Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Gylfi Sigurðsson

5 minutes ago, Vranny said:

He certainly played out wide on the right a lot more. He and Richarlison kept swapping positions to get him more involved in the game. While his crossing out there is quality, I doubt he’d be getting the same amount of time and space against premier league level full-backs though. 

He doesn’t need time or space to do something incredible though - ask Maddison from Leicester! Just get on the ball more and make things happen.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I don’t think he’s the whipping boy I just think he deserves Critism just like everybody else. As our most expensive player he has needed to do more and create more. On Sunday he did that. Was it the change in formation that allowed him to get into those pockets out wide? Was it the Iwobi and kean? Or maybe was it due to the new players he now knows he’s not guaranteed a game ever week? 

Maybe a mix of all three, whatever long may it continue👍

On 06/09/2019 at 03:39, Finn balor said:

I don’t think he’s the whipping boy I just think he deserves Critism just like everybody else. As our most expensive player he has needed to do more and create more. On Sunday he did that. Was it the change in formation that allowed him to get into those pockets out wide? Was it the Iwobi and kean? Or maybe was it due to the new players he now knows he’s not guaranteed a game ever week? 

It was definitely a ploy to get him into the wide right area as we now have an aerial threat in Iwobi from the left. Put him against a short full back and he'll win it every time.

It's under rated to have a winger who can come in and head the ball. We have two now.

just a thought if we really are truly moving on from gylfi, you have to think Brands is going to try and offload him this winter or upcoming summer.  He's 30 and still has a lot of playing left in him.  I'd imagine we could get back 20m or so and at least not be stuck with the massive wages.  otherwise it becomes another run down former asset that is counting down till contract end date.  thoughts?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

just a thought if we really are truly moving on from gylfi, you have to think Brands is going to try and offload him this winter or upcoming summer.  He's 30 and still has a lot of playing left in him.  I'd imagine we could get back 20m or so and at least not be stuck with the massive wages.  otherwise it becomes another run down former asset that is counting down till contract end date.  thoughts?

Are we though or is it just fans who think he’s not working out for us? I’d rather keep him, even playing from the bench a super sub who could get 10 goals a season is worth more than £20m plus wages IMO

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

Are we though or is it just fans who think he’s not working out for us? I’d rather keep him, even playing from the bench a super sub who could get 10 goals a season is worth more than £20m plus wages IMO

i totally get that and i love gylfi.  i'm just thinking more balance sheet Brands type thinking, large asset on the bench, woulnd't it make more sense if he stays on the bench this year to move him on and get something back and invest in players that will work for us and start or be younger and be cheaper and grow into a valuable asset.  that's where i'm coming from line of thinking, not saying i agree with it, just i wonder if Brands is pondering a sale soon because of it.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

As far as January is concerned, no way. We will need bodies the rest of this season, even though Id expect us to sign some cover in midfield now, even with Gbamin due back. 

As for next summer... Yeah I'd sell. The great things he does are great but he's a luxury player imo, and we can't carry one of those if we want to get out of the rut we're in. 

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

With Gomes and Gbamin out I think he has to now play deeper in a 3 with Davies and Delph, keeping Schneiderlin on the bench.

i don't think it will happen.  morgan will be the busquets sitter, davies and gylfi/iwobi the more advanced mids in the 3.

47 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't think it will happen.  morgan will be the busquets sitter, davies and gylfi/iwobi the more advanced mids in the 3.

It will depend how he wants to go. If you play with one DM you don't play with a 10 so that would rule out Iwobi in that role IMO but he may go back to two DMs and have Davies and Delph sitting with one of Siggy or Iwobi ahead. 

He could go with Morgan deepest with Delph and Davies ahead but I don't think Delph has the legs for it. Plus it's probably the least creative midfield we could put out. 

I thought the 3 we had against Spurs worked well even if it didn't really ignite. It looked as though they were building into the game when the injury occured and I don't see any reason why Siggy can't play the same type of role as Gomes in a 3 (I wouldn't want to see him in a 2). I would actually go as far as to say that if Siggy does actually want to continue his career in the Premier League then that is a role he needs to learn and learn quickly because there aren't many teams that facilitate an out and out 10 these days.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

It will depend how he wants to go. If you play with one DM you don't play with a 10 so that would rule out Iwobi in that role IMO but he may go back to two DMs and have Davies and Delph sitting with one of Siggy or Iwobi ahead. 

