IGNORED

John Lundstram

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Have to admit that while everyone has been watching Barkleys progress for Engalnd over the last 12 months this lad has been shinning.

Anyone who has seen him perform for England, i am sure would agree that he looks like a man playing with a team of boys.

I for one would be very suprised if this lad doesnt have a promising future ahead of him.

Watching him on international level he seems a great prospect, has anyone saw much of him for our own set-up?

• 2 months later...

I find his situation odd, he's been praised in UEFA's and FIFA's technical reports, played in three major competitions (UEFA U17, U19 and FIFA U17) and has never had a sniff of the first team. He's one of three players who've never had any first team experience from the UEFA U19 comp (one of the others is Hallam Hope).

Holy shit, not 6 in over 10 years!

Considering that 2 of them were the best players of their age group at the time they came through and Seamus was in his 20's. It also took forever for Moyes to start him despite being the brightest player on the pitch when he came on (figuratively, clearly not literally!).

There is also a difference between being given a chance and getting token minutes on the pitch, and I think that is probably the most saddening thing considering how poorly the team have played for chunks of seasons and considering how many injuries we have had in the same time.

Anyway I think this loan for Lundstram is a good move. Its a shame its not to a club higher up the football league pecking order but any first team football for a young player is a positive.

Edited by Bailey

Just like Coleman, Barkley, Rodwell, Anichebe, Rooney...

Oh wait....

Good examples there Matt...

Barkley - a prime example of someone who has had the best seat in the house to watch a game for the past 2 seasons despite showing early on what he was capable (being mentioned by the likes of capello, running under 21 games) and then having to endure watching the likes of Neville and Heitinga fill in and trod around the midfield lumping nowhere balls. No progress in two years.

Rodwell - another one who came in early and showed unreal ability and composure only to be played on the right hand side, lose confidence, get subbed, lose more confidence. Get sold

Rooney - THE BEST talent we have brought through our youth ranks. Moyes decided that this raw talent needed subbing, playing on the left, subbing etc whilst England were using him to win world cup qualifiers, ultimately till he went to united where the manager played him pretty much non stop.

Anichebe - see Rodwell

Coleman - If it wasnt for the fact that he was playing in what I dare say is the weakest position - not only in our team but in the whole of the prem he would be anichebe/rodwell.

Shall I also throw into the mix:- Ruddy, Baxter, wallace, vellios,

anyhows onto an intewrest post I read elsewhere:-

Around 200 players in the history of Everton FC have made 100 or more competitive appearances for the club so had really cemented themselves in the first team for a concerted period of time. Of those 200, 51 or about a quarter were home grown and weren't bought from another club. (Though many more like Mercer and Wilson got their first professional games here.)

Of those 51 players, here are the managers to give them their debuts.

William Barclay (1 year): 1 (Johnny Holt)

Dick Molyneux (2 years): 1 (Samuel Wolstenholme)

William Cuff (17 years): 4 (Harry Makepeace, Sam Chedgzoy, George Harrison, Bob Balmer)

W.J. Sawyer (1 year): None

Thomas McIntosh (16 years): 5 (Ted Sagar, Charles Gee, Jimmy Cunliffe, Albert Virr, Jack Jones)

Theo Kelly (9 years): 3 (Eddie Wainwright, George Saunders, Tony McNamara)

Cliff Britton (8 years): 7 (Tommy Jones, Jimmy O'Neill, Jimmy Harris, Eric Moore, Mick Meagan, John Parker, James Tansey)

Ian Buchan (2 years): 3 (Brian Labone, Derek Temple, Albert Dunlop)

Johnny Carey (3 years): None

Harry Catterick (12 years): 10 (Mick Lyons, John Hurst, Colin Harvey, Tommy Wright, Roger Kenyon, Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband, Terry Darracott, Andy Rankin, David Johnson)

Tom Eggleston (0.08 years): 1 (Mick Buckley)

Billy Bingham (4 years): 3 (Mark Higgins, George Telfer, Dave Jones)

Steve Burtenshaw (0.08 years): None

Gordon Lee (4 years) : 3 (Kevin Ratcliffe, Billy Wright, Steve McMahon)

Howard Kendall (10 years): 4 (Gary Stevens, John Ebbrell, David Unsworth, Kevin Richardson)

Colin Harvey (3 years): None

Jimmy Gabriel (0.08 years): None

Mike Walker (0.92 years): None

Dave Watson (0.08 years): 2 (Michael Ball, Danny Cadamarteri)

Walter Smith (4 years): 1 (Tony Hibbert)

David Moyes (13 years): 3 (Jack Rodwell, Victor Anichebe, Leon Osman)

Good examples there Matt...

