IGNORED

Danny Welbeck

I think Welbeck would be a very fine striker for as long as the price doesn't drain EFC's summer budget.

The best way I can describe Welbeck is that he's the complete opposite of Carlos Bacca: he's not an instinctive pacey, dirty little killer. (that's why I don't get the Sturridge comparison)

He plays in an technically well fashioned way, straight from the book. Typical MU academy player, he doesn't play with raw instincts at all, but exactly as he's been taught. With his brains and not with his belly. And he's strong with headers. He's the kind of guy you need at least one of in your squad, in case your instinctive little killer doesn't obey the manager's instructions. This is just my impression, does that make sense to you?

Makes sense to me. I dont mind Welbeck, and think he could thrive at Everton the more Ive thought about it but 10m max for me. If we are going to create chances, we need a clinical striker and he just isnt that in my opinion. But, he does seem to work hard and maybe he would create more space for a clinical striker. Who knows :)

well I think he has done enough in the first half here to ease peoples minds about his first touch....it actually looks pretty good. He also seems to be able to hold the ball up well too. ok its against Peru who seem a short team haha but they do seem strong and stocky.

If we could get welbeck for £10m I would be happy with that. I think what he has in terms of development needs is mental, , physically a great athlete, I believe with consistent games he will score goals.

He is not a 20 goal a season man but will get us 15 plus link up very well.

Thought he was very poor for the most part tonight got slightly better in the last twenty or so but Stirling would start over him all day for me in that position

I do like him though and think he'd do well here I don't think he's ever going to be prolific more of a steady 10/15 a season man, what he lacks is what Lukaku excels in and vice versa for me if you could mould the two you'd have some player

Guest Nikica

Plenty of times he took a heavy touch which led to a 50/50. I see it a lot from him but it seems to go unnoticed by Man U fans. He's like Lukaku in that respect - very erratic technically. The difference is he has three and a half years of development time on Lukaku now so he's unlikely to improve much more in this respect. And the other key difference is that he's very average in terms of finishing. He's also pretty much a major headless chicken - not a very intelligent footballer imo.

Some good posters here rate him, but I just don't like him as a player.

Edited by Nikica

Gotta say I see why certain people say we have preconceptions of players.

I recorded the match and watched it again.

He lost the ball twice from a bad touch.

He ran into someone three times through dribbling, twice was after either a very smart turn or from running past three players.

His first touch was good all night, I think he had one bad first touch?

He held the ball up very well all night.

I'm actually considering people's football knowledge after that haha.

I would also like to let you guys know that you need to give Barkley time, because from your perception of Welder's performance you must surely be thinking that Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the squad? If your honest that is...

Dis you guys really think Welbeck was poor? Or are you trying to talk yourselves out of the possibility of signing him lol.

Sorry if I upset anyone but this is almost back to the old Naismith days haha complete lack of understanding of forward play.

Guest Nikica

Gotta say I see why certain people say we have preconceptions of players.

I recorded the match and watched it again.

He lost the ball twice from a bad touch.

He ran into someone three times through dribbling, twice was after either a very smart turn or from running past three players.

His first touch was good all night, I think he had one bad first touch?

He held the ball up very well all night.

I'm actually considering people's football knowledge after that haha.

I would also like to let you guys know that you need to give Barkley time, because from your perception of Welder's performance you must surely be thinking that Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the squad? If your honest that is...

Dis you guys really think Welbeck was poor? Or are you trying to talk yourselves out of the possibility of signing him lol.

Sorry if I upset anyone but this is almost back to the old Naismith days haha complete lack of understanding of forward play.

Don't come out with that shite. It's the sort of thing the morons on Redcafe come out with because people don't rate Welbeck. What a condescending comment. We are talking about fucking Danny Welbeck here, not Pele - it's more than reasonable not to rate him. He's done nothing in his career and has actually stagnated.

As for 'lack of understanding of forward play', I do pretty well as a forward when I play myself.

Either way, I'm judging more on what I have seen from him over the last few years, not the other night. He had some nice touches the other night but he was also constantly running down blind alleys and also had some heavy touches.

Welbeck seems to be the only player I've seen where people say 'you don't understand football' if you don't rate him. I saw it with Carrick too actually but I like him as a player.

I could turn round and say that perhaps your standards are too low...see how easy it is? But I don't think that and I won't say that, because comments like 'you don't get football' or 'your standards are too low' don't belong on this football forum.

For the record, Welbeck's biggest fans on Redcafe seem to be utterly moronic, unable to accept opposing opinions on him, and they dream things up about him (they're claiming he's a great finisher because of his whoscored stats). I think that's pretty telling.

There are probably players who you think are average whom I and others really rate so it works both ways. Stop with the smarmy comments. You are flattering Welbeck big-style by using him as a litmus test of who does and doesn't get football. You should probably start with him given his brainless running. Even his fanboys are saying he was underwhelming the other night.

