IGNORED

What's Your Best Memory?

Oztoffee

Like most people who have a wealth of years behind them, I have a few memories I'd like to share.

The time the Blue beat Cardiff 8-2 (I think) on a cold & foggy night a few days before Xmas in front of the lowest crowd at Goodison for a century (12500 1 think)

It seemed like it anyway, the ground was deserted!

The time Alex Young rose & headed the ball out of the keeper's hands when the keeper was at full stretch under the bar - West Brom in the Cup Final

The time when hairy-arsed dockers cried unashamedly when we scored the winning goal in the 1966 Cup Final.

The time when a new player called Fred Pickering made his début & scored 3 at home against Notts. Forest. Great, you say - but we were so dominant he missed at least another 10 and was roundly condemned!

Times like watching Young & Vernon rip apart defences & being fed great balls in from Tommy Ring.

Magic memories for me - I havn't been to Goodison for 35 years, being in NZ & Oz since then, although I got to see the Blues in NZ about 1980 or so. MUCH too long.

What favourite memories does anyone else have? Perhaps more up-to-date. LOL

Guest fozzie22
An ealryish & favourite moment of my own was that "Andy King" Goal..!!!

Happy one that ;)

Pat van den hauwe v norwich in 87 springs to mind..paul power same season,over the hill of course,but ive never seen a man play beyond his ability as that man did that season.

The class of 2005 could do worse than have a look at some of his performances.

Damn, which one to choose - I was there the day we ripped United apart and beat them 5-0 so that was special.

When we were chasing for the title in '85 and we had to go Spurs at Easter on a midweek. We went 2 up, they got one back and then Nev made that save, unbelievable save. Not mathermatically, but we won the title that night.

The sheer unadultered joy and relief of avoiding the drop, Barry Horne and Graeme Stuart will always get a warm welcome at GP. And of course, having a great speck at the side of the Gwladys St for the Bayern game - what a night.

But for me, I have only ever stood on the Kop once in my life. I was 14, short and naive - I stood behind one of the barriers. 90 minutes of trying to survive, but worth every second. Why would I pick out a day on the Kop? It was the day Sharpy took the p*** and banged one in from 35 yards. I still watch that clip on DVD sometimes - the scenes of a handful of Everton fans running on the pitch to mob him - including the bloke who does his best aeroplane impression. Priceless.

Memories, memories, memories aaahhhhh my sweet Everton so much pleasure and so much pain!

I remember good atmospheres and emotional performances more than the football, strange you may say but every match for me is an emotional rollercoaster.

I had my first season ticket 95/96 so i have had the pleasure of watching Everton win sweet FA and generally play like a bag of sh*te ;)

The two moments which realy stick with me are the bristol city away in the FA cup when Bakayoko scored that free kick and 6000 traveling evertonians emptied from the stand behind the goal to what seemed like the front 3 rows. we were climbing over eachother trying to find our mates for the rest of the match, the atmosphere was electric and the coach home was the best party i have ever been to! It was only the 3rd / 4th round!

My most memorable moment at any football match has got to be Nottingham Forest away in the last season they were in the prem'. Duncan picks the ball up on the right hand corner of the area and turns like Christiano Ronaldo takes two steps forward and drives a shot into the back of the net with that mutch force all the travelling support behind the goal see is a bulge in the net. The big man runs to the celebrating fans and says with the help of some hastily made up sign language "I love you". A dreary mid week night game suddenly came alive and the forest fans couldnt understand how a few thousand Evertonians could be making so much noise.

Away days!! Nothing quite like it :D

Everton are **MAGIC**

Guest fozzie22

Aye that save from the big man..i have yet to see anything better tbh

Yes we did win the title that night.

