IGNORED

Ross Barkley

its all about confidence with him. He's not an intelligent player but he can spot and make a cutting pass "if" he looks up.

He's got so many options at his feet - dribble, pass, shoot, of which he is good at all of them.

Agree, and as has been mentioned, chances are he's looked worse than he is because he was poorly managed

It's self confidence not his footballing brain that's off.

As a teenager Ross was known for being light years ahead.

His problem has been since he broke his leg, he trys way to hard to impress and it stifles him.

We will see Ross take a giant step very soon.

To me Barkley has to be used as an attacking player, little in the way of defensive responsibility, given freedom to roam and do what comes naturally. I've never seen him as a box-to-box player, it would be like trying to turn Ronaldhino into Gerrard. His strengths are dribbling and shooting - use them.

To me Barkley has to be used as an attacking player, little in the way of defensive responsibility, given freedom to roam and do what comes naturally. I've never seen him as a box-to-box player, it would be like trying to turn Ronaldhino into Gerrard. His strengths are dribbling and shooting - use them.

Gerrards strengths were dribbling and shooting too, I'd say Ross is more like Gerrard than Ronaldinho.

The problem with trying to dribble and shoot when you are 30 yards from goal is having nowhere to dribble. If your starting point is ten yards further back you have somewhere to go, a bit of space to play with, to run into, to drag defenders out of position. Just my thoughts anyway.

I think we will see Ross on more free kicks next season. Our manager was a master at them - any type a curler or an alan stubbs "smash".

I think Barkley can do the latter - watch Koemans goal against Sampdoria in the European Cup Final - it was the player rolls it to another who stops it and koeman leathers it. Loads of variation but our manager had a wand of a right peg - I dare say he could still show the likes of baines and co how its done.

I think we will see Ross on more free kicks next season. Our manager was a master at them - any type a curler or an alan stubbs "smash".

I think Barkley can do the latter - watch Koemans goal against Sampdoria in the European Cup Final - it was the player rolls it to another who stops it and koeman leathers it. Loads of variation but our manager had a wand of a right peg - I dare say he could still show the likes of baines and co how its done.

Barkley will have to remember how to not hit the first man to start with.

Yeah I think Gerry is our best bet for set pieces.

I'd have a load of players on set-pieces before Barkley.

Geri

Mirallas

Cleverley

Baines

Barry

Gibson

Edit - plus, I'd rather have him lurking on the edge of the box for any loose balls that could drop to him so he could have a shot at goal.

Edited by Romey 1878

Gerrards strengths were dribbling and shooting too, I'd say Ross is more like Gerrard than Ronaldinho.

The problem with trying to dribble and shoot when you are 30 yards from goal is having nowhere to dribble. If your starting point is ten yards further back you have somewhere to go, a bit of space to play with, to run into, to drag defenders out of position. Just my thoughts anyway.

Gerrard was a beast in the tackle who could play the DM role as well as anyone, bar always wanting to charge down the other end to shoot all the time. I don't really think he was a 'dribbler' either - he had the power and pace to burst past people, but not the trickery and fast feet to take on two or three. Plus, could you ever in a million years see Barkley playing right back? Very different players imo.

They may be very different players but Barkley is not the trickster that Ronaldinho was. They are no where near each other in terms of style. But you mentioned Ronaldinho and Gerrard, not me.

Gerrard was great in the tackle, but the lad was scoring 20 goals a season. He was clearly a force going forward. I think you doubt his dribbling skills, his initial bust of pace would often get him past two or three players, and if not he won the free kick.

I don't see how you can say that Barkley and Gerrard are so different when at the same time implying Barkley and Ronaldinho are similar.

So he was in a club with some strippers on the ale? Or Koeman told the other players their position but told him he can do what he likes?

I'm thinking you mean he played behind the striker? Also thinking you never saw a game Ronaldinho played in either ?

Don't be ridiculous Steve I'm 35 of course I've watched Ronaldinho...

And I didn't mean anything by it. Just a silly throw away wind up.

And I still think Barkley would be better as a free spirit given license to embarrass defenders in any way he sees fit. Because from what I've seen of his grasp of the tactical and defensive side of the game, I just don't think he is that great at it. That's where the comparison came from, ridiculous or not.

A certain Mr. Hodgson could've done with a player capable of that the Euro's...

The likes of hodgson, moyes, warnock will no doubt pipe up about the "penny dropping" when this lad shows the world class talent that we know he has. Dinosaurs.

Martinez went too liberal with him. He needed responsibility not Carte blanche to do whatever he felt like. He looked far too weighty.. not fat. I don't expect to see him turn into James Mccarthy and fly into tackles but I do expect him to use his pace and size to run and close players forcing them to get rid.

I think koeman will strike the right balance with him. He played alongside stoichkov- mega talented but had a bit of fire about him... which he needed as Romario was a lazy bastard but deadly.

Haf I actually think Martinez went the other way with him and over-burdened him with a load of tactical psycho-babble that he just doesn't need. The lad needs ball to feet, turn to face goal and go. He's shite defensively so why waste time and talent?

Haf I actually think Martinez went the other way with him and over-burdened him with a load of tactical psycho-babble that he just doesn't need. The lad needs ball to feet, turn to face goal and go. He's shite defensively so why waste time and talent?

Doesn't have to be good defensively. Just at least use his size and pace to track and hustle.

Martinez I believe just never gave him any relevant instructions. Just go and play. He was aimless at times.

The players went lazy under Martinez due to the poor man management and the lack of motivation... the players didn't want to play for him and stopped putting the effort in... Ross went to the Euros and lost 1 stone whilst he was there just from being given proper training sessions and fitness work... I expect to see a completely different side next season

Doesn't have to be good defensively. Just at least use his size and pace to track and hustle.

Martinez I believe just never gave him any relevant instructions. Just go and play. He was aimless at times.

I agree. He just has to do a job defensively. Whether he wasn't given a job to do or whether he simply he didn't do what was asked of him, I don't know. I do know he's going to have to do better defensively next season (and not just defensively).

The players went lazy under Martinez due to the poor man management and the lack of motivation... the players didn't want to play for him and stopped putting the effort in... Ross went to the Euros and lost 1 stone whilst he was there just from being given proper training sessions and fitness work... I expect to see a completely different side next season

Did he lose weight???

I was scoffed at last year for suggesting he was carrying too much Hollywood muscle.

I only know from amateur league myself I was a rapid 11st 7lb winger. Within 2 years I was 14st 7lb but whilst I was ripped and lean I just had no acceleration or ability to get my breathe on the pitch. The muscle soaks up the oxygen and it's difficult.

For the record I'm now 17st 7lb.... footy days are well over!

I agree to some extent there nogs. I think he over burdened him with tactics at times, but I think he gave him too much freedom at times too. Or maybe not too much freedom, but maybe not enough coaching. We all saw times where we thought beat that man and get your shot away, but he would then play across the box and slow it down. I think he'll really blossom under Koeman. Even just that one quote about not wanting the full back to pass to the keeper, he wants two forward options. He wants the ball moving forward quickly. I didn't see the game yesterday but caught up on Twitter. One journalist saying he saw more balls played down the side of the full back in the first 45 minutes than he has seen in the last three years. I think we'll be playing 100mph this season, you have Ross running at defenders full pace with a winger either side, it'll be electric!