IGNORED

Danny Welbeck

• 2 years later...

Perfect fit in our system in my opinion. Scores when he plays as a striker but rarely given that chance at Man U. I'd actually say he's better with the ball at his feet than Lukaku.

Our systems perfect for strikers who need 5 chances to score one? Because as far as I can see it's creating chances that's been our problem. And saying he's better than Lukaku with the ball at his feet isn't saying much when Lukaku has the touch of an elephant 90% of the time.

I've tried to see why anyone would make a fuss over him and I just don't. So over rated by many just because he plays for United. And because he plays for them he'd cost so much more than he's worth.

Our systems perfect for strikers who need 5 chances to score one?

No, perfect for someone who can hold the ball up, bring others in to play, can run at defenders... correct he's not the most prolific but he's young, still learning and hardly been given a chance as the main striker - he's always done well for England and generally looked very good at Man U. Doubt this will hold any substance anyway unless Moyes wants rid - he's a massive Man U fan so couldn't see him pushing for a move unless he feels he needs a move for more game time.

Guest blueboy122

Agree think he would be a great buy.

Similar type of player to Sturridge. Which is exactly the type of striker to suit our systems

Great one moment, crap the next. Potentially could be a very good fit and kick on to the next level, however I can't see this happening. He's at his boyhood club and getting enough game time to keep him in England contention as well. Guess it depends on the transfer ins and outs at Old Trafford in the Summer...

I don't dislike Welbeck he could be a useful player but i would also say he's overrated due to who he plays for but he's not the type of striker we need he will never be the full package we need to spend what little money we have on a player that will score goals not hold the ball up and have a good performance once every so often plus the money they would want would far out way his capabilities.

A player like Remy or someone of a similar ilk is what we should be looking at in my eyes.

Edited by EFC-Paul

Guest Nikica

Probably the most overrated player on Redcafe. His link-up play has to be the most overrated thing about him - his touch is often terrible, he falls over his own feet when dribbling, and he misses chance after chance. Yet according to those geniuses he's marvellous with the ball at his feet. His most hyped performances seem to be when he plays as a defensive forward closing down deep-lying playmakers :rofl:

I really don't get the hype over Welbeck at all, he's just average. Sturridge is a better footballer and goalscorer and I agree with Paul - Remy would be a far better option.

Edited by Nikica

• 4 weeks later...

As Ive said previously, the more and more I think about it, Im coming round to the idea. Theres no way he can be a target man, which Lukaku is starting to be used as much to my annoyance, so it would mean playing on the deck, which would be better for Welbeck and for us. He looked impressive during his loan spell at Sunderland (I think), and not just when he scored against us twice. Looking at his stats, hes never been prolific but cant help feeling he would be very good in a Martinez, possession based, team. Plus, hes only 23!

All that said, Id rather Rom any day!

Edited by Matt

I wouldn't mind him here. Everyone expects youngsters to be stars by the time they're they turn 20 now it seems. He's young, shows great potential, and if the price is right, why not?

We aren't going to be able to buy any world-beaters.

However, I do realize there are better options out there, but will we be able to get them, let alone Welbeck?

The thing with Welbeck is that you're going to massively overpay for him just because he came through at United.

his wages are a concern

This is where I'm worried. Welbeck can obviously play in the PL, but he comes from United.

I'm always worried about signing players from the "Big 4" and now Man City because of wages.

Guest blueboy122

To be honest I think he would fit better in our system than Lukaku does currently.

I think he could be like a sturridge just needs that certain team to get him playing and for him to discover his full potential.

I think we would play better with this type of forward rather than a battering ram of Romelu.