IGNORED

Ross Barkley

He's definitely bulked up but that may have been on the advice he was given. Don't get knocked off the ball to easily and shit like that.

Let's be honest none of the players looked fit when Martinez was here we lost far to many games in the final 10 minutes and do we all believe it was down to lack of concentration every time? Surely fitness was a factor aswell.

Barkley hasn't had a good enough season. He's not playing and at the moment rightly so. Can you honestly say you'd have Barkley in ahead of Alli atm? Barkley slows the game down far too much.

Scored more goals and had more assists than ever before this season, I also believe he created the most goal scoring chances for us this season.

After Christmas he was poor, but that was due to the team being poor and him having loss of confidence.

would have started Ali ahead of him for the first two games, but he should be light years ahead of Wiltshire in Woys selection, who was shit for the Slovakia game.

Edited by London Blue

Whereas wilshire just hasnt played. Henderson isnt fit and lacks quality.

Barkley can make a difference where teams park the bus with direct running.

His direct running would work better against teams that don't park the bus. When teams have a compact and deep defensive block, the manager should be hammering home that the team positions itself well. Positioning and structure was a much bigger problem than a lack of direct running for England.

His direct running would work better against teams that don't park the bus. When teams have a compact and deep defensive block, the manager should be hammering home that the team positions itself well. Positioning and structure was a much bigger problem than a lack of direct running for England.

When they have 7 men in the box hes guaranteed to get them out to stop penno fouls opening up gaps.

Whereas wilshire just hasnt played. Henderson isnt fit and lacks quality.

Barkley can make a difference where teams park the bus with direct running.

I agree with you Haf but that's Hodgsons mistake, but just because he makes 2 mistakes doesn't mean he's OK to make 3.

I never expected him to be selected but we have no quality English midfielders so they are probably the best of a bad bunch.

When they have 7 men in the box hes guaranteed to get them out to stop penno fouls opening up gaps.

When they have two lines of four (or a line of four and a line of five or whatever) in front of the box, he's going to have to dribble past two or three players just to create an opening for a shot or a cross. Running at people works best when there's space to run at people. You have to rely on structure against a compact block.

Hazard for example has the same problem playing for Belgium. Because we lack offensive structure, when he gets the ball he has two or three defenders on him, which just isn't manageable.

Edited by Steve_E

Im glad Barkley hasnt had a chance at the Euros, his confidence looks knocked enough as it is. im hoping he has a great season this season under Koeman.

Im glad Barkley hasnt had a chance at the Euros, his confidence looks knocked enough as it is. im hoping he has a great season this season under Koeman.

You must be glad!

He's very confidence based. As soon as he takes a knock mentally, it effects his whole game. He needs to toughen up and stop listening to others opinions, get his head down and have self belief.

He's very confidence based. As soon as he takes a knock mentally, it effects his whole game. He needs to toughen up and stop listening to others opinions, get his head down and have self belief.

There's that, but we as supporters have our part to play and, when someone does start jumping in and getting on his case, get them to shut the fuck up and bitch about it with their mates rather than hurling abuse at a young lad who loves his club

• 4 weeks later...

I admit to having been very disappointed in and critical of Barkley last season. I subscribe to the idea that he doesn't (yet?) have a good football brain. And I'm not the only one on TT who's grumped about Barkley's not-good football brain.

So here's what seems to me a logical question: is there a difference between a football brain and instinct? Does Barkley have an undeveloped or mediocre football brain but nevertheless excellent instincts?

I admit to having been very disappointed in and critical of Barkley last season. I subscribe to the idea that he doesn't (yet?) have a good football brain. And I'm not the only one on TT who's grumped about Barkley's not-good football brain.

So here's what seems to me a logical question: is there a difference between a football brain and instinct? Does Barkley have an undeveloped or mediocre football brain but nevertheless excellent instincts?

On pure instinct, he is one of the greatest footballers in the world. I wish we could bring someone like Scholes in to teach him what to do when he's got time on the ball. It's crazy that he does better with 2 men on him closing down, than one who stands off.

Having watched him for a while, I don't think he got the vision to create enough opening passes, rather he dwells on the ball too much and tries to make runs through the middle way too often or shoot from distance. It's not bad though, but I would appreciate if he learns to be a heartbeat playmaker instead of being pure attacking midfielder.