IGNORED

Jonny Evans

• 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11745147/Man-Utd-transfer-news-Jonny-Evans-close-to-sealing-8m-Everton-move.html

Joke is he only has 1 year left on his contract as well. He's just a mediocre player isn't he? Nothing to get excited about and when Distin left I looked forward to seeing which promising CB we'd be bringing in. If it is him then I'm not amused. Utd are probably laughing if they get 8 million for an injury prone defender who has only 1 year left on his contract and they want rid anyway. Thing is, we want to compete with the likes of Utd for the top 4 and signing someone who's not gonna play for them doesn't send the right message to us fans or in convincing the likes of Stones and co that we're really going somewhere with out squad.

Edited by Geth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3164243/Everton-close-7million-Manchester-United-defender-Jonny-Evans.html

7M seems like we are paying an absolute premium. The only plus point I have on this is that he will fit in with the dressing room etc but I really hope Jags and Stones don't get injured. Will be very happy to be proved wrong on this but not the signing I was hoping for.

So it looks like he's joining us. I think he's an decent option to rotate in and out as required, and he's the right age, experience etc to add to the squad, but I've never thought of him as a 'leader', which is the kind of character I think we're missing. Does he have that in his character, or a bit of an edge to his game? I guess he must be a strong character to have made it through the ranks into the first team at Man Utd and stayed there under SAF and then Moyes.

Edited by efc1111

What a waste of £7m. Must be better options available for that fee.

Only plus is, if we can waste £7m on him, we must have a lot more money to spend than I expected we would have. If we are spending £7m on a back up defender, surely we are going to spend £20m-£25m on a first choice playmaker!

Edited by markiediow

7m for gim is fair..am I missing something?

He's a decent player, not great but good.

Ate you guys living in the noughties still?

7m isn't that much these days.

And he's still young.

I wouldn't mind him coming to honest. Decent player with age on his side.

Mirallas came from the Greek league and was totally untested in the Premier. It's pointless to look at prices paid a few years ago now that clubs have much more money. We also paid 9 million for Bilyaletdinov if that helps.

That is true, he did come from the Greek league, but he was bought to be a starter and a key player on the wings. Surely the tv money has not had that big of an impact a couple of seasons later... right?

Fair point on Bily though, I did not realize that is what we paid for him.

That is true, he did come from the Greek league, but he was bought to be a starter and a key player on the wings. Surely the tv money has not had that big of an impact a couple of seasons later... right?

It has, consider the fact Dann was quoted at 8 million and Palace wouldn't sell. Would even City have paid 49 million for someone like Sterling five years ago? What ever comparative price you pull out, you need to add 20-30% to it, and since clubs don't need to sell anymore, in some cases even more. Just like we sold Arteta for 10 million because we needed the money, today his price would be 15-20 million, comparatively speaking.

Let's look at it this way - would anyone be happy with Evans being Stones' replacement? Because that's what he'll be. In 12-18 months I think someone will take Stones off our hands. There's no way Evans will leave being a back-up at Manchester United to being a back-up with us. So if he signs for us it's because he knows he won't be back-up here for long.

Hey ho, good business I suppose.

But I'd course the TV money has made a big difference, look at Sterling.

Sterling is a different case though. That price was artificially inflated by the Shite. Sterling would be 20M max for me. City are stupid enough to have paid the premium that also includes the QPR sell on.

I find it difficult to understand how we would pay 7M for Evans in his last contract year when Spurs were looking for 6M for Lennon. From what I'm reading they now value Lennon at 9M - madness.

I'll defer to Martinez on this one. I would just really prefer us not to buy him at all.

Let's look at it this way - would anyone be happy with Evans being Stones' replacement? Because that's what he'll be. In 12-18 months I think someone will take Stones off our hands. There's no way Evans will leave being a back-up at Manchester United to being a back-up with us. So if he signs for us it's because he knows he won't be back-up here for long.

Hey ho, good business I suppose.

Nope, if Stones is sold someone is brought in to replace him. Just like we can't cope with two CB's now we can't then.

Bang average at a high cost I couldn't care less about inflated prices as even in todays market for a player of his ability it's a fairly high amount especially considering he's only a year left on his contract

This is the point I was trying to get across regarding the younger lads as bar experience he'll offer no more ability wise

Hopefully won't happen and we're looking elsewhere at better options

Nah, Evans will move from back-up to first choice and we'll bring in someone else to sit on the bench.

I'm sure the plan will be for Browning and/or Galloway to step up in the next couple of years. I do feel we need an incredible season this year to keep Stones (and Lulaku). They'll no doubt be in demand after the Euros.