Funnyliy enough i couldnt get excited about the bayern match,far too tense ;)

The man U game,was that the one where the blow up doll was thrown towards big ron?

ive had a season ticket now since the 99 season but i cant remember many matches though ;) (which is worryin as im only 16 :D )

few of my best memmories from matches i went to:

coventry:me bro got me a ticket next to him, i was made up....i was cryin my eyes out through the majority of the match though! :D ...fuckin barmby the useless tosser :D we wer ok though :) and Gareth Farrelly scored a screamer! great at the end but i never want to encounter anythin like that again!

man utd: first match i went to with my season ticket..and we got a draw! :D jaaps eye scored an OG and i seen him a week later when i went to australia!! (peter reid was on the plane too, he let on to me :D ..after i sed iya to him of course :D )

liverpool: carselys goal! shite as it was it was brilliant :D it was great at the end, stayed for fckin ages!!

man utd: ferguson was amazin, it was one of the best performances i have ever seen by the big man and it will stay for me for a long time..i got a punch in the face by me bro when he was celebrating and got choked by the lad behind..happy days :D

COYB lets have a few more great memmories eh!

Edited by ianthetoffee

aah the memories, so many to choose from, like Pat i was one of those who cried when we went 2-0 down at Wembley in 66 WITH ONLY HALF HOUR TO GO, and then cried again after Temple raced away and slotted the winner. After coming back to win 3-2. :D Fabulous memory.

Also remember THE ONE PHIL MENTIONED... Sharpey flicking the ball over Hansens head, running round him and before it hits the floor sends a volley screaming into the net from a good 30 yards...OOOH, ALMOST CAME IN MY PANTS THAT DAY. ;)

Most of my vivid memories revolve around the Alex young era, never have i seen a more skillfull player in an Everton shirt, he didnt have to twist and turn like BEST, OR McKENZIE, with just a dip of the shoulder or shimmy of the hips he just seemed to go right through them without altering his stride, one minute he was there the next he was gone, aka The Golden Vision. WHAT A PLAYER, A CROWD PLEASER SUPREME.

Another memory that usually comes back to me involves Mick Lyons, (mr Everton in those days), COULD AND WOULD PLAY ANYWHERE , AND GIVE 110% EVERY TIME. think it was 74/75 season 4th round cup away at Plymouth.

Something had happened on the trip down there or at the ground, but can remember it coming over the Tannoy system that Bob Latchford wasnt playing and Lyons would be playing centre forward.

It was a rough old day, wind and rain made it a bit of a lottery as regards football, but i can remember mick lyons ploughing throughj the mud from the halfway line with about four defenders chasing him, seemed to be in slow motion, mud spattering eveywhere.

But he slotted it past the goalie to make it 3-1 to us, and the ground erupted. must have had more Everton fans there than the home supporters.

Lyons scored 2 that day, and that was a memorable trip home.

BETTER STOP NOW OR I COULD BE HERE FOR HOURS. :D:D:D

1995 FA Cup final, i was 11 years old and far too short to see what rideout was up to once the ball had crossed the half way line but when the crowd went wild I knew it had to be good!

the rest of the game was very nerve racking and game wasn't great but the result was amazing and the aftermarth, seeing the lads pick up the trophy, the lap of honour and the celebrations before doing a runner for the underground to get to the airport for home. bitter united fans telling me to enjoy it cause i'd never be back.

COYB let's prove those bitter reds wrong!

Sheedy's retaken free kick against villa i think?

the one where he smashed it top left

then the ref ordered a retake to the chargin of the crowd

so he smashed the retake top right

amazing left foot

and beardsleys first goal against palace in the 2-2

i used to love watching that little quasimodo playing

Damn, which one to choose - I was there the day we ripped United apart and beat them 5-0 so that was special.

When we were chasing for the title in '85 and we had to go Spurs at Easter on a midweek. We went 2 up, they got one back and then Nev made that save, unbelievable save. Not mathermatically, but we won the title that night.

The sheer unadultered joy and relief of avoiding the drop, Barry Horne and Graeme Stuart will always get a warm welcome at GP. And of course, having a great speck at the side of the Gwladys St for the Bayern game - what a night.

But for me, I have only ever stood on the Kop once in my life. I was 14, short and naive - I stood behind one of the barriers. 90 minutes of trying to survive, but worth every second. Why would I pick out a day on the Kop? It was the day Sharpy took the p*** and banged one in from 35 yards. I still watch that clip on DVD sometimes - the scenes of a handful of Everton fans running on the pitch to mob him - including the bloke who does his best aeroplane impression. Priceless.

The eighties were great memeories, would still love to get a copy of the Radio City celebration cassette if anyone knows where?

I was also 14 standing on the Kop for the first time when Sharp scored that goal.

