IGNORED

England

I can't help but smile at the BBC's spin on England's predicament: "Defeat means the odds are now stacked against England escaping this tough group."

Tough group? Even with Suarez, Uruguay had to win a play-off against Jordan to make it to the World Cup. Costa Rica are hardly a world footballing power, and Italy have been off the boil for years now. A tough group is what Australia found themselves in, and also the USA team. A tough group would have included Brazil or Argentina, for example. England were in one of the easier groups.

Odds are stacked against England? Italy must beat Costa Rica (current odds online are 11/20). Then Italy must beat Uruguay (current odds are 17/10) and England must beat Costa Rica by at least 3 goals (current odds are about 8/1). So that makes the odds of England getting through to be 20/31*10/27*1/9 = 40/1 (or 2.5%). That's about the same odds you can get on Spurs winning the Premier League next season. Yes, I'd say the "odds are now stacked against England".

Hodgson should resign just for his "Suarez isn't world class" comments alone - what an ablsolute fool. The lad was 70% fit at best and he no doubt had those words in his mind to keep him motivated right up till he scored the winner.

Harry Redknapp was the right man for this tournament - I don't particulary like his scruples etc, but he would have done better.

This sounds crazy but I would have Glenn Hoddle back in there, he knows his tactics, players, footballing principles etc etc.

Another note - ROSS BARKLEY.

He's an albatross for dour managers... its like giving a Ferrari to someone who's favourite car is a smart car for economy.

"I'm not prepared to address your obsession with Ross Barkley," said Hodgson.

"He lost the ball an awful lot of times as well. If he's going to be the player we want him to be, he has to make better decisions of when he turns with the ball.

"That's not a criticism, but there were other performances out there today who merited your 'obsession' more than Ross Barkley's.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

There’s been a lot of stuff said because he came in, done OK and done better than against Tottenham [his other Everton start during 2012/13], so I hope he is better again next time," said Moyes.

He's not ready to be someone who's starting every game and every week, that's for sure"

- Moyes on Ross Barkley, April 2013

"He has a lot of maturing to do to make sure he does not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. I can see he has got confidence from it, hopefully that will help. We have to bring him along and hope we get him better over the next year or two.

"If you’re dropping your shoulder and losing it at the edge of their box, it's not a problem – but if you’re doing it at the edge of your box then it is a problem. They are the sort of things he has to come to terms with. [Fans] would want to see a lot of him but I can tell you he's not ready to be someone who's starting every game and every week, that's for sure."

It's a real shame about Schneiderlin you know. I know he is French and was given British Citizenship, and FIFA ruled him out, but he is exactly what England need for the future.

We just don't have any midfield controlling, defensive minded Mids coming through the ranks, at all. The FA should have been on the blower to him years ago, telling him he could play for England for the rest of his career if he wanted to!

Exactly the type of player we need going forward. Most positions, we're ok in. The CDM/CM area is where we're currently lacking.

It's a real shame about Schneiderlin you know. I know he is French and was given British Citizenship, and FIFA ruled him out, but he is exactly what England need for the future.

We just don't have any midfield controlling, defensive minded Mids coming through the ranks, at all. The FA should have been on the blower to him years ago, telling him he could play for England for the rest of his career if he wanted to!

Exactly the type of player we need going forward. Most positions, we're ok in. The CDM/CM area is where we're currently lacking.

You know who I was thinking last night for the holding role if English... "James McCarthy", he would have been immense for this England side.

Are they really 'excellent' though, or are they just some quite good players?

I mean we've been hearing about how it's the manager's fault for decades. Surely there comes a point when it's time to acknowledge that the players simply aren't at that very top level? We know Roy' shit but top managers like Capello haven't done well with England (admittedly he made mistakes). Should still be good enough to have a realistic shot of beating Uruguay though, and you could have.

ok, exaggeration for a lot of them, but I think we do have 3-4 excellent prospects coming through. We just need a manager that can nurture rather hold back.

It's more likely that Italy beat both Costa Rica and Uruguay than not. It's not over

If Italy beat Costa Rica and qualify, they will put all their squad players out against Uruguay and rest their top players. Also, Uruguay need to beat Italy to qualify. Can't see any other result than a Uruguay win.

