IGNORED

Blue Union

Louis

What is it they actually want?

Glad it's not just me who wondered that!

It's beginning to look like a Monty Python sketch.

KEIOC are/were more interested in the long-term stadium plans Everton

Evertonians 4 Change wanted to ask a few questions of the board, Robert Elstone responded saying he didn't see the point of it because they wanted his employer out of job.

The People's Group want to highlight the problems of the Kenwrightian era and how the boards' decisions have led to the situation we are in now where there is little money left for acquisitions.

I can understand questions/ideas regarding Stadium plans, as there could always be a diamond in the rough to come out of that. I also agree with fans helping (in whatever way possible) to assist in a takeover that would benefit the club in the long term. However anything else is really none of the fans business. Just because fans are frustrated that there is a lack of money for transfers, it doesn't mean they have any right to view details of Everton's business, and besides, as much as Moyes could do with millions to spend on high profile players, if the Premier League positions were based on which team had the least ego's we would be top every year. Moyes has always done well at taking players for relatively small fees and maximising their potential (Arteta, Cahill, Jagielka etc) and yet we have spent money on bigger transfers, and even then some of them don't pay off (Bilyaletdinov anyone?).

I think it's a good idea to get a united supporter's group to open up a free and hopefully beneficial dialogue with the Board and higher ups at Everton, but all the same the best thing we can contribute to the club being fans is just that, being fans. Go to the games, support the club whatever way we can and that goes double for when the club is in difficult situations, because that's what real fans do.

Edited by The Regulator

you could say that either way though...do real fans support the club in difficult times or do real fans ask questions and hustle people to get answers? I'm not saying one bit that I agree with some of the clowns in these groups by the way, 'cause it seems some are just wankers who decided they want to jump along 'cause we aren't man city.

im sorry but just sitting back and supporting the team wont be as nice when the club has sold the artetas, cahills and jags to keep the club in business, but we find ourselves going strong in the championship.

do people not realise just how close we are getting to melt down?

we have been selling assets for years to keep the club in business, we have no off field assets left to sell.

anyone we do sell will not result in the whole fee going in the transfer kitty, elstone has said this already.

we already had to loan players out last year to keep the wages down, there isnt long left in this situation.

im sorry but just sitting back and supporting the team wont be as nice when the club has sold the artetas, cahills and jags to keep the club in business, but we find ourselves going strong in the championship.

do people not realise just how close we are getting to melt down?

we have been selling assets for years to keep the club in business, we have no off field assets left to sell.

anyone we do sell will not result in the whole fee going in the transfer kitty, elstone has said this already.

we already had to loan players out last year to keep the wages down, there isnt long left in this situation.

Totally agree, it's quite frightening the situation we are heading for.

Many fans seem to just look at Leighton Baines, Fellaini, Jagielka, hope that Rodwell and Barkley will become world class and everything is tickety boo. They point to winning against Man City, Chelsea etc and take it as a moral victory that Everton with their non existent transfer budget can mix it with the super rich.

They fail to see why we skint, that we are not getting better financially despite selling assets. That we have no chance of replacing neville, saha, cahill, arteta, distin, with like for like replacements unless the academy does something no other club since Man United back in 1995 achieved. By that I mean producing 5 international players who were able to replace proven quality. We certainly can't go into the transfer market can we? spending the £50m it would take?

Is it going to take the sale of Baines. Fellaini, Rodwell and maybe the "new Gerrard" Ross Barkley replaced by experienced campaigners, gambles and loans to anger these fans sufficiently to realise that all along these irritating pressure groups had a point. That it wasn't just the one of success of KEIOC in highlighting that fans are capable of cutting through the spin and unveiling that the people running our club are incompetent liars.

Will it take Moyes leaving us, finally lured to manage a team with a transfer budget, where their best players do not get sold. Only to see us struggle to find a manager prepared to risk his reputation running a club with top half expectations on minimal budget? Many will say Moyes isn't that great, that his tactics are flawed and that he has made bad signings. But, tell me a manager who would have done a better job. Is he a top 4 manager? maybe not as he is too negative for me, but he is the best damage limitation manager there is.

A lesser manager than Moyes would have highlighted this clubs plight for what it really is.

Edited by Hafnia

Totally agree, it's quite frightening the situation we are heading for.