Barkley - a prime example of someone who has had the best seat in the house to watch a game for the past 2 seasons despite showing early on what he was capable (being mentioned by the likes of capello, running under 21 games) and then having to endure watching the likes of Neville and Heitinga fill in and trod around the midfield lumping nowhere balls. No progress in two years.

Did you think that maybe he isnt ready yet? Or are you saying from what youve seen means you have a better understanding that someone who has worked with him on a daily basis and is actually a qualified manager? Or maybe he should be thrown into the mix too young and suffer the fate of Rodwell (great potential, over hyped, under performed)? I would love to have seen him play instead of Phil and Johnny, but only if he was ready and none of us here can judge that.

Rodwell - another one who came in early and showed unreal ability and composure only to be played on the right hand side, lose confidence, get subbed, lose more confidence. Get sold

So were going to ignore the constant injury problems then? The injury problems that didnt really allow him to develop as well as he couldve done, and are still crippling his career at City. Or the fact his favoured position was also the position of Felli, the clubs record signing? He was given game time, albeit out of position, in an attempt to give him more experience. He had several excellent games, he had several shite games. However, a few short years later, more mature and with more experience thanks to game time, he was sold to the EPL Champions. Why? Because Moyes put him on the pitch.

Rooney - THE BEST talent we have brought through our youth ranks. Moyes decided that this raw talent needed subbing, playing on the left, subbing etc whilst England were using him to win world cup qualifiers, ultimately till he went to united where the manager played him pretty much non stop.

He tried to protect a world class player in the making. 2 years later, more mature and with more experience thanks to game time, he was snapped up by United. How did he get snapped up? Because Moyes put him on the pitch.

Anichebe - see Rodwell.

See constant injuries and favoured positions.

Coleman - If it wasnt for the fact that he was playing in what I dare say is the weakest position - not only in our team but in the whole of the prem he would be anichebe/rodwell. But the point is, hes given a chance to play, and is still young right? So would that not be giving a young, dare I say youth, player a chance?

Shall I also throw into the mix:- Ruddy, Baxter, wallace, vellios,

These were talents that were not given a chance, and I agree they should be. But, im not an EPL manager, I dont know how they look in training. Im not saying Moyes has got it right everytime, but to effectively say he never gives the kids a chance is bullshit.

anyhows onto an intewrest post I read elsewhere:-

So hes nearly done the same as Kendall?

There seems to be a view by some that players should be in the starting XI just because they are under the age of 21 irrespective of how good they are

People shouting for Stones when they have never even seen him play and probably hadnt even heard of him a few weeks ago is a prime example

Moyes has given plenty of youngsters a chance and the simple fact is that if they are good enough they stay in if they arent they dont

Rodwell was only used a couple of times at right mid in my memory - I was at every home game during his time at GP and can only remember him starting there once?! Arguably Moyes improved him by playing him centre mid which was technically out of position for the young prospect who started life as a centre back. Didn't Hibbert start life at right mid too? If there's going to be criticism for Moyes playing players out of position then surely there must be praise too?

Rodwell was only used a couple of times at right mid in my memory - I was at every home game during his time at GP and can only remember him starting there once?! Arguably Moyes improved him by playing him centre mid which was technically out of position for the young prospect who started life as a centre back. Didn't Hibbert start life at right mid too? If there's going to be criticism for Moyes playing players out of position then surely there must be praise too?

Lol I can remember Moyes getting absolutely slated for playing Rooney in midfield, then 2 years later Sir Alex does exactly the same thing and is declaired a tactical genius

He played him right mid and it was a disaster. He often brought him back too early from injury as well, Rodwell has natural talent and would have ended up a great player eventually whatever the club, if anything Moyes has been detrimental to Rodwell's progression.

He played him right mid and it was a disaster. He often brought him back too early from injury as well, Rodwell has natural talent and would have ended up a great player eventually whatever the club, if anything Moyes has been detrimental to Rodwell's progression.

That is not the managers decision, its down to the medical staff and the player himself to say if he is fit enough to be playing