IGNORED

Liverpool (home)

adamsmith69

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do appreciate the honest answers. smile.png

It seems over the last season or so the faith in moyes has diminished so what.

I

Seems so... not sure why, like I said, IF they beat you at the weekend, they're above you with a game in hand! And folks are (generally) singing the praises of Liverpool.

Could be wrong but I just think they know they won't go down, but also know it's unlikely they will set the world alight either.

At least with Liverpool (rightly or wrongly) Kenny's whipped up some enthusiasm and there's optimism in the air.

Come the weekend, if Everton win, it'll all change - but if they lose, the fans will turn quickly. They do at ALL clubs, truth be told. esp if there's already a level of discontent to start with.

It's a derby - anything can happen!

It's nothing new...there's always been doubts over his tactics/selections in certain circumstances. Playing people out of position is probably the biggest gripe....Fellaini advanced, Osman wide, Heitinga in midfield for example. Substitutions are questionable at times also.

Seems so... not sure why, like I said, IF they beat you at the weekend, they're above you with a game in hand! And folks are (generally) singing the praises of Liverpool.

Could be wrong but I just think they know they won't go down, but also know it's unlikely they will set the world alight either.

At least with Liverpool (rightly or wrongly) Kenny's whipped up some enthusiasm and there's optimism in the air.

Come the weekend, if Everton win, it'll all change - but if they lose, the fans will turn quickly. They do at ALL clubs, truth be told. esp if there's already a level of discontent to start with.

It's a derby - anything can happen!

cos he's so negative...if we played bamber bridge at home he'd play 20 holding midfielders

and as for praise singin...tell you why that is mate..cos a lot of reds are unrealistic fuckwits who think they're gonna win the league cos they have 4 shots in a match..not sayin its all of them cos i have friends who are reds who realise they're miles behind the top teams..but a lot are stupid and pundits tend to tongue the ring piece of football that is liverpool

cos he's so negative...if we played bamber bridge at home he'd play 20 holding midfielders

and as for praise singin...tell you why that is mate..cos a lot of reds are unrealistic fuckwits who think they're gonna win the league cos they have 4 shots in a match..not sayin its all of them cos i have friends who are reds who realise they're miles behind the top teams..but a lot are stupid and pundits tend to tongue the ring piece of football that is liverpool

Your friends are right we are miles away from challenging let alone winning the league.

4th is the highest i see us going and that will be a tough fight.

I think it's ALL too early... City are doing well - but they'll come unstuck soon enough - Daglish is a legend, but he's not a miracle worker - Everton can play a bit - he just needs to let them. We're 5 or 6 games in and pundits reckon it's a 2 horse race and Chelsea MIGHT there abouts. It's just too early by far.

And with the number of games these days, stuff goes wild after xmas, when the shallow squads get injuries / tired, or the top teams start getting distracted with Europe.

I'm just not sure you can tell much from the games so far... even the 'invincible' United slipped up.

The only thing with Everton that might worry me if I supported them... was second half of the season, and folks are carrying knocks and there's not much depth to the squad.. many a good team have found themselves 3-4 points off the drop zone all of a sudden. If you're not up in that top 3rd by xmas, the bottom 2/3 gets quite compressed, and some big name teams start getting twitchy.

Liverpool can tell you all about that from last year!... it doesn't take much before you actually wondering if the 'impossible' is possible! And bloody Blackburn and Wolves start going on winning streaks haha...

Can't see it happening to Everton mind you, I think you're 100% top 8, poss top 6... but you just never know in this game

What Liverpool have going for them, as do Man U... is mental attitude.

Not sure about Everton's strength in that area, but I don't think it's quite at the same level.

Bit off topic, but that's City's problem too. We don't have the 'winning mentality'. We now have individuals who have it, but not as a team. It's twice as good as it used to be, but miles short of Liverpool and United (and Chelsea for that matter). I reckon it can add a good 25-30% onto a team sometimes.

If Liverpool do get 4th, I would say it's that mentality that will get them there over Spurs. 'Cos on paper - I'd possibly favour Spurs.

And don't put it past City to drop off... for all the names and strength in depth, we're still on the edge of top 4, not firmly established. It only takes an exit from Champions League (likely) and a few dodgy results on the trot... 3 or 4th place and Mancini will be under pressure, and players coming out in the press etc etc.

It's ALL to play for!

I

Moyes was fun at first but he is boring now, and people are bored of him, his negative tactics, drive everybody nuts, and like Mike said the square pegs in round holes is a big bug bare for many fans. My main grip is probably selections/substitutions, we had 3 strikers on the bench against City, how the hell must any of them feel confidence-wise when they see 2 midfielders playing in the team, in their positions, it must be very demoralising, especially for Vellios(young and hungry) and Denis(new signing, eager to impress) it drives me insane at the best of times shaking%20fist.png i dont find him the most media friendly manager either at times, and the media is such a major part of the game these days, and his assistant Steve Round winds people up as well as none of us can actually see what it is he is contributing to anything, it could be that with all the Kenwright nonsense thats gone on recently, that maybe its just time to wipe the slate clean, but its all so very complicated as things with Everton usually aredoh.gif

