IGNORED

Ross Barkley

From the highlights I've seen from yesterday's game he looks good on the ball and eager going forward and always looking to have a shot but working back he looks lazy or maybe not wise enough positionally - I think this is the reason he is out on loan rather than helping to ease our shortage in the cm position.

http://www.owlstalk....180269-barkley/

Seems like most of 'm are already changing their opinions of him.

Got talking to two blokes sat in front of me yesterday.

Both were scouts for Reading and Arsenal.

There were there for barkley, said they had watched him for the last 12 months and we aint seen nothing yet

Interesting if true..

I am a Wednesday Fan but my dad is a massive Evertonian so was delighted when we signed Barkley. I have seen him play in every game so far and compared to the rest of our squad at the moment I would say he has done really well. Unfortunately some of our fans seem to expect the lad to be beating five or ten players and banging it in the back of the net everytime he gets the ball for them to be satisfied. He is probably just use to playing with a team that can actually pass the ball ten yards out of the defense. He has been composed on the ball, rarely gives it away and can really play a pass. Fingers crossed we can keep hold of him for a bit longer to help us move up the table a bit.

I am a Wednesday Fan but my dad is a massive Evertonian so was delighted when we signed Barkley. I have seen him play in every game so far and compared to the rest of our squad at the moment I would say he has done really well. Unfortunately some of our fans seem to expect the lad to be beating five or ten players and banging it in the back of the net everytime he gets the ball for them to be satisfied. He is probably just use to playing with a team that can actually pass the ball ten yards out of the defense. He has been composed on the ball, rarely gives it away and can really play a pass. Fingers crossed we can keep hold of him for a bit longer to help us move up the table a bit.

Hi mate.

I knew there had to be a Sheffield Wed fan out there somewhere.laugh.png

Welcome to the board, and err ... hands off our nest egg. shaking fist.png He's going to City in the summer for 5 billion gazookas. happy.png

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the big teams come in for him he has certainly got talent.

I'd like to see him doing it for Everton in a few years if I am honest though. Seems a waste for him to get splinters with Rodwell.

I have never seen a lad grab the ball so quickly for a penalty. Dave Jones hasn't brought him to sit on our bench like some are suggesting on Owlstalk. Hopefully he can do us a job against Wolves saturday because I think he is cup tied tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I know that Barkley is the best recent import from our academy right now and I know he's a midfielder and that he's on loan to Sheffield Wednesday, but that just about is all I know. So I'm hoping you guys could give me some more information.

- What kind of player is he? Any guys he could be compared to?

- How long is he on loan to the Owls and how much of his contract are they paying/what fee (if any) did they pay to take him on loan?

- What is the general consensus on when he will be ready to contribute to the senior team?

As an aside, what the hell happened to Jose Baxter? He was one of the top guys in the academy last I checked and now I find out he was let go on a free and is in league one?

Thanks guys.

I haven't got much to go off but in general Barkey plays behind the striker with his biggest strength is probably his vision and threading the ball through, he can beat his man as well and has a good shot on him.

I've no idea about fees/wages. His loan contract length is only a month, but it can be renewed.

It depends on his development, if he improves his defensive decision making he'll soon be in the team. If he's not ready for the prem by x-mas I'd expect him to be loaned back out for the remainder of the season.

Baxter was offered a new contract, but at a lower rate. He opted to leave on a free and joined Oldham where he is doing well and their fans are impressed and he was their motm in their last game "Baxter was lively throughout , you can see he has the confidence in his ability & he was our only goal threat."

I haven't got much to go off but in general Barkey plays behind the striker with his biggest strength is probably his vision and threading the ball through, he can beat his man as well and has a good shot on him.

I've no idea about fees/wages. His loan contract length is only a month, but it can be renewed.

It depends on his development, if he improves his defensive decision making he'll soon be in the team. If he's not ready for the prem by x-mas I'd expect him to be loaned back out for the remainder of the season.

Baxter was offered a new contract, but at a lower rate. He opted to leave on a free and joined Oldham where he is doing well and their fans are impressed and he was their motm in their last game "Baxter was lively throughout , you can see he has the confidence in his ability & he was our only goal threat."

Thanks for the info. So then would Barkley be classified as a #10 type of player?

Interesting about Baxter. So what is the fanbase's opinion of that situation? Was it a mistake to let him go or is it just the unfortunate reality of his situation and what he was demanding?

Thanks for the info. So then would Barkley be classified as a #10 type of player?

Interesting about Baxter. So what is the fanbase's opinion of that situation? Was it a mistake to let him go or is it just the unfortunate reality of his situation and what he was demanding?

You're welcome, hopefully someone else on here will be able to offer you a little more information.

I haven't seen enough to give a more informed opinion. Going forward he's seems to have it all, and could end up being credited with his own style. It's hard to pick a player to compare him to, maybe Ballack for his composure and passing, and to a lesser extent Totti for his flair.

We offered Baxter a contract, so the club must have still saw some potential still there, but he must not have progressed at the rate they were hoping. Baxter knew he weren't going to get many chances in the first team so left to help his development. If he does well I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back here.

i watched Barkley play a lot for the young lions and one of the best comments i ever heard to describe him was " Thats a bit of a mishit pass from Barkely but luckily it went straight to his team mates feet" reply " trust me i have been watching Barkley for a few years and that was no mishit, he does things that others struggle to be on the same wavelengh"

The guy is not ready for our first team yet butmis benefiting from playing for the Owls. he needs to up his pressence in games by either working harder, or making more of an impact when he has the ball.

Skill wise he is an absolute world class "potential"

Wants the ball all the time and is confident to recieve it.

He is on a youth loan contract with Wednesday, so they can only loan him for a month at a time. They can however renew this each month.

I am keeping a close eye on his progress at the Owls and he seems to be winning the fans over after a shaky start.

I guess that he wasn't selected for U21s because he wasn't playing first team football. He should be selected for the U20s world cup next summer as long as his loan spell with SWFC goes well. He's improving with every game and he should stand out within a couple of months, him and Bothroyd already are the most skillful players but lack a bit of match fitness which is holding them back a little.

Ye strange one though.

When he wasnt playing he gets picked, then just off the back of a months loan at the Owls which is the best run of first team games he has ever had, he misses out.

Hopefully you are right and it could be due to match fitness. I am just hoping that his progress isnt slowing too much.

I guess that he wasn't selected for U21s because he wasn't playing first team football. He should be selected for the U20s world cup next summer as long as his loan spell with SWFC goes well. He's improving with every game and he should stand out within a couple of months, him and Bothroyd already are the most skillful players but lack a bit of match fitness which is holding them back a little.

How did it feel when Hull gave you the boot Phil? wink.png

Brown and his Hull players once had a 'famous' incident where they talked down a jumper from The Humber Bridge a year or two ago, a notorious suicide hotspot apparently. I just wondered what words were said to encourage him to come down, but in all seriousness, they have to be applauded for their efforts.

You can almost imagine a similar scenario at one of our recent darkest times when Moyes and Kenwright were seen trying to talk someone down from the top of The Liver building or something.

Brown and his Hull players once had a 'famous' incident where they talked down a jumper from The Humber Bridge a year or two ago, a notorious suicide hotspot apparently. I just wondered what words were said to encourage him to come down, but in all seriousness, they have to be applauded for their efforts.

You can almost imagine a similar scenario at one of our recent darkest times when Moyes and Kenwright were seen trying to talk someone down from the top of The Liver building or something.

Yeah, I can imagine Moyes shouting "Get ya sen doon from thar yer theevin Scoose barstard".