IGNORED

Arsenal

Matt

Sorry its a bit late, will update the thread with the replies to the following:

1/ Wenger - will he be gone in the summer or will he stick around? Do you need a fresh face to manage the club

TRA Dial Square

Honestly? Yes. I think he'll be gone this summer. I see this MORE likely should we win a trophy... We don't NEED a fresh-face however; we just need The Nutty Professor to realise that what he had PRIOR to 05/06 was the PERFECT concoction for the club and it did NOT need 'changing'.

ChVint22

He'll be here still, but I'd like to see a fresh face. In a perfect world, I'd like Wenger to just step down and become the head scout or something like that and a new manager come in, but I don't ever see that happening.

2/ Do you expect to buy anyone in January? Being linked with Mario Gotze I see but will Wenger pay the required money?

TRA Dial Square:

I don't expect us to buy anybody; I believe we SHOULD be buying someone to partner/cover RvP for the latter half of the season - Gotze IMO will most definitely not happen January, however as much as I do NOT expect it. Sow/Podolski may surprise me.

ChVint22

No

3/ What have you thought about Arteta? Is he filling the creative void for you?

TRA Dial Square

I think Arteta has been massively underrated, both when he played for you and even now in an Arsenal shirt. He's filling a void that's for sure... He's no "Cesc Fabregas" but the point wasn't to replicate him, just to replace and I think in the 3-4 months he's played for us he's done a good job, so far.

ChVint22

I don't think he has been as creative as I would like, but I can't complain about him really, he's been solid.

4/ Yossi Benayoun was saying today that the Gooner fans have forgotten about Fabregas and Nasri, is it true?

TRA Dial Square

Who're Fabregas and Nasri? lol... No but on a serious note, has he said this? Not seen it personally and I can't speak for all Gooners however I personally have. I'm quite surprised I've not been saying "Cesc would have had that" or "Nasri would have played that one in this way"... I watched Nasri in the CC match against us and again last night and actually Thanked "God" we sold him.

ChVint22

I personally wish we still had them, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

5/ Van Persie has been in incredible form and Id bet he puts at least one past us this weekend. But he has had his injury problems in the past - do you think he will last the season and do you have anyone to fill his shoes if he does get injured?

TRA Dial Square

In regards to his form. 14 goals this season, top scorer so far 3 goals ahead of 2nd placed Aguero at the moment - Amazing shit! I worry about his injuries coming back to haunt us but I honestly don't see it this season and think he can hold out; if he has anything go wrong I can only see it being a minor situation which may keep him out for one, two games tops... Now, in regard to anyone filling his shoes? Stick Tommy V up front he'll do the business! [NO I'm NOT kidding].

ChVint22

He most likely won't last, and we're f***ked royally when he gets injured.

6/ Are there any other players you'd like to take from us?

TRA Dial Square

At one point I would have said Marouane Fellaini... But he just signed a new contract from what I've noticed. Maybe Saha... Maybe

ChVint22

I always wanted Howard, not only because I think he's good, but so we can have a yank on the team.

7/ Final score and scorers?

TRA Dial Square

3-1 Arsenal. Arteta/RvPx2 for Arsenal... Drenthe if he plays for you lot.

ChVint22

1-2 Everton Cahill, Own Goal / Robin

Went to our friends at http://goonersworld....php?f=5&t=21063 again.

Edited by Matt

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 - Saha, maybe......

7 - 2-1 to Everton.. Cahill?

If these guys are being serious they haven't seen much of us this season!

I hope we at least put up a fight against Arsenal but I can see us being 2 or 3 goals by half time unfortunately, before both teams settle for what they've got, 3 points for Arsenal and an unhumiliating scoreline for us.

Heart: Arsenal 1-1 Everton

Head: Arsenal 3-0 Everton

As far as I have read they will have no recognised full backs. Vermalen, Mertesacker, Koscielny and Djourou will all probably start, but any injuries/bookings to those players and wenger has nothing but kids to cover.

The result to me depends entirely how we line up. If Distin, Drenthe and Rodwell all start, I believe we can get a draw from it. Arsenal will definitely score, but when is important. I feel like if we can go into half time level we have enough fight to stay in it even if they do score. Especially if their two full backs are natural CB's. Hopefully Coleman and Drenthe can just run at them and make them nervous and we can get some shots from in and around the area. Playing a crossing game here would have the same result as against Stoke. They are all over 6ft at the back and we will have 1 up front.

we should expect an annihilation, but I feel with their defensive problems and our need for points our mentality and lineup will ultimately decide this. We need to be positive but aggressive, and hope Fellaini and Rodwell can stifle them in midfield. i don't even want to contemplate what RVP could do to us....