Views on isolated players have no bearing on what people do or don't get about football. And, again, it's Danny Welbeck. It's not like clubs around Europe are banging down the door to sign him (despite the fact he's nowhere near first pick for Man U). How pathetic would it be if Bailey, tenacious or Romey (three guys whom are amongst the best posters here, btw) found a recent comment of yours and implied you don't get football because they disagree with it? Very, and that's what you're doing here. I doubt they would do it though as they're not that immature or petulant. From what I have seen these guys are far more clued up than Welbeck fanboys on other sites, which is telling.

Apologies for the lengthy post but condescending comments like yours have no place here.

"haha! can still go ahead, its all opinion"

So, first you say it's all opinion (which is fair), then a few hours later anyone who doesn't rate him is clueless...

"I would also like to let you guys know that you need to give Barkley time, because from your perception of Welder's performance you must surely be thinking that Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the squad? If your honest that is"

That's a strange comment, the difference is that Barkley is very young and much more talented, so likely to be a better impact player and 'wildcard' than Welbeck. He has far more footballing ability. What Barkley did in this game (where he didn't even start) has zero bearing on what should happen in Brazil. Silly comparison.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

As for Naismith, I have seen far more of him than you have (Rangers fan). He's an intelligent player but his footballing ability is lacking, and he'll never be more than a fringe player for you. Not a bad player but - like Welbeck - hardly the type to say to those who don't rate him: 'you don't understand forward play'. I expect him to be on the periphery of your team in future - more of a manager's guilty pleasure type.

Guest Nikica

He's not a winger and that was the position he was expected to play (as he has been over and over again) - I'd like to see the positive runs through the middle. I've seen enough to believe he could be a very good centre forward for us.

He was playing as an inverted winger in a 4231/433, not a traditional winger in a 442. He said himself the other day that he far prefers to play as an inverted wide player in a 433 than a defensive wider player in a 442. So he was basically playing a position he likes and where Van Gaal would be likely to play him next season in his 433.

These excuses are made for him constantly - "he was playing wide, play him central and he will score plenty". I don't buy it, he's played wide in a 4231 plenty of times. Formations are dynamic and he's had plenty of chances to get himself into the box when played there. it's just an excuse.

Of his goals last season, 2 of them came on the first day, and most of the rest came in a 1 month purple patch against the likes of Norwich, Villa and West Ham I believe. The only semi-decent teams he scored against were Swansea and Tottenham (and Mancs lost the latter game). He also started most games he scored in, so the claim (made by someone earlier in the thread) that he was getting goals from very few minutes or as a sub is wrong. It was just a purple patch and - interestingly - he played wide in some of the games he scored in, proving further that it can be done and it's simply an excuse.

Wingers (especially wide players in a 433) are expected to score goals too. He's still playing an attacking role and getting into the box.

I'm more interested in his overrated link-up play than his goalscoring anyway. People on here are actually slating Lukaku yet talking up this guy...perhaps if you actually sign Welbeck you'll find out that the grass isn't always greener.

Oh, I've also heard plenty of stories that he's an arrogant, obnoxious cunt.

Edited by Nikica

Don't come out with that shite. It's the sort of thing the morons on Redcafe come out with because people don't rate Welbeck. What a condescending comment. We are talking about fucking Danny Welbeck here, not Pele - it's more than reasonable not to rate him. He's done nothing in his career and has actually stagnated.

As for 'lack of understanding of forward play', I do pretty well as a forward when I play myself.

Either way, I'm judging more on what I have seen from him over the last few years, not the other night. He had some nice touches the other night but he was also constantly running down blind alleys and also had some heavy touches.

Welbeck seems to be the only player I've seen where people say 'you don't understand football' if you don't rate him. I saw it with Carrick too actually but I like him as a player.

I could turn round and say that perhaps your standards are too low...see how easy it is? But I don't think that and I won't say that, because comments like 'you don't get football' or 'your standards are too low' don't belong on this football forum.

For the record, Welbeck's biggest fans on Redcafe seem to be utterly moronic, unable to accept opposing opinions on him, and they dream things up about him (they're claiming he's a great finisher because of his whoscored stats). I think that's pretty telling.

There are probably players who you think are average whom I and others really rate so it works both ways. Stop with the smarmy comments. You are flattering Welbeck big-style by using him as a litmus test of who does and doesn't get football. You should probably start with him given his brainless running. Even his fanboys are saying he was underwhelming the other night.

Views on isolated players have no bearing on what people do or don't get about football. And, again, it's Danny Welbeck. It's not like clubs around Europe are banging down the door to sign him (despite the fact he's nowhere near first pick for Man U). How pathetic would it be if Bailey, tenacious or Romey (three guys whom are amongst the best posters here, btw) found a recent comment of yours and implied you don't get football because they disagree with it? Very, and that's what you're doing here. I doubt they would do it though as they're not that immature or petulant. From what I have seen these guys are far more clued up than Welbeck fanboys on other sites, which is telling.

Apologies for the lengthy post but condescending comments like yours have no place here.

"haha! can still go ahead, its all opinion"

So, first you say it's all opinion (which is fair), then a few hours later anyone who doesn't rate him is clueless...

