IGNORED

Leon Osman

Haven't seen this linked yet, but the Echo report that Ossie is looking to carry on playing when his current deal expires next summer:

"If I can get out there and keep up the levels I have shown over the last few years then my intent it to try and keep on playing."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/osman-want-extend-everton-career-9664927

Haven't seen this linked yet, but the Echo report that Ossie is looking to carry on playing when his current deal expires next summer:

"If I can get out there and keep up the levels I have shown over the last few years then my intent it to try and keep on playing."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/osman-want-extend-everton-career-9664927

No doubt he'll get a new contract around January time.

agreed. he can go to a newly promoted team for a year. we need younger and better players. i don't want another hibbert situation here.

You mean keeping a seasoned, well respected, cheap and adequate back up around for the extra body? Not to mention one of the most important members of the dressing room and a tremendous example to the youngsters coming through.

Its got nothing to do sentimentality. Players are not just there for the 90 minutes on the pitch, they play a massive part in how the club is defined and exists. Gettin rid of stalwarts like Hibbert because they're getting on is very short sighted,

You mean keeping a seasoned, well respected, cheap and adequate back up around for the extra body? Not to mention one of the most important members of the dressing room and a tremendous example to the youngsters coming through.

Its got nothing to do sentimentality. Players are not just there for the 90 minutes on the pitch, they play a massive part in how the club is defined and exists. Gettin rid of stalwarts like Hibbert because they're getting on is very short sighted,

Yes matt i love osman. Great player and teammate and all that. no argument there. i just believe we need younger players. doesn't seem to hinder southampton.

Need players who can set a good example. Ossie has always been a player the others like having around. He's funny and keeps spirits up in the squad too. I know you need to be more than that as a footballer, but morale can never be underestimated in any group of people who have to work together.

depends on the contract amount - I wouldn't give someone a contract for being a cheeky chappie and good for the dressing room - or out of loyalty.

What I would like to see is the potential that experienced players are given a pay as play deal with a £10k a week basic and they utilise their main time as a mentor to younger players in an official capacity. Kinda like a player coach of some sort.

we will. barry, jags, plus by then naisy will be labeled veteran, same with mirallas if he stays, we will have plenty of 30+ players. now we have too many.

None of those are Everton bred one club stalwarts though, few and far between in the game nowadays and I'm proud that we have two of them. Really hope he and Hibbo stay at the club in one capacity or another for many years, and IMO they both still have something to offer as players.

None of those are Everton bred one club stalwarts though, few and far between in the game nowadays and I'm proud that we have two of them. Really hope he and Hibbo stay at the club in one capacity or another for many years, and IMO they both still have something to offer as players.

Exactly

As Haf says, it depends on the contract. Considering he's on somewhere in the region of 25k a week (Barry is on 3 times that roughly) he is a relative bargain. His influence is massive to the club, he has been with Everton since he was a kid, nearly 3/4 of his life in and around the club. He is proof that the kids can make it. Certainly no world beater but an important part of the squad none the less

I'll also be honest here. Ossie has been my favourite player for over a decade, so I am biased. Also, I hold loyalty very highly but more than that, he embodies everything I love about this club.

If Osman earns a new deal then I'm fine with that. Hibbert really doesn't have something to offer as a player though. Keep him around as a coach or whatever, but please do not renew his contract once this runs out.

yes i've no issue with them joining the coaching staff. a coach/player role for ossie would be fine too. once they leave who will be the vet that's been at everton all the time? ross barkley? i don't think it's possible to always have that person on your squad. its' nice now, but won't be end of the world when we don't have one there, that's all i'm saying.

Sorry but Everton are a proper club...we are loyal and I will have the day we lose that.

We owe this lad!

You want us to lose that?....really?

At what price.

We owe him?? We've made him a multi millionaire and set him up for life doing a job he loves.

Owe him?? My fucking god. How do we owe him Shukes? It's not like Chelsea, United, Barca , Bayern or the likes have been banging our door down for him and he's refused to go is it. If they had he would have more than likely been off.

He owes us. We've paid him handsomely for mostof his career, looked after him well. HE owes US.his legs have gone he is too old. Keep him this season then let him go end of next when he is even slower and the game passes him by even more than it does now.

We owe him?? We've made him a multi millionaire and set him up for life doing a job he loves.

Owe him?? My fucking god. How do we owe him Shukes? It's not like Chelsea, United, Barca , Bayern or the likes have been banging our door down for him and he's refused to go is it. If they had he would have more than likely been off.

He owes us. We've paid him handsomely for mostof his career, looked after him well. HE owes US.his legs have gone he is too old. Keep him this season then let him go end of next when he is even slower and the game passes him by even more than it does now.

Previous disagreements aside on this one - completely.