Playing away against one of four teams that we have not won away in 50 games of Moyes' tenure tends to point towards another disappointing result. And I am not going to swerve away from that little statistic. Having said that the law of averages means we have to beat one of them away some time but when have the law of averages had any bearing on football.

Heart- Law of averages- 2-0 to the Blues

Head- Everton's law of averages.- 3-0 to The Gooners

Futuo

1) Don't know, if he did leave I hope we get someone with a pedigree, so I can only think of Ancelotti, Hiddink or Guardiola who come close. Someone like Klopp, Coyle, Moyes er no thanks as they won't do better than AW quite the opposite I'd guess.

2) Yes if we sell some, if Chamakh went I think we'd get a striker, be nice to off load Denilson, Squillaci & Almunia too.

3) He's doing fine, not startling but good enough, if he wasn't Spanish he'd be a regular starter with many caps to his credit.

4) Utter bollocks, Cesc was and always will be an Arsenal legend up there with the likes of Brady, Vieira, Petit etc. Samir who?

5) No and yes there are players but none anywhere near in his league.

6) Baines yes before we got Santos, but he would be massively over priced and AW is no sucker and I would have said Rodwell too but covered for DM so would be an unnecessary luxury.

7) 2-0 Gervhino

Mark Lawrenson's Prediction for Arsenal v Everton

Arsenal may have lost in the Champions League in midweek but forget about that, manager Arsene Wenger took the chance to rest a few players and I've no problem with that.

The fact is Arsenal are back at home, they are going well, and with Manchester United showing a few frailties in a few competitions the Gunners will want to keep chipping away and getting results. They've done extremely well of late and even though you feel that they are still vulnerable against the top teams they are still a good side and have shown that with a fine run of form.

Everton, on the other hand, were disappointing in the extreme against Stoke last week. I don't think they had a shot on goal and City easily kept them at bay.

This is a completely different fixture in that having enjoyed most of the ball last week, Everton will have to go long periods without it this week. Even so, and while Everton always give Arsenal a good game, I think the Gunners will just have too much quality.

Prediction: 2-0

Here are all of Mark Lawrenson's 150 predictions for the 2011-12 Premier League season, together with how the League table would look like if those forecasts were all correct...

Lawro's 2011-12 Predictions

Predicted line-up:

Howard

Hibbert/Jagielka/Distin/Baines

........Heitinga/Fellaini

Coleman...........Drenthe or Bily

.........Cahill/Saha if fit.

Nothing exciting really, unless Drenthe gets a game.

Incidentally, there has been no mention of Drenthe being injured this week, while there has been other injury news... Are we to take that as a sign that Drenthe isn't injured and that if he doesn't play, there might be some truth behind the rumours of a fall out with Moyes?

Predicted line-up:

Howard

Incidentally, there has been no mention of Drenthe being injured this week, while there has been other injury news... Are we to take that as a sign that Drenthe isn't injured and that if he doesn't play, there might be some truth behind the rumours of a fall out with Moyes?

unless it's something really bad (like walking round town in a shite home kit) can Moyes really afford to fall out with any of the players, no matter what the problem is.

I am going to go for a rather unexpected (for any sane person) result:

Arsenal 0 : 1 Everton

Against the odds, I still think Arsenal are a tad frail, and Everton are a robust outfit. You're not leaking goals for fun, and I think morale has improved with recent results.

I really do have a sneaky feeling Everton can snatch something here. It's just a feeling,...

Have a bad feeling, 3-0, sorry everyone, just can't see how we can win this. Would love to be proved wrong though! smile.png

Predicted line-up:

Howard

Bang tidy line up that, have you been spying on Moyes again? Their first choice left back is out, therefore put Drenthe on the right, if not fit then use young Ross, if he ain't fit then............. never mind, right on to their goalkeeper, Almunia is starting, so we need to play Jack if fit in the middle, taking the ball forward and shooting from distance, sod that just realised he is injured, put Billy in behind Louis if the lazy sod is fit, Louis that is! Wenger will look to get Walcott in behind Baines, put Ossie there and ask him to help out as a shield, all to go forward as one and back as one, Arsenal love open spaces, get into them up close and personal, as lance corporal Jones once said '' they don't like it up em''. 4-4-1-1 midfield of Ossie, Felli, Drenthe/ Ross/ Coleman and Nev, seek and destroy boys, seek and destroy.................. 0-0 and I'll dance naked down my street! You listening David?