"I would also like to let you guys know that you need to give Barkley time, because from your perception of Welder's performance you must surely be thinking that Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the squad? If your honest that is"

That's a strange comment, the difference is that Barkley is very young and much more talented, so likely to be a better impact player and 'wildcard' than Welbeck. He has far more footballing ability. What Barkley did in this game (where he didn't even start) has zero bearing on what should happen in Brazil. Silly comparison.

Grow up. I am not going to take that back. I really do feel that way after reading a lot of posts, if you are not adult enough to take those comments without trying to turn it into something else then you shouldn't post on forums.... Man up!

Were talking about Welbeck tour right. A player that has been picked to go to the world cup! You get that right?

So maybe you should not be questioning his ability as much as you as professional coaches and managers seem to have a different opinion.

I think if we can get him for 5 miliion then get him, otherwise don't bother, he's average.

I haven't seen anything from him to believe he could score more than 8-10 goals in a season and I don't know how anyone else on here has. He loves falling over and that dummy which flicked off his heel on Friday night was sheer brilliance.

It would be like buying another Naismith, which is all well and good as Naismith has done well and works hard, but you need someone to put the ball in the net not run around getting in the way.

I think if we can get him for 5 miliion then get him, otherwise don't bother, he's average.

I haven't seen anything from him to believe he could score more than 8-10 goals in a season and I don't know how anyone else on here has. He loves falling over and that dummy which flicked off his heel on Friday night was sheer brilliance.

It would be like buying another Naismith, which is all well and good as Naismith has done well and works hard, but you need someone to put the ball in the net not run around getting in the way.

He has scored 9 in 1461 PL minutes this season. Extrapolate the same average to 2556 minutes (the amount Lukaku played) and he'd end up at 15,7 goals. That's having played on the wing quite a bit rather than up front.

He has scored 9 in 1461 PL minutes this season. Extrapolate the same average to 2556 minutes (the amount Lukaku played) and he'd end up at 15,7 goals. That's having played on the wing quite a bit rather than up front.

That's for a team who played 90% of the season with a manager who doesn't really bring out the best in goalscorers too....

Its crazy really, the same level of criticisms that can be levelled at Lukaku are the ones that shoot Wellbeck down

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/04/25/opta-analysis-lukaku-vs-welbeck-which-everton-target-has/

As I have said, for the right money Wellbeck could be a very good signing for us. I think with consistent run of games you will see a very confident player who would suit our system.

Quick head to head:-

Finishing:- Lukaku, he knows where the net is, no doubt. Wellbeck is no slouch, I did see a couple of times where composure was lacking for united but he is adept. Lukaku wins this.

Hold up and link up play:- Wellbeck is the better footballer for me - better touch and passing ability. Lukaku is poor in this regard

Athleticism/Prescence:- You shouldn't really be able to top lukaku in this regard, but he could be better, he needs to use his size better and in the air for me I think he needs to spend time with Dunc . Welbeck is very quick, fit and lasts 90 minutes at a better level of work rate. Welbeck has superior stamina and presses the opposition very well. Both have their own attributes, Rom is more explosive whereas Welbeck is more gazelle like.

Value:- If we can get welbeck for £10m it represents smart business and is at a level where we would improve our team and have money left for other purchases. I believe that there is a little bit more to come from Lukaku, but not to the level everyone seems to expect. Welbeck given a steady starting place could become a very good player indeed - for me he is technically sound, an athlete and a bloody hard working player.

If we had daft money to blow £20-£25m Lukaku represents an exciting signing, realistically though the supposed more safe and boring option of Welbeck appeals to me more in terms of what we have financially.

We need 2 good strikers to be bought to go along with Naismith and Kone - buy Lukaku and that can't happen.

Ye its ok picking out bad moments and this is why I used the naismith comment.

Back when 80% of the forum was against Naismith I used to comment on how people went quiet each time he did something good which to me was more often than the bad. It took a while for people to change.

With Welbeck he had possibly four bad touched through a whole match but no one mentioned the amount of times the ball went into him, he held onto it and gave a good pass, the run where he went past three people and then overran it into the fourth... With no other options than to go forward. It's these things that sometimes need pointing out. Everyone should have an opinion but we should try to stay objective.

Wellbeck is in the Tom Cleverley, Darron Gibson spoilt Man United fan grouping of:- "why aren't you world class, we are used to Scholes, RVN - if you aren't 99% of the player they were, you just aren't good enough"

It then cascades through football, the prawn butty brigade slate these players at every opportunity because they didn't cost anything and United must have the best players in thew world. It soon catches on and people just say "hmmmm, not for me, he's garbage".

The diifference in opinion of Lukaku vs Welbeck is "lets sign Lukaku for £25m - he's gonna be world class, Welbeck for £10m?! waste of money, he's usless"

The reality is that ability wise there is no great difference at all.

A year or so ago 90% of football experts fans beleived Aaron Ramsey to be awful... amazing what game time and a manager that believes in you can do... I guess a few fans needed to eat humble pie.

Edited by Hafnia