Many fans seem to just look at Leighton Baines, Fellaini, Jagielka, hope that Rodwell and Barkley will become world class and everything is tickety boo. They point to winning against Man City, Chelsea etc and take it as a moral victory that Everton with their non existent transfer budget can mix it with the super rich.

They fail to see why we skint, that we are not getting better despite selling assets. That we have no chance of replacing neville, saha, cahill, arteta, distin, with like for like replacements unless the academy does something no other club since Man United back in 1995 achieved. By that I mean producing 5 international players who were able to replace proven quality. We certainly can't go into the transfer market can we and spend the £50m it would take to do that otherwise?

Is it going to take the sale of Baines. Fellaini, Rodwell and maybe the "new Gerrard" Ross Barkley replaced by experienced campaigners, gambles and loans to anger these fans sufficiently to realise that all along these irritating pressure groups had a point. That it wasn't just the one of success of KEIOC in highlighting that fans are capable of cutting through the spin and unveiling that the people running our club are incompetent liars.

Will it take Moyes leaving us, finally lured to manage a team with a transfer budget, where their best players do not get sold. Only to see us struggle to find a manager prepared to risk his reputation running a club with top half expectations on minimal budget? Many will say Moyes isn't that great, that his tactics are flawed and that he has made bad signings. But, tell me a manager who would have done a better job. Is he a top 4 manager? maybe not as he is too negative for me, but he is the best damage limitation manager there is.

A lesser manager than Moyes would have highlighted this clubs plight for what it really is.

very well put sir

On the train today and overheard(not voluntary he was just a loud focker) someone who's involved with these groups, dont know which one, but he was moaning about how unorganised it is and that he had jus had an e-mail of blue union at half 7pm for them to discuss the spurs game on thurs 5th(5th would be a fri, so thats why he was moaning on the phone). He was moaning about all sorts, heard him say something about using the wrong qpr logo, so id expect flyers at the 1st home game. He then finished on the lines of its a mess but expect something to happen soon.

Change what you can't accept, and accept what you can't change.

They were words offered to me by a boss many years ago, who besides being a bit off a git had his moments.

The club don't have the cash to compete. Football is no longer won on the pitch. The first time lads kicking a ball around became superstars was the start of the end for the game of football.

It's a working class game that has been stolen by the rich, and when they can't be arsed with it anymore the game will fall over like a house of cards on a windy day.

I've been lucky enough to have supported Everton since I was a kid, so I've seen some good times, and applauded the lads as they brought silverware to the club, but after all the elation and rejoicing died down, I still had to get up for work the next day, and the grim reality that 'I' as a fan, hadn't actually won sod all.

It's a bit like Christmas day. All the hassle leading up to it and when it comes, everyone is happy for a day, and then it's back to work. Winning isn't that important. It's just more fun than losing. What is more important is how good the game is, and that should be the first thing on a fans mind, or why bother watching it?

If it's just about winning trophies, and sitting in a great stadium, why don't fans go and support United or Chelsea? The banners demanding that we win trophies is a bit over the top. It's not a given right for a club to win. 19 other teams all have a little say about that, regardless of how great your team is.

When we were kids, teams used to be played with even teams.

Two captains would each pick a player, until only the crap ones were left, but even the crap players got a game, because it was a game for everybody. The spirit of football has all but disappeared now. The big clubs who buy all the so called superstars are pretty much declaring how bad at football they are.

It's no different to having a one on one scrap as a kid,only for the other lad to go and get his bigger mates. What happens? You go and get your bigger mates, and just like a game of tennis it goes back and forth until the guys are 20ft tall and armed with nukes.

If you want to get better, you train harder, and stay off the ale and cigs, and hey presto, you end up a decent player.

Buying success is a bit lame. Why bother having coaches? Sack them all, and save on their wages, and just buy ready made players. Pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes and watch how they score.

There are 3 types of sports fans; those that shout for the big guy; those that shout for the little guy; and those that aren't interested as long as it's a good scrap, and I'm not talking fisty cuffs here, but any sport.

Eventually though, the ones that were neutrals eventually become fond of one player / side, and a club fan is born (for example).

I supported Everton because I became fond of them.

Yes, my dad was a Blue, but unlike my brothers who are Reds, I became a blue because I was taken by everyone cheering, and the atmosphere at the match, and as I got older the chats on the train on the way home etc, where as my brothers became reds because Liverpool were the best team around at the time when they were growing up.

They didn't even know who played for Liverpool. They just wanted to be associated with victory, like thousands and millions of other glory hunting fans.