He could go with Morgan deepest with Delph and Davies ahead but I don't think Delph has the legs for it. Plus it's probably the least creative midfield we could put out. 

I thought the 3 we had against Spurs worked well even if it didn't really ignite. It looked as though they were building into the game when the injury occured and I don't see any reason why Siggy can't play the same type of role as Gomes in a 3 (I wouldn't want to see him in a 2). I would actually go as far as to say that if Siggy does actually want to continue his career in the Premier League then that is a role he needs to learn and learn quickly because there aren't many teams that facilitate an out and out 10 these days.

Yep, I think Gylfi for Gomes will be what Marco goes for. Against Southampton and Norwich though I’d seriously considers Iwobi in the midfield 3 ( flat not as a 10 ). 

I don't even want to see this idiot on the bench. He offers nothing. Fuck all. He's not even good at chasing his own bastard shadow, never mind the shadows of the opposition. Our captain last night and I didn't even know he was on the pitch until just before half time! Davies was no great shakes next to him but Sigurdsson hung the lad out to dry and how he wasn't substituted at some point during the game is a fucking mystery.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't even want to see this idiot on the bench. He offers nothing. Fuck all. He's not even good at chasing his own bastard shadow, never mind the shadows of the opposition. Our captain last night and I didn't even know he was on the pitch until just before half time! Davies was no great shakes next to him but Sigurdsson hung the lad out to dry and how he wasn't substituted at some point during the game is a fucking mystery. 

Now come on Mark say what you really mean. 😊

Has been woeful lately, can't believe we still wanted to buy him after being held to ransom over the fee.

He scores some great goals from time to time, but that's really all he offers at this point, and they are frequent enough to justify his place in the starting eleven. We need some pace in the center of the park. It wouldn't surprise me if we had the slowest midfield in the league. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

And why is that,? is it because Gana was sold and his replacement has been injured for months, Then there is also Gomes who also has a long term injury, these are injuries we had no hope of covering, that's the reason it's been a mess but it will get better.

Barkley would not be the answer.

It didn't help that we signed Delph who had an awful injury record either. 

On 23/12/2019 at 09:50, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gylfi-sigurdssons-grim-statistic-carlo-17461267

And then you read this and realise, again, just what a waste of space he is.

No surprise to me that him being reinstated to the starting XI coincided with our worst performance of the season. 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

I think he’s played really well in the deeper role under Ancelotti.

Covered the most ground too being back there, I think for both game. I’m glad because I’ve always liked him, and whilst he had had a dip in form, it’s clear to see it’s tactics rather than application or ability. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s able to play those nice through balls more when he’s deeper.  It has helped.  He’s assisted or hockey assisted a goal already.  He was too far forward to create before.

If we're looking for someone to play a killer through ball Iwobi has to be that person we rely on, Sigurdsson offers very little when he's not scoring. 

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

If we're looking for someone to play a killer through ball Iwobi has to be that person we rely on, Sigurdsson offers very little when he's not scoring. 

This is where Sigurdsson doesn’t get the respect he deserves. His closing down, ground covered and interceptions are a massive part of his game add to that his crossing from deep and set pieces then he offers loads. I like Iwobi but only as a number 10 - where I prefer him to Gylfi but in a deeper role, Iwobi doesn’t have the skills I’ve mentioned here.

39 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This is where Sigurdsson doesn’t get the respect he deserves. His closing down, ground covered and interceptions are a massive part of his game add to that his crossing from deep and set pieces then he offers loads. I like Iwobi but only as a number 10 - where I prefer him to Gylfi but in a deeper role, Iwobi doesn’t have the skills I’ve mentioned here.

He had a good work rate and never stopped running under Silva but him not being very good at closing played a big part in the system not working. He's just illsuited to it as Sigurdssen is reactive and slow at covering the short yards. If he read the play better he'd be able to block the pass and not have to chase people's tails as much. 

