IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home)

marcopaulo

(will stick a match preview here as soon as i can find one)

Speaking to the Enemy

1/ Mcleish was seen as a strange appointment by many including myself..

what do you guys think about a rivals ex-manager taking over and also one with a record that doesn't stand out?

ak47deol: Yes it came as a complete shock to all Villa fans aswel however he done a decent job at Blues whilst not having much money and did win a cup with them. He did get them relegated but surely that makes his C.V more impressive to us Villa fans lol. I think if us fans are patient enough i think AM can take us forward and bring us some success

Skyba: Well it was a shock and I wasn't happy but at the same time I think he is doing well considering the board keep making his job harder and harder by the day.

avstu: It is no secret that he wasn't our first choice and also given the situation with Small Heath, not one any of us welcomed. However, the core of the Villa faithful have just got on with things and got behind him. After all he's only a manager and as you see in football they come and go all the time.

alanavfc: Wouldnt of been anyones first choice of manager, although having had time to get used to the idea, we could have done alot worse, as some will tell you on here, i wasnt against this, not for it either, but seen the logic behind him being the choice of the board. he is a winner, and seems to have already made a positive start and has the players on side early on, thats a management trait we have lacked in recent times, especially with O'leary, O'neill and Houllier.

holte ender#: I was convinced that when talk of this broke it was all nonsense and people were over-reacting...turns out I was wrong. I wasn't pleased and as you could probably tell everybody else felt the same but now he's here we can only get behind him. I see no point in sulking and not showing up for games from now on, our feelings have been shown and well...passed on. He can't be that bad anyway, he won a cup with the scum

2/ Danger men - who should we be looking out for and who are you worried about?

ak47deol: Well you need to be wary of Darren Bent as he can be quiet all game but all he needs is one chance and he will usually score from it.

Your main threat is always Cahill as he is always popping up with goals from everywhere however im sure i heard that he hasnt scored since Jan but people do usually end their scoring records against us

Skyba: I think gabby is our danger man at the minute he's on form and looking sharp.

It's hard to say who I'd be worried about due to your start to the season but you can never look past the likes of cahill and artetta when he's fit imo artetta is a class above the rest in your squad.

avstu: Gabby Agbonlahor has had a very good start to the season and looks a new player. In terms of Everton you can never turn a blind eye to Tim Cahill.

alanavfc: Gabby Agbonlahor seems to have slotted in nicely on the left, his power and pace could be a problem for you guys, dare i say Heskey? he looks a different player in recent games.

At the time of writing theres talk of Arteta going to Arsenal... so your danger man would have to be Cahill, not many better in the air from set pieces imo

holte ender#: Gabby Agbonlahor is on form of late and Bent always provides a goal threat. I'm worried about Cahill, always seems to score.

3/ If you could swap for 3 of our players, who would they be and who would you send to us?

ak47deol: Well i would take Baines as i think he is on the best LB's in the league. Good at set pieces aswel. Warnock the other way..Ross Barkley although he is raw young talent he does seem like he can go on and become a big star of the future. Petrov the other way..Phil Neville i think is still quality and has great leadership skills which we do not have at the Villa. Versatile and hard worker. Beye the other way

Skyba: I'd take artetta cahill and howard as we need back up for given if he gets injured and I'd give you heskey, petrov and habib beye

avstu: Mikel Arteta, Phil Jagielka and Feillini - All quality players, just a shame with the circumstances at Everton that I think it is a matter of time before you lose these. If I was being harsh I would send you Habib Beye, Emile Heskey and possibly James Collins. If it was to Improve Everton, without a doubt I believe Darren Bent as its clear as daylight you need a new striker. I think Gabby could always do a job for you on the wing aswell.

alanavfc: Baines, Jagielka and Arteta swap for Warnock, Dunne and Ireland... nice and easy like for like changes.

holte ender#: Erm....I'd send you Beye, Heskey and Dunne. For us, I'd get Jagielka, Baines and Fellaini.

