IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Im not sure. I would be very worried about his size in physical games up against CBs and DMs. He gets brushed off the ball by FBs at the moment, I think he needs more time to adapt. 

I wonder if Silva might try Dowell.

You worry about Bernard being able to cope with the physicality and then wonder about playing the weakling that is Kieran Dowell? Fuck, you could flick him and he’d be on his arse. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I still don’t get the size argument. Silva thrives in the centre, Mata, Hazard too. Using your lower centre of gravity can be as effective as strength sometimes. 

You missed the important part of my post which was about adaptation. They *now* thrive in the centre (well Mata doesnt) but when they came into the league they werent anywhere near the players they are now. Same with Coutinho. Its a culture shock for Bernard, English football is so different and like Pep has said it is very defensive. You need to learn how to deal with people 3 big bodies around you happy to snap at your ankles, look at Jorginio and Siggy. In fact if you watch Siggy closely, look how many times he takes a kicking from a CB while he is holding them off. Given what I have seen from Bernard, he is very easily nudged off the ball from full backs let alone CBs and DMs.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You worry about Bernard being able to cope with the physicality and then wonder about playing the weakling that is Kieran Dowell? Fuck, you could flick him and he’d be on his arse. 

I thought about this but he is a lot stronger now than he was. I watched him play CM for England and he clearly stronger than the other lads his age and he has spent 12 months in the Championship. He knows what this league is all about. If he cant come in and deal with it now then it would raise serious doubts about whether he will in the future. 

I also didnt recommend him by the way, I just wondered if Silva might use him given his game time and comments last week. 

Personally Im not sure what I would do without Siggy because he plays more like a 2nd striker than a number 10. A big part of our play is his ability to cover ground, win the ball and hold off players. I think I would play one of the strikers just ahead of Richarlison especially as we are against Cardiff.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I thought about this but he is a lot stronger now than he was. I watched him play CM for England and he clearly stronger than the other lads his age and he has spent 12 months in the Championship. He knows what this league is all about. If he cant come in and deal with it now then it would raise serious doubts about whether he will in the future. 

I also didnt recommend him by the way, I just wondered if Silva might use him given his game time and comments last week. 

Personally Im not sure what I would do without Siggy because he plays more like a 2nd striker than a number 10. A big part of our play is his ability to cover ground, win the ball and hold off players. I think I would play one of the strikers just ahead of Richarlison especially as we are against Cardiff.

I think he’s still weak as fuck and needs to be much stronger before he’s even considered to play the no. 10 role. I reckon we’d be seriously hindered with him playing. 

I know you weren’t recommending him. 

Tbh I just don’t rate Dowell. Apart from a good strike with his left foot I really don’t see a player there at all. Certainly not a PL standard player. Maybe he will be waaaaay in the future but he’s nowhere near that now. If you ask me he’s at the standard of someone like Forshaw. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think he’s still weak as fuck and needs to be much stronger before he’s even considered to play the no. 10 role. I reckon we’d be seriously hindered with him playing. 

I know you weren’t recommending him. 

Tbh I just don’t rate Dowell. Apart from a good strike with his left foot I really don’t see a player there at all. Certainly not a PL standard player. Maybe he will be waaaaay in the future but he’s nowhere near that now. If you ask me he’s at the standard of someone like Forshaw. 

I do fear the same. I thought he looked really good at times in pre-season but then when the quality stepped up he stood out less and less. I havent seen the LC games but based on what I have heard, he wasnt much good in them either. 

I think he is talented and he has the quality to play in this league but I fear he is too timid.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

You missed the important part of my post which was about adaptation. They *now* thrive in the centre (well Mata doesnt) but when they came into the league they werent anywhere near the players they are now. Same with Coutinho. Its a culture shock for Bernard, English football is so different and like Pep has said it is very defensive. You need to learn how to deal with people 3 big bodies around you happy to snap at your ankles, look at Jorginio and Siggy. In fact if you watch Siggy closely, look how many times he takes a kicking from a CB while he is holding them off. Given what I have seen from Bernard, he is very easily nudged off the ball from full backs let alone CBs and DMs.

Didn't miss it at all, I just didn't comment on that part because I've mentioned it before and agree with it. I was just referring to your concern about the the physical aspect and that physicality can be countered by clever movement. I guess we're talking about the same thing though, as in you mean it'll take him time to adapt in that specific aspect? 

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Didn't miss it at all, I just didn't comment on that part because I've mentioned it before and agree with it. I was just referring to your concern about the the physical aspect and that physicality can be countered by clever movement. I guess we're talking about the same thing though, as in you mean it'll take him time to adapt in that specific aspect? 

