IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Didn't think he was that bad on Saturday, quite good to be honest.

He didn't light the place up, but I thought he was much better than recent weeks.

i don't want an average or good player in our first team. I want fantastic and great players in our first team. Barkley is Average or good nowadays, that's not enough. I want a Payet, Mahrez, Silva, Rakitic, Verrati, etc type of 10 that plays perfect passes all the time. Not barkley who plays one a match and then loafs about without pressing.

I think it was Haf who said that Ross needs a mentor, and I agree. Right now he needs to take a step back; we need experience in that position right -- someone like a David Silva or Payet -- who can pick out those hard to see passes.

Barkley needs someone better than him in that role... for now.

Edited by TonkaRoost

IMO Ross needs to either move on, or we need to bring in a number 10 which Ross can step in for if he's injured. He's not good enough and is not likely to ever be and the sooner we see that the quicker we can move on.

Yeah missed the chance to get some money for him, he's only worth half of what we could have got 3 months ago. Can see also see it going lower, he's never going to be the player we thought he would be.

Straight swap for Mata would do me.

I don't think that's a good deal for us, the hype is still there on Barkley so that adds $$ plus he is English. I still think this season will make or break him and I hope he develops to what we all hope he can.

I would love Mata here but he seems to have found his place again at United so not sure how available he is id take Mata and Rooney for him ;-)

I think it was Haf who said that Ross needs a mentor, and I agree. Right now he needs to take a step back; we need experience in that position right -- someone like a David Silva or Payet -- who can pick out those hard to see passes.

Barkley needs someone better than him in that role... for now.

A mentor??? Really? He's played 150 premier league games. If Ross was a foreigner there would be a tenth of the posts on this. Yes everyone wants him to do well - he has a decent touch, two feet and his obvious physical attributes but I struggle to understand how fans think that if dimitri payet or david silva come and play with him he is suddenly going to have this eye for a killer pass. He doesn't have it, he has never had this. He is never a creator of chances and he will never be.

He does not have the quickness of thought of any of the players we want him to be. It is not even close. The guy is a shoe in to give the ball away when we simply need a 10 yard through pass in the dying minutes to create a chance. Am I watching a different game? It isn't confidence, it isn't fans getting on his back, it is simply talent. Yes, he has some talent - he's good on instinct, but you can never teach the football brains of this world. Ever seen a playmaker suddenly become good because of a mentor??????

A mentor??? Really? He's played 150 premier league games. If Ross was a foreigner there would be a tenth of the posts on this. Yes everyone wants him to do well - he has a decent touch, two feet and his obvious physical attributes but I struggle to understand how fans think that if dimitri payet or david silva come and play with him he is suddenly going to have this eye for a killer pass. He doesn't have it, he has never had this. He is never a creator of chances and he will never be.

He does not have the quickness of thought of any of the players we want him to be. It is not even close. The guy is a shoe in to give the ball away when we simply need a 10 yard through pass in the dying minutes to create a chance. Am I watching a different game? It isn't confidence, it isn't fans getting on his back, it is simply talent. Yes, he has some talent - he's good on instinct, but you can never teach the football brains of this world. Ever seen a playmaker suddenly become good because of a mentor??????

I would say Ross needs a different perspective. If he's not happy at Everton (for whatever reason that might be) maybe he needs to be loaned out once more. I think a a mentor/player is also another solution. Ross is a young guy, there is still plenty he can learn about the game from someone who is experienced in the position he is trying to fulfill. Overall though, Ross is not cutting it at the moment, and its showing again in Everton's final third scenarios; hence the frustration.

Its interesting isn't it..... not one of the attacking midfielders aside from Bolasie has looked anything other than poor. Mirallas, Gerry and Ross have all been poor. If I was to say who has been the worst it would be Mirallas by a mile then Gerry and then Ross.

The lads head must be swamped - lets put this into perspective shall we....

England:- Completely and utterly abused by Hodgson, tantamount to bullying IMO. The Scotland rant, the sly criticism of him after a brilliant game in the warm up for world cup 2014 - then basically he wasn't used and returned to Everton a fair bit crestfallen. Things just never improved for him under Roy and Fat Sam snubbed him.

Everton:- everything he does well gets greeted with ridiculous hype.... this is then used as a stick to beat him with. The lad needs an arm round him - not constant groans and criticism. He is the opposite to Lukaku - Lukaku seems to respond to criticism when it comes in the form of "not doing enough". Carrot and stick - Ross needs to carrot.

He just needs a game where he lashes one in and gets his momentum going... and yes - he does need a mentor. Far too much pressure on his shoulders.

