IGNORED

New striker

Mogsy

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy - why not try Barkley as a striker? Has all the attributes and let's face it could he do any worse than cahill or saha at the moment.

One minute you criticise Moyes for playing people out of position, and the next you suggest playing a midfielder as a striker. Do you forget what you've written or is it just that you don't care? huh.png

One minute you criticise Moyes for playing people out of position, and the next you suggest playing a midfielder as a striker. Do you forget what you've written or is it just that you don't care? huh.png

I criticised Moyes for disrupting the defence and moving the best centre half into midfield which is a terrible decision, you do not tinker with defenders or goalkeepers without reason. I also made the point that Fellaini is a poor attacking player as has been proven,

My point of playing Barkley as a striker is because we can see how he does - would it be considered playing him out of his position if he is actually very good in that position? No - he after all is an attacking player.

A good striker:

intelligent - yes

good movement - yes

strong - yes

Quick - yes

good in the air - yes

good feet - yes

good shot - yes

again - this is my opinion, you appear to be on the wind up but hey ho, I'll plod on.

Fair shout hafina, when they're as young as barkley they can adapt easily. Look at Coleman for a good example.

Plus as you said it can't get any worse!

He is a player who reminds me so much of Steven Gerrard, does anyone grumble when Gerrard plays as a striker for Liverpool or England? I see the lad being a goal getter for us.

I like him but would he really be within our budget? Wolves paid £5million-£6million for him didn't they? And they'd be looking to at least recoup that.

I like him too, but doubt Wolves would let him go especially as he starting to get more game time, and in turn score more goals. Crazy to think but he would probably cost around £10mi!

Saha score 8/10 chances!? That's pretty optimistic that mate...1/4-5 at best! Saha is no better than yakubu in my opinion, both lazy but can score at times although the yak seems to score more from nothing and can hold up play pretty well. Both are pretty useless in a lone role.

Saha is a very good finisher and I maintain that he would have a favourable strike rate in the box. He just gets very few decent chances, and because of the way we play, the penalty box is normally full of bodies infront of him! Put it this way he is by far the best finisher at the club, and he would be for most teams in the top flight.

Saha is a very good finisher and I maintain that he would have a favourable strike rate in the box. He just gets very few decent chances, and because of the way we play, the penalty box is normally full of bodies infront of him! Put it this way he is by far the best finisher at the club, and he would be for most teams in the top flight.

I agree, Saha is a goalscorer, and although I detest his trait of failing to run around and make the ball his up front, that doesn't change the fact that he is the best striker we have. While we are struggling to make chances through playing neat football, failing to get in behind the opposition's defence and put in threatening crosses, Saha is not going to excel. At the moment, with our current line up and style of play, I think we need someone more in the Duncan Ferguson mould to play up top, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that Vellios is ready to play that role, nor that Moyes is willing to play Stracqualursi up there.

When we improve our midfield spark and creativity, and start getting in behind full backs and playing clever through balls to our strikers, Saha can be our man, albeit only if this happens sooner rather than later due to his advancing years. After all, Yakubu, Beattie, Johnson, even Anichebe have had reasonable goalscoring runs in our team when the midfield has been on song, which is why I believe this is where we need to improve first.

I like him too, but doubt Wolves would let him go especially as he starting to get more game time, and in turn score more goals. Crazy to think but he would probably cost around £10mi!

It's all well and good saying he doesn't get the chances but he doesn't make any effort to get into goalscoring positions. Going back again to the first half of the wolves game where there were 3 world class balls waiting to be put in but the lazy twat couldn't be arsed running into the box...he was outside or on the edge on all three occasions. Most strikers get goals based on movement, especially in the box. He has no endeavour to do this which is why I'm far from happy about him and his stinking attitude.

If he spent as much effort on the pitch than he does on twitter he might get more chances.

It's all well and good saying he doesn't get the chances but he doesn't make any effort to get into goalscoring positions. Going back again to the first half of the wolves game where there were 3 world class balls waiting to be put in but the lazy twat couldn't be arsed running into the box...he was outside or on the edge on all three occasions. Most strikers get goals based on movement, especially in the box. He has no endeavour to do this which is why I'm far from happy about him and his stinking attitude.

If he spent as much effort on the pitch than he does on twitter he might get more chances.

Fair points and I cant argue with them.

I'm sure I remember a few years ago when we was involved in Europa League nights the Five channel commentators would call him Victor Anchovy whenever he had possession, there was some other Toffee player mispronunciations too that offered some light humor I seem to recall

Does anyone think Holt at Norwich could ever be a success here, he's not one of my favorite players, but if they were ever to let him go he's a decent center forward and will always score goals, would be even better if he could lay off the candy bars..

I'm sure I remember a few years ago when we was involved in Europa League nights the Five channel commentators would call him Victor Anchovy whenever he had possession, there was some other Toffee player mispronunciations too that offered some light humor I seem to recall

Does anyone think Holt at Norwich could ever be a success here, he's not one of my favorite players, but if they were ever to let him go he's a decent center forward and will always score goals, would be even better if he could lay off the candy bars..

In a word NO. Love Morrison here though.

I can't remember whether we were actually linked with the guy in the summer or that Peter H just suggested him, but John Guidetti has been playing really well for Feyenoord this season (on loan from Man City). He had scored 8 goals and had given 3 assists in 11 match before today. Feyenoord are now playing Twente (another one of the top sides in Holland) and he's already scored 3. So he's 11 out of 12 so far. He looks strong, seems to have skill and he gets goals. If he keeps playing like this, there will probably be interest from a couple of PL teams. I would certainly take him.