IGNORED

Is Everton Traditionally Catholic Or Protestant?

Afternoon everyone

Just wanted to find out about the traditional fanbase as an outsider, i like Everton a lot but i can't support them as i have now made my bed so must lay in it and 21 years old, far too late to start supporting new teams but love to see the club do well and would not be disappointed if one day they won the league or FA cup.

I wanted to see if the club is traditionally catholic as i have read and heard from many sources? I am catholic myself so just wanted to confirm this out of interest from some real evertonians

Thanks for looking and hope to see some response

I have a father and a brother who are Liverpoo fans, and myself and two other brothers are Everton fans.

I dont think you can say with any confidence which it is because there are thousands of families who have divided loyalties just like mine. ;)

Both clubs originally have ties to Methodism. You can find evidence on both sides for either being 'traditionally' one or the other but the evidence is always tenuous at best.

There is no Catholic or Protestant split these days between Everton/Liverpool, however. Liverpool has a huge Irish Catholic community and both clubs enjoy support from both denominations. Usually Everton and Liverpool fans would have been friendlier with Celtic than with Rangers though in Everton's case this has ceased to even be a talking point anymore. Liverpool probably have closer ties with Celtic these days owing to them having far more fans than in Ireland (clearly evidenced through their singing of YNWA and the Fields (of Athenry/Anfield Road)).

The best argument against any latent sectarian split between Everton and Liverpool is the far clearer and more famous intra-familial split. It's kind of impossible for there to be any sectarian split if support is split within families of the same religion, isn't it? :lol:

Edited by Ian C

I'm a born again athiest/lapsed Pagan but I was briefly a Baptist (because I had the hots for a lass who was one....went to the same church as Cliff Richard but that's another story :P ).

Ive got to be honest and say im more intrested in what Mike0 is hiding in his past ha! Im not religous in the slightest so would find it hard to comment! So who was this girl then Mike0 haha!

...So who was this girl then Mike0 haha!

I can't say anything at the mo....but check the NOTW in the near future under the headline...

"Cliff Richard in Church hall orgy with seven women and an Evertonian shocker!"

I'll be sunning myself in the Caymens with £500,000 in the bank B) .

I can't say anything at the mo....but check the NOTW in the near future under the headline...

"Cliff Richard in Church hall orgy with seven women and an Evertonian shocker!"

I'll be sunning myself in the Caymens with £500,000 in the bank B) .

I look forward to reading all the gory details, theres gonna be a few if your getting 500,00 grand mate hahaha

Just a thought mate but you could double DM transfer kitty if you "invest" that money Mike0!!

Edited by smeghead1

Im Evertonian, I am Catholic.

But my Catholic roots come from my mothers side, everyone is Catholic on her side, but the reds and blues are mixed.

My Evertonian roots come from my dads side, where everyone is "one of those" as my late grandma would say, apart from me and my sis.

I know catholic and prodestant blues and reds, but most of them dont believe in God.

• 3 years later...
Guest millwallforever

I'm Catholic and Evertonian. But to be honest, I couldn't care less about the perceived religious affiliations of my club. Any religious dimension is merely a reflection of the demographics of the area from which any given club hails. Everton had strong Irish connections in the past, but rest assured that there are Catholic Liverpool fans who would argue that Liverpool are the Catholic club of the city. The only English club that I know of with definite Catholic connections are Newcaste United. The Domincan Order was instrumental to the founding of the club and the black and white stripes are the colours of the Dominican Order.

