IGNORED

George Green

http://www.thetelegr..._2million_deal/

City are set to sell a teenage prodigy to Everton in a mega-bucks deal that will bank them up to £2 million.

Everton have beaten off interest from over 20 clubs, including some from abroad, to sign 15-year-old midfielder George Green, who is seen as one of the hottest prospects in the country.

The deal was done at Saturday’s Merseyside derby after talks between Archie Christie, Peter Horne and Everton boss David Moyes.

Tottenham and Rangers were also chasing Dewsbury-born Green but he felt a move to Everton – and their reputation for blooding youngsters – was the best choice.

City will receive nearly £300,000 straight away from the first payment for a player who has come up through the school of excellence.

The deal is structured to include further bonuses for appearances, new contracts, potential international appearances and a bumper sell-on clause from any future transfer fee.

Head of football development Christie said: “This is one of the highest deals ever for a 15-year-old from a League Two club. But George is the best I’ve seen in his position at his age. He could become another Wayne Rooney or Paul Gascoigne."

this seems a good way to do business to me with our lack of money.

hopefully he can come through and meet his potential...as the Gaza or rooney ON the pitch and not OFF it!

This write up on him is pretty interesting http://www.boyfrombrazil.co.uk/2011/10/remember-the-name-george-green/

Sounds like Moyes was pretty heavily involved so clearly must think a lot of him. Won't get hopes up too high but will be keeping an eye on how he gets on over the next year in the academy/reserves.

Assume there's a good chance he won't arrive at the club until next year as he's doing his GCSE's unless he moves school now.

Funny reading the beeb coverage of this here was reminded of the two sixteen year olds Chelsea nicked from Leeds a few years back that got Ken Bates all wound up....Chelsea ended up paying £5m for the pair of them.

Wondered what happened to them...

Tom Taiwo is now at Carlisle via Port Vale and a trial at Seattle Sounders.

Michael Woods was released and had a trial at Aberdeen in July (unsuccessful) and is currently on trial at Walsall.

Let's hope George fares better.

Even at £380,000 (initialy) or whatever it is, that 6x's what we spent on Coleman and nearly 7x's what we spent on Vellios.

So even initially, thats a horrendous amount of money in my opinion. Has he represented England at youth level? Has he shone that much to warrant such a fee? I'm not sure. For me, its a lot to commit to for a lad so unproven.

do we know how accurate that fee is though? even so..if he turns out to be a superstar then it will be a bargain..if not it's less than half a mill lost..ok to us it's a chunk but it's 1 extra place in the prem that's all..well worth the gamble..moyes see's summat there and i trust him with young players

Even at £380,000 (initialy) or whatever it is, that 6x's what we spent on Coleman and nearly 7x's what we spent on Vellios.

So even initially, thats a horrendous amount of money in my opinion. Has he represented England at youth level? Has he shone that much to warrant such a fee? I'm not sure. For me, its a lot to commit to for a lad so unproven.

I agree with you but this is where we need to be good (getting the best young players) because we don't have the finances right now to go out and buy a finished product to slot into our starting 11. So we have to make sure we get the best youngsters so they can be the heart of our future team, or we sell them for a premium so that we can go and buy a finished product.

I don't like it, infact I hate it, but that's the way it is.

Green hasn't played for England at any level as far as I know.

There was another George Green who played for England in the 1920s though.

I don't think it's that much to to spend if the player fulfills some of his potential. Jermaine Pennant signed for Arsenal for £2m from Notts County and he's probably been worth more than that during his career.

Liverpool signed a 15 year old Jamaican guy from QPR for £600k last year, he now plays for England U17 due to his new citizenship and residence in England.

I agree with you but this is where we need to be good (getting the best young players) because we don't have the finances right now to go out and buy a finished product to slot into our starting 11. So we have to make sure we get the best youngsters so they can be the heart of our future team, or we sell them for a premium so that we can go and buy a finished product.

I don't like it, infact I hate it, but that's the way it is.

