convinced of this.

I'll be furious - sell a 20 year old future great for a 27 year old never been anything decent. Suppose that's the position we're in these days though.

didn't realize he was so 2 footed.

I'd like to see the 5 minute gaff reel too, it's his mistakes that are the concern.

You don't play in centre half for SAF for so many games without being decent - its just that you need to be Franze Beckenbauer to be good enough for their fans.

I'm telling you right now if we sign him he's Stones' replacement. Today's developments make me more convinced of this.

I'll be furious - sell a 20 year old future great for a 27 year old never been anything decent. Suppose that's the position we're in these days though.

Its the position that we will continue to be in whilst we have the current board and infrastructure of comercial incompetence - but hey! We are supposedly run in a prudent manner.

You don't play in centre half for SAF for so many games without being decent - its just that you need to be Franze Beckenbauer to be good enough for their fans.

I've never said he wasn't decent, but I was pleasantly surprised with his distribution with both feet. Rare in the game now.

I've been quite consistent here; I'd rather the 2 young CBs got more game time, but having someone like Evans makes sense too. I'm just concerned by the fee.

Wish United would sell him for a minimal fee or was already free! Maybe we could nab him for 2m in January. Definitely think he's decent cover and would push Jags and Stones and fill in well when injured. Not the next big thing but he'd definitely be good by third-choice centerback standards. Wouldn't pay 8m for him with only a year left on his contract though.

I've no clue whether we'll sign Evans, nor at what fee. But actually neither did I have any clue yesterday, as the articles started appearing, filled as they were with suspicious near-fact and fact-like phrases such as "close to sealing," "on the verge of," "it is understood that," "expected to be completed," and "coming days."

Some rumoured deals do of course become completed deals. Some are so silly as to be scotched immediately. Yet others, like the Evans story, seem logical enough, given a club's needs, likely player availability, plus a sort of default, pre-disgruntled assumption that we'll overpay. (This isn't unique to a Toffee's genetic makeup, is it?). I'm still trying to learn, however, to be wary of those near-fact and fact-like phrases, as rumoured deals exist on a spectrum from "lunatic fabrication" to "done deal." And even a "done deal" isn't, necessarily.

What number will Jonny be assigned?