6 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

He needs to be played further back with some free reign 

Prior to coming here he was top of the pile for distance covered and making runs in many games and he can't do that here with the system we use and the players we have it's far to tight further up for us than he's previously had it  

He covers distance makes runs and can play the ball as well as anyone given the space and scores the vast majority of his goals running the ball to the edge of the box 

I'd try him centrally and get him to pick the ball up from Gana and go from there, he's more positive and has more about his game than both Davies and Morgan 

It’s worth ago, as currently we are not utilising him at all. 

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It'll be all good and well playing him deeper to utilise him but I think the bigger problem is him utilising himself.

I also agree with that though he does need to step up to the plate far more often, if he's given a slightly different role and still does that for the most part then it will be very telling 

"The playmaker also made an incredible five key passes throughout the match - which becomes an even more surprising number given the fact the Icelandic international only attempted 24 passes in general during the 90 minutes. "

Taken from the Echo piece that Dunc posted in the Gana thread.

This line sums up my issue with Gylfi and what I have said about his performances in recent weeks. When he does get on the ball he is using it well and he is being productive but a playmaker only making 24 passes in a home game against a newly promoted side is too low. In comparison, Siggy has made on average 21.43 passes per game this season and yet Maddison has made 43.29. Maddison has also had 1 more shot and been more accurate with them (Siggy has scored from all 3 shots on target).

Too much negativity on here regarding Siggy that's because he cost 45m that's not his fault but he is easily the best midfielder and most productive we have and this year he is fitter I said a few weeks ago he needs quality with him. 

I see he praised Bernard for his quality that's what we need. 

32 minutes ago, patto said:

Too much negativity on here regarding Siggy that's because he cost 45m that's not his fault but he is easily the best midfielder and most productive we have and this year he is fitter I said a few weeks ago he needs quality with him. 

I see he praised Bernard for his quality that's what we need. 

Think it's more that he's never on the ball and stats show he makes very little from open play. Part the blame should go on the two behind him in midfield for not finding him more but he's more reactive than pro active in his runs so has to saddle some flak. 

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

By lead the others I don't mean in a Roy Keane way. I mean he's supposed to be the conductor of the team as the no. 10, he gets the rest playing to his tune. That's what he was brought in for.

Like I say, I don't feel he does it often enough and actually hides during games. That's where my frustration lies with him, nothing to do with how much he cost.

On 01/10/2018 at 09:40, Romey 1878 said:

Completely agree.

There is no doubt that he has quality and when he gets on the ball he will show it more often than not but he just doesnt get on the ball enough. Whether that is due to the player or due to the tactics is open for debate.

13 hours ago, Paddock said:

That’s what he’s capable of. What a fucking goal- sent the Maddison for the Echo and bang. Quality goal.

I wonder if maddison went out last night giving it the big one?  "Do you know who I am"...... 

"Errr.  Are you that prick that got sent to Scotland by gylfi this afternoon? You got back quick"

I think it was noticeable how much more involved he was yeterday. I dont know whether that is to do with playing alongside Richarlison or whether it was down to Leicester being poor at the back but long may it continue!

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

No, but brands knows Lozano well. he’s been playing RW this season and racking up goals and assists.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

What makes you think Theo is the weak link?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

What makes you think Theo is the weak link?

His selfishness.  Had a wide open Bernard and wide open richarlison on two breakaways, he kept it on both and muffed it.  They were both wife open on goal.  As I mentioned in the Theo thread he’s too selfish.  

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

His selfishness.  Had a wide open Bernard and wide open richarlison on two breakaways, he kept it on both and muffed it.  They were both wife open on goal.  As I mentioned in the Theo thread he’s too selfish.  

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

I really don’t see the issue with Theo at all. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

the one centre half he had to beat positioned himself 6 yards ahead of him in direct line with the goal....  tosun was completely unmarked, onside and effectively one on one with a keeper.   If he tried to do anything other than pass to Cenk it would have been the most ridiculous selfish decision I've seen. Not passing was not an option and probably would have got him subbed

His decision to make the pass that he did was 1. It was just awful. A bad pass.

2. He actually expected Cenk to step back and play a return pass and play him through.... the only way he could have thought that was a good idea is if he thought a player was marking Cenk. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He expected.... wow! Haf can read minds now. I wonder if you can read what I’m thinking?

I can read your mind no better than you can read my posts. 

The clue in my post is that the pass was down to one of two things .... 1. It was just a bad pass. 2. He intended to pass it where he did to give the angle for a give and go and get a return pass 

If you can think of any alternative permutations to how his mind could have been working then feel free.  It doesn't however change the outcome. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

i was just going to type up the same thing.  age and effort show why it's ok for richarlison and not walcott.

https://www.football365.com/news/top-ten-best-premier-league-tactical-decisions-this-season

This put a smile on my face

6) Everton’s faith in Sigurdsson as a No. 10
“For me, Gylfi has been trudging away outside on the left side, so play him in the position he wants to play and see what he can do,” said Sam Allardyce last season. But while Allardyce could see there was a clear and obvious problem, he lacked the patience to fix it with the clear and obvious solution: Play Sigurdsson consistently as a No. 10. Marco Silva showed no such hesitation and Sigurdsson is finally thriving in a medium-sized pond.

Sigurdsson’s productivity has been astonishing. He sits alongside David Silva and Willian – and ahead of Eden Hazard – in a list of Premier League players who have created the most chances this season. He may have become one-third of a punchline about Ronald Koeman’s penchant for slow No. 10s last season, but who needs pace when you have Richarlison to your left and Theo Walcott to your right? The square peg is in the square hole and the round pegs are rather happy about the service.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Maybe Bernard will get a run in the number ten position?