4/ Are you happy with how the transfer window has gone? Obviously losing the likes of young and downing will hurt you but you have made some decent signings..n'zogbia the stand out one to me..

ak47deol: Well you can not be happy with the transfer window if you are a Villa fan as we have just lost 2 of our stars from last season even if we did know that Young would be on his way. N'Zogbia hopefully can take Downings spot and Marc Albrighton to take Youngs. We also had a few players who had been taken out the equation under previous management so we have a few more players back in the fold. Although ideally we would like to see a minimum of 2 faces in before the window closes.

Skyba: Not at all we've let far too many players leave yes some not really high quality but when the squad starts to get as small as ours these fringe players would have been more useful than they were.

avstu: N'Zogbia wasnt my first choice but its all about supporting what you have in front of you. Of cource I would have liked another winger and maybe a center half but its just a case of getting on with what we have.

alanavfc: this transfer window has been the hardest i remember for a long time, we will miss Ashley Young much more than some people make out imo, he has already proved in his short time at utd what he can do, its just a shame he didnt show that for the last 18 or so months at villa. BUT i dont anyone can say they are happy with the way this window has gone, far far too many people let go, most for free or next to nothing and only a couple of replacements, just not good enough if we are to progress.

holte ender#: This guy torn us up at Villa park and I wanted him ever since, great signing. Young was always leaving, we knew ages before he actually left and Downing can choke on king fanny's splurge! We've now signed Hutton...solid signing and Jenas is well, time will tell but a solid signing with potential. Can only look upwards.

5/ There was a lot of concentration on youth at villa last year and seen by some as a reason for such a poor season..do you agree? are you happy that youth was given such a big chance?

ak47deol: Well we have lost youth in the past and then they have gone on and become good players like Cahill. I think the best thing for us is to atleast give the youth a chance and see if they can cut it in this league. We have a good mix as players like Given, Dunne, Warnock, Petrov, Heskey, Bent can provide the experience for the younger lads. Teams simply can not keep going out and buying talent from clubs around the world when kids are coming through the ranks as you lads must know about.

Skyba: I'm happy the youth is being given a chance but I think we're now beginning to put too much pressure on them and we're going to rely on them heavily this season which in my opinion could see us in the bottom 3 come the end of the season.

avstu: I dont think youth was given as big a chance as you say last year. I think this is the year you will see the Villa Youth make or break there Aston Villa careers. The reason we had a poor season was because of the disruption amongst players and lack of respect towards the management. One thing this club needs is stability and hopefully we have this now.

alanavfc: no i dont agree that the youth was a reason for our poor season, from the moment O'neill walked out days before the season started it put us the back foot, shortly after we lost Milner, IMO our best and most important player, Kevin McDonald then took over and used the kids in a system they knew and we started OK, newcastle game aside, but then Houllier came in and changed far to much, alienated key players, then just when it seemed he turned a corner he had health problems and yet another man - Gary Mac had to try and continue and in fairness we ended the season well.

The Aston Villa youth system is one of the best in the country, in recent years we have dominated at youth and reserve level, so its a natural progression for them to step up and i think this season and maybe next we will see more of the kids at villa and with the proper management and stable enviroment they should come through nicely.

holte ender#: Big season for them last year and even this year really. Albrighton and Bannan excite me hugely as well as Clark...they'll be in our starting 11 some time from now mark my words! I'm glad they were given the chance as it's given us a new hope for our future (until sheik citeh comes in with a £1 billion bid!) I'm looking forward to seeing them again this year and how they'll gel in with the others.