Agree he's a good crosser though. Why I was saying we should use him on the wing. 

I love Gylfi, he’s as much a toffee as anyone on here but since he’s been at the club he’s never been played in a position that really suited him and now I think he’s been overtaken by events. There are better players than him in every attacking position and although he’s a trier he’s just not cut out as a defensive or deeper midfielder which is where he’s played recently. What’s worse is that his dead ball play - which is supposed to be his strength - has evaporated. I’m sick of all those limp floated free kicks and corners. Unless Ancelotti can find a role to wring out his talents and restore his confidence his time is going to be limited. A shame because I love the bloke and at his best, which we’ve never seen here, he’s the type of player who you could build a side round and dominate games. Trust Everton to buy him and then try to slot him in here or there.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought he was sublime for us when we dominated for the first 15-20mins. He was really pulling the strings and making us tick. Once Newcastle woke up and came into the game it was more his work rate that was evident. But a very good all round game from him yesterday.

I agree when we played football on the deck we dominated, and Siggy played really well. When we let Newcastle turn the game into kick and rush he was out of his comfort zone and couldnt help us wrestle control back. That's the dilemma he is great at certain elements of many roles but has weakness that make him flawed. 

11 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I agree, he’s too slow to affect games in the final third. He’s better in a deeper role where he can dictate the play 

Ever since he arrived at Eerton when he was put in a deeper role fans moaned about it saying his natural positon was behidn the striker.

I dont think he's good enough in any position in the squad and needs replacing.

He is not good enough to wear the shirt, he won’t be playing for us next season there is not a role in the team where he shines, we need to anyone of our injured MFs back to get him out the team or better still 2 to get him out the squad.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

He is not good enough to wear the shirt, he won’t be playing for us next season there is not a role in the team where he shines, we need to anyone of our injured MFs back to get him out the team or better still 2 to get him out the squad.

I'd replace him before any other player tbh. His role in the team is that important.

He done. Simply put.

Put a good set piece in but if we wanted someone to do fuck all in the centre circle and a whip a dead ball in or 2 each game I’m sure Charlie Adam would be glad to do it for a 10th of what this guy is on.

How anyone can remotely think he’s an option still is beyond me. There’s this unbelievable myth that follows Gylfi that he is this technical maestro - commentators and fans of other teams seem to always say it, that he can pick a pass or unlock a defence. Open play he’s technically wank, under hit passes and loose touches. He’s so slow he has to use everyone ounce of skill just to retain the ball. 

No idea what club would be mad enough to offer money to us for him let alone offer the 6 figure weekly salary I’m sure he thinks he’s worth.

Nice guy I’m sure but needs to be shown the door.

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

He done. Simply put.

Put a good set piece in but if we wanted someone to do fuck all in the centre circle and a whip a dead ball in or 2 each game I’m sure Charlie Adam would be glad to do it for a 10th of what this guy is on.

How anyone can remotely think he’s an option still is beyond me. There’s this unbelievable myth that follows Gylfi that he is this technical maestro - commentators and fans of other teams seem to always say it, that he can pick a pass or unlock a defence. Open play he’s technically wank, under hit passes and loose touches. He’s so slow he has to use everyone ounce of skill just to retain the ball. 

No idea what club would be mad enough to offer money to us for him let alone offer the 6 figure weekly salary I’m sure he thinks he’s worth.

Nice guy I’m sure but needs to be shown the door.

There's one that needs to go before him - Schneiderlein. Fuckin disgrace.

Put it this is way - we'll get rid of Gylfi before Schneiderlein simply because clubs will want to take Gylfi.

On 29/12/2019 at 08:26, c1982 said:

He’s been woeful since I posted this. He, like so many of our players, is mentally weak. A player of his ability should have played at the very top. Look at him for Swansea and Iceland - incredible player at times when he single handedly took them beyond reasonable expectations but completely different player at Spurs and now looking the same at us - despite the odd decent performance. I put this down to mentality in some parts. Henderson at that lot is a good example - limited footballer but his drive and determination makes him an important part of winning teams. I don’t see this in many of our ‘nice guys’.