IGNORED

Danny Welbeck

I think the biggest concern people seem to be having with Welbeck is that he doesn't score goals, either because he's a shit finisher or because he isn't a threat in the box. But this Youtube clip showing his goals from this season seems to suggest that if he is played up front rather than out wide, that he is going to get in goalscoring positions in that central area in the box right in front of goal. Those are the goals you can repeat year in and year out. I don't see much luck involved either. There's some luck in how he gets into the position to score against Norwich, but he shows fine composure for someone who's supposedly the worst finisher in Premier League history. The goal at 00:47 might result from bad defending, a player that isn't as fast and doesn't have that first touch down still wouldn't score.

Look at the linkup play at 1:52, at 2:08. Or at 0:39 or 0:42 in this clip. At 2:10 you can see an instance of his touch on a difficult pass coming at him through the air with a defender all over his back btw. You should look at the entire second clip btw to see his skill on the ball and on several occasions really good decision making.

Also, you can't compare Lukaku playing on the wing against Arsenal to how Welbeck plays on the wing for Man U. Our entire set up that game was meant to create even more space for Lukaku than he'd normally have. With Cazorla not tracking back and Sagna thus having to step out at Baines, Mirallas hugging the touchline drawing one centre back over and Naismith making runs in the channel on that side of the pitch as well thus occupying the other centre back. That way Lukaku was isolated against Monreal and he had 50% of the width entire pitch to take him out.

Yeh I do think he will score goals and those goals are predatory goals which as you say will come year in year out hence why I do think he would be a reasonable purchase and get us 10 ish goals a year.

What I was trying to get at and probably not very well is that they are your traditional CF goals, all ones I would expect Lula for instance to also be able to score. There is some shocking defending and GK on some of them (which will happen no matter what) and then the very fortuitous (villa, Norwich and the one he diverts from another shot) but again that happens. It's probably more coincidence that it has happen in this season's goals. Another thing worth noting is how none of those goals have come in the big games. He scored from a set piece in Madrid and he should have scored in Munich but they are all against your lower level prem teams.

I know and that's why I highlighted it as a one off but that's not to say that Welbeck would not have enjoyed the same benefits having played out wide in periods of the season. Sometimes it wouldn't have helped but there would have been times where it did. You can't have it both ways :)

Edited by Bailey

Yeh I do think he will score goals and those goals are predatory goals which as you say will come year in year out hence why I do think he would be a reasonable purchase and get us 10 ish goals a year.

What I was trying to get at and probably not very well is that they are your traditional CF goals, all ones I would expect Lula for instance to also be able to score. There is some shocking defending and GK on some of them (which will happen no matter what) and then the very fortuitous (villa, Norwich and the one he diverts from another shot) but again that happens. It's probably more coincidence that it has happen in this season's goals. Another thing worth noting is how none of those goals have come in the big games. He scored from a set piece in Madrid and he should have scored in Munich but they are all against your lower level prem teams.

I know and that's why I highlighted it as a one off but that's not to say that Welbeck would not have enjoyed the same benefits having played out wide in periods of the season. Sometimes it wouldn't have helped but there would have been times where it did. You can't have it both ways :)

Him scoring traditional CF goals would have been a good thing, I thought. There's a goal against Spurs in there btw and he's scored against Real, City, Arsenal and Chelsea (and Spurs) in the past as well. If he's going to play CF more, he's gonna score more goals, including against the top sides.

And you mentioned something in your earlier post about him being better further out from goal, which is exactly why I would want him. We need a centre forward that can drop into space, create an overload so we can play our way forward while someone (Barkley/Naismith or the wide men) can make an off-bal run in behind him.

I don't think Welbeck was ever in the same position as the one we managed to put Lukaku in against Arsenal to be honest. We designed our entire game plan around forcing that matchup which isn't something you would do if you had van Persie, Rooney and Mata in the team (that is if Moyes could even think so far out of the box in the first place).

Edited by Steve_E

Opinion - (a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.)

Let's just say some rate the lad as a potentially good signing and some do not, you can't definitively say he would be a good signing or not until or if it happens.

Made my eyes bleed reading through all that bollocks!

Edited by EFC-Paul

• 2 months later...

I have just read a lot more dribble from you pal and I have to admit..... I take back my last post. If you took it personally I am now so happy.

You seem to think you are a very educated person and that your intelligence is of a superior level than most here... The fact you seem to have a reason why everyone's opinion is flawed and have also on several occasions corrected many people... Well get you!

Simple fact for me is that of all the people you have questioned.... Other than me, I admit I am of low intelligence and knowledge, but I value their opinions more as they are more in tune with football than most people I know

You admit you are a deep thinker, could I suggest over thinker? And I mean that as no insult. Just something to think about... But not too much ;-)

he's not well educated, he just has Google.

#twat . iv'e been on the receiving end of his many education lessons. If the ladyboy spent less time with his head in a book and morettime watching everton he wouldn't chat so much shite. Sorry,,,I say as I see.

Bloody hell where did that come from?

I know we had a bit of a spat a few months ago but not sure what I've done to upset you this time haha.

Feel a little flattered I mean so much to you though mate x

Bloody hell where did that come from?

I know we had a bit of a spat a few months ago but not sure what I've done to upset you this time haha.

Feel a little flattered I mean so much to you though mate x

Think he was talking Nikica, not you.

Thats me joking.

....has to go down as the least convincing save in the history of internet forums :rofl:.