So many to choose from though in that era, Luton/Sheff Wed semis (never made the Soton one), beating the Shite in 1985 after we'd clinched the title with our reserves, Bayern, Man U 5-0, demolition of Newcastle away on boxing day, Hearts away in a testimonial on a pissing down sunday afternoon (no scrap that one), Norwich PVDH 45 sec goal), Wayne Clark's 'chip' over Lukic with the shite losing at home to Wimbledon on the same day ..I could go on a while here but for me it's Villa away in 87' when Sheedy scored a volley from the edge of the area and 12-15000 of us went beserk.

Will never forget Sharp breaking Molby's nose though, classic.

MEMORY LANE

I remember the Villa away game in 87 because it was my first ever away game and I was 15 and went with 3 of my mates, Seems like a life time ago now, but as licker would say "I'm only a babe". didnt we win the league the next game after that againt norwich?

Despite all the success of the eights, I cant really remember any stand out moments, I guess when your that young your brains taking so much in that you take those times for granted and its only now looking back that you realise how good thing were. When you think back you could walk into the ground and pay in, you didnt need a season ticket and we were winning the league, shows how football is so popular now.

Anyway, my fondest match must be the semi final against spurs in 95, I didn't have a ticket and a few of my mates were going, and who got me a ticket?.............. My RS mate came up trumps because he new a man who new a man :D Im sure you all know the detail, but I (like someone mentioned about remembering the crowd and the atmos) always remeber how we had three sides of the ground and the massive banners that where passed over the heads of the crowd at both ends before kick off. BRILLAINT STUFF

Also that year we beat the mancs and dig dunc scored that header and we won one nil, remember that match for so many reasons, but its still the only time Everton have scored and I got butterflies and had to sit down while everyone was still cheering

Best memories are my away day trips, and one in particular in about 96ish when a minibus traveled from my local pub, where me and me bro knew the assistant manager who arranged it to a cup game against York, anyway we got beat but had a grand day out, and that was the first time I met a group of fellas who I still go the match with today. AINT FOOTBALL BRILLIANT

The retaken Sheedy free kick was the coolest thing I've ever seen on a football pitch....but most of all...

efc1984.jpg

...pure joy after a fourteen year wait.

Then the feeling in the eighties, pure faith..never worried about going a goal down, just thought "you'll regret that" and more often than not they did !!

Edited by mikeo

like Pat i was one of those who cried when we went 2-0 down at Wembley in 66 WITH ONLY HALF HOUR TO GO

Ease up Bill, pat was still floating about ther arl fellas pouch in 66!!!...Pat 1st graced the earth a cple later in 68.

However, me Dad had massive fond memories of that day & it was indoctrinated in to my self very very early.

I can only but wish I had been their.

Another fond 1 fer me was when Sharpy hit the post in the cup final v Watford & it then wnet in.

Wow....had been a long long time...but the raw emotion & the way we all went up was a memory ever etched.

Much like the Andy King goal, we a had not beaten the shiote for what seemed an etermity.

Moments like them if only once a decade or so..Make it all worth while......... :):D:D

p.s Anyhting Bob Latchford did was always special 2 for a yng chap with a blue twinkle in his eye... :D

Another fond 1 fer me was when Sharpy hit the post in the cup final v Watford & it  then wnet in.

Wow....had been a long long time...but the raw emotion & the way we all went up was a memory ever etched.

The micro second delay while I waited for the ref to disallow Andy Grays goal...which didn't happen. Up until that point I was nervous every time John Barnes got the ball..but that made us safe(ish).

only bein a nipper myself my memories arent as joyous as you lot.

was at all the nail bitters from the prem, bitter sweet them ones really!

last year is a nice long memory for me, liverpool game, united game, newcastle game. but my favourite memory is after the newcastle game in the wilmslow, had an argument with these 2blokes, turned out one was ronnie goodlass the other shae neary! got a photo though! :D

then john bailey stole my new Everton wrist band, funny man! but finished of with the legend that is dave hickson got on the mic to say how proud he was, and the "id die for Everton" line before getting teary and starting the best football song known to man "its a grand old team to play for......" was as loud in there as it is on the terraces!

as good as that memory is shame its not got any silverwear in it!