Moving away from the brothers, as they're no longer active fans (bless their red socks) and back to the glory hunters, does it change your life if you support a title winning team, as opposed to a relegated team?

Isn't football still football?

You watch a match, you get to see 'both' teams playing, not just one. Is it impossible to admire the skills of the opposition? If the opposition play great football, are they not worthy of being recognised, even if they're bottom of the league?

Must the neutrals handkerchief always be thrown towards the victor, especially when the victor just happens to get refereeing decisions mysteriously go their way, or so much extra time that you're wondering if you'll make it back to the pub before closing?

Glory hunters don't care. They're only interested in associating themselves with the achievements of others, and then patting themselves on the back, in some strange ritual that perhaps suggests that they've tasted success.

Personally, I don't buy all that crap, but how different is a glory hunter, to a fan of a team that complains about lack of success, and starts to demand heads roll in order for them to see it?

If Everton find investment, then for me, so be it, but I kind of enjoy the anticipation each season, brought on from the 'what if' scenario.

I know every year we will probably win nothing, but getting to a final, and nearly winning the cup, for me at least, is better than the team winning everything in sight every year, and it just being yet another trip to Wembley to stoke the fires that power my ego.

I like supporting Everton, but I won't be 'demanding' change, or trophies. I'd rather the club survives, and doesn't go bust.

The history of the club belongs to the club and the fans that have supported her throughout, but I can only talk about the club during the years that I've supported it. I don't get those that go on about the clubs history, yet are young men.

I don't like the situation we find ourselves in any more than the next fan, but my annoyance isn't with Everton, but with the state of the game, and all the fat cats that have gotten rich from it, be it players (especially players ) or the businesses who over invest in it.

We as fans can't beat them, unless we join them, meaning unless a billionaire takes over, we are unlikely to get a flash new stadium and trophies every year, but I'd rather see honest lads sweating for the club, and winning games because they gave more, than pay some fancy Dan to fight the battle.

Personally, I don't want to join them. I like being a fan of a good honest club, and if we get a new ground, with new owners, and new players, and eventually a new manager isn't that just a new Everton?

Why bother? Why not just go support City? Maybe just ask City to call itself Everton, and move a bit closer, as it would be the same thing. Heck, be lucky the City owners don't buy us and call us Liverpool United.

I'm happy if we stay afloat, stay in the top half of the Premiership, which in itself is quite an achievement and enjoy the Moyes era a bit more, be it with a trophy or not. If we can get to another final, great. No amount of money will win the league at the moment, so no point worrying about it every year.

If they get a new stadium, it will be great, but for now I'll keep kicking the dog and take each game as it comes.

(sorry for writing too much. It's just me being me lol. blush.png

Change what you can't accept, and accept what you can't change.

They were words offered to me by a boss many years ago, who besides being a bit off a git had his moments.

The club don't have the cash to compete. Football is no longer won on the pitch. The first time lads kicking a ball around became superstars was the start of the end for the game of football.

It's a working class game that has been stolen by the rich, and when they can't be arsed with it anymore the game will fall over like a house of cards on a windy day.

I've been lucky enough to have supported Everton since I was a kid, so I've seen some good times, and applauded the lads as they brought silverware to the club, but after all the elation and rejoicing died down, I still had to get up for work the next day, and the grim reality that 'I' as a fan, hadn't actually won sod all.

It's a bit like Christmas day. All the hassle leading up to it and when it comes, everyone is happy for a day, and then it's back to work. Winning isn't that important. It's just more fun than losing. What is more important is how good the game is, and that should be the first thing on a fans mind, or why bother watching it?

If it's just about winning trophies, and sitting in a great stadium, why don't fans go and support United or Chelsea? The banners demanding that we win trophies is a bit over the top. It's not a given right for a club to win. 19 other teams all have a little say about that, regardless of how great your team is.

When we were kids, teams used to be played with even teams.

Two captains would each pick a player, until only the crap ones were left, but even the crap players got a game, because it was a game for everybody. The spirit of football has all but disappeared now. The big clubs who buy all the so called superstars are pretty much declaring how bad at football they are.

It's no different to having a one on one scrap as a kid,only for the other lad to go and get his bigger mates. What happens? You go and get your bigger mates, and just like a game of tennis it goes back and forth until the guys are 20ft tall and armed with nukes.