Yeh exactly that. Siggy plays really high up the pitch, I think it was the Utd game where he was the most advanced player in the team and that means he is up against CBs fighting for balls and then in this league, more than others, even if he is the deeper man he is up against 1 or 2 DMs that are generally more well known for their attitude than skill (certainly against Cardiff). Bernie has the ability but he has to get to grips with the English game and on the assumption that Silva would want to play a similar way, I fear he would just get manhandled out of the game. I expect him to get used to it though and deal with it better than he has so far and in games where he will get more space, I would expect him to do well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figures will be skewed massively if they include free kicks and corners as we've had more than most and Siggurdsson tends to take them. To expand on Bailey's point he doesn't get on the ball enough, so his chances to pass ratio may be good but the others are probably getting on the ball more often as opposed to making less chances. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Just shows you have to watch a player rather than look at the stats. Eriksen is a class above, I'm surprised the elite clubs haven't come in for him yet whereas we'd be lucky to get Sigurdssen off our wage bill. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Just shows you have to watch a player rather than look at the stats. Eriksen is a class above, I'm surprised the elite clubs haven't come in for him yet whereas we'd be lucky to get Sigurdssen off our wage bill. 

I agree.  Seen a few spurs games this year  (keeper on my sunday league team is a fan)  and Eriksen's form has taken a slight hit this season.  Especially in the set piece delivery department.  So maybe that explains the stats? but again, I agree. Haha.

Also it is interesting that the article points out that Siggy needs a target. Eriksen has more than triple the assists.  So if Siggy had a better target would he have more? Or is it simply he isn'tt trying to find people? He does seem a bit intent on breaking his record of 11 goals in a season this year.  If he is looking to shoot then who is providing the crucial pass?

1 minute ago, plaidharper said:

I agree.  Seen a few spurs games this year  (keeper on my sunday league team is a fan)  and Eriksen's form has taken a slight hit this season.  Especially in the set piece delivery department.  So maybe that explains the stats? but again, I agree. Haha.

Also it is interesting that the article points out that Siggy needs a target. Eriksen has more than triple the assists.  So if Siggy had a better target would he have more? Or is it simply he isn'ttt trying to find people? He does seem a bit intent on breaking his record of 11 goals in a season this year.  If he is looking to shoot then who is providing the crucial pass?

From the stats Eriksen gets on the ball twice as much so in theory has twice as much opportunity to find that pass for an assist. But from watching them Eriksen is a lot sharper and tends to be a step ahead of the play whereas Sigurdssen is more reactive to the play. Both have similar pace but it's a lot rarer for people to mention it as a weakness about Eriksen other than to say that's possibly the reason he's not got a big move yet. Whereas people will mention Sigurdssen's lack of pace to be a reason he's struggles up get more involved in games. 

As such Eriksen gets the ball in more space for himself and delivers the dangerous pass faster and with a better delivery (not that Sigurdssen isn'tt too shabby at passing the ball either). Mainly the first two points help him get more assists by giving the potential scorer more space and time to get the goal. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

From the stats Eriksen gets on the ball twice as much so in theory has twice as much opportunity to find that pass for an assist. But from watching them Eriksen is a lot sharper and tends to be a step ahead of the play whereas Sigurdssen is more reactive to the play. Both have similar pace but it's a lot rarer for people to mention it as a weakness about Eriksen other than to say that's possibly the reason he's not got a big move yet. Whereas people will mention Sigurdssen's lack of pace to be a reason he's struggles up get more involved in games. 

As such Eriksen gets the ball in more space for himself and delivers the dangerous pass faster and with a better delivery (not that Sigurdssen isn'ttt too shabby at passing the ball either). Mainly the first two points help him get more assists by giving the potential scorer more space and time to get the goal. 

The fact that Eriksen gets on the ball twice as much shows the difference between the two. Technically I dont think there is too much difference but one imposes himself on the game while the other watches it drift by.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Palfy said:

He worked really hard yesterday, I think in a Silva midfield 3 all have to work hard and do their share of the closing down. 

You can see in Gylfi’s game that he is running his bollocks off and not just looking to be the play maker. 

Tbf he always runs his bollocks off. Just that he's that tad too slow to get the ball. 

I was disappointed with him yesterday. That type of game with all that space he should be excelling in. 

34 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Tbf he always runs his bollocks off. Just that he's that tad too slow to get the ball. 

I was disappointed with him yesterday. That type of game with all that space he should be excelling in. 

It’s strange how we all see things differently, I use to think he didn’t work hard enough under Koeman maybe because of different tactics, I do agree he is not the fastest but Silva has upped his work rate, or it feels that way to me even if he hasn’t. 

It would be interesting to see his stats under Koeman against his stats now. 

I think if brands was here instead of Walsh at the time I don’t think it would have been a signing he would have made. I like Gilfi but it will be interesting to see what happens with him. He will be thirty soon so will he want another big move while he can? Will brands and Marco be happy to sell him if a buyer come in? 

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It’s strange how we all see things differently, I use to think he didn’t work hard enough under Koeman maybe because of different tactics, I do agree he is not the fastest but Silva has upped his work rate, or it feels that way to me even if he hasn’t. 

It would be interesting to see his stats under Koeman against his stats now. 

It was a surprising stat that he'd covered the most ground in the prem the year before coming to us, but he was still up there under Koeman, not number one but still top 20. Think his work rate is more noticeable now as Silva has him pressing. 

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/meet-premier-leagues-marathon-men-12516993