Bang tidy line up that, have you been spying on Moyes again? Their first choice left back is out, therefore put Drenthe on the right, if not fit then use young Ross, if he ain't fit then............. never mind, right on to their goalkeeper, Almunia is starting, so we need to play Jack if fit in the middle, taking the ball forward and shooting from distance, sod that just realised he is injured, put Billy in behind Louis if the lazy sod is fit, Louis that is! Wenger will look to get Walcott in behind Baines, put Ossie there and ask him to help out as a shield, all to go forward as one and back as one, Arsenal love open spaces, get into them up close and personal, as lance corporal Jones once said '' they don't like it up em''. 4-4-1-1 midfield of Ossie, Felli, Drenthe/ Ross/ Coleman and Nev, seek and destroy boys, seek and destroy.................. 0-0 and I'll dance naked down my street! You listening David? [/left]

Ossie out as well...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011/12/09/blues-missing-rodwell-amp-ossie

No Osman either... Not that that's such a downside in all honesty.

Looks like Barkley will get a go. Probably Neville in midfield too... FUCK.

I will actually cry if Neville is in midfield.

I am actually quite surprised by how pessimistic everyone is. Arsenal might have been doing well of late, but for me they have been flattered by the teams they have played. They did well against Chelsea, but Chelsea were crap and RVP played out of his skin. They are nowhere near the team they used to be, and if our players go out there with the same mentality as you lot then we will get a beating. You have to get stuck into Arsenal, win those 50-50 balls and show them they are in for a fight. We have to load up the centre of the pitch, because they are seriously poor from outwide. Gervinho & Walcott couldnt pick a pass if there was only one other player on the pitch. RVP is obviously a massive threat, and he may well score a brilliant goal from nothing and if that happens, then well done him, but RVP aside (and Vermaelen) they are no better than a top 10 team at the moment.

My team would be:

--------------Howard

----Hibbert Jags Heits Baines

--------------- Felli

Drenthe------------------- Gueye

----------- Cahill Barkley

----------------Saha

I would definately stick with the same back 4 as the last few weeks. They have by far been our best defensive performances, and considering how easily Heitinga dealt with the physical presence of Stoke I would see any need to stick Distin back in any time soon. My biggest worry would be if Heitinga got caught against Walcott, but we dont really play high enough up the pitch for that to be a massive concern.

I would stick Felli in the middle, mainly to help pick up RVP when he drops deep. Its something Felli could do all day in his sleep and our best way of stopping RVP is to stop the ball getting to him.

I would play any of Gueye/Drenthe/Coleman to be honest, but I prefer Drenthe coming in on his left foot, and I dont think LM suits Coleman as much as it would suit Gueye. It may leave us a bit light in the defensive department, and I would be tempted to be a bit cautious and start with Coleman, but if Arsenal dont have any natural FB's then they will be worse going forward, and a more natural winger could do a job on them.

Although I have put Cahill & Barkley ahead of the wingers, that is mainly to emphasise the point that I want them to get forward and support Saha. Without Osman & Rodwell is does leave us a little light in the midfield, and while Neville or Heitinga would probably be a solid choice to partner Felli, it will only give us the same problems as we always have and slotting Cahill back into a proper midfield berth will keep us combative and hopefully give him a chance arriving in the box late and unattended as opposed to never or marked! Its a bit risky, and if he is out of his depth then it would need changing, but I feel the likes of Arteta and Ramsey are prone to mistakes if they are pressed properly and Cahill will guarentee that. Barkley should be allowed to make things happen, he may be young and it will be a steep introduction for him, but with the experience of Cahill and Felli nearby I am sure he will do fine.

It doesnt matter too much as to whether Saha or Vellios plays. Saha has more class, but Vellios could suit the system better if he controls the ball better than he did last week. Whoever players upfront they need to move. They have to keep the Arsenal back 4 guessing, whether they are dropping deep or trying to get in behind. Hopefully with decent support from Cahill, Barkley and the wide men we might be able to fashion some good chances.

That is waaaaayyyyy more than I intended to write when I clicked reply!

Edited by Bailey

I will actually cry if Neville is in midfield.

I am actually quite surprised by how pessimistic everyone is. Arsenal might have been doing well of late, but for me they have been flattered by the teams they have played. They did well against Chelsea, but Chelsea were crap and RVP played out of his skin. They are nowhere near the team they used to be, and if our players go out there with the same mentality as you lot then we will get a beating. You have to get stuck into Arsenal, win those 50-50 balls and show them they are in for a fight. We have to load up the centre of the pitch, because they are seriously poor from outwide. Gervinho & Walcott couldnt pick a pass if there was only one other player on the pitch. RVP is obviously a massive threat, and he may well score a brilliant goal from nothing and if that happens, then well done him, but RVP aside (and Vermaelen) they are no better than a top 10 team at the moment.

My team would be:

--------------Howard

----Hibbert Jags Heits Baines

--------------- Felli

Drenthe------------------- Gueye

----------- Cahill Barkley

----------------Saha

I would definately stick with the same back 4 as the last few weeks. They have by far been our best defensive performances, and considering how easily Heitinga dealt with the physical presence of Stoke I would see any need to stick Distin back in any time soon. My biggest worry would be if Heitinga got caught against Walcott, but we dont really play high enough up the pitch for that to be a massive concern.