If you want to get better, you train harder, and stay off the ale and cigs, and hey presto, you end up a decent player.

Buying success is a bit lame. Why bother having coaches? Sack them all, and save on their wages, and just buy ready made players. Pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes and watch how they score.

There are 3 types of sports fans; those that shout for the big guy; those that shout for the little guy; and those that aren't interested as long as it's a good scrap, and I'm not talking fisty cuffs here, but any sport.

Eventually though, the ones that were neutrals eventually become fond of one player / side, and a club fan is born (for example).

I supported Everton because I became fond of them.

Yes, my dad was a Blue, but unlike my brothers who are Reds, I became a blue because I was taken by everyone cheering, and the atmosphere at the match, and as I got older the chats on the train on the way home etc, where as my brothers became reds because Liverpool were the best team around at the time when they were growing up.

They didn't even know who played for Liverpool. They just wanted to be associated with victory, like thousands and millions of other glory hunting fans.

Moving away from the brothers, as they're no longer active fans (bless their red socks) and back to the glory hunters, does it change your life if you support a title winning team, as opposed to a relegated team?

Isn't football still football?

You watch a match, you get to see 'both' teams playing, not just one. Is it impossible to admire the skills of the opposition? If the opposition play great football, are they not worthy of being recognised, even if they're bottom of the league?

Must the neutrals handkerchief always be thrown towards the victor, especially when the victor just happens to get refereeing decisions mysteriously go their way, or so much extra time that you're wondering if you'll make it back to the pub before closing?

Glory hunters don't care. They're only interested in associating themselves with the achievements of others, and then patting themselves on the back, in some strange ritual that perhaps suggests that they've tasted success.

Personally, I don't buy all that crap, but how different is a glory hunter, to a fan of a team that complains about lack of success, and starts to demand heads roll in order for them to see it?

If Everton find investment, then for me, so be it, but I kind of enjoy the anticipation each season, brought on from the 'what if' scenario.

I know every year we will probably win nothing, but getting to a final, and nearly winning the cup, for me at least, is better than the team winning everything in sight every year, and it just being yet another trip to Wembley to stoke the fires that power my ego.

I like supporting Everton, but I won't be 'demanding' change, or trophies. I'd rather the club survives, and doesn't go bust.

The history of the club belongs to the club and the fans that have supported her throughout, but I can only talk about the club during the years that I've supported it. I don't get those that go on about the clubs history, yet are young men.

I don't like the situation we find ourselves in any more than the next fan, but my annoyance isn't with Everton, but with the state of the game, and all the fat cats that have gotten rich from it, be it players (especially players ) or the businesses who over invest in it.

We as fans can't beat them, unless we join them, meaning unless a billionaire takes over, we are unlikely to get a flash new stadium and trophies every year, but I'd rather see honest lads sweating for the club, and winning games because they gave more, than pay some fancy Dan to fight the battle.

Personally, I don't want to join them. I like being a fan of a good honest club, and if we get a new ground, with new owners, and new players, and eventually a new manager isn't that just a new Everton?

Why bother? Why not just go support City? Maybe just ask City to call itself Everton, and move a bit closer, as it would be the same thing. Heck, be lucky the City owners don't buy us and call us Liverpool United.

I'm happy if we stay afloat, stay in the top half of the Premiership, which in itself is quite an achievement and enjoy the Moyes era a bit more, be it with a trophy or not. If we can get to another final, great. No amount of money will win the league at the moment, so no point worrying about it every year.

If they get a new stadium, it will be great, but for now I'll keep kicking the dog and take each game as it comes.

(sorry for writing too much. It's just me being me lol. blush.png

No offence but in short that post would have been more relevant if you replaced the word Everton with Tranmere.

Everton isn't about mediocrity and survival. To repeat a point that many make we are not surviving.... We are slowly going under. Your passionate Nick Hornby style ode to being an Evertonian is wasted on me.

We do not need owners to build us a new stadium, to be billionaires, or to buy the players that city and chelsea buy. It's about making us self sufficient. Redevelop the park end, increase match day income, pay off debts that the interest repayments would hand the manager some transfer money. Ensure we are able to keep our best players.

If we had the above for the past 5 years we would have broken into champions league and then it's a whole new ball game. You wouldn't be talking about being an evertonian in simplistic terms, you would be talking about the nights where you watched the likes of messi, xavi, Schneider, eto'o, ronaldinho play at goodison. We are not asking for a billionaire sugar daddy, we want owners that can create a business model that will mean the manager doesn't miss out on nzogbia, have a second rate forward line.