Its interesting isn't it..... not one of the attacking midfielders aside from Bolasie has looked anything other than poor. Mirallas, Gerry and Ross have all been poor. If I was to say who has been the worst it would be Mirallas by a mile then Gerry and then Ross.

The lads head must be swamped - lets put this into perspective shall we....

England:- Completely and utterly abused by Hodgson, tantamount to bullying IMO. The Scotland rant, the sly criticism of him after a brilliant game in the warm up for world cup 2014 - then basically he wasn't used and returned to Everton a fair bit crestfallen. Things just never improved for him under Roy and Fat Sam snubbed him.

Everton:- everything he does well gets greeted with ridiculous hype.... this is then used as a stick to beat him with. The lad needs an arm round him - not constant groans and criticism. He is the opposite to Lukaku - Lukaku seems to respond to criticism when it comes in the form of "not doing enough". Carrot and stick - Ross needs to carrot.

He just needs a game where he lashes one in and gets his momentum going... and yes - he does need a mentor. Far too much pressure on his shoulders.

Agree, and I think that says a lot about how training is being conducted. Clearly the emphasis has been on defense and that's had an impact on the attack. Necessary considering where we were at defensively, but the training needs to start being more balanced now, so that we can actually build on the defensive strength

Sorry, but anyone being paid a couple of million pounds a year and who is not earning it, doesn't need an arm around them, they need a kick up the backside, and all the talk about him 'only' being 22 doesn't wash - he's a man. I thought about this when I watched the video of the commemoration of the young Everton fan aged 15 who was killed on the Somme in WW1. Today's players are too mollycoddled and need some stiff discipline. Thankfully, it does seem that Koeman is the man to provide it.

I maintain he's a central midfield player playing too advanced.

He can still make those driving runs from deep. As said above he's not creative enough to sit in the hole behind the striker and his best game (IMO) was against the shite at home when he dropped deeper. Literally controlled the tempo of the game.

I maintain he's a central midfield player playing too advanced.

He can still make those driving runs from deep. As said above he's not creative enough to sit in the hole behind the striker and his best game (IMO) was against the shite at home when he dropped deeper. Literally controlled the tempo of the game.

I agree. He just needs the brain. Thing is, he can do everything and more that pogba does with the ball, if he became half as good as Barry without it - then that's a proper world class player.

It's not a realistic expectation tho, it misunderstands that every player is different and matures differently. Some players are geniuses at 18 then fade (Fowler, Owen, Woodgate), others emerge much later (Les Ferdinand, Vardy). Are we really suggesting that Barkley has had enough time to 'come good', and we're getting to the point of saying he isn't good enough? Fans who give him shit don't understand football as far as I'm concerned, he's basically being pulled apart for not being the best player in the league, he needs wholehearted support not the gobshite garbage getting hurled at him. He has better stats for his age than Scholes ffs, what do people want??

I'm not sure why you've quoted me with that rant as it has very little baring in what I've said and you've taken what I said out of context and a totally different direction

I've not said he won't make it or turn into the player most hope I said I worry his mentality/brain won't develop as quickly as his ability has

I've never given the lad grief I've always hated the way the media and fans jump all over young players especially our own, I rate the lad very highly I'm just not pinning my hopes on him becoming a top tier/nigh on world class player

Edited by EFC-Paul

Opponents know how to frustrate Barkley now. They cut out his forward passing lanes and he does not know what to do. Invariably he goes backwards or occasionally might take a shot.

I would tell Barkley to shoot on sight, pressurising the goalkeeper into making a save should cause a defender to eventually step out to block further shots. No team is going to let him take 4 or 5 stabs at goal.

We have a few players like Ross in our team. Good players but just not quite good enough to take apart a dogged defence and it's no surprise that we get our best results against teams that like to try and attack us.

I completely agree. You want him breaking forward into space, behind the ball rather than with his back to goal. He is the player you want to transition the defence to attack dragging the team up the pitch and counter attacking. I agree with MC in that he should play in midfield. He isn't good enough defensively at the moment, but make him good enough. I think it is more about having the desire to defend properly rather than anything else that holds him back. His style would have fitted perfectly with Leicester or West Ham last season playing on the counter so often.

I still wouldnt sell him for any money. He is a blue through and through, he is good enough to play for the first team and its players like him that we should be keeping hold of, they are the heart of our club.

He powers forward now, and has been for a while but he has the problem of having no final result. Dribbles into a dead end and loses the ball, he can't pass and can't tackle so he shouldn't be anywhere near deep midfield.

Best place for him is on the bench, he should have been sold in summer..