Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Gylfi Sigurðsson

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If I’m honest, I don’t follow Iceland religiously, as I’m sure you can imagine. But whenever I’ve seen him, playing off the striker, albeit quite deep, his energy and precision through the centre has been the stand out quality. The lad has always had it, he just needs the ball played to him quick and someone capable of finishing (not to mention she can finish)

She? I knew those icy blue eyes where to good to be true!!

'Why is Sigurdsson still struggling?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11495309

Not great reading for Sigurdsson!

I don't think he's played that many games as the number 10 behind the striker. Playing out wide would have certainly damaged his stats. He needs a consistent run of games in his correct position and needs to get used to the other players movements around him. He really needs to step up now, justify his price tag and prove his critics wrong.

1 hour ago, Swarzy said:

'Why is Sigurdsson still struggling?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11495309

Not great reading for Sigurdsson!

I don't think he's played that many games as the number 10 behind the striker. Playing out wide would have certainly damaged his stats. He needs a consistent run of games in his correct position and needs to get used to the other players movements around him. He really needs to step up now, justify his price tag and prove his critics wrong.

Him doing next to nothing from open play has always been my concern with him, right from when we were first linked with him. That worry certainly hasn't gone away and not likely to. It's not like he's a kid still learning, what you see is what you get at this point.

I just dont think he is a player that will raise his level above that of the team. If the team play well, he is likely to be a big part of it but if the team play crap he usually isnt involved.

He never was and never will be a £50mil player but at the same time that doesnt mean he isnt a very good player. With Richarlison you can easily imagine the team playing crap but him causing problems but you dont get that with Siggy.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I just dont think he is a player that will raise his level above that of the team. If the team play well, he is likely to be a big part of it but if the team play crap he usually isnt involved.

He never was and never will be a £50mil player but at the same time that doesnt mean he isnt a very good player. With Richarlison you can easily imagine the team playing crap but him causing problems but you dont get that with Siggy.

Couldn't agree more with this, from what we've seen, it would be a bonus if he could change and starting being more of a leader for us on the pitch when we need it.

For me Gylfi is our best midfielder at the moment but he's on his own he's the only one with a goal in him Gana Tom and Morgan just don't score sad to say but we are missing Rooney's goals.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/09/20/nevin-on-sigurdsson

He has to get on the ball more for this to be a reality. For me, he hides too much.

I thought he was hiding a lot against West Ham after they scored. I hate to say that about a player too, but there were times Morgan and Gana had the ball and he was stood behind a defender instead of looking for the pass. Was very disappointed in him. Play him next to Morgan and see what happens. 

Lots of flak gets thrown at Gana, Davies and Schneiderlin (yes from me) on this forum. Sigurdsson didn't look worth half his £45m price tag on Sunday. In danger of becoming yet another very expensive mistake. 

13 minutes ago, nogs said:

Lots of flak gets thrown at Gana, Davies and Schneiderlin (yes from me) on this forum. Sigurdsson didn't look worth half his £45m price tag on Sunday. In danger of becoming yet another very expensive mistake. 

big gylfi fan here and yet i agree with you, to be honest i'm just not sure he is the right fit for the style of play Marco wants.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

I'd agree with you on that, I don't think we've ever seen him turn in a brilliant performance yet, granted last season was a disaster, but he really needs to step up his game soon IMO

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

big gylfi fan here and yet i agree with you, to be honest i'm just not sure he is the right fit for the style of play Marco wants.

Spot on I can't see how he will fit into the system and can see him being sold this summer. Especially if Silva moves Bernard into a central role.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't think about the price tag. Everyone knows it was massively inflated and not a true representation of his value, so it's even more irrelevant than normal to use it in criticism of a player

i'm not, i just don't think he fits Marco's system regardless of price.  i think Marco wants more pace, like he has on the wings and with the fullbacks and when he plays DCL with the forward.  Gylfi is the weak link there (regarding speed/acceleration).  Even the CM have pace in davies and gana.  but maybe i don't know how Silva wants to play, who knows.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't think about the price tag. Everyone knows it was massively inflated and not a true representation of his value, so it's even more irrelevant than normal to use it in criticism of a player

Perfectly valid to criticise the club for paying it though.

15 hours ago, nogs said:

Perfectly valid to criticise the club for paying it though.

Absolutely. 

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm not, i just don't think he fits Marco's system regardless of price.  i think Marco wants more pace, like he has on the wings and with the fullbacks and when he plays DCL with the forward.  Gylfi is the weak link there (regarding speed/acceleration).  Even the CM have pace in davies and gana.  but maybe i don't know how Silva wants to play, who knows.

I know mate, I just keep seeing it mentioned and it sometimes seems an criticism against him is all I was getting at. 