6/ Everton haven't had the best of starts performance wise so how do you fancy your chances at goodison and what do you think the score will be?

ak47deol: Well i dont think anyone expected Everton to start off well as you always start poorly but finish well. I still hope it will be a few more weeks till you finally get going so we can pick up 3 points. Will be a tough game like always however i am going for a 2-1 villa Bent and Gabby to score

Skyba: Personally as things stand I fancy our chances but think it'll be very close but think we'll nick it 1-0 although our games against you are usually very exciting and usually throws up some surprises.

avstu: Everton is a fixture I always look forward to as I compare your club as most alike to ours. I also have a lot of respect for your club and in same ways feel sorry for the lack of funds the club has. However, you dont usually start to well to the season, but I would take a point right now.

alanavfc: Goodison is never an easy place to go, i dont expect an easy game no matter what form you are in, more so for the fact we dont really know the kind of form we are in, we have had a indifferent start imo, although unbeaten, we have hardly stormed out the traps. i predict a draw, and i will be happy with that point.

holte ender#: I do actually, no dis-respect but this early on you're usually at half pace so I'd say 2-1 or 1-0 Villa. After typing this SSN report Arteta has signed for Arsenal, unlucky mate we know the feeling of losing your best player.

Thanks to the guys on avillafan.com for the answers smile.png a guy asked if we would return the favour and i said we'd be happy to as we are such a helpful bunch! although he's been warned it's not the happiest place wink.png

Edited by marcopaulo

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go with a 2-1 win for the toffee's.

The International break is much needed for us at the moment, time for a bit more training with the team and time to get the 2 new guys involved with the squad before throwing them in at the deep end. Hopefully we can up our game from the utter shite of the first 2 games.

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

Fellaini

Barkley Osman Drenthe

Cahill

Saha

Not sure when Cahill gets back from Australia, hopefully in plenty of time, if he can't play I'd bring Rodwell in and push Osman forward.

Traca to come on when Saha starts getting tired in the second half.

Goals from Barkley and Denis "Traca" Stracqualursi who will come on for a big 20 minute debut! (think possitive)

Bent will probably score for them

That is a great post mate. I never thought you could do it without a swear word involvedrofl.gif

Seriously Marco that was an excellent post. Well done and thanks to the Villa fans who responded so honestly.

i've made a few posts on there now..not sworn once! got that out of my system on the drenthe thread before :lol:

My guess at our starting line up would be : Howard, Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Fellaini, Heitinga, Barkley, Cahill, Saha

The bench being: Mucha, Hibbert, Rodwell, Bilyaletdinov, Drenthe, Anichebe, Stracqualursi

I'm not being ambitious with that lineup, I think whether we're winning or losing Barkley will come off between 60-70 minutes and either Drenthe or Anichebe will come on. Saha will get subbed shortly after, possibly of Stracq, and finally Bily will come on for Heitinga.

If we play well, we may win 2-1, but they'll definitely score so I predict 1-1. If we have a bad day, and they a good un, we'll lose 2-0.

I can't wait until Maggie and Seamus are fit again, Coleman more importantly. If Drenthe is a duck to water on the left midfield, with Coleman on the right I think we'll have real speed on the wings.

Lot of If's mind.....

Go for it Davie boy, just bloody go for it, three up top for starters with the Strac in the middle, Roy on the left, Ossie right and a midfield of Felli, Barkley, Rodders, we ain't got a hope playing just one up top, don't forget Villas manager will come and be defensive so get at em early, bang yer chest out and inspire the troops, by Christ we need it!wink.png

Let's get behind the team for this one. They'll know how the fans feel about events and lack of them in the transfer window so hope they won't let us down. Hope the international break works in our favour and they come back ready for the battle!

This is very important now!

Go for it Davie boy, just bloody go for it, three up top for starters with the Strac in the middle, Roy on the left, Ossie right and a midfield of Felli, Barkley, Rodders, we ain't got a hope playing just one up top, don't forget Villas manager will come and be defensive so get at em early, bang yer chest out and inspire the troops, by Christ we need it!wink.png

I would love to see us trying something crazy with attitude someday.

Im still positive, it will be crackling game which gonna end 3-2 for us hoping to see both new boys scoring with Barkley or Saha.

For Lex.