I agree in principle Mark, I too would much prefer us going out and picking a load of youngsters up, gelling them in the youth teams, paying little and watch them develop. However, if Moyes doesn't start to introduce some of these lads to the starting 11, who knows if they'll make it. Persistance of playing his favoured 11 sucks ass. And if we had an injury to Baines (god help us), would he give Garbutt a shot or play Neville there instead?

I know what i'd want him to do, but in reality i don't think he will. I hope that the current crop of elders moves on in the next couple of years and the youngsters are primed and ready (experience pending) to slot straight in, still young enough to learn but have the ability to show other teams what they're capable of.

Hungery, young and exciting. Like United have done this year, ok they've spent a shit-load of money but their in another transitional faze where youth is now a prominant force for Uniteds Starting 11.

I'd like to see the following make it:

Garbutt

Duffy

Vellios

Silva

Barkley

Gueye

Coleman (ok he's a little older and more experienced, but no harm being included)

Mustafi

McAleny

Orenuga

Forrester

Browning

Gethin Jones

Taudul

But thats a pipedream eh?

-------------------Taudul ----------------

Browning - Duffy - Mustafi - Garbutt

Coleman - Barkley - Jones - Gueye

------------- Vellios - Silva -------------

McAleny, Orenuga, Forrester, Nsiala (forgot him)

Baxter and Rodwell as well to complete the 17, with Bidwell, Wallace and Green adding competition.

I agree in principle Mark, I too would much prefer us going out and picking a load of youngsters up, gelling them in the youth teams, paying little and watch them develop. However, if Moyes doesn't start to introduce some of these lads to the starting 11, who knows if they'll make it. Persistance of playing his favoured 11 sucks ass. And if we had an injury to Baines (god help us), would he give Garbutt a shot or play Neville there instead?

I know what i'd want him to do, but in reality i don't think he will. I hope that the current crop of elders moves on in the next couple of years and the youngsters are primed and ready (experience pending) to slot straight in, still young enough to learn but have the ability to show other teams what they're capable of.

I fully agree mate, and that's why I've said countless times that I don't think Duffy will ever get a real go here under Moyes. If you're a young midfielder or striker then he's likely to throw you in if need be (and mostly because there's no other option) but if you're a defender or GK then forget about it. He'd probably play Cahill or Fellaini at CB long before giving Duffy or Mustafi a chance.

I know it get's bandied about that youth is given a chance at Everton but I think that's highly exaggerated tbh. Giving youth a chance is not about playing youngsters when all the senior players are injured, giving youth a chance is about playing them ahead of those senior players.

I know there are those who disagree and say we do give youth a chance but that's my opinion.

I have absolutely no problem in spending a month of Arteta's salary on a 15 year old playing with people 2 years older and bossing the midfield. How else are we going to get the creme del a creme of englands future midfield?, sure it ain't a dead cert but approaching the age of 16 - people out there know the ones who are at least going to make professional level.

A very measured gamble is fine in my book. Would sooner spend £300k on a young disappointment than spend £5m over the odds on a bilyaletdinov.

I fully agree mate, and that's why I've said countless times that I don't think Duffy will ever get a real go here under Moyes. If you're a young midfielder or striker then he's likely to throw you in if need be (and mostly because there's no other option) but if you're a defender or GK then forget about it. He'd probably play Cahill or Fellaini at CB long before giving Duffy or Mustafi a chance.

I know it get's bandied about that youth is given a chance at Everton but I think that's highly exaggerated tbh. Giving youth a chance is not about playing youngsters when all the senior players are injured, giving youth a chance is about playing them ahead of those senior players.

I know there are those who disagree and say we do give youth a chance but that's my opinion.

agreed..villa is the best place for youth given a chance..it was under houllier anyways..although i think he went too far..but if i was duffy the day hibbert got picked against west ham ahead of me at cb i'd have wanted to leave

Edited by marcopaulo

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2471560,00.html

Someone want to email this to Arry "gazzump" Redknapp?

He's signed Arry now jog on.

On a different note, we should strengthen our links with Tranmere, ideal opportunity to have our younger players getting games there on loan and also with the added advantage of having them train a couple of days a week with the seniors. Also potentially get first dibs at any quality youth they have produced.