He needs to be played further back with some free reign 

Prior to coming here he was top of the pile for distance covered and making runs in many games and he can't do that here with the system we use and the players we have it's far to tight further up for us than he's previously had it  

He covers distance makes runs and can play the ball as well as anyone given the space and scores the vast majority of his goals running the ball to the edge of the box 

I'd try him centrally and get him to pick the ball up from Gana and go from there, he's more positive and has more about his game than both Davies and Morgan 

6 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

He needs to be played further back with some free reign 

Prior to coming here he was top of the pile for distance covered and making runs in many games and he can't do that here with the system we use and the players we have it's far to tight further up for us than he's previously had it  

He covers distance makes runs and can play the ball as well as anyone given the space and scores the vast majority of his goals running the ball to the edge of the box 

I'd try him centrally and get him to pick the ball up from Gana and go from there, he's more positive and has more about his game than both Davies and Morgan 

It’s worth ago, as currently we are not utilising him at all. 

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It'll be all good and well playing him deeper to utilise him but I think the bigger problem is him utilising himself.

I also agree with that though he does need to step up to the plate far more often, if he's given a slightly different role and still does that for the most part then it will be very telling 

"The playmaker also made an incredible five key passes throughout the match - which becomes an even more surprising number given the fact the Icelandic international only attempted 24 passes in general during the 90 minutes. "

Taken from the Echo piece that Dunc posted in the Gana thread.

This line sums up my issue with Gylfi and what I have said about his performances in recent weeks. When he does get on the ball he is using it well and he is being productive but a playmaker only making 24 passes in a home game against a newly promoted side is too low. In comparison, Siggy has made on average 21.43 passes per game this season and yet Maddison has made 43.29. Maddison has also had 1 more shot and been more accurate with them (Siggy has scored from all 3 shots on target).

Too much negativity on here regarding Siggy that's because he cost 45m that's not his fault but he is easily the best midfielder and most productive we have and this year he is fitter I said a few weeks ago he needs quality with him. 

I see he praised Bernard for his quality that's what we need. 

32 minutes ago, patto said:

Too much negativity on here regarding Siggy that's because he cost 45m that's not his fault but he is easily the best midfielder and most productive we have and this year he is fitter I said a few weeks ago he needs quality with him. 

I see he praised Bernard for his quality that's what we need. 

Think it's more that he's never on the ball and stats show he makes very little from open play. Part the blame should go on the two behind him in midfield for not finding him more but he's more reactive than pro active in his runs so has to saddle some flak. 

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

By lead the others I don't mean in a Roy Keane way. I mean he's supposed to be the conductor of the team as the no. 10, he gets the rest playing to his tune. That's what he was brought in for.

Like I say, I don't feel he does it often enough and actually hides during games. That's where my frustration lies with him, nothing to do with how much he cost.

On 01/10/2018 at 09:40, Romey 1878 said:

Completely agree.

There is no doubt that he has quality and when he gets on the ball he will show it more often than not but he just doesnt get on the ball enough. Whether that is due to the player or due to the tactics is open for debate.

13 hours ago, Paddock said:

That’s what he’s capable of. What a fucking goal- sent the Maddison for the Echo and bang. Quality goal.

I wonder if maddison went out last night giving it the big one?  "Do you know who I am"...... 

"Errr.  Are you that prick that got sent to Scotland by gylfi this afternoon? You got back quick"

I think it was noticeable how much more involved he was yeterday. I dont know whether that is to do with playing alongside Richarlison or whether it was down to Leicester being poor at the back but long may it continue!

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

No, but brands knows Lozano well. he’s been playing RW this season and racking up goals and assists.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

What makes you think Theo is the weak link?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

What makes you think Theo is the weak link?

His selfishness.  Had a wide open Bernard and wide open richarlison on two breakaways, he kept it on both and muffed it.  They were both wife open on goal.  As I mentioned in the Theo thread he’s too selfish.  

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

His selfishness.  Had a wide open Bernard and wide open richarlison on two breakaways, he kept it on both and muffed it.  They were both wife open on goal.  As I mentioned in the Theo thread he’s too selfish.  

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

I really don’t see the issue with Theo at all. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

the one centre half he had to beat positioned himself 6 yards ahead of him in direct line with the goal....  tosun was completely unmarked, onside and effectively one on one with a keeper.   If he tried to do anything other than pass to Cenk it would have been the most ridiculous selfish decision I've seen. Not passing was not an option and probably would have got him subbed

His decision to make the pass that he did was 1. It was just awful. A bad pass.

2. He actually expected Cenk to step back and play a return pass and play him through.... the only way he could have thought that was a good idea is if he thought a player was marking Cenk. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He expected.... wow! Haf can read minds now. I wonder if you can read what I’m thinking?

I can read your mind no better than you can read my posts. 

The clue in my post is that the pass was down to one of two things .... 1. It was just a bad pass. 2. He intended to pass it where he did to give the angle for a give and go and get a return pass 

If you can think of any alternative permutations to how his mind could have been working then feel free.  It doesn't however change the outcome. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

i was just going to type up the same thing.  age and effort show why it's ok for richarlison and not walcott.