Stephenson26

Chang Beer  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Chang Beer?

• Yes
    • I've had worse
    • Never tried it
    • Tastes like shit

Being a bit of a beer afficionado, I have no doubt that Chang is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. In the words of Jilly Goulden, it tastes like it has been fermented with the flotsam of a desert sandal with overtones of pureed parrot droppings and an aftertaste of ripened elephant dung with an aroma of halitosis enhanced dog breath. :D

Interesting how Pete0 and The Beard can have such amazingly different opinions on the same beer. I wouldn't call it the best I ever had but definitely not as bad as The Beard describes it. You want some beers that taste like his description you should come here to the states..........we have some nasty ass stuff here.

Worst beer I ever drank was in communist era Bulgaria....just truly awful....think Saint Miguel (which is pretty awful anyway imo) but stronger tasting and pretty much flat.

Stella is funny....was marketed for years as "reassuringly expensive" and is now (I'd have thought) the market leader, most discounted and cheapest premium lager available. Strange that....I like it though :) .

How much is Stella costing these days over there? Here it is $8.00 for a 6pack or about £4.89

Varies dramatically depending on offers/how much you buy but a four pack of 440ml cans is about £3.50/£4.00.

Though at times you can get a twenty can (or 24x330ml bottle) box for £10 :) .

Varies dramatically depending on offers/how much you buy but a four pack of 440ml cans is about £3.50/£4.00.

Though at times you can get a twenty can (or 24x330ml bottle) box for £10 :) .

So about the same as here, interesting. I am guessing that John Smith's is cheaper than that? The way you guys are describing it sounds like some of the cheaper stuff we have here in the states that tastes like bath water also. Ever heard of Yuengling Lager? It's brewed here in the states but is a great brew and very cheaply priced, best beer for the price imo.

Personally I am not a big drinker at all. A sniff of the barmaid's dress and I am on me back really.

However the beers I prefer are Stouts, Ales and sometimes ciders. As far as lager is concerned the only beers I can say that I am happy with are Carlsberg and Tiger Beer.

But as far as Stout is concerned, I like Murphy's more than Guinness, but I like Guinness too.

Ales? Well McKewans's 90/-, or any of the Cain's stuff. (Yes I used to be a Higson's drinker too) I prefer a nice brown ale, or brown over mild. Newcastle is acceptable if nothing else is available.

Cider, I like Merrydown, or just for a cold drink with friends while watching TV I like Blackthorn.

Aww hell put it in a glass, if it has alcohol it is acceptable :lol::lol:

Great topic/ theme by the way :D

Personally I drink John Smiths and I have a beard, unless I venture to a proper ale house serving guest ales. The Ship and Mitre in town is a classic example of satisfying the discerning drinker. A regularly changing beer menu with quite often over 20 draught lagers, beers, ciders, stouts etc on the go. Most served in their own make/ branded glass, which shows they care.

My favourites, at present are,

Lager- Kingfisher/ Lal Toofan, with a curry, otherwise don't really like it

Cider- Aspalls Suffolk Cider, so refreshing and moorish it's untrue

Bitter- Hydes Black Bitter, not far off being a stout in taste. In fact first time I had it I thought I was served a pint of Guinness.

Ale- Wychwoods' Hobgoblin. A ruby ale with a choclatey, toffee aroma (don't let that put you off) with a dry biscuity taste. Great with a bowl of scouse.

Stout- Samual Smiths Oatmeal stout. Medium dry taste, quite velvety with a real bitter finish. Similar to Uncle Johns Oatmeal Stout from USA.

Ok, now that's done, time to visit a local hostelry to try some more fine ales. B)

Edited by The Beard

I have heard of Blue Nun but not Blue Moon. (Blue Nun is a low standard type of wine apparently.... never tried it)

Blue Moon, a Belgian-style witbier brewed by Tenth and Blake Beer Company in Golden, Colorado, was launched in 1995. In Canada it is marketed as a similar beer called Rickard's White and is brewed in Montreal, Quebec[2]. Originally called Bellyslide Belgian White, it was created by Keith Villa, a brewer at Coors Field's Sandlot Brewery (the onsite brewery owned by the Molson Coors Brewing Company). The beer is orange-amber in color with a cloudy appearance because it is unfiltered. It is also spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. Blue Moon has a more pronounced orange flavor than many other beers of the style, and also has a slightly sweet flavor. The grain bill for Blue Moon includes malted barley, white wheat, and oats.

* 1995 World Beer Championship gold medalist, White Beer category

* 1996 World Beer Championship silver medalist, White Beer category

* 1997 World Beer Championship silver medalist, White Beer category

* 2008 World Beer Cup gold medalist, Specialty Honey Lager or Ale category for Blue Moon's Honey Moon

* 2008 World Beer Cup silver medalist, Fruit and Vegetable Beer category for Chardonnay Blonde

* 2008 World Beer Cup Champion Brewery - Large Brewing Company

*Wikipedia

Westmalle, Westvleteren, Chimay and Rochfort are to die for.

Major downside with Westvleteren is that each time you want to have a beer, you actually have to drive to the monastery and plead with monks to for once give you more than six beers to take home :).

Personally prefer dark beers but think Guinness might quite possibly be the worst thing ever.

Westmalle, Westvleteren, Chimay and Rochfort are to die for.

Major downside with Westvleteren is that each time you want to have a beer, you actually have to drive to the monastery and plead with monks to for once give you more than six beers to take home :).

Personally prefer dark beers but think Guinness might quite possibly be the worst thing ever.

I have tried them all, very nice. It is one thing that the Belgians do well and that is their beers, Holystove must be spoilt for choice. What about Duvel? and even Timmermans Frambozen or Kriek can be quite nice for a refreshing change. Another I like is the Saint Feuillien range, which are quite strong. Them trappist monks knew how to party. I also collect branded beer glasses, all donated by frequented establishments on request. I have over 300, which have know been decamped to the loft, many Belgian ones in the collection. I also have some dating back over 50 years from The Time and Phoenix breweries in Dublin. The only one I have ever broken is an Italian drink called EVERTON :( , which even has a castle, rather like our own design as their trademark.