I can't help but smile at the BBC's spin on England's predicament: "Defeat means the odds are now stacked against England escaping this tough group."

Tough group? Even with Suarez, Uruguay had to win a play-off against Jordan to make it to the World Cup. Costa Rica are hardly a world footballing power, and Italy have been off the boil for years now. A tough group is what Australia found themselves in, and also the USA team. A tough group would have included Brazil or Argentina, for example. England were in one of the easier groups.

Odds are stacked against England? Italy must beat Costa Rica (current odds online are 11/20). Then Italy must beat Uruguay (current odds are 17/10) and England must beat Costa Rica by at least 3 goals (current odds are about 8/1). So that makes the odds of England getting through to be 20/31*10/27*1/9 = 40/1 (or 2.5%). That's about the same odds you can get on Spurs winning the Premier League next season. Yes, I'd say the "odds are now stacked against England".

That assumes Italy beat CR by only one goal; we'd actually have to beat them by three goals at most, not "at least" three. Am I grasping at straws :rofl:?

Edit: Just noticed that Haf made a similar point a few posts up :blush:.

If Italy beat Costa Rica and qualify, they will put all their squad players out against Uruguay and rest their top players. Also, Uruguay need to beat Italy to qualify. Can't see any other result than a Uruguay win.

Italy don't qualify for certain if they beat Costa Rica

Edited by MiguelCotto

Not really, Italy will not want to finish 2nd in the group.

Surprised, but I thought Baines has had a very poor world cup. Can anyone explain why Sturridge always seems to shoot at goal with the inside of his foot? He doesn't get much power doing this and scuffs a high proportion of shots. The only way to get power is to use the instep. Against Uruguay he had two shots from just inside the area which were so weak they looked like pass-backs to the goalie. Rooney played better but missed an open goal when he shot straight at the keeper.

BTW, I can tell you two players who would have made a big difference out there today (only they aren't English): McCarthy and Coleman.

You know who I was thinking last night for the holding role if English... "James McCarthy", he would have been immense for this England side.

Great minds, as they say.

(Harry) Redknapp said he felt the "future of English football" lay with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and Everton boss Roberto Martinez. "I think there's two young managers on Merseyside who are absolutely fantastic," he said. "When Roy does call it a day, I'd like to see England play the way Liverpool played this year under Rodgers or the way that Everton have played under Martinez."

And let's not forget that Brendan Rogers simply followed the strategy initiated at Swansea by Roberto Martinez and then replicated it at Liverpool.

(Harry) Redknapp said he felt the "future of English football" lay with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and Everton boss Roberto Martinez."I think there's two young managers on Merseyside who are absolutely fantastic," he said. "When Roy does call it a day, I'd like to see England play the way Liverpool played this year under Rodgers or the way that Everton have played under Martinez."

It doesn't surprise me. The players made up 8 members of the squad, from those two teams and most started. So why not play the systems that they're used to?

Stupid.

Guest Nikica

McCarthy is easily better than Gerrard in that holding role. A shame for you that he's not English, and a real shame for us that he didn't feel Scottish.

Italy need a draw to qualify as they and Uruguay both beat England 2-1 but Italy lost to CR by a goal fewer. Uruguay must win so no real option but to play Suarez again, I feel. I'm sure they'd rather not and have been able to rest him due to his injury problems but they have to go for it.

Edited by Nikica

Another amusing article on the BBC news site. Why do the English just assume that Scots, or any other Celts for that matter, will support the England team? And why get in a snit when we cheer an England loss? Scots cheer the Scottish team, Welsh cheer the Welsh team, and so on. Since Cornwall doesn't have a national football team, I cheer for all of the Celtic teams. Unfortunately, none of them are at the WC.

Edited by Cornish Steve

"Roy Hodgson has been in the game a long time but I said all along that Ashley Cole had to go," Merson added. "I also would have rung John Terry - we shouldn't play the young players if they're not better than what we already have in that position. - Paul Merson

I echoed this yesterday. Spot on.