Sign in to follow this  
cols

Tim Cahill

A 4 part series posted on NYRB website about Cahill's transfer. You can tell Everton means so much to him and his bleeds blue through and through. Here are some of my favourite quotes:

...And then I moved on to Everton for eight years. I had loads of opportunities probably to try different things, but with a manager like David Moyes and Bill Kenwright, the chairman, I think loyalty is something that I learned at such a young age [as being] really important. Because I’ve run through brick walls for the club. It means so much to me. And it’s so emotional as well. Because they’re my teammates, it’s part of my life, it’s part of my family, which is so special. And it was a good fit. I never wanted to go to another Premier League club out of respect to the chairman and the gaffer and obviously the fans who mean so much to me. But to have this transition and this opportunity, I’m blessed. I’m in a privileged position.

...I kept it very quiet. Because it’s something that, I respect Everton, and basically I concentrated on the training for Everton and the games that I was playing and the preseason trip.

...We never rest. If the manager wants you to play, you play. You do it for the club. You put the shirt on.

He pretty much mentions Everton in every other paragraph. He will be missed but he will forever be remembered a blue legend!

Links:

http://www.newyorkre...-join-red-bulls

http://www.newyorkre...-and-tim-howard

http://www.newyorkre...d-most-new-york

http://www.newyorkre...-coaching-staff

i really hope not

I would! Even if it was just to have a morale boost, think it would be great for him to come back for a short period Would give him a chance to say good bye too

Scruffy looking individual though. Don't always have time for those who don't put a bit of pride in their appearance. Hard to believe sometimes that Cahill is 33 years of age. Even then, still capable and if Australia get to Brazil next year, they could surprise one or two people.

For what it's worth to you guys, Timmy is quickly becoming a fan favorite here in New York. He's been our best midfielder by a longshot and has scored some crucial goals. Plus the corner flag celebration is alive and well.

For what it's worth to you guys, Timmy is quickly becoming a fan favorite here in New York. He's been our best midfielder by a longshot and has scored some crucial goals. Plus the corner flag celebration is alive and well.

Good to hear. He wasn't good enough to still be playing for us but he was still a fan favourite. It's good to know that he's doing well in New York.

I could never play soccer with bare feet. Think of the grass hazards, and has to take a strain without the protection of suitable footwear. Beach play is different obviously with sand, not grass, but still not without it's dangers. You never know what you're leaving yourself open to.

Seem to be playing without a designated goalkeeper also. Just strike at an empty net. Never understood the appeal of that but will let it go.

57 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Anyone who followed Neville and Cahill back in their playing days here would know it was banter between the two, who've had a long history of doing so. 

The fact that there was mild outrage among some just shows how thin skinned some are. Twitter really gives a voice to people who don't need to be heard or don't have anything valid to say. 

6 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Anyone who followed Neville and Cahill back in their playing days here would know it was banter between the two, who've had a long history of doing so. 

The fact that there was mild outrage among some just shows how thin skinned some are. Twitter really gives a voice to people who don't need to be heard or don't have anything valid to say. 

I just think it’s funny. And Cahill is badass for the prodding.

5 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

I just think it’s funny. And Cahill is badass for the prodding.

As everyone should. Clearly there's sarcasm and joke insults thrown in there. Somehow that goes over some people's heads.

Dear Tim Cahill,

To be honest, at first we enjoyed the attention. Nobody thinks twice about us corner flags. We're just colourful pieces of cloth whose chief purpose in life is line demarcation.

It's not a glamorous calling.

Nobody notices a corner flag. Our job is to be as invisible and unimportant as a contestant from an old reality TV series.

You changed all that, Tim Cahill.

You brought us into the spotlight by rushing towards us after you scored and boxing the living crap out of us as part of your signature celebration. And like we say, it was flattering at first.

But we soon learned to fear you.

As you boxed us and slapped us and treated us as your personal punching ball, we came to dread your mere presence on the field.