Being a fan of everton means you dont simply shrug off disappointment and be happy that you are in the top half of the league. That's what we need to reinforce to fans younger than 20, who see progress as just not as being as crap as we were in the late 90's. It sounds to me as though your heart doesn't hurt as much as others. I can't call it apathy, you need to have gone through the anger.

you seem to be one of those it's not the winnin it's the takin part fella's...that's horse shit! if you wanna watch summat and not care who wins then go watch ballet ;)

i don't want a sugardaddy at this club as it would destroy what everton is but like haf i want the club to be self sufficient and not slowly sink like a ship with a hole..i dont really know ins and outs of what is going on there because if i'm honest i can't get my head round financial matters..but frustration builds and things are being highlighted that make me feel uneasy about the future of this club..

also glory hunters are not football fans they're wankers

Football will always be won and lost on the pitch, at the end of the day it's 11 people vs 11 people.

Nice post all in all - not saying I agree with it or enjoyed reading it but it was personal to you and you're obviously a committed/passionate blue so fair play.

when i see everton lose it hurts, if its to liverpool it hurts really bad.

but seeing them win is fantastic. when jags scored the penalty at wembley i felt like i felt in 95, ok it was only a semi final but the feeling of celebrating with family, friends, and even the big stranger next to me throwing his lad in the air is what its all about.

when i was bored a few years back, me and the lads used to go and watch the reserves at widnes, because we didnt care if they won or lost, was just a nice trip out. then it was the taking part that counted for us, but when we go to see the first team its all about the winning.

anyone remember how shit we played the season we finished 4th? how many scrappy 1-0 wins did we have? i didnt care if it was a good game, we won was all that mattered.

First ever Everton game was 5-0 victory against Nottingham forest (15 December 1984) - talk about setting expectations. We won the league that season, and the Cup winners cup and missed out on the FA cup. We demolished Man United 5-0 at home to boot.

I ain't for one minute accepting that I need to support a diluted version of what we were. Someone wants to do that then go follow Forest, Derby, Wolves, Shef Wed.

No offence but in short that post would have been more relevant if you replaced the word Everton with Tranmere.

Everton isn't about mediocrity and survival. To repeat a point that many make we are not surviving.... We are slowly going under. Your passionate Nick Hornby style ode to being an Evertonian is wasted on me.

We do not need owners to build us a new stadium, to be billionaires, or to buy the players that city and chelsea buy. It's about making us self sufficient. Redevelop the park end, increase match day income, pay off debts that the interest repayments would hand the manager some transfer money. Ensure we are able to keep our best players.

If we had the above for the past 5 years we would have broken into champions league and then it's a whole new ball game. You wouldn't be talking about being an evertonian in simplistic terms, you would be talking about the nights where you watched the likes of messi, xavi, Schneider, eto'o, ronaldinho play at goodison. We are not asking for a billionaire sugar daddy, we want owners that can create a business model that will mean the manager doesn't miss out on nzogbia, have a second rate forward line.

Being a fan of everton means you dont simply shrug off disappointment and be happy that you are in the top half of the league. That's what we need to reinforce to fans younger than 20, who see progress as just not as being as crap as we were in the late 90's. It sounds to me as though your heart doesn't hurt as much as others. I can't call it apathy, you need to have gone through the anger.

It's just my own opinion. With hundreds of thousands of Everton supporters across the world, not all views will be like mine, that's for sure. I don't claim my views to be the correct views either, but they're the views of a football fan all the same.

You say Everton aren't about mediocrity or survival, yet every other fan says the same about their own clubs. We can't hold on to tradition and history like King Canute trying to hold back the tide. The truth is that other teams are buying their way into the history books, and we can't compete. Whether we like it or not, this makes us mediocre amidst the current state of affairs, and survival is paramount.

There are 72 football league teams, and only 4 qualify for Champions league. It's no fluke that the ones that normally qualify are the ones that have the most money.

If paying off debts was so easy, surely it would be done, and few clubs would have such debt. As it is, most clubs have huge debt.

How would we have qualified for Champions league based on your requirements? We'd still have to beat the other teams wouldn't we?

As for my heart hurting, football is just a game. Let's save hurting hearts for real life issues, as opposed to eleven relative strangers succeeding or failing.