Osman is still an effective player in my eyes. He's got great feet and the ability to hold onto the ball. This is where he makes up for his lack of pace. He's still one of the best "footballers" we have. Either replace him with a footballer or keep him.

Previous disagreements aside on this one - completely.

Osman is still an effective player in my eyes. He's got great feet and the ability to hold onto the ball. This is where he makes up for his lack of pace. He's still one of the best "footballers" we have. Either replace him with a footballer or keep him.

Idon't disagree with you for the sake of it MC, infact I agree with you more than not. We'll have to agree to disagree here. I just watch him huff, puff and labour around a football pitch. Players just stroll past him like he isn't there. He looks well past his best for me.

Regardless of that though, we owe him fuck all. Absolutely zilch

I've been at my current employer for 17 years, thing is if I ain't as good as what I was I certainly won't be getting a wage. Why should footballers be andifferent... They get a testimonial ffs, signing on bonus, win bonus, get taken on holidays.

It really is a different life. I like Leon I do, but when his annual salary is more than me and my wife will earn in our lifetime it is a joke. Especially given that my wife is a children's nurse it puts things into perspective.

My point is Pad that we are a club with integrity and look after our loyal players, we don't just discard them when we deem them no use.

I personally hope we stay that way and don't modernise.

We have a lot of respect due to how we treat players and this is why young players opt for us a lot of times.

Don't emphasise on one comment but rather the whole context. Others may feel different bit I feel that's what makes us Everton.....we are sentimental!

I've been at my current employer for 17 years, thing is if I ain't as good as what I was I certainly won't be getting a wage. Why should footballers be andifferent... They get a testimonial ffs, signing on bonus, win bonus, get taken on holidays.

It really is a different life. I like Leon I do, but when his annual salary is more than me and my wife will earn in our lifetime it is a joke. Especially given that my wife is a children's nurse it puts things into perspective.

This ^^ Just yesterday another bloke went to the supervisor a bit upset because i was on 1 quid more and got told he isnt get a raise, doesnt do enough ant problem get your tools and go. That was the end of it.

As for getting rid, i think he can still offer a little bit this year, I would like him and Peanuts as our 10's interchanging ( if we dont get one it ) then next year he should be given a more club based role, vital to the dressing room. Along with Hibbo.

Edited by Btay

My point is Pad that we are a club with integrity and look after our loyal players, we don't just discard them when we deem them no use.

I personally hope we stay that way and don't modernise.

We have a lot of respect due to how we treat players and this is why young players opt for us a lot of times.

Don't emphasise on one comment but rather the whole context. Others may feel different bit I feel that's what makes us Everton.....we are sentimental!

It makes us a soft touch and the exact reason why we are treading water.

If you owned a company and had an operator who was struggling to answer calls, was way behind most of the others and just wasn't up to speed any more would you keep her because she's been there 20 years or replace her with a newer better one?

If it's the former then your company will be bust before you know it.

He has property all over Skelmerdale and I'll tell you a little story about Leon. He is married to my wifes cousin. Before he made it big his wifes sister won the lottery in a syndicate in the Giro Bank, she took them everywhere, bought them a house, holidays , clothes the lot. She spent the lot also, silly silly girl but there you go. That same girl now has 4 kids and was about to lose her home, literally baliffs had served the papers. Leon and his wife bought the house and now charge her full rent. No discount, no you can live there for free for all you done for us when we were 17 no nothing. No loyalty because business is business.

Now I don't know any of them and if he wants to charge her that's his business and the other sisters look out but Everton owe him nothing mate, just like he owes his sister in law nothing (even though you could argue he and his wife do) if a bigger club had come in for him he would have been gone, he hasn't turned down mega money offers or better deals,. He and Hibbo are one club playyers be cause no fucker has really been interested. They're just average players. Good decent solid pros but they have both been looked after by Everton and paid very well in the process.

We certainly don't owe him, but the club owes itself to keep one of it's longest serving players around. He costs half of Gibson / Pienaar / Barry but his influence within the squad and the club should not be underestimated.

And will give us more on the pitch than those three next year as well

If you owned a company and had an operator who was struggling to answer calls, was way behind most of the others and just wasn't up to speed any more would you keep her because she's been there 20 years or replace her with a newer better one?

If that operator was totally devoted to my company and brought the best out the rest of my workforce by encouraging team spirit and making it a happy place to work I'd keep them for certain, idiotic not to. If they weren't useful on the phone anymore I'd make them a supervisor.

If that operator was totally devoted to my company and brought the best out the rest of my workforce by encouraging team spirit and making it a happy place to work I'd keep them for certain, idiotic not to. If they weren't useful on the phone anymore I'd make them a supervisor.

Just because they were good on the phones doesn't mean they would make a good supervisor, I know that first hand but we're getting off track here.

This season should be Osmans last as an Evertom player . He laboured last season he'll be worse this, the season after that would be madness to keep him.

Edited by Paddock