I would stick Felli in the middle, mainly to help pick up RVP when he drops deep. Its something Felli could do all day in his sleep and our best way of stopping RVP is to stop the ball getting to him.

I would play any of Gueye/Drenthe/Coleman to be honest, but I prefer Drenthe coming in on his left foot, and I dont think LM suits Coleman as much as it would suit Gueye. It may leave us a bit light in the defensive department, and I would be tempted to be a bit cautious and start with Coleman, but if Arsenal dont have any natural FB's then they will be worse going forward, and a more natural winger could do a job on them.

Although I have put Cahill & Barkley ahead of the wingers, that is mainly to emphasise the point that I want them to get forward and support Saha. Without Osman & Rodwell is does leave us a little light in the midfield, and while Neville or Heitinga would probably be a solid choice to partner Felli, it will only give us the same problems as we always have and slotting Cahill back into a proper midfield berth will keep us combative and hopefully give him a chance arriving in the box late and unattended as opposed to never or marked! Its a bit risky, and if he is out of his depth then it would need changing, but I feel the likes of Arteta and Ramsey are prone to mistakes if they are pressed properly and Cahill will guarentee that. Barkley should be allowed to make things happen, he may be young and it will be a steep introduction for him, but with the experience of Cahill and Felli nearby I am sure he will do fine.

It doesnt matter too much as to whether Saha or Vellios plays. Saha has more class, but Vellios could suit the system better if he controls the ball better than he did last week. Whoever players upfront they need to move. They have to keep the Arsenal back 4 guessing, whether they are dropping deep or trying to get in behind. Hopefully with decent support from Cahill, Barkley and the wide men we might be able to fashion some good chances.

That is waaaaayyyyy more than I intended to write when I clicked reply!

Cahill in midfield? Wont they just pass around him? He ain't got the brain to push the op ball players out wide, they will just suck him in and place some one in where he has just run from, as for Ramsey, well, He will run the show, taking the ball off their def mid and dictate the play, get on him and you stop their pattern of play. We should have made more of an effort to sign him!

Cahill in midfield? Wont they just pass around him? He ain't got the brain to push the op ball players out wide, they will just suck him in and place some one in where he has just run from, as for Ramsey, well, He will run the show, taking the ball off their def mid and dictate the play, get on him and you stop their pattern of play. We should have made more of an effort to sign him!

Told you, it'll be 3

I'm looking forward to the teamsheet. If there's ever going to be a game where Moyes left the stadium thinking "I need to change what I'm doing", then it would have been last Sunday. Stick with the defensive formation, but hopefully try something different going forward. I don't know if it will make much difference who starts up front, so the room for tinkering is in front of Fellaini and behind Saha. Osman and Rodwell are out: I doubt he will put an attack minded central midfield player in against Arsenal, so we'll either see Neville in there or Distin back in CB with Heitinga besides Felli, either way its not ideal but I don't think there's any particular alternative.

So that leaves 3 midfielders, two wide and one supporting the striker, hopefully Drenthe will come back in, I'd like to see him on the left because Vermaelen is the strong point of their defence and it looks like he's playing on the left, so attack Djourou/Koscielny down their right. If Drenthe doesn't come back, that leaves us with Gueye, Coleman, Bilyaletdinov and possibly Barkley on the flanks, so Coleman is almost certain to start down the right, unless Drenthe does play and plays there, in which case Gueye or Bily will line up on the left, I don't rate Seamus down that side. In behind the striker is a no brainer for me, drop Cahill, play Barkley, or maybe Bily.

All things considered I wouldn't be too adventurous with the line up at Arsenal, and I expect we will line up with what I posted up the page, but if Moyes doesn't change something after last week, I will still be quite disappointed.

So, being realistic, I think we could see:

Howard

Hibbert

Jags

Distin

Baines

Fellaini

Heitinga

Coleman

Barkley

Drenthe

Saha

Edited by adziom

Guest rusty747

I subscribe to the 'if ain't broke, don't fix it theory.' I would therefore leave our back 4 the same as last week and line up as follows:

Howard

Hibbert

Jags

Heits

Baines

Felli

Drenthe (right)

Neville (cos we need a leader on the pitch)

Gueye (left)

Barkley/Billy (behind Saha/Velli)

Saha if fit, otherwise Velli

And, to be honest, I don't care if we get beat 4-1 as long as we look like we are having a go. If we nick a goal and need to hang on, then Distin on for Gueye and Heits into defensive mid. If we are chasing the game with 25 mins to go, then Cahill for Barkley/Billy