Having passion for football should never outweigh passion for everything outside of football. Some folk have only football to enrich their lives. That doesn't make them better fans. It just means the game has it's place in our priorities, and for each of us, our priorities are different.

We all love Everton, and all want the best for the club, and success on the pitch, but the hard facts are that people with enormous amounts of money, for what ever reason, now control the sharp end of football, and those that are not part of their plans can only look from the outside in.

Is the real issue about what is best for the fans, the club, or about keeping up with the Jones' ?

Many older Everton fans like myself have seen the good times, so our attitudes might be different to younger fans that haven't. My attitude is not geared towards the club spending more, or finding investment in order to keep up with the big spenders, but more preventing clubs from spending in the first place. I guess it's equivalent to not buying a sports car, but instead making the speed limit less.

We're all different. Only the anticipation as the whistle blows remains the same.

they are your views mate and you entitled to have them.

Appreciated.

I found your post interesting. If I may add to it without disagreeing with it ..........

when i see everton lose it hurts, if its to liverpool it hurts really bad.

but seeing them win is fantastic. when jags scored the penalty at wembley i felt like i felt in 95, ok it was only a semi final but the feeling of celebrating with family, friends, and even the big stranger next to me throwing his lad in the air is what its all about.

when i was bored a few years back, me and the lads used to go and watch the reserves at widnes, because we didnt care if they won or lost, was just a nice trip out. then it was the taking part that counted for us, but when we go to see the first team its all about the winning.

anyone remember how shit we played the season we finished 4th? how many scrappy 1-0 wins did we have? i didnt care if it was a good game, we won was all that mattered.

I totally understand your views, but if you compare football to a rock concert, would you not care if the performance was awful, as long as the song got to number one?

I'm an Everton fan, but most of all, I'm a football fan, in that I can watch Arsenal v United, or 'your choice here' v who ever, and be fully entertained if it's a great game. To watch awful, awful football, and then get a lucky penalty decision in the 90th minute would drive me up the wall. It has to be entertaining. Sure, if it was the last game of the season, and we needed a win to succeed, then fantastivc, but can you imagine it week in and week out?

A perfect scenario, which I'm sure we'll all agree, would be an incredibly entertaining match, and come out as victors. Watching football and getting frustrated defeats the object of the exercise. I think we've all been frustrated for some time now, but the problem is that it's slightly out of the clubs hands at the moment regarding putting it all right, and definitely out of our hands.

Maybe that's why the more hardline fans (is that the right term?) are starting to protest.

I don't understand enough about the politics, or even the finances of football to get involved, as I just like watching football and enjoy the more innocent side of the game.

I tend to leave all the politics to the guys who know what they're talking about, or in some cases 'don't', but jump on the bandwagons anyway lol.

Football history is a bit like a marriage, where the term 'for better or for worse' is concerned. All we can do is enjoy the good times when they happen, and hope the bad times don't happen too often, but if we let the bad times become too much of a problem, then the relationship breaks down.

Is that what's happening with some of the fans and the board?

I'm confident the good times will be back soon. Others fear the worst. As said, we all support the club with different views, but I think we all want the best for Everton.

Football will always be won and lost on the pitch, at the end of the day it's 11 people vs 11 people.

Nice post all in all - not saying I agree with it or enjoyed reading it but it was personal to you and you're obviously a committed/passionate blue so fair play.

Thanks man.

Regarding the on the pitch scenario though, I think the bigger picture applies.

A war may be won on the battlefield too, but the country that can afford the best weapons will determine victory long before the first bullet is fired.

At the moment, we have the firepower to win the odd battle, but if the league is a war, we have no chance of winning it on the field alone. I know it sounds cheesy, but I think it's true.

It's just my own opinion. With hundreds of thousands of Everton supporters across the world, not all views will be like mine, that's for sure. I don't claim my views to be the correct views either, but they're the views of a football fan all the same.

Fair point

You say Everton aren't about mediocrity or survival, yet every other fan says the same about their own clubs. We can't hold on to tradition and history like King Canute trying to hold back the tide. The truth is that other teams are buying their way into the history books, and we can't compete. Whether we like it or not, this makes us mediocre amidst the current state of affairs, and survival is paramount.

