IGNORED

England

Guest Nikica

Many people called it about Gerrard - an absolute liability. He can't play that role for shit.

To be fair to England (and I am ABE), even though Uruguay should have had it finished in that terrible period of yours in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half, you came back well after that and dominated large parts of the 2nd half. Nice to see Baines doing well as I wasn't sure about him at this level, but he really stepped up going forward.

Rooney and Cahill were both excellent in that 2nd half I thought. Welbeck seemed to give the ball away most of the time, Sterling looked tired, Sturridge was hit and miss but mostly miss.

Gerrard and Roy have to take the blame for this. Look at how many goals Liverpool conceded this season - how can anyone honestly think he's a good DM? He's a brainless player who's nothing now that his athleticism has gone. Utter shite. Say what you will about Lampard but you don't see moments of idiocy like that from him - mainly because he has infinitely more brains than Stevie Me.

I generally laugh when England are eliminated (will take something big now for you to progress), but I feel bad for decent English fans like the guys on here. You were looking good for a point at least until that clown fucked it up.

Edited by Nikica

It was mainly Gerrards fault but....

Cahill should have tracked Suarez run.... It's one of them. That snidely cart Suarez is just too clever. I blame the FA, why Hodgson was appointed I don't know. He's been a failure at numerous levels.

Many people called it about Gerrard - an absolute liability. He can't play that role for shit.

To be fair to England (and I am ABE), even though Uruguay should have had it finished in that terrible period of yours in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half, you came back well after that and dominated large parts of the 2nd half. Nice to see Baines doing well as I wasn't sure about him at this level, but he really stepped up going forward.

Rooney and Cahill were both excellent in that 2nd half I thought. Welbeck seemed to give the ball away most of the time, Sterling looked tired, Sturridge was hit and miss but mostly miss.

Gerrard and Roy have to take the blame for this. Look at how many goals Liverpool conceded this season - how can anyone honestly think he's a good DM? He's a brainless player who's nothing now that his athleticism has gone. Utter shite. Say what you will about Lampard but you don't see moments of idiocy like that from him - mainly because he has infinitely more brains than Stevie Me.

I generally laugh when England are eliminated (will take something big now for you to progress), but I feel bad for decent English fans like the guys on here. You were looking good for a point at least until that clown fucked it up.

Nikica, whilst I agree Gerrard is now finished. He was once one of the best midfielders in the world. I can agree with you at this stage of his career but you seem to base your opinion over the span of his 'whole' career.

It's over for him that's cemented now.

Guest Nikica

Nikica, whilst I agree Gerrard is now finished. He was once one of the best midfielders in the world. I can agree with you at this stage of his career but you seem to base your opinion over the span of his 'whole' career.

It's over for him that's cemented now.

No I don't. Even in his prime I didn't rate him as a central midfielder. He was at his best further up the park (attacking midfielder) where he could use his shooting power and running ability to great effect. The reason he looks so shite now is because his legs have gone so he can't play further up. He tries to shield the defence but he's terrible at it because he was a brainless player who used his athleticism to get by. Now the latter has gone but he's still the same tactically inept dolt he always was.

He had so many games where he failed to control or dominate the midfield, but he popped up with a screamer or an assist from a set-piece to win the game and everyone revised things to say he's been excellent. He's total hype mate. His best season came behind Torres and where did he play? You guessed it, in the hole with Alonso and Mascherano as the double pivot.

Midfielders control games. Gerrard doesn't do that. He was the king of headless chicken running and Hollywood passing.

Redondo, Xavi, Iniesta, Guardiola, Seedorf, Davids, Keane, Vieira, Scholes, Busquets, Pirlo, are all top midfielders who can screen, set tempo or a combination of those. Gerrard was never at that level.

I could go on and on but it's so clear that he was never a midfielder who could control a game. To call him 'one of the best midfielders in the world in his prime' is an insult to the position.

Pure hype job, but we have had this debate before so no point going through it again.

I agree with Arrigo Sacchi on Gerrard. But that would be an appeal to authority, so I won't say he's right.

Edited by Nikica

Some will blame this defender or that defender, but the truth is that England is weak across the board. As against Italy, this game was won and lost in midfield. Gerrard? Maybe played too deep but ineffective. Henderson? Inexperience showing. Welbeck? Did he even play? What about the forward line? Were they lethal or a constant threat? No. Compared to other teams, comparatively weak. And Hart was shaky at times in goal. Manager? Played too many players out of position. So it's not fair to blame just one player or one aspect of the team: Overall, it's simply a poor team. Strong nowhere and suspect everywhere. Miguel - I know you've disagreed throughout, and I don't want to sound unduly negative, but what matters are results. England's results? Played 2, lost 2. In both games, the opposition was at best average and the results a fair reflection of play.

Guest Nikica

Agree with most of that, but not sure I'd call Italy 'average'. Unless you are referring simply to that performance in that game solely.

Guest Nikica

Lots of people saying Rooney was poor. Think that's harsh - perhaps I overstated it by saying he was 'excellent' in the second half, but he was constantly involved and at least trying to create. I probably exaggerated but poor seems harsh.

dont buy this Cahills fault malarkey. Cahill stepped up and set Suarez offside, i.e. out of play unless one of your own players plays it back. Thats on Gerrard, as was the first one (though not completely)

dont buy this Cahills fault malarkey. Cahill stepped up and set Suarez offside, i.e. out of play unless one of your own players plays it back. Thats on Gerrard, as was the first one (though not completely)

By stepping up you are gambling though.... Always gambling. Suarez gamble paid off because Cahills didn't.