Im not sure. I would be very worried about his size in physical games up against CBs and DMs. He gets brushed off the ball by FBs at the moment, I think he needs more time to adapt. 

I wonder if Silva might try Dowell.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Im not sure. I would be very worried about his size in physical games up against CBs and DMs. He gets brushed off the ball by FBs at the moment, I think he needs more time to adapt. 

I still don’t get the size argument. Silva thrives in the centre, Mata, Hazard too. Using your lower centre of gravity can be as effective as strength sometimes. 

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

I still don’t get the size argument. Silva thrives in the centre, Mata, Hazard too. Using your lower centre of gravity can be as effective as strength sometimes. 

so did inchy 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

You worry about Bernard being able to cope with the physicality and then wonder about playing the weakling that is Kieran Dowell? Fuck, you could flick him and he’d be on his arse. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

You missed the important part of my post which was about adaptation. They *now* thrive in the centre (well Mata doesnt) but when they came into the league they werent anywhere near the players they are now. Same with Coutinho. Its a culture shock for Bernard, English football is so different and like Pep has said it is very defensive. You need to learn how to deal with people 3 big bodies around you happy to snap at your ankles, look at Jorginio and Siggy. In fact if you watch Siggy closely, look how many times he takes a kicking from a CB while he is holding them off. Given what I have seen from Bernard, he is very easily nudged off the ball from full backs let alone CBs and DMs.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You worry about Bernard being able to cope with the physicality and then wonder about playing the weakling that is Kieran Dowell? Fuck, you could flick him and he’d be on his arse. 

I thought about this but he is a lot stronger now than he was. I watched him play CM for England and he clearly stronger than the other lads his age and he has spent 12 months in the Championship. He knows what this league is all about. If he cant come in and deal with it now then it would raise serious doubts about whether he will in the future. 

I also didnt recommend him by the way, I just wondered if Silva might use him given his game time and comments last week. 

Personally Im not sure what I would do without Siggy because he plays more like a 2nd striker than a number 10. A big part of our play is his ability to cover ground, win the ball and hold off players. I think I would play one of the strikers just ahead of Richarlison especially as we are against Cardiff.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I thought about this but he is a lot stronger now than he was. I watched him play CM for England and he clearly stronger than the other lads his age and he has spent 12 months in the Championship. He knows what this league is all about. If he cant come in and deal with it now then it would raise serious doubts about whether he will in the future. 

I also didnt recommend him by the way, I just wondered if Silva might use him given his game time and comments last week. 

Personally Im not sure what I would do without Siggy because he plays more like a 2nd striker than a number 10. A big part of our play is his ability to cover ground, win the ball and hold off players. I think I would play one of the strikers just ahead of Richarlison especially as we are against Cardiff.

I think he’s still weak as fuck and needs to be much stronger before he’s even considered to play the no. 10 role. I reckon we’d be seriously hindered with him playing. 

I know you weren’t recommending him. 

Tbh I just don’t rate Dowell. Apart from a good strike with his left foot I really don’t see a player there at all. Certainly not a PL standard player. Maybe he will be waaaaay in the future but he’s nowhere near that now. If you ask me he’s at the standard of someone like Forshaw. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think he’s still weak as fuck and needs to be much stronger before he’s even considered to play the no. 10 role. I reckon we’d be seriously hindered with him playing. 

I know you weren’t recommending him. 

Tbh I just don’t rate Dowell. Apart from a good strike with his left foot I really don’t see a player there at all. Certainly not a PL standard player. Maybe he will be waaaaay in the future but he’s nowhere near that now. If you ask me he’s at the standard of someone like Forshaw. 

I do fear the same. I thought he looked really good at times in pre-season but then when the quality stepped up he stood out less and less. I havent seen the LC games but based on what I have heard, he wasnt much good in them either. 

I think he is talented and he has the quality to play in this league but I fear he is too timid.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

You missed the important part of my post which was about adaptation. They *now* thrive in the centre (well Mata doesnt) but when they came into the league they werent anywhere near the players they are now. Same with Coutinho. Its a culture shock for Bernard, English football is so different and like Pep has said it is very defensive. You need to learn how to deal with people 3 big bodies around you happy to snap at your ankles, look at Jorginio and Siggy. In fact if you watch Siggy closely, look how many times he takes a kicking from a CB while he is holding them off. Given what I have seen from Bernard, he is very easily nudged off the ball from full backs let alone CBs and DMs.

Didn't miss it at all, I just didn't comment on that part because I've mentioned it before and agree with it. I was just referring to your concern about the the physical aspect and that physicality can be countered by clever movement. I guess we're talking about the same thing though, as in you mean it'll take him time to adapt in that specific aspect? 

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Didn't miss it at all, I just didn't comment on that part because I've mentioned it before and agree with it. I was just referring to your concern about the the physical aspect and that physicality can be countered by clever movement. I guess we're talking about the same thing though, as in you mean it'll take him time to adapt in that specific aspect? 

Yeh exactly that. Siggy plays really high up the pitch, I think it was the Utd game where he was the most advanced player in the team and that means he is up against CBs fighting for balls and then in this league, more than others, even if he is the deeper man he is up against 1 or 2 DMs that are generally more well known for their attitude than skill (certainly against Cardiff). Bernie has the ability but he has to get to grips with the English game and on the assumption that Silva would want to play a similar way, I fear he would just get manhandled out of the game. I expect him to get used to it though and deal with it better than he has so far and in games where he will get more space, I would expect him to do well.

Figures will be skewed massively if they include free kicks and corners as we've had more than most and Siggurdsson tends to take them. To expand on Bailey's point he doesn't get on the ball enough, so his chances to pass ratio may be good but the others are probably getting on the ball more often as opposed to making less chances.