Not every other football fan has seen their club win leagues, FA cups, european competition, and break transfer fees and have one of the higest average attendances and spent more years in the top flight than anyone else. If they did, you would forgive them for having high expectations

There are 72 football league teams, and only 4 qualify for Champions league. It's no fluke that the ones that normally qualify are the ones that have the most money.

I would disagree and say that the best are the ones who have the better team, that does not always come down to money. It's how wisely they spend that money. We are fortunate that in 8 out of 11 positions we are comparable and in places better than the top 4 - that has been done on a shoe string. We do not need to spend £40m on aguero or £20m on downing to get what we need to challenge that top 4. We need to strenghten the flanks and strikers.

If paying off debts was so easy, surely it would be done, and few clubs would have such debt. As it is, most clubs have huge debt.

Other clubs have a far greater turnover, and have not sold all their assets.

How would we have qualified for Champions league based on your requirements? We'd still have to beat the other teams wouldn't we?

Look at where we finished...5th, 6th etc. We were one or two players away from making that jump that would have provided a massive increase in revenue - which would have helped us sustain squad quality.

As for my heart hurting, football is just a game. Let's save hurting hearts for real life issues, as opposed to eleven relative strangers succeeding or failing.

Then in all seriousness - no offence intended, why did you spend such a long time writing about "a game" - I don't go on monopoly forums or chess forums, they are just games to me. Football is far more than that. No it's not as important as life issues - of course it isn't, but why do people keep bringing that cliche up? You don't lose at monopoly and say "don't worry, theres bigger things going on in the world" - of course - cos that is just a game. Football is and should be a pure passion. Would you get on a plane and travel to Germany to play monopoly? Football fans will - even for a friendly.

Having passion for football should never outweigh passion for everything outside of football. Some folk have only football to enrich their lives. That doesn't make them better fans. It just means the game has it's place in our priorities, and for each of us, our priorities are different.

Some people have a lot of things enriching their lives as well as football - I know I do, it doesn't mean they "have to" show less passion for football. You can't trivialise the game of football, take the World Cup bid - hardly trivial, the disappointed fans travelling to South Africa.

We all love Everton, and all want the best for the club, and success on the pitch, but the hard facts are that people with enormous amounts of money, for what ever reason, now control the sharp end of football, and those that are not part of their plans can only look from the outside in.

If you love Everton then you will hurt at our current plight, and not trivialise. Personally based on your comments I think you are a follower, fair enough.

Is the real issue about what is best for the fans, the club, or about keeping up with the Jones' ?

The club is the fans... whereas the players, management and board are custodians. The club should be here when they are gone, and it is our duty to question their tenure to ensure that this club is able to survive.

Many older Everton fans like myself have seen the good times, so our attitudes might be different to younger fans that haven't. My attitude is not geared towards the club spending more, or finding investment in order to keep up with the big spenders, but more preventing clubs from spending in the first place. I guess it's equivalent to not buying a sports car, but instead making the speed limit less.

That may well happen, but in the meantime lets look at the fact that we have increasing debt without strengthening the squad, decreasing assets and see where that is going to take us. If you had a piece of glass sticking in your heel, would you walk around on it till you found the first aid kit?

We're all different. Only the anticipation as the whistle blows remains the same.

I totally understand your views, but if you compare football to a rock concert, would you not care if the performance was awful, as long as the song got to number one?

music isn't a contest it's there to be enjoyed and there is no winner or loser at the end of a concert..gettin number 1 means fuck all to a music fan..sure you pay for both to be entertained but also to win with football..winning a game means a shit load to a football fan and if it doesn't then you're following the wrong sport in my opinion

music isn't a contest it's there to be enjoyed and there is no winner or loser at the end of a concert..gettin number 1 means fuck all to a music fan..sure you pay for both to be entertained but also to win with football..winning a game means a shit load to a football fan and if it doesn't then you're following the wrong sport in my opinion

too true. seen some very great bands, muse and foo fighters at wembley to name a few, that put on great shows. there were no losers there, and i dont think there was any number ones either.

there was plenty of passion, though not in the same way as a football match.

Thanks man.

Regarding the on the pitch scenario though, I think the bigger picture applies.

A war may be won on the battlefield too, but the country that can afford the best weapons will determine victory long before the first bullet is fired.

At the moment, we have the firepower to win the odd battle, but if the league is a war, we have no chance of winning it on the field alone. I know it sounds cheesy, but I think it's true.

You need to consider tactics, unity, heart and desire though - money can't buy these (well maybe tactics)...