Because the thing about you, Tim Cahill, is that you always seemed to score. How? We will never know. But you could seemingly conjure goals at will, right when your team most needed them.

And then it would be flag-punishing time.

No flag anywhere was ever safe. Whether you played for the New York Red Bulls or the Socceroos or Everton FC or anyone, one of us poor innocent flags would cop it.

And everyone would think it a big joke.

"Box the corner flags," they'd say.

"Flog us, that'll be good for a laugh!"

Hahahahahaha.

Did anyone ever think about it from our perspective?

Did anyone ever stop to consider how our sides ached, our cheeks smarted, when Australian football's finest unleashed his fists of fury? It was as painful as it was humiliating, it really was.

But do you know what?

We hate to admit it, but we have a grudging respect for you, Tim Cahill. See, we corner flags are football fans too. We love seeing the beautiful game played fairly, skilfully and with the utmost passion.

You were never the tallest, fastest or strongest. But your instincts were impeccable, your timing perfect, your finishing always clinical.

You, Tim Cahill, have always been a pure footballer. And while we're glad that our pain will soon end, our spirits are flagging that the career of a true genius is almost over.

You're an unflappable character, Tim Cahill. Trust us, that's the biggest compliment a flag can ever give anyone.

https://tendaily.com.au/news/sport/a181119orz/a-tribute-to-tim-cahill-from-the-tormented-corner-flags-of-the-world-20181119

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Dear Tim Cahill,

To be honest, at first we enjoyed the attention. Nobody thinks twice about us corner flags. We're just colourful pieces of cloth whose chief purpose in life is line demarcation.

It's not a glamorous calling.

Nobody notices a corner flag. Our job is to be as invisible and unimportant as a contestant from an old reality TV series.

You changed all that, Tim Cahill.

You brought us into the spotlight by rushing towards us after you scored and boxing the living crap out of us as part of your signature celebration. And like we say, it was flattering at first.

But we soon learned to fear you.

As you boxed us and slapped us and treated us as your personal punching ball, we came to dread your mere presence on the field.

Because the thing about you, Tim Cahill, is that you always seemed to score. How? We will never know. But you could seemingly conjure goals at will, right when your team most needed them.

And then it would be flag-punishing time.

No flag anywhere was ever safe. Whether you played for the New York Red Bulls or the Socceroos or Everton FC or anyone, one of us poor innocent flags would cop it.

And everyone would think it a big joke.

"Box the corner flags," they'd say.

"Flog us, that'll be good for a laugh!"

Hahahahahaha.

Did anyone ever think about it from our perspective?

Did anyone ever stop to consider how our sides ached, our cheeks smarted, when Australian football's finest unleashed his fists of fury? It was as painful as it was humiliating, it really was.

But do you know what?

We hate to admit it, but we have a grudging respect for you, Tim Cahill. See, we corner flags are football fans too. We love seeing the beautiful game played fairly, skilfully and with the utmost passion.

You were never the tallest, fastest or strongest. But your instincts were impeccable, your timing perfect, your finishing always clinical.

You, Tim Cahill, have always been a pure footballer. And while we're glad that our pain will soon end, our spirits are flagging that the career of a true genius is almost over.

You're an unflappable character, Tim Cahill. Trust us, that's the biggest compliment a flag can ever give anyone.

https://tendaily.com.au/news/sport/a181119orz/a-tribute-to-tim-cahill-from-the-tormented-corner-flags-of-the-world-20181119

Brilliant. I always loved Cahill even after he left Everton. Coleman actually reminds me of him, as he embodies the spirit of being fair, giving your all by putting your body, and being great to the people. Happy retirement Timmy! 

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Retired, can we clone a 25 year old version of him please?

I’ve watched that about 5 times now. Music is very good too

1 hour ago, Bill said:

At 25 he would be priceless today, a joy to watch.

Wouldn’t be playing for us though!