Afternoon everyone
Just wanted to find out about the traditional fanbase as an outsider, i like Everton a lot but i can't support them as i have now made my bed so must lay in it and 21 years old, far too late to start supporting new teams but love to see the club do well and would not be disappointed if one day they won the league or FA cup.
I wanted to see if the club is traditionally catholic as i have read and heard from many sources? I am catholic myself so just wanted to confirm this out of interest from some real evertonians

Thanks for looking and hope to see some response

Guest John Burns

The origins of EFC and LFC are protestant, if religion is at the base, which it is not. From emerging from St.Domingos Methodist church, when the club became Everton FC, players from all over were accepted, not just those who attended the church. Everton FC represented the district and all in it. Ex EFC chairman Houlding founded LFC. He was a brewer, Tory and an Orangeman. The EFC Committee were largely Liberal minded anti-alcohol Methodists. Religion played no part in the split at EFC which created LFC. It was to do with pure business, who was controlling the club and the form of ownership. Houlding wanted a few people owning most of the shares running the club like any other business, as LFC is run today and unfortunately EFC followed much later. The Liberal committee, with Liberal views, wanted a spread of ownership amongst the fans. The EFC Shareholder's Association was the very first with annual meetings still to this day. When I was a small boy no alcohol was sold at Goodison Park. If anything was underlying there may have been a political chasm, Tory and Liberal.

After being named Everton FC, at no time was EFC or LFC their histories, aligned to any religion, neither were the fans. At no time did any club have any solid links with the two bigoted Glasgow clubs.

As the Orange Order is present in Liverpool people seem to think the football clubs follow what occurs in Glasgow. They never at any time and still do not.

https://localwiki.org/liverpool/History_of_Everton_FC

Edited by John Burns

Religeon has no place in football. Religeoen isthe scurge of the planet. It breeds hatred and incites war.

If I had my way I would ban it and I honestly mean that.

I also realise that it cold never happen but it doesn't stop me wishing.

When you have a moment, take a look at the 20 worst atrocities in the history of the world. Not one of them was caused by religion - unless you call the atheism of Stalin and Mao or the anti-Semitic Naziism of Hitler a religion. But since when have facts ever determined opinions? :)

When you have a moment, take a look at the 20 worst atrocities in the history of the world. Not one of them was caused by religion - unless you call the atheism of Stalin and Mao or the anti-Semitic Naziism of Hitler a religion. But since when have facts ever determined opinions? :)

I never said it was the cause of the worst atrocities I said it bred hatred and incited wars.

How many wars have happened through religeon. Ethnic cleansing? Muslims slaughtering Christians and vice verca?

The Knights Templar?

Protestants slaughtering Catholic priests..

The list goes on and is endless.

I'm not going to get into a debate on religeon but in my eyes religdon is a catalyst to oblivion to everyone.

I never said it was the cause of the worst atrocities I said it bred hatred and incited wars.

As I look around, I see schools called St. Stephen's and St. Andrew's - because churches believed in education and built the first schools. I see hospitals called St. Peter's and St. James' - because churches believed in serving the injured and sick and built the first hospitals. I see orphanages called St. Luke's and leprosy missions overseas called St. Thomas'. I see much of the world's most beautiful paintings and hear most of the world's most beautiful music and, lo and behold, it was funded by churches. Almost all the great scientists of history were funded by the church - including (little known, it seems) the work of Galileo and Copernicus. And, as I mentioned, none of the world's worst atrocities were due to religion.

This is why I never understand such statements of animosity against people and institutions of faith.

Haha, Galileo who was convicted of heresy by the church because he dared to suggest the earth wasn't in fact the centre of the solar system (which didn't fit in to their view and threatened the idea of heaven and hell actually being physical places), and forced to recant under threat of torture?!

Haha, Galileo who was convicted of heresy by the church because he dared to suggest the earth wasn't in fact the centre of the solar system (which didn't fit in to their view and threatened the idea of heaven and hell actually being physical places), and forced to recant under threat of torture?!

Read your history. He was hounded by one group, but he was actually funded by another. It's difficult to understand today just watch a huge paradigm shift in thinking his ideas represented. And, as with any organisation that finds itself powerful, it will sometimes be taken over by politicians hungry for power. Very very sad, but that's life. Still, in my books, the good far far outweighs the bad.

Without meaning to take this discussion too far off track, I sometimes point out that, over 300 years, the Inquisition murdered on average 3 people per month. During the years of Mao, atheist China murders about 100,000 every month. You never hear these facts in the media because, right now, it's "trendy" to be anti-religious. So be it. The pendulum of opinion swings to and fro.