How many Everton fans will know that Everton football clubs nickname was originally “The Black Watch” ? Well it goes way back to when the football club was formed, in those days shirt colours were not very well regulated and all sorts of colours were worn. In order to solve this problem Everton decided to dye their football shirts black with a red diagonal stripe to add a bit of colour. The resultant shirt was similar to the Black Watch uniform of the Highland Regiment so their first nickname was born.

Everton of course eventually changed to a royal blue football kit and an obvious nickname followed – The Blues, they are still known as this but their most commonly accepted nickname is The Toffees.

We've shown below a couple of cigarette cards that depict the football clubs accepted "Toffees" nickname in caricature form.

evertonguess.jpg

The one above is from a series of football cigarette cards issued by Sweetule products in 1959, the text on the back of which reads;

"The Toffees. This name is derived from the Everton toffee which was originally made by Mrs Noblett from a shop in the district of Everton. She was adopted as the mascot in the early days and is to-day regarded as a symbol of the Everton team"

Despite the above there are still several explanations exist why the Toffees nickname came to be, firstly it could be because there was a house called Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House near the Queen's Head hotel in which the club originally held meetings.

In fact the shop above was actually referenced on the cigarette card below which was issued by Ogdens.

evertonnickname.jpg

The text on the back of the card read;

"This famous club started in 1878 as St Domingo, the name being changed to Everton the following year. as the principal landmark of Everton village was "Ye Ancient Toffee House", it was not long before the sobriquet The Toffees was attached to the club. Adversity has not often came their way, but in 1929-30 they suffered relegation for the first and only time. By winning the 2nd Division in 1930-31, the First Division in 1931-32 and the FA Cup in 1932-33, they created a remarkable record. the first League Championship has been won four times in all and the FA Cup twice."

Another theory is that “Toffee” was also a slang reference for an Irishman, a large population of whom lived in the city at the turn of the century, supposedly these “Toffees” tended to favour Everton as their football team.

However, and added credence to by the cigarette cards is that the Toffees nickname came about because an lady called Old Ma Bushell used to sell large amounts of toffees on match days near Evertons old grounds, (Stanley Park, Priory Rd and Anfield!) however when they then moved to Goodison a toffee seller closer to the ground (Mother Nobletts) began getting all the business. This resulted in Ma Bushell gaining permission from the club to sell her Toffees inside the ground, hence the Toffees nickname and hence the tradition that still exists of a young girl dressed up in old fashioned clothes giving away Toffees on match days.

evertonpanini.jpg

The cartoon above is Paninis take on the Everton football nickname, this character was part of the Panini 86 sticker series. This sticker can be purchased on our Footybits site where it has been mounted in a clear fridge magnet.

Aww, still a week to wait this game. Im hoping more than ever that we will find that fighting Everton somehow and grab 3p.

Howard

Hibbo/Jags-Jags/Johnny-Distin-Baines

Barkley/Bily-Rodwell/Osman-Felli-Drenthe

Cahill/Bily

Stracqualursi

Right side is our problem now, at least defensively, Hibbo has been better than Nev there, but with this formation we cant get there any help from midfield. And villas Agbonlahor has seemed lively on those games ive been watching, hees been playing almost on left wing for them. I know Jags cant play full back, but i still wish he would surprise me in there, then we could put Johnny to pair Distin. Jags has also beem a bit vulnerable lately, but dont want to see him dropped. It would be a disaster for his self confidence. Probably we will just see Hibbo at right back and Nev at right mid. Those 2 doesnt play well together either, but i think Moyes sees them doing that better than other 2. Dropping Osman is one option, cause he has been quite a long way from hes best. Rodwell should get hes head back in business and start showing that he is some1 we need and who can play with that reputation what hes got. May be thats the problem with him, feets aint in a ground anymore.

I hope that Toffies aint getting a common nickname... it sounds.... so piss.gifcrying.gifwub.pngshaking%20fist.png gay.

And for Avin, nice read, but i dont have problems with Toffees, im using that very often when talking with other fans, that toffies just....

It's cool man. I think there is a little communication lost in translation somewhere along the line lol.