IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

Respectfully, I strongly disagree with your assessment. For one, we have bid 40m+ which is considerably more than Everton have ever bid for any player. This alone should prove we are willing to splash the cash. The idea that because we have significantly more money we should just pay whatever clubs want is a bit misguided in my opinion. If we get a reputation for being a club who is weak in negotiation we would regularly be taken advantage of. It can be frustrating to not get a player because of a few million but those millions we save are going to add up and help improve the club in the long run. Almost everyone agrees that Sig is being priced too high so I don't quite get the criticism when our management agrees and tries to get a better deal.

Either you misunderstood my point or I did a terrible job of making it.. I'm very much in favor of us holding the line at 40m. I like Siggy a lot, and I think he'd help solidify what is currently an unproven group of options going forward, but 40m is already a hell of a fee for him.

My point about the lack of spending stands though. We haven't splurged any cash whatsoever, and we have three glaring holes that we need filled. Either this saga is about far more than 5m, or we're legitimately dragging this out over 5m. I'm leaning towards the former, but if it's the latter then I don't think it makes mumch of a case for us being big spenders.

After paying 30 million for Pickford I don't think it'll be us being the awkward ones.

We paid 30m for pickford (as well as the fee for klaasen) knowing full well that the Lukaku sale would cover all of it.

Koeman took a shot at the money for a reason - I don't think we're ready to splash the cash the way that we've postured.

Either you misunderstood my point or I did a terrible job of making it.. I'm very much in favor of us holding the line at 40m. I like Siggy a lot, and I think he'd help solidify what is currently an unproven group of options going forward, but 40m is already a hell of a fee for him.

My point about the lack of spending stands though. We haven't splurged any cash whatsoever, and we have three glaring holes that we need filled. Either this saga is about far more than 5m, or we're legitimately dragging this out over 5m. I'm leaning towards the former, but if it's the latter then I don't think it makes mumch of a case for us being big spenders.

You're right that we've not splashed more cash than we have, but I have no problem with that? Too many teams spend beyond their means. We appear to have spent well. Plus, the real investment, and longer term investment, in the team is a new stadium. That will put us on a much stronger financial foundation, and that will really bolster spending in future years.

Normally we make those bids on deadline day and Bill comes out the next day with a "we almost had him"... a bit like Sissoko!

That was under his tenure when we had absolutly no money whatsoever, under Moshiri we should (in theory) be getting our targets as we have been told the manager has money to spend. If Bill starts coming out with that nonsense again i can see some of the fans not being too happy tbh.

Edited by Simon

I think koeman will be fuming this deal is not done. We all know our first six games are killers and we need to fill the goals lost by lukaku. Gilfi will not be fully fit until he plays a few games when he could have been up and running. I just think with the tracks we made at the start knowing the price we should have just paid it as a signal of intent.

I think koeman will be fuming this deal is not done. We all know our first six games are killers and we need to fill the goals lost by lukaku. Gilfi will not be fully fit until he plays a few games when he could have been up and running. I just think with the tracks we made at the start knowing the price we should have just paid it as a signal of intent.

What intent would that signal though? Our intent to have our pants pulled down by every selling club?

What intent would that signal though? Our intent to have our pants pulled down by every selling club?

Exactly.

It's a tough market at the moment. Prices are daft. You openly pay OTT for one player from a club, you can guarantee the next player you target will be the same.

I'm sure Koeman understands this.

We paid the asking price for Keane and Pickford without argument. Both are good players with great potential, but Keane was on his last 12 months and Pickford was going to the Championship, if we wanted to drag them on for weeks we probably could have but it was more important (obviously) to get them done early than faffing around.

While I don't want us to get dudded, at the same time we are playing 5 games in 15 days, 2 of those being against City and Chelsea away and wedging a trip to Croatia between them. The player hasn't played a minute of pre-season football. If we had wrapped this up weeks ago he could have been up to speed and gelling with the squad. The friendlies and Europa qualifiers showed our attack is probably the weakest area of the squad at the moment.

Edited by Sparks FC

Exactly.

It's a tough market at the moment. Prices are daft. You openly pay OTT for one player from a club, you can guarantee the next player you target will be the same.

I'm sure Koeman understands this.

I think that moment has long gone. We have paid big money for others answer made a big money offer too. We have also received a fair wedge so teams will hold out for more. You have to balance whether a couple of extra mil is Worth the potential disruption to the start of the season.

We paid the asking price for Keane and Pickford without argument. Both are good players with great potential, but Keane was on his last 12 months and Pickford was going to the Championship, if we wanted to drag them on for weeks we probably could have but it was more important (obviously) to get them done early than faffing around.

While I don't want us to get dudded, at the same time we are playing 5 games in 15 days, 2 of those being against City and Chelsea away and wedging a trip to Croatia between them. The player hasn't played a minute of pre-season football. If we had wrapped this up weeks ago he could have been up to speed and gelling with the squad. The friendlies and Europa qualifiers showed our attack is probably the weakest area of the squad at the moment.

He has played a preseason game but that's by the by.

We may well have paid slightly over the odds for Keane and Pickford but they are both young England internationals who we could get another 10 years out of

Sigurdsson is a quality player but we would be lucky to get 4 seasons out of him and we have already offered way over the odds for him

For what it's worth I think we will still get him and I think Swansea will get close to their asking price , but it will come at a cost to them because it will be too late in the window for them to reinvest

For every Evertonian saying just pay the extra £5m I bet there is a Swansea fan saying just accept the £45m so that they can bring their own players in

That's exactly what they are saying on their forums.

Yes because it's important for everyone to get players training and into the squad.

Everyone thinks that overpaying once means teams will force us to overpay forever. The market is the market. Strike a hard bargain in January. We have an incredibly tough stretch coming now. Get your players in, get your squad ready, and don't ruin European football in the first three weeks of the season,

Edited by Matt Tiger

Yes because it's important for everyone to get players training and into the squad.

Everyone thinks that overpaying once means teams will force us to overpay forever. The market is the market. Strike a hard bargain in January. We have an incredibly tough stretch coming now. Get your players in, get your squad ready, and don't ruin European football in the first three weeks of the season,

You tend to pay even more in January.

without him Swansea will struggle to stay in the league, so I see why they want as much as they can, but he will have little resale value so our board is right to set a maximum limit and I'm sure there are other players as good out there for the same or less money, just may not have the same premier league experience. Another striker definitely should be the priority