IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

I think he’s played really well in the deeper role under Ancelotti.

Covered the most ground too being back there, I think for both game. I’m glad because I’ve always liked him, and whilst he had had a dip in form, it’s clear to see it’s tactics rather than application or ability. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s able to play those nice through balls more when he’s deeper.  It has helped.  He’s assisted or hockey assisted a goal already.  He was too far forward to create before.

If we're looking for someone to play a killer through ball Iwobi has to be that person we rely on, Sigurdsson offers very little when he's not scoring. 

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

If we're looking for someone to play a killer through ball Iwobi has to be that person we rely on, Sigurdsson offers very little when he's not scoring. 

This is where Sigurdsson doesn’t get the respect he deserves. His closing down, ground covered and interceptions are a massive part of his game add to that his crossing from deep and set pieces then he offers loads. I like Iwobi but only as a number 10 - where I prefer him to Gylfi but in a deeper role, Iwobi doesn’t have the skills I’ve mentioned here.

39 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This is where Sigurdsson doesn’t get the respect he deserves. His closing down, ground covered and interceptions are a massive part of his game add to that his crossing from deep and set pieces then he offers loads. I like Iwobi but only as a number 10 - where I prefer him to Gylfi but in a deeper role, Iwobi doesn’t have the skills I’ve mentioned here.

He had a good work rate and never stopped running under Silva but him not being very good at closing played a big part in the system not working. He's just illsuited to it as Sigurdssen is reactive and slow at covering the short yards. If he read the play better he'd be able to block the pass and not have to chase people's tails as much. 

Agree he's a good crosser though. Why I was saying we should use him on the wing. 

I love Gylfi, he’s as much a toffee as anyone on here but since he’s been at the club he’s never been played in a position that really suited him and now I think he’s been overtaken by events. There are better players than him in every attacking position and although he’s a trier he’s just not cut out as a defensive or deeper midfielder which is where he’s played recently. What’s worse is that his dead ball play - which is supposed to be his strength - has evaporated. I’m sick of all those limp floated free kicks and corners. Unless Ancelotti can find a role to wring out his talents and restore his confidence his time is going to be limited. A shame because I love the bloke and at his best, which we’ve never seen here, he’s the type of player who you could build a side round and dominate games. Trust Everton to buy him and then try to slot him in here or there.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought he was sublime for us when we dominated for the first 15-20mins. He was really pulling the strings and making us tick. Once Newcastle woke up and came into the game it was more his work rate that was evident. But a very good all round game from him yesterday.

I agree when we played football on the deck we dominated, and Siggy played really well. When we let Newcastle turn the game into kick and rush he was out of his comfort zone and couldnt help us wrestle control back. That's the dilemma he is great at certain elements of many roles but has weakness that make him flawed. 

11 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I agree, he’s too slow to affect games in the final third. He’s better in a deeper role where he can dictate the play 

Ever since he arrived at Eerton when he was put in a deeper role fans moaned about it saying his natural positon was behidn the striker.

I dont think he's good enough in any position in the squad and needs replacing.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

He is not good enough to wear the shirt, he won’t be playing for us next season there is not a role in the team where he shines, we need to anyone of our injured MFs back to get him out the team or better still 2 to get him out the squad.

I'd replace him before any other player tbh. His role in the team is that important.

He done. Simply put.

Put a good set piece in but if we wanted someone to do fuck all in the centre circle and a whip a dead ball in or 2 each game I’m sure Charlie Adam would be glad to do it for a 10th of what this guy is on.

How anyone can remotely think he’s an option still is beyond me. There’s this unbelievable myth that follows Gylfi that he is this technical maestro - commentators and fans of other teams seem to always say it, that he can pick a pass or unlock a defence. Open play he’s technically wank, under hit passes and loose touches. He’s so slow he has to use everyone ounce of skill just to retain the ball. 

No idea what club would be mad enough to offer money to us for him let alone offer the 6 figure weekly salary I’m sure he thinks he’s worth.

Nice guy I’m sure but needs to be shown the door.

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

He done. Simply put.

Put a good set piece in but if we wanted someone to do fuck all in the centre circle and a whip a dead ball in or 2 each game I’m sure Charlie Adam would be glad to do it for a 10th of what this guy is on.

How anyone can remotely think he’s an option still is beyond me. There’s this unbelievable myth that follows Gylfi that he is this technical maestro - commentators and fans of other teams seem to always say it, that he can pick a pass or unlock a defence. Open play he’s technically wank, under hit passes and loose touches. He’s so slow he has to use everyone ounce of skill just to retain the ball. 

No idea what club would be mad enough to offer money to us for him let alone offer the 6 figure weekly salary I’m sure he thinks he’s worth.

Nice guy I’m sure but needs to be shown the door.

There's one that needs to go before him - Schneiderlein. Fuckin disgrace.

Put it this is way - we'll get rid of Gylfi before Schneiderlein simply because clubs will want to take Gylfi.

On 29/12/2019 at 08:26, c1982 said:

He’s been woeful since I posted this. He, like so many of our players, is mentally weak. A player of his ability should have played at the very top. Look at him for Swansea and Iceland - incredible player at times when he single handedly took them beyond reasonable expectations but completely different player at Spurs and now looking the same at us - despite the odd decent performance. I put this down to mentality in some parts. Henderson at that lot is a good example - limited footballer but his drive and determination makes him an important part of winning teams. I don’t see this in many of our ‘nice guys’.

His “best before date” seems to have come and gone very quickly, hasn’t done a thing of note this season apart from a good goal against West Ham, and we have been relying on him to run our midfield, hasn’t happened and doesn’t look like it ever will again, time to sell or use as sub for last few minutes if we’re winning if we can’t offload him in the window.

On a side note, I don’t really understand how any professional footballer can’t put in a good ball from a free kick or corner, the ball is static and there’s no one pressing them, all pro golfers and most low handicappers can hit a target zone time after time.

I honestly don't know why anyone is surprised by yesterday's cowardly display, it's Gylfi the majority of the time. He doesn't create, he's slow as shit, hides, gets the runaround from people on zimmerframes.

He should have been able to run that game yesterday against a bunch of raw kids, and been able to put his stamp on things. Instead he hid, looked like a donkey whenever he actually got himself on the ball, and was embarrassed when they had the ball. His performance was summed up by getting subbed for a defensive midfielder who is also very fucking shit.

I'm glad he played like that though because now Ancelotti will have his number and even if we can't get rid of the useless shitehawk he hopefully won't be picked.