For me, (I have had a season ticket since '87) - the most memorable moments are:

Barry Hornes Saviour goal against wimbledon that kept us in the premiership - I will NEVER forget that one - and the pitch invasion that followed. Pure Joy and the atmosphere was electric - especially after conceding two early on...

Then there was the 4-1 drumming of Tottenham at Leeds (Elland Road) during the FA cup semi final - when Iamataxi (Sorry, Amokachi) scored two - when he should not have even been on the pitch! (Good ol'Joe Royle!)

Last match - was the 95 fa cup final - although a really shit game - we scored - we won and the atmosphere and partying was better than when we won the league in 87! - for two reasons..

we had beaten the best team in the country (althought Blackburn had won the league) - We were relegation fodder and had not won a game in 13 under mike walker at the start of the season...

It was like a rough justice for the poor season that we had...

Great moments for me...will stay forever!

Oh yeah - last but not least - when we had that dreadful start to the season (13 games - 4 points! if i remember correctly) - the rot was ended by an unlikely DIVING header from Gary Abblett at the Park end - night game against West Ham!

Another game that will stay permanently imprinted in my memory...

...until we die boys, until we die!

"Oh yeah - last but not least - when we had that dreadful start to the season (13 games - 4 points! if i remember correctly) - the rot was ended by an unlikely DIVING header from Gary Abblett at the Park end - night game against West Ham!"

yes, you have a good memory Rowlo. That game was the start of a 7 match unbeaten run. won 4, drawn 3 and never conceded a goal in any of them. <_<

finished 15th with 50 points.

bottom 3.....Ipswich, leicester, Norwich.

Edited by toffeelicker

"Oh yeah - last but not least - when we had that dreadful start to the season (13 games - 4 points! if i remember correctly) - the rot was ended by an unlikely DIVING header from Gary Abblett at the Park end - night game against West Ham!"

yes, you have a good memory Rowlo. That game was the start of a 7 match unbeaten run. won 4, drawn 3 and never conceded a goal in any of them. <_<

finished 15th with 50 points.

bottom 3.....Ipswich, leicester, Norwich.

If I remember correctly - we secured our premiership spot during our last league away game against Ipswich.

Graham Stuart and Paul Rideout hatched a plan on the team bus and carried it out on the field - Stuart took it tot he byline, crossed near post for Rideout to head home the only goal of the game...

Happy days - Safe in the prem - FA cup final to come!

some great memories there lads! (for those old enough to remember!)

• 10 months later...

Was a regular at Goodison (had my bar to sit on in the Street terraces) from when i was 6 (79/80) until the 82/83 season so memories are very hazy!!

A few I remember are the Cup 5th round replay v Spurs in 82(I think) and Goodison was packed, can mainly remember almost being crushed when lining to get in. Was also at the 6th round game against City, only time my dad ever bought a ticket to the Main stand.

There was also a 4-0 win against Boro.

Also remember David Johnson scoring on his return after being on as a sub for about a minute

I think I also remember Joe Royle scoring against us but it seemed off side??

Licker you may have to help me out here mate to see if they actually happened!!! :P

My best memory is more recent than most of you lot, the 1-0 win against Man United night game at Goodison a couple of seasons ago. It was the best atmosphere ive ever experienced, the 3-0 derby win came close though. When I think about that win against United I get a funny feeling in my stomach, I'll never forget that game as long as I live.

For all the wrong reasons the most profound and memorable moment I ever had watching Everton was staying up against Coventry it was the day I realised it was actually possible to cry tears of joy and have no control over those tears.

They ran down my face while I ran around the pitch with my 10 year old brother and 8 year old cousin one on each shoulder. That feeling will stay with me forever!

On a brighter note although only watching on TV the Spurs semi in 95 stands out and like Mark the Manure 1-0 purely for the atmosphere.

I'v had some quality away days too that are all very hazy and are usualy in the cup Plymouth a few seasons ago was quality purely for the company, Oxford United (must be 10 years ago now) I went in my school uniform bunked the coach and double clicked in. :D

Bristol in the 3rd round where Back-of-the-echo scored that screamer and we took 6,500 a couple of days after the new year that was pride at being an Evertonian. Also Boro in the league cup where Ferguson scored by making Swatzer (spelling?) shit out of a 50/50 in the area.

I'm gona stop now :P