Moyes was fun at first but he is boring now, and people are bored of him, his negative tactics, drive everybody nuts, and like Mike said the square pegs in round holes is a big bug bare for many fans. My main grip is probably selections/substitutions, we had 3 strikers on the bench against City, how the hell must any of them feel confidence-wise when they see 2 midfielders playing in the team, in their positions, it must be very demoralising, especially for Vellios(young and hungry) and Denis(new signing, eager to impress) it drives me insane at the best of times shaking%20fist.png i dont find him the most media friendly manager either at times, and the media is such a major part of the game these days, and his assistant Steve Round winds people up as well as none of us can actually see what it is he is contributing to anything, it could be that with all the Kenwright nonsense thats gone on recently, that maybe its just time to wipe the slate clean, but its all so very complicated as things with Everton usually aredoh.gif

I see what you are getting at it was some what the same for me when Rafa would play players out of position.

But i feel Moyes is the right man at the moment what is really needed is a cash injection, so players can be brought in with out selling as the one thing i think that holds Everton back over the years has been a large enough squad to cope with the league and progressing to later rounds of cups as when there is a few injury's it really shows.

Moyes was fun at first but he is boring now, and people are 'I am' bored of him, his negative tactics, drive everybody 'me' nuts, and like Mike said the square pegs in round holes is a big bug bare for many fans 'me'. My main grip is probably selections/substitutions, we had 3 strikers on the bench against City, how the hell must any of them feel confidence-wise when they see 2 midfielders playing in the team, in their positions, it must be very demoralising, especially for Vellios(young and hungry) and Denis(new signing, eager to impress) it drives me insane at the best of times shaking%20fist.png i dont find him the most media friendly manager either at times, and the media is such a major part of the game these days, and his assistant Steve Round winds people up as well as none of us can actually see what it is he is contributing to anything, it could be that with all the Kenwright nonsense thats gone on recently, that maybe its just time to wipe the slate clean, but its all so very complicated as things with Everton usually aredoh.gif

I strongly disagree and sentence you to 10 minutes in the naughty cupboard. shaking%20fist.png

I'm still behind Moyes 100% and I believe most fans are inclined to feel the same as a majority rather than a minority.

If fans think there is a better manager out there I'd sure like to know what his name is, and how many years he would be interested in running the club at the top end of the table for with zero funding.

Sometimes, it's not that someone's done a bad job - he's done a GREAT job.... it's just people like a change. And that might be the case with the fans vs Moyes / Kenwright?

I don't think there's many clubs when 100% of fans agree on an issue when their club hasn't won anything for some time.

Mancini is/isn't the right man, Moyes shrewd / stupid, Gerrard past it / the main man etc.

I agree that Moyes isn't the most media friendly. He's no Harry Rednapp that's for sure. he's not as 'classy' as Mancini (but before you start, Mancini doesn't actually SAY anything of note, and he's managing a currently winning team).

The reputation Moyes has is 'does wonders on a low budget' and to my mind - that says ALL the wrong things about a club like Everton.

It's not his fault - but when 'on a low budget' and 'with the players he has' gets added onto his list of qualities - it's not right. Everton are a big club - and SHOULD be talked about in the same way that Arsenal are (forgetting the past few weeks!), or the way United are etc... but the fact is, they aren't.

As it stands, the old stalwarts of United, Liverpool and Chelsea are the mainstay of talk. Man City the current 'fashion' team and Spuds 'the pundit's favourites'. Villa and Everton just aren't on the radar. Arsenal are just a media dream at the moment, for good or bad!.

It's Bill's job to get Everton back on people's lips... you don't have to be winning the league for that, just playing attractive football, giving 4th place a good go, and stopping Moyes from being negative in the media.

Moyes COULD have said on Saturday "tough game to play City at the moment, and I'm not one for having to be defensive, but in this instance we gave it a good go and it didn't pay off... looking forward to Liverpool next and we might just try the opposite approach and give 'em a real game".

It would win over a lot of people if he said that.

You have to admire old 'Arry's humourous approach when asked about Adebayour.... "Course the relationship is great - I've only had 'im two weeks... ask me after xmas!"

(Mancini could lighten up a bit too... and I don't mean his hair!)

And as for Kenny - he's a dry bugger... funny, but dry.

I don't think a cash injection for players is the way to go... where's it going to get Everton? it's not going to get then in the top 4 unless a miracle happens, so to what end the extra spending?

If more money went into the club, it needs to be spent on measures likely to improve their revenue and get them back on track. Probably new ground, or improvements. Sadly this is a MASSIVE cost, but probably better in the long run than a few marquee signings that could be hit and miss and will always depreciate in the long run.

Everton need to get their off field business at the same level as their competitors, THEN think about on the pitch. Cos it's that that is stopping anyone from buying the club in the first place... and it has loads of potential with a fan base that large and consistent.

Some fans are never content and don't realise when they have a good thing. I despair when I hear fans complaining about Moyes. I really do.

Think questioning some of his decisions is different from not being behind him/thinking he's the right man for the job.

Sure every supporter disagrees with what the manager does at times, whatever the club.

