IGNORED

Gary Speed passes away

Ironically in his last interview he was asked about Michael Owens decision to play as a sub for united as opposed to permanently for a lesser team. His opinion was very diplomatically put and that he just wanted to play. 535 appearances in the premiership is the mark of such a man and his attitude.

Just seen the respect offered at Swansea, goose bumps to say the least.

We never know the real mind of folks, even those close to us. It's worth remembering that sometimes when we are careless with our words, or simply assume others 'can take it'.

Very sad news indeed.

An Evertonian too so I believe.

Yeah a proud one too, depending on how he did with our national side, could have gone to manage Everton in the future. Looks like we might be looking at Mark Hughes as a part time manager if he is up to it.sad.png

Like everyone else I was totally shocked when I first heard, about midday today. Obvious first thoughts where of a tragic accident but in all honeslty this is more tragic. Very fond memories of his time at Goodison especially a great hat-trick against Southampton and a late equaliser at Anfield. His longevity in the top flight speaks volumes for the character he was in the game. Condolensces to all who knew him. RIP Gary Speed

Absolutely devasted today. He just seemed a top bloke didn't he? Had the lot as a footballer would probably fetch £25 mill plus in this day n age. Box to box with goals and amazing in the air. He seemed to have everything going for him and i think it speaks volumes as the whole country is in shock. Totally numb and all our thoughts are with his family lets hope the press give them some space. R.I.P Gary

Hi all ,

I'm a Newcastle fan , just signed up to say I'm so sorry about the sad news regarding Gary Speed.

He was a true pro and an outstanding player for us over six seasons.

You guys will know that he always gave 100% on the pitch and was a gentleman off it .

Such sad , sad news , he will be missed.

RIP Gary Speed.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys.

Cheers.

Edited by nufc

As a welshman and an evertonian, this has shocked and saddened me. i watched BBC News when I found out and Robbie Savage was on, he could barely speak.

This is a dark day for the game, a truly inspirational man, not for his achievements as such, but his attitude. Everybody liked him and got along with him, the young players of the wales squad looked up to him, and he was truly one of the nicest players in the sport.

A different breed, one bereft of ego and posturing, of quiet nature and strong character. On the pitch, a consistent performer and consummate professional.

Rest In Peace Gary, lost but not forgotten. Ever.

Its sad isn't it that whatever Gary was going through he probably didnt realise how loved he was and maybe that would have made a difference? Maybe not i guess just rambling cos im gutted, wish we had him playing in our side now. Always remember the year after we won the cup under Joe royle even fergie had us for title outsiders with Speedo, Kanchelskis, Limpar, Parkinson, Ferguson, Watson, Hinchcliffe etc apart from the team a couple of seasons ago best team ive seen since we won the league

He was also that rare thing in modern sport, a man of principle. He left one of his clubs after having been required to give a half-time talk, as captain, in place of his manager, whom drink had rendered temporarily incapable of speech. The fans of the club in question were mystified by his departure, but he had signed a confidentiality agreement and never spoke of the incident.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/27/gary-speed-dead-leeds-newcastle-wales

Guest blueboy122

Horrific news. What a man and a player. Cant believe that the press are outside his house thats disgusting. What was the deal with the way he left everton that some of you have reffered to? What did he keep quite about?

ITS

Horrific news. What a man and a player. Cant believe that the press are outside his house thats disgusting. What was the deal with the way he left everton that some of you have reffered to? What did he keep quite about?

Its in the post by Louis, 5 up from this one.

Swansea fans here-Wirral resident.

Went down to Villa game and saw news on TV screen in pub before.

Many didnt want game to go ahead.

Place was truly eerie and wasnt a comforbale afternoon.

Drive back was awful too.

Speed wasnt a particular choice in Swansea of the Wales job but he grew into it and had given our country its respect back football wise and he even united Swansea and Cardiff fans which hasnt been done before.

THAT folks is a real legacy for a truly great bloke.

The circumstances of his death are what makes it even worse