I don't think a cash injection for players is the way to go... where's it going to get Everton? it's not going to get then in the top 4 unless a miracle happens, so to what end the extra spending?

If more money went into the club, it needs to be spent on measures likely to improve their revenue and get them back on track. Probably new ground, or improvements. Sadly this is a MASSIVE cost, but probably better in the long run than a few marquee signings that could be hit and miss and will always depreciate in the long run.

Everton need to get their off field business at the same level as their competitors, THEN think about on the pitch. Cos it's that that is stopping anyone from buying the club in the first place... and it has loads of potential with a fan base that large and consistent.

The cash injection would stop them from having to sell there best players so investors / potential owners would take notice again.

Then the improvements that you have said can be looked into. There seems to be no money in the club at the moment (don't know the in's and out's) so just finding some money to invest in the playing staff could effect the off field problems in a massive way.

Edited by Redside

Think questioning some of his decisions is different from not being behind him/thinking he's the right man for the job.

Sure every supporter disagrees with what the manager does at times, whatever the club.

Moyes does not have a fair crack of the whip. He makes decisions based on what options he has available. If he ran Man City, and played negatively, we could have good ground to complain, but he has a team full of bargains, not superstars.

We don't know for sure what his intentions are, as he doesn't tell us, so we can but presume. I was fuming like the next guy when we went out of Europe to Porto, after playing defensively against a team we should have destroyed, but he got us there in the first place using what ever tactics he uses.

I often criticise him, but no way do I want him out as I still feel his overall job at Everton is very good. As long as he looks at his performances and tries to learn from them, he will improve. He is still a young manager, and I don't mind sharing the journey with him while he gets it right. He deserves a crack at us with a bit of funding, but he might never get that. He has been loyal, and ridden many a storm when he could have set sail for calmer shores.

I was fuming like the next guy when we went out of Europe to Porto, after playing defensively against a team we should have destroyed, but he got us there in the first place using what ever tactics he uses.

Sporting.

Was conceding the late pen in the first leg that screwed us there.

Sporting.

Was conceding the late pen in the first leg that screwed us there.

Yeah, I meant Sporting.

Let's get back to Liverpool. What's the score with Steven Gerrard at the moment? Is he injured?

Steven-Gerrard-2.jpg

Liverpool will not rush captain Steven Gerrard back from injury with the club insisting they will take a common sense approach.

The 31-year-old injured his groin six months ago and underwent before suffering an infection in his rehabilitation during pre-season.

The England international is unlikely to face Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday but could make his first appearance in the Carling Cup tie at Brighton on Wednesday.

His presence has not been missed as much as it would have been in previous campaigns, mainly thanks to a significant summer recruitment drive.

And manager Kenny Dalglish knows there is no point in bringing him back before he is fully ready with the risk of problems recurring further down the line.

“Steven is progressing very well, Martin Kelly is back training and Fabio (Aurelio) is close to coming back to joining us also,” Dalglish said.

“We will pick and choose when it is best suited for Steven, whichever games suits him best.

“We will analyse his recovery and how the progress is; we will do the same for Martin Kelly as we will do for Steven.

“We will just see what is right for Steven. There is no rush from us or from him because it has to be common sense.

“Everyone who is asked to play will be fit enough to play.”

Dalglish’s only real injury concern is defender Glen Johnson, who made his first appearance of the season as a substitute in the 1-0 defeat at Stoke on Saturday.

But the 27-year-old suffered a recurrence of a hamstring problem which he sustained in the Reds’ final friendly at home to Valencia over a month ago.

Suggestions are the England defender could be out for another four weeks but Dalglish said they are waiting for medical reports to determine the extent of the injury.

“We’ve only got Glen Johnson (injured) really. We are just waiting for some tests to come back and wait for the results,” he added.

Gerrard is not injured but i doubt he will start this match as he has only played 15 mins in 2 of our last games.

Expect him to come on at some point in the second half tho.

I think Saturday will come to soon for Johnson and the only other player out is Agger with a fractured rib.

Is the end for Gerrard drawing close now with recent midfield acquisitions?

Is the end for Gerrard drawing close now with recent midfield acquisitions?

No i agree with what Gerrard has said himself and that is he feels he has 4 more good years left.

I think he will be more of a attacking midfielder just in the hole this is where kenny has deployed him in the matches so far, or in a 3 man midfield in a 4-3-3 with Adam and Lucas.

No i agree with what Gerrard has said himself and that is he feels he has 4 more good years left.

I think he will be more of a attacking midfielder just in the hole this is where kenny has deployed him in the matches so far, or in a 3 man midfield in a 4-3-3 with Adam and Lucas.

I think fitness will play a big part. He's been injured frequently of late, only managing a few dozen games in the past 2 seasons, so it will get harder as he ages, to maintain stamina, and to heal. I'm curious as to who the next Mr Liverpool will be.

Another factor on how long he stays could be results. If Liverpool can rekindle some form, it could inspire him to keep playing, but would he want 4 more gloomy years, and go out on a low? I think he needs a big season in which to go out in style. Kind of like a full set of sixes across the judging panel. laugh.png